• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Wars for the DSiware

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
It looks fucking ugly in those screens but IntSys + DQ is one combination I can't refuse, this will be the first thing I purchase with my DSi... whenever I get one.

Hobbun

I hope it has a good single player story mode. If not, probably won't buy then, however much I love DQ. I just am not big on multi-player focused games.

Aeana

Kazenone said:
I wonder what Aeana thinks...
"Eh."

I've disliked more Dragon Quest spinoffs than I've liked, and this doesn't look particularly interesting (yet?). We'll see how it turns out.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
It's a "DQ game" developed by IS but yeah, I don't know. I hope it's good but I can't say I'm that interested aside from the pedigree.

Hobbun

donny2112 said:
F

Intelligent Systems doing the development on Dragon Quest X confirmed. :D

Seriously? Where did you hear that?

If this is true, does that mean the cell-shaded look of DQ 8 and 9 would be going away. I know that look is more attributed to games by Level 5.

ElFly

Mmm, color me interested, although if this is more advance-wars-y than fire-emblem-y (as the title suggests) I'll probably pass

Hobbun said:

If this is true, does that mean the cell-shaded look of DQ 8 and 9 would be going away. I know that look is more attributed to games by Level 5.

No he was just making an extrapolation like I did on the last page. If they are working with the Dragon Quest property currently, they could be the mysterious developer of Dragon Quest X as we know that it isn't Level 5, since they are so busy.

Aeana

Stopsign said:
No he was just making an extrapolation like I did on the last page. If they are working with the Dragon Quest property currently, they could be the mysterious developer of Dragon Quest X as we know that it isn't Level 5, since they are so busy.
We don't "know" it's not Level-5. These are all assumptions, from all sides.

Aeana said:
We don't "know" it's not Level-5. These are all assumptions, from all sides.

Yeah, sorry if that sounded confusing. They definitely could still be developing it, but it seems likely that they aren't. It seems that Dragon Quest X is being developed parallel to Dragon Quest IX, and if it is, it doesn't seem practical for Level 5 to be developing both.

Hobbun

BishopLamont said:
Level-5 and SE should be done with DQIX by now or very soon, I don't see why they can't be developing DQX also.

Actually, the development should be done now for IX. The game is being released in July, the game will be going gold very soon.

Advice-Shane-what-am-i-looking-at-quite-frankly.jpg

I think this Advice Shane fits this thread more than any other gaming discussion thread on the boards right now.

donny2112

Hobbun said:

Not seriously. I don't believe the developer (or any other thing of consequence besides platform) has been announced for DQX. However, I find it very interesting that IS is doing this DSiWare game with SE, and we don't know who will be the DQX developer (other than a general belief that it won't be L5 again).

Hobbun

BishopLamont said:
I think I said exactly that just then. :lol

Yeah, sorry, I guess I was referring to the "very soon" portion you were talking about. Just clarifying it should be done, period. But then who really knows. Knowing SE, it could be delayed again and they haven't told us.

Aeana

Hobbun said:
Yeah, sorry, I guess I was referring to the "very soon" portion you were talking about. Just clarifying it should be done, period. But then who really knows. Knowing SE, it could be delayed again and they haven't told us.
They won't announce the delay until July 1 so they can upset consumers and retailers yet again.

Hobbun

donny2112 said:
Not seriously. I don't believe the developer (or any other thing of consequence besides platform) has been announced for DQX. However, I find it very interesting that IS is doing this DSiWare game with SE, and we don't know who will be the DQX developer (other than a general belief that it won't be L5 again).

Not sure why SE wouldn't go with Level 5 again, I thought they did a great job with 8 and 9 looks very good. Unless Level 5 would say no, which I would doubt.

I think the delays for DQIX probably had something to do with Level-5 not getting things done in time, since they have been developing more of their own games then they did in previous gen. I could be jumping the gun on them, because we are talking about SE here. Still I don't think they'll delay it again, but then again I was certain they'd release it end of last year. I don't even want to start on when DQX will arrive. :lol

GaussTek

king zell said:
- The first of 6 DSi-exclusive games from Square-Enix & Intelligent Systems in the works (doesn't specify if the rest are DSiWare or DSi-cart games)

Yeah, I found that more interesting than this game, can't wait to see the other games (E3 can't come soon enough).

donny2112

comedy bomb said:
I think that part is a mistranslation.

I think so, too. It's just coming out in June (month 6).

If IS is actually going to be the developer on DQX, would this be a good enough indication that Nintendo is reaching out and providing non-directly monetary "incentives" to third-parties to develop for the Wii?

apujanata

Gunloc said:
Dragon Quest AND Intelligent Systems? Yes please.

