• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an elusive age Review Thread

hecatomb

Banned
I know, right? And to rub it in even further, we've missed out on lots of spinoffs.

People not deserving Dragon Quest shouldn't mean the rest of us have to suffer. At least I wish it didn't.

BTW, Fandom/wikia gave it a 3/5, though I take it they're of questionable repute.
The ign review is pretty bad, he go's out of his way to complain about a side quest which you don't have to do all cause she wears a bunny suit, and the puff puff which again you don't have to do. And he didn't mention anything about the pep attack, and didn't mention anything about how theres some monsters you can actually ride.

alphaproto

Neo Member
I know, right? And to rub it in even further, we've missed out on lots of spinoffs.

People not deserving Dragon Quest shouldn't mean the rest of us have to suffer. At least I wish it didn't.

BTW, Fandom/wikia gave it a 3/5, though I take it they're of questionable repute.
From the excerpt I read from Fandom on Metacritic, they said it "did nothing to push the JRPG genre forward"... makes you wonder if the reviewer even knows anything about DQ before having played this one.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
From the excerpt I read from Fandom on Metacritic, they said it "did nothing to push the JRPG genre forward"... makes you wonder if the reviewer even knows anything about DQ before having played this one.
I said this before, especially for JRPGs its better rely on your own judgment rather than mainstream reviews most of the time. I see this a lot, but when the game gets little too hard for them they think they need to grind rather come up with different tactics and 90% mainstream reviewers thinks Turn based combat is "outdated".

I said this before, especially for JRPGs its better rely on your own judgment rather than mainstream reviews most of the time. I see this a lot, but when the game gets little too hard for them they think they need to grind rather come up with different tactics and 90% mainstream reviewers thinks Turn based combat is "outdated".

I think (perceivably) too many attack/attack/attack simplified menu style games left that bad impression in their mouths. * shrugs *

sublimit

Banned
Just saw that Game Informer uploaded 30 minutes of gameplay on the 28th.Not going to watch it myself but here's the link if anyone is interested:

Is this game connected to any of the other previous games or can I just jump right in? I am curious about this one.
They're like Final Fantasy. Similar themes and recurring enemies/magic spells but completely independent stories.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Is this game connected to any of the other previous games or can I just jump right in? I am curious about this one.

The story isn't connected to any of the other games although (judging by the other games in the series) there'll be a few throwbacks and nods to earlier games but you won't be lost or anything.

Vawn

Banned
Speaking of story ties between games, I wonder how many knew Dragon Quest Builders is a direct sequel to the first game, but where the hero chooses to join the Dragon Lord instead of saving the world.

TheContact

this is going to be my first dragon quest came. besides this one. I hate that it's only on ps4 as most of my gaming is done on portable systems now. Is there a good DQ game out for either the 3DS or Vita (even if it's through Henkaku)

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
this is going to be my first dragon quest came. besides this one. I hate that it's only on ps4 as most of my gaming is done on portable systems now. Is there a good DQ game out for either the 3DS or Vita (even if it's through Henkaku)
Dragon Quest VII and VIII on the 3DS, especially VIII.

Also worth tracking down Dragon Quest IV, V, VI, and IX which were released on the DS.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Speaking of story ties between games, I wonder how many knew Dragon Quest Builders is a direct sequel to the first game, but where the hero chooses to join the Dragon Lord instead of saving the world.

I loved that. I've been playing the first Dragon Quest again in anticipation of XI next week, and just unlocked the achievement "Thou art a fool!" for siding with the Dragonlord, so cool.

sublimit

Banned
I didn't knew but thanks for spoiling it to me!>_<

J/K

Btw i know Horii said that there will be no dlc for this game but i wonder what are the chances they release as free dlc an orchestrated version of the soundtrack...

Last edited:

Shouta

1-3 and 4-6 form trilogies but they're mostly in overarching concepts and having some similar places. They aren't directly connected in the same sense as say FFX and FFX-2. So any of the games can be enjoyed standalone but you do get some enjoyment out of playing the trilogies together to see some of what they have in common.

DQXI is mostly standalone but has homages and a few things for fans of the series. It's a pretty easy place to start the series overall.

Vawn

Banned

J/K

Btw i know Horii said that there will be no dlc for this game but i wonder what are the chances they release as free dlc an orchestrated version of the soundtrack...

For real sorry if that's considered a spoiler. I figured it wasn't since that's the intro to the game and I knew it from previews, but I can see some seeing that way, especially as so many don't seem to already know.

hecatomb

Banned
1,2,3 though 3 is a prequel to part 1. The newer dragon quest games kind of broke away from this and just came up with their own stories that do not involve the older ones.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
This looks really interesting. Is it safe to assume that if I liked Lunar, FF6, & FF7 that I would like this?

DQ is more of a slow burn. FF is a series of espresso shots while DQ is a big cup of coffee that you sip over time.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

J/K

Less than 0 unfortunately due to the composer.

alphaproto

Neo Member
3DS has good ports of DQ7 and DQ8. Vita has Builders which is also very good.

1-3 and 4-6 form trilogies but they're mostly in overarching concepts and having some similar places. They aren't directly connected in the same sense as say FFX and FFX-2. So any of the games can be enjoyed standalone but you do get some enjoyment out of playing the trilogies together to see some of what they have in common.

DQXI is mostly standalone but has homages and a few things for fans of the series. It's a pretty easy place to start the series overall.

I would LOVE to find Erdrick's (Loto's) sword ina swamp somewhere in this game 😊

hecatomb

Banned
You can also play them on your phone as well, though I can't speak to quality of those (I bought DQ1 when it was on sale, and that seems like a fine version).
I don't know why that matters really, if you already have a 3DS, and its backwards compatible with DS games.

Last edited:

Vlaphor

He's incredibly strict with his orchestrated tracks, and basically leaves them exclusive to concerts and retail releases.

One of the two reasons I softmodded my 3ds was to have the orchestral versions on the songs on DQ VIII. The other reason was to remove the regional editing from the game.

alphaproto

Neo Member
You can also play them on your phone as well, though I can't speak to quality of those (I bought DQ1 when it was on sale, and that seems like a fine version).
IV, V, and VI are the DS ports condensed onto a phone screen if I'm not mistaken. They control pretty well, too.

jshackles

I would LOVE to find Erdrick's (Loto's) sword ina swamp somewhere in this game 😊

Or Erdrick's Token, a worthless key item that you can't ever get rid of and does nothing. :)

sublimit

Banned
I god damn HATE SE store!!! I missed out on NieR Automata Black Box Edition because it was SE store exclusive.
I hate their store too. You have no idea what I had to go through in order to pre-order this CE. It will probably be the last time I buy anything else from their store.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I hate their store too. You have no idea what I had to go through in order to pre-order this CE. It will probably be the last time I buy anything else from their store.
Oh, I know the feeling. I know it well.
Better-Call-Saul-Mike-Ehrmantraut-Get-Angry-Reaction-Jonathan-Banks.gif

Eteric Rice

I hope they can work the 3DS features into Switch, but I have a feeling they won't. It'll probably be a straight port.

I wish they'd hurry up and show it.

Top Bottom