• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI probably won't be for smartphones

Snakeyes

This is still ignoring some key facts: That Nintendo's partnership has proven very beneficial to them in terms of workload, since Nintendo has helped with marketing, localization, translation, etc., and that Nintendo's push helped Dragon Quest IX do excellent numbers. You're downplaying the Western sales of that game, which is silly.
Dude, you're arguing with a guy who's fantasizing about the possibility of a Sony moneyhat.

Draconian

To Cheerilee, why does DQ on a Nintendo platform "do nothing for the series" in the west while DQ on a Sony platform would do something for the series in the west?

Especially considering DQ IX outsold DQ VIII which came with a demo disc for Final Fantasy XII.

Metallix87

It's cute that people think there is a Nintendo partnership.

Well, there is. Nintendo helped with the localization of the DS titles, to the point of doing almost all of the work for Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation and Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2, and you simply can't ignore that. If that's not a partnership, I'm not sure what is.

I can't believe anyone seriously thinks this game will be on PS4. Even if it did manage to sell slightly better in the west (it wouldn't in Japan not by a long shot, the ps4 won't sell close to Ps2 numbers) the massive jump in dev costs would negate it.

It's cute that people think there is a Nintendo partnership.

Anyone who thinks DQ is only on Nintendo platforms because of some partnership is just a fanboy who is deluded into thinking there is actually a chance of it not being on 3DS

Well, there is. Nintendo helped with the localization of the DS titles, to the point of doing almost all of the work for Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Reverie and Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2, and you simply can't ignore that. If that's not a partnership, I'm not sure what is.

Did Nintendo also pay for the PC version? Or how about all the new smartphone ports?

Metallix87

Did Nintendo also pay for the PC version? Or how about all the new smartphone ports?

A late PC port and crappy mobile ports don't change the fact that new content, from new mainline entries to new spin-offs to exclusive remakes, has primarily been exclusively on Nintendo platforms for nearly a decade.

A late PC port and crappy mobile ports don't change the fact that new content, from new mainline entries to new spin-offs to exclusive remakes, has primarily been exclusively on Nintendo platforms for nearly a decade.

I remember when Sony fanboys used to say this exact same stuff with regards to FF. Then the innocence was broken.

Metallix87

I remember when Sony fanboys used to say this exact same stuff with regards to FF. Then the innocence was broken.

Well, when Dragon Quest shows up on non-Nintendo platforms on the exact same date as the Nintendo versions, like what happened with Final Fantasy XIII, we can talk.

Madouu

This thread is reminiscent of the persona 5 pre announcement discussions, a lot of wishful thinking. Let's just wait and see and hope it's a fine game. The platform really doesn't matter and I'm truly sad that it is the first thing that comes to people's minds everytime a game they might like is not on their platform of choice.

Metallix87

I'm sorry, but did DQ7 and DQ8 never happen? Was the series not exclusively Nintendo prior to that?

That's ancient history, and can be chalked up to Yamauchi forgoing the latest storage media in favor of his archaic technology in carts and later his sideways tech evolution with Gamecube discs. Do you really think that two games on non-Nintendo systems, the last of which was nearly a decade ago, change the present?

I'm sorry, but did DQ7 and DQ8 never happen? Was the series not exclusively Nintendo prior to that?
You are talking about a game being mutilplatfrom , DQ always goes to the winner thus Snes , ps1,ps2, Ds and Wii. Now that smart phone is out , 3DS is the next biggest. Its different from ff13 case.
That's ancient history, and can be chalked up to Yamauchi forgoing the latest storage media in favor of his archaic technology in carts and later his sideways tech evolution with Gamecube discs. Do you really think that two games on non-Nintendo systems, the last of which was nearly a decade ago, change the present?
the real reason is user base... PS and ps2 had them.

entremet

I originally said "won't do anything that DQIX didn't do". Squenix wants a lot more from the West, and none of their plans have done it for them (killing Enix America in the SNES era, reviving it in the PSX era, killing it again and joining Square, partnering with Nintendo...).

I think that they're going to need to keep the series as appealing to Westerners as possible (without losing what it means to be Dragon Quest), and try some things like actually releasing the game on the Halo box (blasphemy, I know).