Oh my God. SRPG by Intelligent Systems + DQ game made by the DQ 3 God (Horii, Toriyama and Sugiyama) means I have to buy DSi whenever this game release in US.

I need to start saving money for DSi.

Was there ever a non-main DQ game that didn't involve those 3 people ?

Hobbun said:
Not sure why SE wouldn't go with Level 5 again, I thought they did a great job with 8 and 9 looks very good. Unless Level 5 would say no, which I would doubt.

Well, Level 5 are busy with those Prof. Layton games, and Inazuma Eleven games. With fatter margin from those 2 series, I can see possibilities that Level 5 will say "no" to developing DQ X games (since I believe the margin as developer only is much less than developer + publisher), and I couldn't imagine that SE will let Level 5 publish DQX

Spiegel

donny2112 said:
I think so, too. It's just coming out in June (month 6).

If IS is actually going to be the developer on DQX, would this be a good enough indication that Nintendo is reaching out and providing non-directly monetary "incentives" to third-parties to develop for the Wii?

Genius Sonority - DQ: Swords

Aeana

apujanata said:
Oh my God. SRPG by Intelligent Systems + DQ game made by the DQ 3 God (Horii, Toriyama and Sugiyama) means I have to buy DSi whenever this game release in US.

I need to start saving money for DSi.

Was there ever a non-main DQ game that didn't involve those 3 people ?
Eh... Dragon Quest Wars is only being produced by Horii, like most other spinoffs. The only spinoffs for which Horii has actually done game design and stuff are Dragon Quest Monsters and Dragon Quest Swords.

Jiggy

ShockingAlberto said:
The use of "Wars" in an Intelligent Systems game makes me hope maps will be on par with the Advance Wars series.
The title makes me want to believe; the screenshot, not so much. It's a straightforward rectangle. :(

Cygnus X-1

- The first of 6 DSi-exclusive games from Square-Enix & Intelligent Systems in the works (doesn't specify if the rest are DSiWare or DSi-cart games)

That's quite an explosive combination. Quoted in order to be better noticed.

Yes!!! Intelligent Systems!!!! Oh... Dragon Quest? Way to kill all the excitement. Fire Emblem 20th anniversary's coming, I'd rather they focus on FE than work on a DQ spin-off.

kswiston

I'd be more excited if this was a full fledged game. It's nice that S-E and IS are teaming up to make some worthwhile games for DSi, but for $5 I'd be surprised if this game is longer than 2-3 hours.

Aeana

kswiston said:
I'd be more excited if this was a full fledged game. It's nice that S-E and IS are teaming up to make some worthwhile games for DSi, but for $5 I'd be surprised if this game is longer than 2-3 hours.
I don't imagine it'll be much of a single-player experience. It seems like the focus is on the multiplayer battle aspect, which should make whatever the price is worth it for people who are into that.

EDIT: Oh, the article actually says 500 points. Color me surprised.

Chairhome

So did this actually come out in Japan? Browsed the last page of this thread and it seems no one has actually played it. Its out now in America, just wanted to see if anyone had any impressions... I'll be buying this as soon as I get home. 500 pts, can't go wrong, right?

ethelred

I'm a huge fan of Dragon Quest, and I'm a huge fan of Intelligent Systems... but I have about 0 interest in this game. 500 points is too many for it, I'm afraid.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ethelred said:
I'm a huge fan of Dragon Quest, and I'm a huge fan of Intelligent Systems... but I have about 0 interest in this game. 500 points is too many for it, I'm afraid.

I'm not wild about the concept so I probably won't bite, but I don't think I'd be any more willing to buy at 200 points. It doesn't strike me that it's bad value, it's just not a super compelling idea to me.

apujanata

ethelred said:

500 points is not a big money (it is only $5, right ?). As long as there is sufficient "meat" or "game play" on it, I'll bite. I am especially intrigued with 4 player multiplay. I wonder whether you have to purchase it for each DSi, or will it support something like Download-play ?

Chairhome said:
Its out now in America, just wanted to see if anyone had any impressions.
Have you bought it ? Any impression yet ? I would like comparison with DQ: Rocket Slime and/or Advance Wars or Fire Emblem (if you have played any of those game).

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I've been playing the Japanese version for a bit now, and I quite enjoy it. The single player levels feel a lot like puzzles, trying to move and situate your troops so you can kill enemies in the least amount of moves so they don't get a chance to hit you.

I haven't played much battle, but the modes I tried were interesting (including an invasion mode where you just need to occupy enemy space to win).

I need to play more of it.

Top Bottom