• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X announced for Windows PCs (Benchmark and Beta signups available now)

Without any word on a western release, it's hard for me to feel strongly about this news one way or another. If it helps out some DQ fans who don't own Wii/Wii U though, I guess it's good news.

Forgive my ignorance, but will the PC players be on different servers from the Wii U players? Because if both platforms can play on the same servers, then there's an argument to be made that this could actually help Wii U sales/subscriptions. MMOs rely on strong communities (network effects) after all, so a stronger player base, whatever the source, should theoretically make the game more enticing to everyone, right?

Frodo

One can't help but think the paltry WiiU sales have something to do with this. Of course, it's an MMO so when it was announced for WiiU, one of the first things I said that this should at least be on PC as well.

I don't think Wii U version has anything to do with this. Mostly because this game was also released on the Wii and the Wii has a very considerable userbase. If people wanted to play this they would have bought it for the Wii. PC version was probably on the plan even before the Wii U entered the equation.

Porcile

In Japan I can see why this is important. For the hypothetical localised version, how many Dragon Quest fans are there in the US/EU that don't have a Wii U anyway and will surge out to play the game on PC? Most people who play DQ in the west these days are kids with DS's anyway.

teiresias

So which of the two has the better gameplay systems?

FFXIV:ARR or DQX?

Quite frankly I'm quite a bit over the overused Level-5 style of DQ. Sure, it allows a faithful rendition of the original designs, but it's gotten quite stale at this point - I'd almost prefer a retro 8-bit game at this point or something a bit more Pixar or Knack like actually.

However, I'm more interested in what people think of the two games that have played them both.

[EDIT] Doh, didn't realize DQX wasn't even localized. Doesn't matter then. Also, the screenshots on the second page look worse than DQ8 running on PCSX2 on my PC. Uggh.

Hex

Banned
I think this seals the fact that a non handheld Dragon Quest / Dragon Warrior game ever seeing the light of day is a fantasy.
As has been said though, this is good for the population of the game, and MMOs live and die by that.

Silky

Banned
The nintendo brand is finally over. Maybe next decade!

It's over, period. nintendo lost their last ace, and that's the end of their wii u hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for wii u. nintendo has nothing left, nothing they have can fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for anyone, hardcore or casual, to substantially invest in a wii u. Except if they want to play bayonetta 2. Which will also come to xbox one at some point.

Microsoft took the last reason away that anyone would NEED to own a wii u over an xbox one (except TVII LOL GAMING), and the cavalcade of tiny titles that will be nice but won't stir up any sales is not going to salvage the bloated, overdesigned behemoth that was wii u.

There may be some hardcore gamers that stick around. Some did it for ps3 too. But the last bell tolled. Maybe next decade.

The age of nintendo is done.

supa-hot-fire.gif

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I don't think Wii U version has anything to do with this. Mostly because this game was also released on the Wii and the Wii has a very considerable userbase. If people wanted to play this they would have bought it for the Wii. PC version was probably on the plan even before the Wii U entered the equation.

Financial viability has EVERYTHING to do with a pay to play MMO. WiiU's low install base is growing but at a crawl. This makes a lot of sense and will at least bring a wider audience in all the while being cross platform so population (and ultimately, subscriptions) will flourish more.

SparkTR

In Japan I can see why this is important. For the hypothetical localised version, how many Dragon Quest fans are there in the US/EU that don't have a Wii U anyway and will surge out to play the game on PC? Most people who play DQ in the west these days are kids with DS's anyway.

There's plenty of people on PC who just float between MMOs, consume all their content and move on, and I'm willing to be these guys don't own consoles or play MMOs on them. This'll be an attractive game not because it's DQ, but because it has a unique art-style compared to other MMOs. I'd wager they aren't trying to rope in the DQ audience, but the PC MMO audience.

Frodo

Financial viability has EVERYTHING to do with a pay to play MMO.

If you are saying that this could make people that don't have a Wii or a Wii U buy the game I, of course, agree with you.

But some people are implying that there will be a PC version because Wii U isn't selling well enough, which I don't think is the case, since the game wasn't selling like hot cakes even with the Wii installed base.

But, yes. This is the right move from SE perspective, and will certainly help to gather more subscriptions.

Sou

It's difficult to gauge how many DQ fans there are in the west who would be interested in a localized version, but a PC version practically eliminates any barrier there used to be.

Maybe fans can organize some sort of campaign to let SE know the demand for an English version.

mothball

Of course, there's an IP block on the online mode.

7b7cdec21a6ojeb.jpg

The offline mode doesn't require a login, though (didn't even notice I had the wrong account in the box), in case you want to download 3.55GB for an extended benchmark for some reason.

