• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest VIII announced for 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Quite a bit more powerful? Really?

I'm not a specs guy and don't really know how to quantify the two -- you're probably correct -- but I don't think I've seen a 3DS game that can come close to what DQ8 pulled off on the PS2. That's probably more to do with budget than specs, but still.

xenoblade does alot more than DQ8 does.
I agree that its probably not "quite a bit" more powrful than the PS2 tho.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I read DQVII announced, thought it was getting localized. Disappointing, I already have VIII on PS2. And this won't get released in English anyway.

You what sucks. I misread it as Dragon Quest VII and thought the game was finally getting localized. Fuck you Square Enix. Ruining people's hopes and dreams.

Kevinroc

I'm still hoping for an English DQ VII port. Now I'm gonna be hoping for a DQ VIII port that probably won't see a Western release as well?

(Sigh...)

bryehn

If there's a DQ8 HD, I will buy it on every system I can. I still have the PS2 disc I abused for a few hundred hours.

I wasn't considering the N3DS. Is there any chance this is exclusive like Xenoblade is?

Man, DQ8 and Xenoblade on the same platform. 3DS is a monster that could suck several hundred hours from me on those games alone.

True Fire

This means the entire Dragon Quest series can now be played on the 3DS and Wii U, which is huge for Nintendo and (Japanese) completionists.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I read DQVII announced, thought it was getting localized. Disappointing, I already have VIII on PS2. And this won't get released in English anyway.

The localization for this one is already done though unless they change a ton of stuff.

If this gets released here, with the dub and orchestral track intact it'll probably end up being the best version for me just because it won't have outrageous load times.

jackdoe

This is a surprising stealth announcement and not something I's expect for the franchise. Where were the timer countdown teaser sites?

xenoblade does alot more than DQ9 does.
Xenoblade visuals were compromised severely to make it work on the 3DS, and that's with the New 3DS exclusivity. I doubt this game will be New 3DS exclusive.

hongcha

I wasn't considering the N3DS. Is there any chance this is exclusive like Xenoblade is?

Not a chance, according to the official website, which states it will play on all 3DS systems. I wouldn't be surprised if it is "New 3DS enhanced", though. Better framerate, loading times, etc on a New 3DS.

Shauni

There's a decent amount of people around here who are essentially anti-handheld, and hate when "their" franchise ends up on one, or at least the weaker of the two current ones, because they, for whatever reason, just want to ignore the fact that the genre has, by and large, migrated there and a large fanbase is there for them.

I think there was some idea that DQ "switched sides" with that musou spin off being only on PS3/4, so I guess this is a bit of swerve for them.

Christian

I don't understand this. The recent HD versions of Square-Enix PS2 games - KH, KH2, FFX, FFX-2 - were great, and they sold really well. Why doesn't this get the same treatment? I mean, it makes sense either way. Portable stuff is selling better than console in Japan, 3DS is hardware king,, DQ has a longstanding history on Nintendo handhelds, now... But an HD version of this just makes more sense to me. Plus, being on 3DS, unless I really convince myself it's worth it to get a New 3DS from Japan, odds are good I'll likely never play it, anyway. Which blows.

Ibuki

Banned
I had to rub my eyes to make sure I read the title correctly. Not that I'll ever get a chance to play it, but one can dream.

Chesskid1

Banned
Why would you wait anyway? You're looking at 1080p+ vs 240p.

i don't know really, just for i could play it and justify my purchase/support DQ. i was going to say portability is pretty nice though for grinding, but its great on PC as well because i can multitask. if i finish my 1st playthrough in the next couple weeks i'd be hardpressed to buy it unless it's cheap.

shrug

Tizoc

new story stuff added
2 new party members
streetpass
fully voiced events
orchestrated music

Wow...oddest remake ever.

IIRC the JP ver. didn't have Orchestrated music but that was given for the English release, correct?
Who is developing this game? Level 5? Are S-E remaking it to distance itself from Level 5 or something?

Saroyan

I would have rather seen a PS4 or vita port, not like it matters since it will never be released outside japan anyway.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
This means the entire Dragon Quest series can now be played on the 3DS and Wii U, which is huge for Nintendo and (Japanese) completionists.

Only in Japan though right? Or are the VC games even out here on Wii? (I know DQ7 remake definitely isn't out here).

Mr. RPG

I mean Fantasy Life localization was announced during the Treehouse Event, I'm still holding hope.

I'm surprised people still even "hope" that VII will come out.

Square-Enix passed over VII a long time ago and you all know it. :(

They can be played in Wii mode on Wii u. (Dragon quest anniversary disc we (the west) never got)

Oh, we got those games. Just not on the Wii.

We got the awful mobile versions instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom