• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X announced for Windows PCs (Benchmark and Beta signups available now)

KiTA

This has to come out in the U.S. now that I think about it. Why would they release this on PC when its not a popular platform in Japan? To this day more people in Japan play FFXI on PS2 than PC. Maybe they want to get the larger U.S. PC market here.

That's kinda what I thought about the changes to DQM Terry's Wonderland; the addition of NWFC "Streetpass" kinda screamed "Changes to make it better in the US," but well, you saw how that turned out. (We may still get it in 2014, but I'd be surprised -- until we hear differently, Dragon Quest is dead in the US.)

mothball

dqxoffline2013-06-220j9pnx.jpg

dqxoffline2013-06-221yppbr.jpg

Not that there isn't enough gameplay info out there already (I just wanted an excuse to post screens), but the combat is just... yeah. Even FFXIV's subscription is a hard sell in the current MMO climate; there is absolutely no way this could come overseas without being F2P.

This has to come out in the U.S. now that I think about it. Why would they release this on PC when its not a popular platform in Japan? To this day more people in Japan play FFXI on PS2 than PC. Maybe they want to get the larger U.S. PC market here.
Could just be for Asian markets. It does sort of imply some level of international release at least though, even if not western.

The nintendo brand is finally over. Maybe next decade!

It's over, period. nintendo lost their last ace, and that's the end of their wii u hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for wii u. nintendo has nothing left, nothing they have can fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for anyone, hardcore or casual, to substantially invest in a wii u. Except if they want to play bayonetta 2. Which will also come to xbox one at some point.

Microsoft took the last reason away that anyone would NEED to own a wii u over an xbox one (except TVII LOL GAMING), and the cavalcade of tiny titles that will be nice but won't stir up any sales is not going to salvage the bloated, overdesigned behemoth that was wii u.

There may be some hardcore gamers that stick around. Some did it for ps3 too. But the last bell tolled. Maybe next decade.

The age of nintendo is done.

While I understand completely your criticisms of Nintendo, if you think Zelda an Smash Bros aren't going to sell a shitload of Wii U's, you're grossly mistaken.

Will it be enough to stay at a level playing field with MS and Sony? No way.

Berordn

The benchmark video was super adorable, and now I'm a bit upset that we're never going to see this in the west.

Probably good for Square in the long run, though I can't imagine having three MMOs running against each other is a great idea in the long run.

Nerokis

People had meltdowns about the news of DQX exclusive even if it was an mmo but it's not even that the point, as i said is one less exclusive for nintendo and one less reason to buy a N console.
So yes if i have your permission i laugh at the incompetence of nintendo in these last 4-5 years, if they handled things better this would've happened way later or not at all (do i have to remind you that this is happened only 3 months after the release on wiiu that should've boosted the sales?)

This move will have little impact on Nintendo. The game was first released almost a year ago, and I highly doubt the Wii U version is still selling all that much. I mean, it only sold around 33,000 copies during its first week. The fact that it's not having much of an impact is probably exactly why they decided to announce a PC version. MMOs thrive way more on PC than consoles (especially Wii/Wii U, I imagine), and it just makes sense for the health of the game to release there. No one is going to buy a Wii U for a potentially dead MMO, so if this move helps keep the game lively (I'm pretty sure all versions of the game will share servers, no?), I think this is overall a good thing.

Anyway, suddenly the chances of localization seem much higher. Wooo!

KiTA

I'm not the one who do not get it since i showed you why your point is flawed, again you showed how people who has the game benefits of this situation not the company nintendo, no one is going to buy the game on the console because is the most expensive solution.
I am alone in this thread because everyone are happy about the game but i that i not care about it i watch this situation as an outsider
But if you want to keep thinking that the company Nintendo "wins" in this for whatever reason so be it, in any case i don't think either of us are shareholders nintendo so we are not directly involved in this decision

The console version is hardly the most expensive solution, considering the state of PC gaming in Japan.

You're looking at a $20 Wii game running on a dirt cheap Wii or slightly more expensive Wii U, the former you probably already have, the latter, again, you probably already have.

Meanwhile, the PC version is what, 3 months out? And has hardware requirements that are fairly respectable, but only if you've already been gaming on the PC.

It's kind of a no brainer. I imagine this will drive up sales of the Wii or WiiU version for a while just getting people into the game while they wait for the PC version, if nothing else.

This is great news for Nintendo.

KiTA

Not that there isn't enough gameplay info out there already (I just wanted an excuse to post screens), but the combat is just... yeah. Even FFXIV's subscription is a hard sell in the current MMO climate; there is absolutely no way this could come overseas without being F2P.

This just in: Combat in the single player tutorial for an MMO isn't engaging. Film at 11.

I'm not the one who do not get it since i showed you why your point is flawed, again you showed how people who has the game benefits of this situation not the company nintendo, no one is going to buy the game and the console because is the most expensive solution.
I am alone in this thread because everyone are happy about the game but i that i not care about it i watch this situation as an outsider
But if you want to keep thinking that the company Nintendo "wins" in this for whatever reason so be it, in any case i don't think either of us are shareholders nintendo so we are not directly involved in this decision

Dude the pc market in japan is not the same as the US. More people play ffxi on ps2 than pc in japan till this day.

Eevryone wins with this news, including Nintendo.

Porcile

I'm not the one who do not get it since i showed you why your point is flawed, again you showed how people who has the game benefits of this situation not the company nintendo, no one is going to buy the game and the console because is the most expensive solution.

I think the suggestion is that it will keep the existing game population strong and playing on Nintendo consoles, and that potentially some Wii owners will upgrade to Wii U version as well. It's not a 'win' but Nintendo aren't really losing anything at this point either. And the fact that it's not coming to PS4 or XB1 is also telling about the continued exclusivity of the franchise, if that matters.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

They will need to really be careful with what they charge because if it isn't anything worth paying for I think a lot of people will have a problem paying 10 dollars a month.

extralite

as of now I believe most players were playing the game solo.
This is simply not true. I've been playing the game since launch and there's like three (out of 40) servers for solo players. They aren't the most frequented by far.

And you can see people interacting with each other in any town. Since team/guild levels and quests have been introduced with the last big update for mobs of rare monsters often people who came to a region alone are teaming up with players of other guilds so as not to steal the rare monsters from each other. At the very least you talk to other players and cheer for them.

Random dungeons which include party match making were introduced as early as last year. And since the AI is a bit stupid for avoiding area attacks few people will take on bosses on their own. Then there is trading collected materials according to your profession and sharing rulerstones used for teleporting.

I'd say strict solo players are a small minority at best. Even then there's an economy going on with people buying and selling stuff to each other.

YES! Wow great fucking news.

Love DQ, put 150+ hours into IX.

Too bad I'm in middle of nowhere posting on my phone and can't sign up for the beta. :(

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Got a 997 in 640x480. I thought it could have been worse, actually :lol

friz898

Well it was pretty and all.

But the benchmark actually was so kiddy'ish that it deflated my hype a bit.

This isn't being marketed in Japan as an MMO for the younger crowd is it? I know DQ art has a bit of silliness to it, but I didn't see it as a Free Realms kind of thing either.

Porcile

Well it was pretty and all.

But the benchmark actually was so kiddy'ish that it deflated my hype a bit.

This isn't being marketed in Japan as an MMO for the younger crowd is it? I know DQ art has a bit of silliness to it, but I didn't see it as a Free Realms kind of thing either.

I'm pretty sure there was a special kids hour in the original months of release on Wii. Dragon Quest also appeals to a very broad range of demographics.

Apenheul

Yeah maybe if you can explain me why maybe i'll stop laughing, you keep saying that nintendo wins in this but without any type of reason to back that up... 'til now you only showed that people that already have the console and the game wins.
I think I can follow his line of reasoning, the key thing here is shared servers. What I think is holding back Call of Duty's success on Wii U is the size of it's community, if that game had shared servers then it really wouldn't matter much on which platform you played. DQX coming to PC grows its community, which in order will likely result in more units being sold across Wii / Wii U and PC.

People with a PC still bought Ps360 this gen, it's not that big of a deal. But yes, I'm sure millions of people are waiting for DQX to buy a Wii U and are now rejoicing all over the world sayiing "yes fuck you mario brand!" if that makes you happy.

I dont know about millions but it would have pushed me to bite.

Anth0ny

It's over, period. nintendo lost their last ace, and that's the end of their wii u hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for wii u. nintendo has nothing left, nothing they have can fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for anyone, hardcore or casual, to substantially invest in a wii u. Except if they want to play bayonetta 2. Which will also come to xbox one at some point.

Microsoft took the last reason away that anyone would NEED to own a wii u over an xbox one (except TVII LOL GAMING), and the cavalcade of tiny titles that will be nice but won't stir up any sales is not going to salvage the bloated, overdesigned behemoth that was wii u.