And if Sony is willing to court Squenix in a way that didn't happen with DQVIII...
Sony has given up on japan. Sony is basically a western game company. Look where all there first party dollars go to. Western dev teams. I really can't see Sony make push for DQ outside of late ports of X.

Metallix87

Sony has given up on japan. Sony is basically a western game company. Look where all there first party dollars go to. Western dev teams. I really can't see Sony make push for DQ outside of late ports of X.

And even then, a late port of X is unlikely, IMO. I think the only franchises from Square-Enix that Sony really care about are Final Fantasy and the Eidos properties.

Atomsky

Banned
Plz announce this on 3DS so I can totally stop thinking about this franchise for another 5 years - no, not gonna buy 3DS myself.

rpmurphy

The thing is, with a modern game you basically make it for a PC targeting PS4/Xbone specs, at which point "porting" to PS4/Xbone has never been easier. They can make the game with Sony in mind, and if they want to expand to Xbone/Steam (which would be a very good idea if they want to make a serious push for Western audiences). Or Sony can moneyhat them to keep it exclusive, which is a bonus, because now you have a hat made out of money, which you didn't have before, and which you won't get if you target 3DS.
Again, there needs to be sufficient potential value in an X1 or Steam port that could not otherwise be reached, such as with a localization of the game on the platform that it was already made for. You are essentially arguing that they also need to port the game to all these other platforms that are essentially dead in the region where the game actually sells, in addition to localizing the game for them which has its own set of costs and risks (which SE has been very reluctant to do for the IP in the recent years for good reason), so that it may have some more potential buyers in other regions where the game traditionally does not sell well. If you were in charge of any business, would this not sound iffy to you at all?

I'm not sure if you are being serious about the last part.

Dragon Quest goes to the most popular/best selling system in Japan. It's not that complicated.

Can we please stop this silliness? DQX is not on the Nintendo DS or 3DS last I checked. This is business, not a freaking contest. The series goes wherever the fuck the owner wants it to go. And that's going to be whatever platform(s) results in the most amount of money. There is no exclusive contract with Nintendo. DQXI will be on 3DS only, on multiple consoles/PC, or on smartphones. That's it.

Metallix87

Can we please stop this silliness? DQX is not on the Nintendo DS or 3DS last I checked. The series goes wherever the fuck the owner wants it to go. And that's going to be whatever platform(s) results in the most amount of money. There is no exclusive contract with Nintendo. DQXI will be on 3DS only, on multiple consoles/PC, or on smartphones. That's it.

To be fair, Dragon Quest X was on the Wii, the best-selling home console in Japan last generation. The Wii U and PC ports exist solely to increase sales potential, since the game came so late, when most people had moved on from the Wii. Even then, the Wii version alone has proven very successful for the company.

entremet

Partnerships don't last forever. But Nintendo's DQ partnership is well documented. Iwata and Horii even did a huge press conference years ago.

No idea if the deal is still on, off, or will be renewed. But this objective fact.

Can we please stop this silliness? DQX is not on the Nintendo DS or 3DS last I checked. The series goes wherever the fuck the owner wants it to go. And that's going to be whatever platform(s) results in the most amount of money. There is no exclusive contract with Nintendo. DQXI will be on 3DS only, on multiple consoles/PC, or on smartphones. That's it.
And when DQX was in development , 3DS was not around and DS cannot support an mmo. The next best selling hardware that can do it is Wii. Now that the next title is most likely not another mmo and its not on cell phones , it most likely will be on 3DS.

Metallix87

H_Prestige, you seem really desperate to try to paint a picture that simply isn't reality. It is what it is, man, and I just can't see Dragon Quest XI being on anything other than the 3DS. I also think Dragon Quest XII, whenever it happens, will be on 3DS or it's successor. Wii U is unlikely to get another mainline game, though I could see it getting a spin-off or two in the future.

Sony is not getting Dragon Quest again anytime soon.

To be fair, Dragon Quest X was on the Wii, the best-selling home console in Japan last generation. The Wii U and PC ports exist solely to increase sales potential, since the game came so late, when most people had moved on from the Wii. Even then, the Wii version alone has proven very successful for the company.

