• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI probably won't be for smartphones

One day, SMT and DQ will advance past 6th gen tech. Each day I wait, I die a little inside. I mean, DQVIII was amazing for its time. At least Persona 5 is PS3.

Prelude.

SONY got 14 as an exclusive instead of 15 , remember?
Sony didn't get shit. It's not on the Xbone because Microsoft doesn't allow shared servers between platforms, they made an exception for XI but not for XIV.

As for XV, Sony is in a different position now, they don't need to secure it since it's still kind of an exclusive because that's where the fanbase is.

Now that he mentioned DQX , I think it's most likely that game. Why do you think its a waste of everything?
Because what's the point of an old Dragon Quest MMO? They should probably invest money elsewhere.
But that's just my opinion.

Sony didn't get shit. It's not on the Xbone because Microsoft doesn't allow shared servers between platforms, they made an exception for XI but not for XIV.

As for XV, Sony is in a different position now, they don't need to secure it since it's still kind of an exclusive because that's where the fanbase is.

Because what's the point of an old Dragon Quest MMO? They should probably invest money elsewhere.
But that's just my opinion.
I have no idea what you are talking about anymore? still kind of an exclusive ? MMORPG need a big audience, especially so when DQX allows for cross platform play. What kind of investment are you talking about? It has to be DQX or DQXI multiplatform with 3DS if its coming to PS3.

Unless its another spinoff for ps3/4....

Prelude.

You don't have to. Just take a look at the Wii U version of MH3U.
Yeah, it looks pretty bad.

Edit: oh yeah and this, almost forgot
Well, that's not exactly your average 3DS game. It looked good even on the 3DS because of the small rooms and narrow corridors.

I have no idea what you are talking about anymore? still kind of an exclusive ?
Why should they pay for its exclusivity when the majority of the sales are going to be on PS4? It's basically a free exclusive.

Beth Cyra

This shit is totally 3DS first.

Also lol at anyone saying PS4. No way Horii looks at the best selling entry since VII and then decides to target a crazy smaller install base with a sever increase in dev cost and time.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
They'd never do this. There's too big of a gap between the platforms.

Depends on the developer and the resources - Level 5 pulled it off with Ninokuni or Capcom with E.X Troopers. I doubt it - but its not unheard of.

Pachinko

3DS is the top selling new generation system over there right ? That's where it will go.

The bigger question is if they'll make it like 9/10 or go back to a full single player experience.

... and on that note, will DQX ever make it outside japan ? it's starting to look like that's a great big fat no. I was actually looking forward to DQ7 coming stateside but that won't likely happen either :(

Yeah, it looks pretty bad.

Well, that's not exactly your average 3DS game. It looked good even on the 3DS because of the small rooms and narrow corridors.

Why should they pay for its exclusivity when the majority of the sales are going to be on PS4? It's basically a free exclusive.
I still have no idea what your expectations are if the PS DQ rumor is true. Not DQx and not along with 3DS then what?

Licking my lips in anticipation for the announcement thread.

0.jpg

Bishoptl´s new fountain

Prelude.

I still have no idea what your expectations are if the PS DQ rumor is true. Not DQx and not along with 3DS then what?
I have no expectations, everything they did after DQVIII was extremely disappointing so I'll probably keep not caring about the series until something at least half as good will come out, I was just reporting what an insider said.
But anyway, I don't think they'll touch home consoles for a while.

watershed

Banned
DQIX was fun but also lacking in many ways. If DQXI ends up on the 3ds I hope they make it a more robust rpg with much better characters and story. DQIX, while good, felt like a "my first rpg" kind of game which might explain why it sold so well.

This shit is totally 3DS first.

Also lol at anyone saying PS4. No way Horii looks at the best selling entry since VII and then decides to target a crazy smaller install base with a sever increase in dev cost and time.

Best selling since VII? You realize that means nothing right? It basically means it sold better than VIII. Good for it. However you could just say the best selling DQ of all time and be done with it. Not by a ridiculous number, and not counting remakes of games like DQIII, but there it stands.