There may be some hardcore gamers that stick around. Some did it for ps3 too. But the last bell tolled. Maybe next decade.

yessssssssssss

LeleSocho

Banned
Dude the pc market in japan is not the same as the US. More people play ffxi on ps2 than pc in japan till this day.

Eevryone wins with this news, including Nintendo.

Again nintendo wins but no explanation...
It doesn't matter the state of pc gaming in japan because you do not need the super ultra high end rig to run it, if you have bought a pc whatever it is in the last 5 years be sure that the thing runs well enough, go check the system requirements... if i am interested in DQX but i don't have the wii/wiiu what do you think i'll do? spend +200k yen for console and game or spend 3-4000 yen on the game only that'll surely run on the pc at home?
but i'll stop here because really, there's no worse deaf of the one who do not want to hear.
I think the suggestion is that it will keep the existing game population strong and playing on Nintendo consoles, and that potentially some Wii owners will upgrade to Wii U version as well. It's not a 'win' but Nintendo aren't really losing anything at this point either. And the fact that it's not coming to PS4 or XB1 is also telling about the continued exclusivity of the franchise, if that matters.

It does lose on the already destroyed image

Good news. Should have been on PC from day one anyway.
For Japan, Wii/U exclusivity doesn't matter much and DQX still massively outperformed anything else in the genre (including FFXI and FFXIV). For launching outside Japan though PC is a definite necessity.

This is good news for localization prospects at least.

Porcile

Again nintendo wins but no explanation...
It doesn't matter the state of pc gaming in japan because you do not need the super ultra high end rig to run it, if you have bought a pc whatever it is in the last 5 years be sure that the thing runs well enough, go check the system requirements... if i am interested in DQX but i don't have the wii/wiiu what do you think i'll do? spend +200k yen for console and game or spend 3-4000 yen on the game only that'll surely run on the pc at home?
but i'll stop here because really, there's no worse deaf of the one who do not want to hear.

People have given you plenty of decent explanations...

It does lose on the already destroyed image

A year late port of DQX on PC has destroyed Nintendo's image? I really don't know anymore...

Lmao! What? I am stoked for Wind Waker HD, Earthbound, Mario Kart 8, and the new upcoming Zelda title. They will probably drop Galaxy 3 down the road as well.

Yamauchi

Banned
The only MMORPG I could ever play on a console was PSO.

I am really interested in this game now that it is coming to the PC.

Meelow

Banned
2 Questions, people said this will be server shared with the Wii/WiiU version, is that true?

And I downloaded it, and it's on the video and the numbers are going up and I don't read Japanese so what should I be doing?

Screw Iwata and Reggie and who ever else decided not to localize this game and DQ7.

Nintendo needs new leadership.

Didn't you hear? Square would only let Nintendo localize 1 game, either BD or DQ7, so Nintendo picked the new game.

Lmao! What? I am stoked for Wind Waker HD, Earthbound, Mario Kart 8, and the new upcoming Zelda title. They will probably drop Galaxy 3 down the road as well.

A port, another mario kart, a VC release, and a game we won't see until 2015.

Nice, my day 1 purchase of Wii U was worth it!

I thought I was reading the announcement thread... I read some post and then saw the thread title... people thought I broke my arm or something as scream inducing.

Aeana

Really happy about this. Now I don't have to worry about getting a Japanese Wii U to play a non-ugly version of the game.

It's true that it probably won't fly with hardcore MMO players in general, but for Dragon Quest fans, it's pretty great.

rpmurphy

Yes, I'm sure Iwata and Reggie has no control of the situation. I'm sure of it.
Was it Iwata and Reggie's fault too that the game was made into an p2p MMO and thus creating larger barriers for localization for a series that was already so weak in sales overseas? Please.

Porcile

Yes, I'm sure Iwata and Reggie has no control of the situation. I'm sure of it.

Iwata did have a say. The game was a year long exclusive MMO on Wii, of all the consoles. And I'm sure Reggie really gives a shit about a PC port of game that they clearly have no intention of localising themselves.

kuroshiki

It should have been day 1 for PC anyway.

However this shows DQ x Wii brand is finally over. I don't think DQ11 will be on WiiU.

Nerokis

You're saying this without any irony, huh?

Screw Iwata and Reggie and who ever else decided not to localize this game and DQ7.

Nintendo needs new leadership.

Seems a little dramatic, no? We don't know if DQ7 will be localized or not, but if it isn't, it'll be because Nintendo decided to prioritize Bravely Default. Nintendo is the only reason we have any chance of getting these games in an age where SE has become far more selective about localizations.

Top Bottom