• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI on track to hit Square Enix's unit expectations

sublimit

Banned
Home consoles are my main platform of choice for gaming (when at home) so i'm glad DQXI is doing well on PS4.Hopefully it will open up the way for even more console Japanese games in the future.

I hope the Switch version will sell great too.

Ah. I see what you mean. So while the PS4 version has made more money, the 3DS version has actually sold more copies. Makes sense. Thank you for the clarification.

Considering the PS4 production costs are much higher, I think the total revenue should be in favour of 3DS, if sales for both versions are continuing declining this fast.

Oemenia

Banned
What is holding back the switch version is SE wanting people to double/triple dip, not any Sony silliness.
Maybe, but DQ is pretty important to Sony for the PS4 in Japan no?

The 3DS is on its way out, by the time it hits in the West even more so. A Switch version could then do a lot to conjure interest in that version.

Considering the PS4 production costs are much higher, I think the total revenue should be in favour of 3DS, if sales for both versions are continuing declining this fast.

Revenue only has to do with money earned. The PS4 version so far has earned $15M(USD) more revenue than the 3DS version.

Profit is revenue - cost.

What, as opposed to... versus Xbox? Versus Wonderswan? Versus Sega?
There are only two viable console manufacturers in Japan, why wouldn't their comparative sales be discussed?

Why don't Media Create or Famitsu consider them separate markets when ranking software and hardware sales then?

I would ignore ethomaz's logic. He is very unknowledgable of Japan's market, since his introduction to the MC threads was motivated by an incontrolable urge to shill for the PS4.

_Ryo_

I don't think that can literally can be the case. I mean, SE has said that PS4 version has stronger sales. So it's either that PS4 sold more units which it apparently has not done, or it has made SE more money.

You can't have stronger sales on PS4 if it sales less units and makes less money. It has to be one or the other and since it apparently didn't sale as many units as 3DS, it must have made more money and thus had stronger sales.

All I'm reading is wishful thinking on your part: "Switch will get the 3DS version"; "Sony will not let DQXI go that easily"; "Exclusivities are in place." You're pulling stuff out your ass to support what you want to happen when Sony has had no say or muscle over the brand even when they owned SE stock.

Oemenia

Banned
All I'm reading is wishful thinking on your part: "Switch will get the 3DS version"; "Sony will not let DQXI go that easily"; "Exclusivities are in place." You're pulling stuff out your ass to support what you want to happen when Sony has had no say or muscle over the brand even when they owned SE stock.
Don't worry, the Switch's honour is just fine whichever version it gets. If you want a more fanboy discussion then go to the MC thread, there you can talk smack all you like and everyone will even support you.

KtSlime

Don't worry, the Switch's honour is just fine whichever version it gets. If you want a more fanboy discussion then go to the MC thread, there you can talk smack all you like and everyone will even support you.

The only reason the MC threads have a Nintendo bias, is because Japan has a Nintendo bias. It would be weird to make observations about the Japanese market, using data of the Japanese market and not have them reflect the Japanese market, don't you think?

ethomaz

Banned
I would ignore ethomaz's logic. He is very unknowledgable of Japan's market, since his introduction to the MC threads was motivated by an incontrolable urge to shill for the PS4.
Yeap... ignore all last gen post in MC threads lol

I really don't think the switch version is effecting the PS4 version much.
Since it doing good for SE or more than what most people thought .
If anything switch version effect the 3DS version and maybe some of the casual moving on .

I agree it's probably having a bigger impact on 3ds sales over ps4 sales. It's hard to really read the tea leaves since dq11 is breaking several series tradition rules by releasing on two different systems day 1 and having a known 3rd version coming down the pipe. All of these things could be impacting how people buy this version of dq compared to past entries.

LordKano

The 3DS is on its way out, by the time it hits in the West even more so. A Switch version could then do a lot to conjure interest in that version.

Square Enix isn't Sony. There's no exclusivity deal in place.

No it's not possible it sold 340k digitally because the PS4 version wasn't out of stock. Neither versions were.

Unusually high digital sales like those are due to severe stock shortages.

It sold over 80% of it's stock so I assumed that it was sold out in some places. My bad.

Also, the Switch version is definitely going to be the ps4 version.

Fiendcode

Great = Over 5m units sold on track to reach 10m in today Japan console market plus way higher software sales than previous generation.
selling on par with PS3 now =/= on track to reach 10m

Unless PS5 somehow doesn't launch until 2022? I also wouldn't characterize PS3 sales as great historically either.

labx

Banned
I only hope that this doesn't screw the western release of the ps4 version. A man can only dream of having a new DQ.

Asd202

WTF is with people downplaying the sales of PS4 version? So much salt. PS4 version WW will be the highest SKU of this game when it's all said and done.

Shin

Banned
Even if it might not hit their expectation for FY the game might still do really well and/or exceed their expectation down the road.
You got the Switch world wide release maybe, PS4 world wide and maybe there's even a PC release down the road who knows.