StuBurns

Banned
That is a pretty bad looking game, wow. I thought the Wii U version would have a bunch of upgrades and this would include them. It looks like a Dreamcast game.

LeleSocho

Banned
My point still applies. Some people dont even have labtops. Just cause the requirements are low dont mean they are having a great experience running the game. I personally fix pcs and labtops on the side and you wouldnt believe how bad people dont know how to take care of their pcs and labtops. Lol

I said laptops because they are the weakest type of pcs, if it can run decently on several years old laptops on desktops it really goes with no sweat.
No i don't think the point still applies because unless nintendo takes a cut on the monthly fee of the game (thing that can be but i am not aware of) they don't "win" anything because the only consequence affecting nintendo would be that DQX players will continue to play thanks to the higher userbase, higher userbase that probably would not spend money on console+game because it runs easily on the home pc/laptop/whatever.

Porcile

There's plenty of people on PC who just float between MMOs, consume all their content and move on, and I'm willing to be these guys don't own consoles or play MMOs on them. This'll be an attractive game not because it's DQ, but because it has a unique art-style compared to other MMOs. I'd wager they aren't trying to rope in the DQ audience, but the PC MMO audience.

Suppose. I'm coming at this from DQ-fan perspective and not a casual MMO gamer. This is a good announcement for Japan because it will populate the game further on all platforms, but I don't think it stands a chance over here to be honest.

Cmagus

Of course, there's an IP block on the online mode.

7b7cdec21a6ojeb.jpg

The offline mode doesn't require a login, though (didn't even notice I had the wrong account in the box), in case you want to download 3.55GB for an extended benchmark for some reason.

Hopefully on PC someone will find a way around this.

Suppose. I'm coming at this from DQ-fan perspective and not a casual MMO gamer. This is a good announcement for Japan because it will populate the game further on all platforms, but I don't think it stands a chance over here to be honest.

I doubt they will localize it only because they need FFXIV to be a success and recoup some money they certainly aren't gonna want that much competition. If they are though I doubt it will be soon but the good thing is if they don't block ip some group may possibly do a translation just like PSO 2.

Eiolon

I may have been excited. Then I read this article on kotaku a couple of days ago.

kotaku.com/a-look-inside-a-wii-game-gold-farm-515189820

Even if they removed the fee, I just can't see this game get a decent population in NA past the initial month. Pop numbers means a lot in a MMO.

I'd play it a bit just because I'm a DQ fan, but it doesn't look like an AAA MMO worth investing time into.

LiquidMetal14

If you are saying that this could make people that don't have a Wii or a Wii U buy the game I, of course, agree with you.

But some people are implying that there will be a PC version because Wii U isn't selling well enough, which I don't think is the case, since the game wasn't selling like hot cakes even with the Wii installed base.

But, yes. This is the right move from SE perspective, and will certainly help to gather more subscriptions.

I'm not disagreeing with you pre se but the WiiU's less than stellar sales had to come into play in some form. Putting an MMO on a floundering console and asking you to pay a monthly fee isn't the recipe for financial success so this was the right move.

The main thing we know is this was announced as a Wii/WiiU cross platform game. Now it's on PC. Something changed since the announcement.

I still contend that this benefits everyone and you could not do a beta the same way you can do it on a PC as you can on limited console like WiiU. Wise choice putting this bench up as that's how it should be done.

fek

I really wasn't expecting for this. I don't know if this will raise or lower the chances of localization.

iavi

Holy hell, this is one ugly game. But, this was the most entertaining benchmark tool ever.

Would anyone know why I can't get it to go over 720p?

I said laptops because they are the weakest type of pcs, if it can run decently on several years old laptops on desktops it really goes with no sweat.
No i don't think the point still applies because unless nintendo takes a cut on the monthly fee of the game (thing that can be but i am not aware of) they don't "win" anything because the only consequence affecting nintendo would be that DQX players will continue to play thanks to the higher userbase, higher userbase that probably would not spend money on console+game because it runs easily on the home pc/laptop/whatever.

Going by previous experience everyone wins with this, Including nintendo. People are still playing ffxi on 360 and my brother is planning to play ff14 on ps3. Many players are planning to do the same. Yet nintendo doesn't get the same treatment. Yea you keep laughing alone.

Expected, and clears the way for a western release pretty nicely. This should be big in Asia too hopefully.

For those wondering ltd DQX sold about 650k on Wii and close to 200k on Wii U. No insight into subscriptions other than it hitting 400k last fall. It's already set the sales/subscription record for a MMORPG in Japan afaik (FFXI was the previous champ having sold about 200k on PS2, 20k 360, and subscribers peaked around 200k iirc).

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
It does make sense financially for SE to release this on PC. I mean, how many console exclusive MMOs do you know of? And their last efforts on consoles (FFXI and XIV) haven't been console exclusives either. As long as they bring it over here, that's all I care about right now!