If it were so simple as people believe, DQX would not be a MMO and would be on the DS. The reality is that SE is a business and they want to make $$$. They're not in the business of bestowing "prizes" to best selling systems. They saw all the money they made from FFXI and wanted to try the same thing with DQ. Then they realized an exclusive MMO to the dying Wii wasn't such a good long term strategy, so they added the PC version. Of which Nintendo will never see a single cent from.

H_Prestige, you seem really desperate to try to paint a picture that simply isn't reality. It is what it is, man, and I just can't see Dragon Quest XI being on anything other than the 3DS. I also think Dragon Quest XII, whenever it happens, will be on 3DS or it's successor. Wii U is unlikely to get another mainline game, though I could see it getting a spin-off or two in the future.

I never said it won't be on 3DS or that it is even unlikely. Nor did I say the series will reappear on Sony or non-Nintendo platforms. I'm merely pointing out that such things are possible and that Nintendo doesn't have some exclusive hold over the franchise just because Iwata shook hands with someone a few years ago.

Metallix87

If it were so simple as people believe, DQX would not be a MMO and would be on the DS. The reality is that SE is a business and they want to make $$$. They're not in the business of bestowing "prizes" to best selling systems. They saw all the money they made from FFXI and wanted to try the same thing with DQ. Then they realized an exclusive MMO to the dying Wii wasn't such a good long term strategy, so they added the PC version. Of which Nintendo will never see a single cent from.

I never said it won't be on 3DS or that it is even unlikely. Nor did I say the series will reappear on Sony or non-Nintendo platforms. I'm merely pointing out that such things are possible and that Nintendo doesn't have some exclusive hold over the franchise just because Iwata shook hands with someone a few years ago.

You're pretending that Square-Enix has total control of the franchise, when they don't. Yuji Horii and his studio, Armor Project, control the future of the main series and the remakes.

I am not so sure about nextgen and on wiiu;but at long as 3DS exists ,DQ will be on 3DS.

I am prepared for smartphone dq next Gen :|

Metallix87

I am not so sure about nextgen and on wiiu;but at long as 3DS exists ,DQ will be on 3DS.

I am prepared for smartphone dq next Gen :|

I'm not, if only because 3DS has been so good to the franchise, and next gen Nintendo will almost definitely have zero competition, since Sony likely won't have a handheld successor to the Vita, at least in my opinion.

What's with people assuming that Nintendo will partnership with SE for another mainline DQ exclusive to 3DS. Why can't it come to 3DS/PS3 or 3DS/PS3/PS4... heck even on VITA.

This bullshit about Dragon Quest being exclusive to a single platform needs to stop now, just like Final Fantasy. If i remember correctly, they have cleared mentioned that the series will go multiplatform now.

I would love to have a mainline Dragon Quest in the vein of Dragon Quest VIII on a actual console.

Metallix87

What's with people assuming that Nintendo will partnership with SE for another mainline DQ exclusive to 3DS. Why can't it come to 3DS/PS3 or 3DS/PS3/PS4... heck even on VITA.

This bullshit about Dragon Quest being exclusive to a single platform needs to stop now, just like Final Fantasy. If i remember correctly, they have cleared mentioned that the series will go multiplatform now.

I would love to have a mainline Dragon Quest in the vein of Dragon Quest VIII on a actual console.

This is delusion of the highest order. The series is "multiplatform" in the sense that the older titles are getting direct ports to mobile, nothing more. Even there, the games aren't experiencing near enough success to abandon Nintendo handhelds as the future.

As for the platforms you mentioned, there's little chance of a PS3 game, little-to-no chance of a PS4 game, and ABSOLUTELY ZERO chance of a Vita game. Sorry, but the franchise is almost assuredly staying Nintendo exclusive, and you need to stop kidding yourself with this bizarre line of post.

I'm not, if only because 3DS has been so good to the franchise, and next gen Nintendo will almost definitely have zero competition, since Sony likely won't have a handheld successor to the Vita, at least in my opinion.
You forget that cell phones are competitors. PS2 was good for DQ too and look where are we now.

Embrace the dark side , soon every SE game will be on smart devices.

