• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest VIII announced for 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrawnton

3DS can produce some fine graphics, but come on. SMT IV is one of the most ugly games I have ever played...

SMT IV was not a looker, but it was definitely an atmospheric game. At some times, the graphics were impressive.

It did some graphical tricks that show me DQVIII will run on 3ds very well.

It's crazy to think owners of a jp 3DS will be able to play DQ 4 through 10 on their system, as well as all "Monsters" games except Caravan heart.

Hugstable

Banned
Don't know if posted but the background of the site might just be a large in-game shot, it fits with the scans screens so...

Yup that looks in-game to me, looking great too! I have alot of hope that we may see this game here, I mean most of the work is done (unless they go craaaaazy on extras.)

Scrawnton

Yup that looks in-game to me, looking great too! I have alot of hope that we may see this game here, I mean most of the work is done (unless they go craaaaazy on extras.)

I am starting to think that we will see the game in america this year (or next february) and they will decide upon the dq7 localization if this one sells well enough. DQ8 on 3DS is a good card for nintendo to play, especially since they just pushed Xenoblade Chronicles 3D as the game to buy the n3DS for. Nintendo has turned the 3DS into the RPG system lately. Nintendo of American with need this game in the U.S.

Scrawnton

I recently pre-ordered it!!! Need more Dragon Quest!!!!!
I wonder if any of the bonuses apply to people who download the game directly from the eShop. I prefer downloading all of my 3DS games and would hope that I can download it when it hits NA and still get some of the bonuses they are offering.

Yeah, the background of the site is using in-game visuals, just rendered at a higher res. You can tell too because the texture filtering isn't perfect the further towards the wall you look on the ground.

Similar things have happened with the reveal for Monster Hunter Stories, which was all 3DS visuals running in high res -- the low res shadows stuck out like a sore thumb because of that. Also the trailers for The Great Ace Attorney.

SMT IV was not a looker, but it was definitely an atmospheric game. At some times, the graphics were impressive.

It did some graphical tricks that show me DQVIII will run on 3ds very well.

Indeed. I wasn't saying Shin Megami Tensei IV looks appealing, I just mean it's technically accomplished. It's certainly a game world I wouldn't spend another 50 hours in, a bit too oppressive for my liking, but it does its job well and packs in a decent amount of detail.

Scrawnton

Cant they patch the voice stuff in the ipad version?
I think they are trying to keep the file size down. Voice acting and orchestrated soundtrack accounted for 2+ gb of data. They don't want that for an iPad game. Plus the load ones are already outrageous without having to load VA...

entremet

I'd be really bummed if this doesn't come west.

I really want to replay this in portable form.

I still own my original PS2 disc, but these days I prefer to consume RPGs on the go.

Yagami_Sama

That is pretty good news and took a lot of time to happen.

Since they announced Dragon Quest VII for 3DS I was looking for foward for this and for some Final Fantasy games and when they announced DQ VIII for mobile and almost gave up.

Scrawnton

That is pretty good news and took a lot of time to happen.

Since they announced Dragon Quest VII for 3DS I was looking for foward for this and for some Final Fantasy games and when they announced DQ VIII for mobile and almost gave up.
I lost a lot of hope with the mobile announcements as well. This move returns some faith.

Wow I didn't know they were also adding Stuff. The old man in me doesn't like handheld gaming or care for the 3ds in general, but if this was to come to the US I think I will need to find a way to play it.

Dq8 is a top 5 rpg for me. Wish there was an hd ps4 version instead.

Scrawnton

Yes. We'll see if I'm right or wrong when it releases.
They've shown some screens in a magazine that shows it's the same graphics and presentation wise. Heck, the game will probably look better on 3ds since it was very low res on ps2.

I'm personally very excited for how it's going to look on 3ds.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Yes. We'll see if I'm right or wrong when it releases.

Well the 3DS--the new one at the very least--can handle Xenoblade, a game that is much more demanding and massively bigger in scale compared to DQVIII... so I think this game will do just fine even if the end result might not really bleeding edge.

rjc571

Banned
They've shown some screens in a magazine that shows it's the same graphics and presentation wise. Heck, the game will probably look better on 3ds since it was very low res on ps2.

I'm personally very excited for how it's going to look on 3ds.

You realize PS2 games run at ~3x the resolution of 3DS games, right?

Wereroku

Well the 3DS--the new one at the very least--can handle Xenoblade, a game that is much more demanding and massively bigger in scale compared to DQVIII... so I think this game will do just fine even if the end result might not really bleeding edge.

Xenoblade was super ambitious but it looks pretty rough compared to the original. Also isn't this just a port of the IOS game? That has a lot of problems.

Eolz

Xenoblade was super ambitious but it looks pretty rough compared to the original. Also isn't this just a port of the IOS game? That has a lot of problems.

From what we've seen on scans, this looks like a PS2 port, not an iOs one.