Never going to see a DQ that looks better than eight in a LOOONG time. Sigh.

I have no expectations, everything they did after DQVIII was extremely disappointing so I'll probably keep not caring about the series until something at least half as good will come out, I was just reporting what an insider said.
But anyway, I don't think they'll touch home consoles for a while.
Are you telling me you missed all the good 3DS spinoffs and remakes? Even if you don't like 9, the other DQ games are good :(

Nice, ask for a port before it even get announcement.

Unless you want the series to stay in Japan, you better hope not. Nintendo is the only one that will actually localize it.

How can you ask for a port when the platforms haven't been announced yet lol

SE will publish this one unless they went with a partnership deal or what I am saying is this will get localised regardless of whose the publisher because it well sell at least a couple of hundred thousand in NA alone.

How can you ask for a port when the platforms haven't been announced yet lol

SE will publish this one unless they went with a partnership deal or what I am saying is this will get localised regardless of whose the publisher because it well sell at least a couple of hundred thousand in NA alone.
Then explain DQ 7 3DS and the other spinoffs that haven make it lol.

Prelude.

Are you telling me you missed all the good 3DS spinoffs and remakes? Even if you don't like 9, the other DQ games are good :(
I wasn't considering remakes of course. IV, V and VI on the DS are pretty good.
And I'm not really sure about those "3DS spinoffs and remakes", none of them are localized.

watershed

Banned
As far as the "DQ will return to PS, but not necessarily exclusive" rumor I can see that going two ways. One, DQX gets ported to the PS3/PS4 maybe early in the PS4's life. That would be pretty exciting if it was timed with a new expansion or something. Two, DQXI will be made on the 3ds then ported to the Vita. I imagine that wouldn't be hard and S-E would probably do it if Sony made an enticing offer of some sort.

Unless Sony is trying to lock down DQXII for the PS4 in some distant future I don't see any other possibility besides remakes or ports of older titles.

I still think we will see DQ VII 3DS in North America in 2014.

But I think that depends on everyone buying Bravely Default.

So, everyone better buy Bravely Default and buy multiple copies if you can.

Because I want Dragon Quest VII.

Do it.

mejin

Don't get me wrong, guys. It's a safe bet it's a 3DS game.

Actually, I'd be fine with a 3DS game, but I think it's time for a full fleged game. I want a real DQVIII "sequel" and this can only be done on consoles/pc.

Doesn't need to be exclusive, we do have FFXV and KH3. Why not give DQ another chance?

Squeenix doesn't need Nintendo to localize this game. And we do have some 3DS games that never came outside Japan. We can only pray DQVII will come next year.

Anyway, Horii needs to step up, do something great with this series again.

OmegaDL50

This is Square Enix.

Square-Enix has no control over the franchise. They only have exclusive publishing rights.

Yuji Horii's Armor Project owns the rights to Dragon Quest, so Horii makes the final call on what platform DQ is released on, NOT Square-Enix.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
“Smartphones are smartphones, and they’re not game consoles,” states Horii in response to Andou. “I don’t think they’ll be replacing game consoles, but rather, I believe it’s a matter of offering something to those who only have smartphones.”

As a gamer, I appreciate this quote. As a person looking at their market and the sales data...I do wonder if Horii has been asleep for the past couple of years. Mobile has pretty much wiped out game consoles in his home market (the only market DQ matters). They have already replaced game consoles. Unless he thinks PS4 will be the savoir...? 3DS is their only hope right now though.

Zee-Row

Banned
Square-Enix has no control over the franchise. They only have exclusive publishing rights.

Yuji Horii's Armor Project owns the rights to Dragon Quest, so Horii makes the final call on what platform DQ is released on, NOT Square-Enix.

I had no idea , I guess its pretty cool that he owns his own creation. Unlike Keiji Inafune with Mega Man.

Top Bottom