You actually mention vita without mentioning Wii and wiiu , both of which already have a DQ game on it lol.

Metallix87

You forget that cell phones are competitors. PS2 was good for DQ too and look where are we now.

Embrace the dark side , soon every SE game will be on smart devices.

The sales of the current ports don't inspire any confidence in me that the franchise has a great future on that platform, at least as a primary platform.

The sales of the current ports don't inspire any confidence in me that the franchise has a great future on that platform, at least as a primary platform.
It will be different 5 years later, A game build from the ground will perform better than a port for sure. I am fine with DQ going mobile as long as it control decent (like chaos ring) and don't have IAP.

I will still meltdown when it happens of course :|

watershed

Banned
I'm not in the "DQXI" will be exclusive to Nintendo camp either. I can see it releasing on the 3ds, made for the 3ds, then being ported to any number of platforms. Especially if Sony are actively courting SE.

Metallix87

It will be different 5 years later, A game build from the ground will perform better than a port for sure. I am fine with DQ going mobile as long as it control decent (like chaos ring) and don't have IAP.

I will still meltdown when it happens of course :|

We'll see. I think Armor Project is definitely not as interested in mobile development as the rest of Square-Enix, and they have more than enough autonomy to make their own decisions.

You actually mention vita without mentioning Wii and wiiu , both of which already have a DQ game on it lol.
It can come to the Wii U too, heck even on Xbox One :p

I don't see why can't they just utilize the Dragon Quest X engine for a multiplatform, mainline Dragon Quest.

I'm not in the "DQXI" will be exclusive to Nintendo camp either. I can see it releasing on the 3ds, made for the 3ds, then being ported to any number of platforms. Especially if Sony are actively courting SE.
I can see it being exclusive to 3DS in Japan because that makes the most sense. But for a worldwide release, they can opt for more platforms to give the series more exposure.

As for the platforms you mentioned, there's little chance of a PS3 game, little-to-no chance of a PS4 game, and ABSOLUTELY ZERO chance of a Vita game. Sorry, but the franchise is almost assuredly staying Nintendo exclusive, and you need to stop kidding yourself with this bizarre line of post.
And you need to step out of this mentality of Dragon Quest being exclusive to Nintendo.

It started with Nintendo exclusive and then went to Sony platforms and then back to Nintendo and now it is coming to Smartphones.

If anything, this proves that the series goes where money goes. In this case here, it goes to the most successful platform. If Dragon Quest XI is coming in 2014 or early 2015, i can see it coming to 3DS and then later ported to other platforms for a worldwide release. If PS4 is a success in Japan, the series can shift its focus there as well.

It can come to the Wii U too, heck even on Xbox One :p

I don't see why can't they just utilize the Dragon Quest X engine for a multiplatform, mainline Dragon Quest.

I can see it being exclusive to 3DS in Japan because that makes the most sense. But for a worldwide release, they can opt for more platforms to give the series more exposure.
This actually make sense but will the sales increase enough to justify the development cost for every platform? Especially xbone and vita where the former seems to cater to non jrpg player and the later have so small of a userbase that may also overlaps with 3DS?(Based on my experience(singapore)people who owns a psv also own a 3DS)

Metallix87

And you need to step out of this mentality of Dragon Quest being exclusive to Nintendo.

It started with Nintendo exclusive and then went to Sony platforms and then back to Nintendo and now it is coming to Smartphones.

If anything, this proves that the series goes where money goes. In this case here, it goes to the most successful platform. If Dragon Quest XI is coming in 2014 or early 2015, i can see it coming to 3DS and then later ported to other platforms for a worldwide release. If PS4 is a success in Japan, the series can shift its focus there as well.

Again, you're ignoring the key factor here: Nintendo's marketing push is forfeited by doing so.

I expect PS4 to do well in Japan, and I expect a triple-A Dragon Quest to move units. Maybe not as many as 3DS, but a satisfactory amount, and better than any other idea to try and break into America.

Dragon Quest works the other way, you need a user base 1st. And no way ps4 is going to have that user base the 3DS have no in 5 years or even its life time in Japan.