Unless PS5 somehow doesn't launch until 2022? I also wouldn't characterize PS3 sales as great historically either.
I wouldn't be surprised if this gets re-released on PS5 in native 4K, I'd be all over it.

Asd202

What are you even talking about?

For example I don't see SE announcing the Switch version as having impact on 3DS version sales when the sales of that version are higher than Switch current install base. DQ XI being on 3DS was the right and logical choice.

I feel like some posters expected PS4 version to not did well as it did and they just want reaffirm themselves in that mindset. That's the vibe I get from some the responses.

What is holding back the switch version is SE wanting people to double/triple dip, not any Sony silliness.

I think they need more time to make a version that is not shit. If they port the PS4 version, it shouldn't be the easiest port of all time. It runs @ 900p /30fps on PS4. I think if they could have released the Switchversion with the other versions they would have done it.

LordKano

You'd think that Sony would want to keep their prized asset especially since they contributed so much to the marketing.

Same thing happened with Monster Hunter.

They kept their prized asset so much that it comes on two non-sony platforms.
What are you seriously trying to say ?

I feel like some posters expected PS4 version to not did well as it did and they just want reaffirm themselves in that mindset. That's the vibe I get from some the responses.

PS4 went above my expectations, but I still don't see it overtaking the 3DS one any time soon.

NSESN

The only numbers we have is that the 3DS sold more on retail and the PS4 version had bigger revenue, everything else is overthinking.

Aters

I'm sure there is some form of exclusivity in place.

How so? SE is not Capcom, they have enough money to develop their own games.

They release the Japanese version there on the same day but the Asian version is suppose to release in Q4 2017.

No. The Hong Kong Japanese version has already been released. It's the Hong Kong Chinese version that is Q4 2017. Most Japanese games are released twice in HK.

Oemenia

Banned
They kept their prized asset so much that it comes on two non-sony platforms.
What are you seriously trying to say ?
No need to get so defensive, no one is saying anything against the Switch here unless you feel the 3DS game is somehow second-tier.
Pretty sure that posts like that are meant to rile up other people, not genuine arguments. Better to ignore them.
Look take the persecution complex to the MC thread.

MoonFrog

I hope we end up somewhere (at least) like:

1.5 PS4
2.0 3DS
0.5 Switch

I think PS4 version is going to sell about as well as we could reasonably hope. Maybe 1.4, maybe 1.5, maybe 1.6. That's good. Great contextualized to PS4, but obviously reinforces the need for the 3DS version to hit DQ sales.

3DS version is obviously not going to sell the 3.0-4.0 it could've sold there as an exclusive at some date in the 3DS's life. I feel it can reach 2.0 with it being currently over 1.5. Maybe not. But I hope it at least gets close--say, 1.8, 1.9 or something.

I hope Switch version does well for a late release. I hope that there is a thirst for portable UE4 and that SE does something to make the version otherwise special and attractive.

It'll be easier to straddle this divide going forward, so even if high costs for DQXI lower the profit from this strategy, I hope they look favorably on the result and do DQXII PS4/Switch/(PS5) in short order :p.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
How so? SE is not Capcom, they have enough money to develop their own games.

No. The Hong Kong Japanese version has already been released. It's the Hong Kong Chinese version that is Q4 2017. Most Japanese games are released twice in HK.

3 Times to be exact :p There's still the English version. Makes me prone to triple dip sometimes...

clem84

Gold Member
It already shipped 3,000,000+ though and counting, plus WW release will be within their FY so it's possible.
It depends how well it keeps on selling in Japan and how the west responds to it, I'm kinda positive though.

This will be the first totally new DQ in the west since... IX? I'm confident it will do good. As good as Japan? Of course not but it'll do decent numbers.

Look take the persecution complex to the MC thread.
The hypocrisy of you saying this. All of your posts is whining, acting like a victim and accusing the MC threads of being biased. Feel free to check out the MC threads during the 3DS/Wii U days where Nintendo fans were desperately reaching and most people who frequently visited MC threads shut them down. In fact last gen, Nintendo fans were accusing MC threads of being biased. Whenever one side starts selling well. The other side accuses MC of being biased. However, carry on with your persecution complex.

urfe

I bought the 3DS version, but I love how good the PS4 version is doing.

i hope XII will be on both Nintendo and Sony consoles as well.

Oemenia

Banned
The hypocrisy of you saying this. All of your posts is whining, acting like a victim and accusing the MC threads of being biased. Feel free to check out the MC threads during the 3DS/Wii U days where Nintendo fans were desperately reaching and most people who frequently visited MC threads shut them down. In fact last gen, Nintendo fans were accusing MC threads of being biased. Whenever one side starts selling well. The other side accuses MC of being biased. However, carry on with your persecution complex.
Thanks for the history lesson, but yeah I still think Switch will get the 3DS version.

And no before anyone gets upset, that's not an insult. If people want to eat crow, again the MC thread is that way.

Top Bottom