And wow at those sales numbers if true. Doubt it would have the same impact outside of Japan though :(

SparkTR

What are the chances of a fan translation patch happening? I know they did it with PSO2.

Look towards Korean MMOs for the chances. Much like them this has an IP block, and though it's possible to get around that if they see you speaking in English it's an instant ban (or so I've read).

Meikiyou

Financial viability has EVERYTHING to do with a pay to play MMO. WiiU's low install base is growing but at a crawl. This makes a lot of sense and will at least bring a wider audience in all the while being cross platform so population (and ultimately, subscriptions) will flourish more.

And more players make the game more attaractive, which will help the game even on wii and wii u side of things, besides, wasn't S-E preparing some kind of promotion so people would play DQX together, as of now I believe most players were playing the game solo.

LiquidMetal14

That is a pretty bad looking game, wow. I thought the Wii U version would have a bunch of upgrades and this would include them. It looks like a Dreamcast game.

It looks like an HD Wii game but has that charming DQ art direction. Looks a little better than a DC game thought.

Zee-Row

Banned
Look towards Korean MMOs for the chances. Much like them this has an IP block, and though it's possible to get around that if they see you speaking in English it's an instant ban (or so I've read).

That really sucks , I bought a Wii U with the hopes that this would come over. I thought Iwata was involved in pushing the Dragon Quest brand harder in the U.S?

Ridley327

Yeah, it's pretty awful; it doesn't so much show its Wii roots as it is basically the Wii game running in Dolphin.

The story is cute, though.

LeleSocho

Banned
Going by previous experience everyone wins with this, Including nintendo. People are still playing ffxi on 360 and my brother is planning to play ff14 on ps3. Many players are planning to do the same. Yet nintendo doesn't get the same treatment. Yea you keep laughing alone.

Yeah maybe if you can explain me why maybe i'll stop laughing, you keep saying that nintendo wins in this but without any type of reason to back that up... 'til now you only showed that people that already have the console and the game wins.

Kouriozan

I don't know how nintendo can win with this but i'm sure there are lots of DQ fans that are happy because they finally can play the game through fan patches even if it's not localized

More people to play with, more eager to buy it on any platform.
Everyone wins.

Yeah maybe if you can explain me why maybe i'll stop laughing, you keep say that nintendo wins in this but without any type of reason to back that up...

Already gave you them. Not my problem if you dont get it. You are pretty much alone in this thread if you havent noticed. Lol

KiTA

Looks like generic button prompts so far (this is with a 360 controller).

It recommended doing the offline mode first, so I'm trying that.

Oh hey, that's right, the game's beta opened today too. Did you have to jump through any hoops to get in?

Edit: Oh, nevermind, saw your followup post. Turns out SE Japan still believes in that Xenophobic racist "filthy barbarians" bullshit, eh? Good to know.

Also: Holy crap, this "Nintendo is the doomed" crap is getting tiresome, take it to a different thread, ffs.

Porcile

And more players make the game more attaractive, which will help the game even on wii and wii u side of things, besides, wasn't S-E preparing some kind of promotion so people would play DQX together, as of now I believe most players were playing the game solo.

Which of course throws up the age-old question of why DQX was a bloody MMO in the first place.

Money, I know...

KiTA

I'd love to see some numbers on that, it sounds like more FUD and bellyaching about it being an MMO than anything else.

Zee-Row

Banned
This has to come out in the U.S. now that I think about it. Why would they release this on PC when its not a popular platform in Japan? To this day more people in Japan play FFXI on PS2 than PC. Maybe they want to get the larger U.S. PC market here.

Foffy

Banned
I guess the worst case scenario for this game is either fans have to hack the PC version into English, or create a massive hack for the Wii version to put it in English and find a way to get it to run in Dolphin...

Unless it gets localized, of course.

Ridley327

This has to come out in the U.S. now that I think about it. Why would they release this on PC when its not a popular platform in Japan? To this day more people in Japan play FFXI on PS2 than PC. Maybe they want to get the larger U.S. PC market here.

It's more likely that this is geared towards eastern markets where MMOs are quite popular on the PC, like China and South Korea

LeleSocho

Banned
Already gave you them. Not my problem if you dont get it. You are pretty much alone in this thread if you havent noticed. Lol

I'm not the one who do not get it since i showed you why your point is flawed, again you showed how people who has the game benefits of this situation not the company nintendo, no one is going to buy the game and the console because is the most expensive solution.
I am alone in this thread because everyone are happy about the game but i that i not care about it i watch this situation as an outsider
But if you want to keep thinking that the company Nintendo "wins" in this for whatever reason so be it, in any case i don't think either of us are shareholders nintendo so we are not directly involved in this decision

Top Bottom