Well, we already have a precedent for a scenario like this. What do DQX's numbers look like if you take out sales of the Wii/PC versions and focus exclusively on WiiU? Also, what did sales of WiiU look like when DQX was released?

(I know it's not exactly the same cause the game wasn't solely exclusive to WiiU, but it's still interesting to examine.)

Well, we already have a precedent for a scenario like this. What do DQX's numbers look like if you take out sales of the Wii/PC versions and focus exclusively on WiiU? Also, what did sales of WiiU look like when DQX was released?

(I know it's not exactly the same cause the game wasn't solely exclusive to WiiU, but it's still interesting to examine.)
You have already point out the differences yourself....

It sell good but its not much of a system sellers but people already own it on Wii. It cannot really be compared fairly to it coming out exclusively.

Then explain DQ 7 3DS and the other spinoffs that haven make it lol.

Not mainline

Well unless you know who he is in real life, he essentially is from the outside perspective!

This is just stupid. Verendus has been mod approved as an insider. Whether you believe him or not is up to you.

To Cheerilee, why does DQ on a Nintendo platform "do nothing for the series" in the west while DQ on a Sony platform would do something for the series in the west?

Simply because the only viable Nintendo platform is the 3DS. the viable Sony platforms are home consoles which are notable more popular in the West than handhelds.

Also lets not pretend graphics does not play a role. If DQ became the first next gen AAA jrpg it would get a lot more attention.

Metallix87

Simply because the only viable Nintendo platform is the 3DS. the viable Sony platforms are home consoles which are notable more popular in the West than handhelds.

Also lets not pretend graphics does not play a role. If DQ became the first next gen AAA jrpg it would get a lot more attention.

This is nonsensical. DQ8 did not benefit from Sony's "Western dominance", and there is no chance of DQ11 beating out FF15 in the West. Besides, Sony won't do shit for SE, while Nintendo will do the bulk of the work.

CANLI

Logically, it will be on 3ds and will be anounces just after the release of DQ MJ 2 remake.

The success of DQMJ 2 on 3ds. will reinforce Square Enix's thoughts.

3dsdqmj2a.jpg

I think people are hoping for the wrong DQ on PS4. Hope that PS4 actually takes off in Japan and maybe it'll get a DQXII. It makes no sense for a DQXI to happen and that will most likely be 3DS now that smartphones are supposedly out of the equation (though a port down the line isn't being ruled out).
This is nonsensical. DQ8 did not benefit from Sony's "Western dominance", and there is no chance of DQ11 beating out FF15 in the West. Besides, Sony won't do shit for SE, while Nintendo will do the bulk of the work.
Why are you assuming this will happen? There is no sign of DQX or DQVII 3DS in the West. That deal worked for DQIX, and they did help publish DQVI after it was abandoned by Square-Enix but there's no guarantee Nintendo will push for it again, let alone do the "bulk of the work".

KiTA

DQIX was fun but also lacking in many ways. If DQXI ends up on the 3ds I hope they make it a more robust rpg with much better characters and story. DQIX, while good, felt like a "my first rpg" kind of game which might explain why it sold so well.

Most people miss the point of DQ9: It was a roguelike.

Yes, it had a main story with static dungeons, but the meat of the game was in the free DLC quests and the grotto system, the former of which sent you into the latter.

sörine;94915306 said:
DQX sold 650k on Wii. That's more than any other MMO ever sold in Japan on any other system much less PS3.

And a good chunk of those purchases were for WiiU players (since WiiU could play it fine). It's one of the reasons FFXIV is platform locked -- don't expect to just download the PS4 version when FFXIV PS4 comes out, you're going to have to re-buy it.

There's this infuriating meme that states that DQX is bombing or somesuch, when in reality it's doing a lot better than even FFXI did - which was the most profitable FF game, ever. I'm really hoping the talk about DQX "overseas" meant we'll be getting the PC version if nothing else. (Although that talk was likely directed at China/Korea.)

What are you talking about? It sold 1+ million just like DQ9 in the West (1.4 million going by garaph's figures so even more). I never said DQ was going to beat FF that would be absurd but there is definitely room for growth in the West where there is a distinct lack of big budget jrpgs. Sony has done many things for SE lol

Top Bottom