Scrawnton

You realize PS2 games run at ~3x the resolution of 3DS games, right?
okay, let me rephrase this: playing dragon quest 8 on modern screens is blown out and very low rezzed. Depending on how they handle this port, it could be very beautiful on the 3ds without much loss of detail. DQ8 is a cell shaded game with some flat color textures which could translates very well to 3DS' resolution. But this all depends on the amount of effort square puts in to it.

Have we got any non-scan screenshots yet?

Just scans so far. It is weird they announced the game a week ago and never published assets outside of a magazine page. Japan is very backwards when it comes to announcing and revealing games sometimes.

Gloam

Just scans so far. It is weird they announced the game a week ago and never published assets outside of a magazine page. Japan is very backwards when it comes to announcing and revealing games sometimes.

This often seems to be the case usually takes a couple of weeks for a video trailer or screenshots to pop-up.

chrono01

I really hope this one is released in NA. After Dragon Quest VII for the 3DS [which still pains me to this day...], I'm not going to get my hopes up. However, considering how well DQ8 did here, and most of the translation stuff is already completed [unless they add additional stuff], it does give it a slightly higher chance.

Regardless, if it's released in NA, I will purchase it. DQ8 remains one of my favorite RPG's of all time.

You realize not all PS2 games run at 640x480, right?

Technically that'd be about 4. :p Bottom screen is at 320x240 (top is 400x240), multiply that by 4 is 640x480 since you're increasing the amount of pixels by 4 times, two horizontally and 2 vertically. :p Also note the near 16:9 aspect ratio of the top screen so if you subtract the extra view and pixels it's still 320x240. XD

lupin23rd

Yesterday I logged onto the Japanese eShop wondering if this news had resulted in a sale on DQVII, and I see that the following games are all priced at 3024 yen (~$30?):

Dragon Quest Monsters
Dragon Quest Monsters 2
Dragon Quest VII

Have they been marked down or is this a sale? Didn't see a date on the notice.

WillyFive

Technically that'd be about 4. :p Bottom screen is at 320x240 (top is 400x240), multiply that by 4 is 640x480 since you're increasing the amount of pixels by 4 times, two horizontally and 2 vertically. :p Also note the near 16:9 aspect ratio of the top screen so if you subtract the extra view and pixels it's still 320x240. XD

800x240, it is a 3D screen.

Er, yes, I know that. I wasn't focusing on his math error :p. You probably should've replied to his post, not mine :p. Not that I really mind, lol.

rjc571

Banned
Tales of the Abyss was a port from PS2 to 3DS and it had to be downgraded. Many textures were lower res than in the original game.

PS2: 640x480 = 307,200 pixels

3DS: 320x240 + 800x240 = 268,800 pixels

Not 3x the resolution. But that's using both the top and bottom screens. :p

It's a Square Enix game, so it's probably not going to have 3D, and even if it did, the effective resolution is still only a tiny bit higher than 400x240.

Also PS2 games are usually 640x448.

It's a Square Enix game, so it's probably not going to have 3D

Huh? Which of their 3DS games haven't been in 3D?

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy was in 3D, though I hear the DQ one might not be. Bravely Default was 3D. Kingdom Hearts 3D was 3D. I assume Dragon Quest Monsters Terry's Wonderland 3D was 3D.

Oregano

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy was in 3D, though I hear the DQ one might not be. Bravely Default was 3D. Kingdom Hearts 3D was 3D. I assume Dragon Quest Monsters Terry's Wonderland 3D was 3D.

FF Explorers isn't even though it looks pretty bad graphically.

Final Fantasy Explorers also isn't 3D IIRC, neither was Theatrhythm Dragon Quest.

Edit: Beaten.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Tales of the Abyss was a port from PS2 to 3DS and it had to be downgraded. Many textures were lower res than in the original game.

PS2: 640x480 = 307,200 pixels

3DS: 320x240 + 800x240 = 268,800 pixels

Not 3x the resolution. But that's using both the top and bottom screens. :p

Tales of the abyss is an upgrade actually. Faster loading time and its wide screen on the 3DS

Tales of the abyss is an upgrade actually. Faster loading time and its wide screen on the 3DS
It's a mix actually, they downgraded some like models and Music quality to fit into a smaller cart size. It's just BN being cheap on the cart, they should have went for a bigger size cart.

sörine

Banned
Better framerate in the overworld, worse in battles. Also stereoscopic 3D, which is a big resource drain.

On specs alone 3DS dwarfs PS2 in memory and GPU functions, although it has a slower CPU. Still PS2 likely couldn't have run games like TOTA or MGS3 in 3D without bigger performance drops than those ports have seen on 3DS. And it'd have choked entirely on something ground up like RER.

Sinoox

Banned
So is this coming to America? I loved this game so much I restarted just because I didn't want to finish it.

If it's nothing like the Android port I'm going to be incredibly happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom