• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI probably won't be for smartphones

Disqus and Siliconera doesn't seem to be working, right now.
Every single article being linked to I see here on NeoGAF always seems to tell me "no comments".

Personally, I expect the next Dragon Quest to be for handhelds. Perhaps the 3DS.

Which Sony home consoles are notably more popular than the 3ds in the west? The PS4 that has just launched and therefore has a much smaller install base or the PS3 which would make for a really late gen DQXI?

Err, both?

I don't know where this myth comes from that the 3ds is some monster platform. It kicks ass in Japan, but it's nothing spectacular outside.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Err, both?

I don't know where this myth comes from that the 3ds is some monster platform. It kicks ass in Japan, but it's nothing spectacular outside.

Pretty sure the 3DS is outselling the ps3 in most countries we know the sales data of in the west. How the PS4 does post holidays no one knows, but the 3DS while not being on top currently is certainly up there. Also the software sales on the PS3 seem to be definitely on a pretty big decline, with GT6 seemingly bombing, and most major million getting stuck in the cross gen transition.

KtSlime

Err, both?

Why would they care how it does outside? DQ is for Japan, so it will be made for the platform doing well there.

Shouta

3DS and Vita would be really nice if they want to go handheld but PS3 would be my ideal choice. It needs to be on Sony systems for me though because then importing it would be an option still unlike the 3DS.

entremet

Err, both?

DQ is a Japanese focused franchise. Japan, for the most part, has moved to handhelds. That's why people are predicting for 3DS.

And the ps3 is at 80 million...

You said both though. If you are trying to say month to month sales determine pop, 3DS has been beating ps3 worldwide. If you are trying to use lifetime sales, 3DS has PS4 beat there. If you're trying to use both, your argument is agenda driven, and you don't really care about facts so much as winning an argument even if it's on faulty premises.

Soriku

DQ XI on PS3? Yeah I think it's way too late for that now lol. Games like Persona or Tales are understandable but DQ XI seems like a long shot.

Would still rather PS3 than 3DS though.

Man that tweet. I really don't wanna believe it's real. If it is, why would Nintendo opt for an "unproven" new IP? Sure, DQ ain't CoD, but it still has its fans in the West. I really, really hope DQVII will be announced after BD's release. I can't imagine having to choose between these two games.

Aeana already debunked that tweet a long time ago.

You said both though. If you are trying to say month to month sales determine pop, 3DS has been beating ps3 worldwide. If you are trying to use lifetime sales, 3DS has PS4 beat there. If you're trying to use both, your argument is agenda driven, and you don't really care about facts so much as winning an argument even if it's on faulty premises.

So either way you slice it, one of those consoles is more popular worldwide. If you want to go LTD, ps3 wins easily. Month to month sales, ps4 beats it out, and that probably won't change.

Most popular platform in Japan is mobile, not 3ds.

KtSlime

So either way you slice it, one of those consoles is more popular worldwide. If you want to go LTD, ps3 wins easily. Month to month sales, ps4 beats it out, and that probably won't change.

Most popular platform in Japan is mobile, not 3ds.
PS4 has a monthly sales total of 0 in Japan.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
DQ is a Japanese focused franchise. Japan, for the most part, has moved to handhelds. That's why people are predicting for 3DS.

Also all the remakes and spin-offs it's gotten, which is usually a good sign of Enix prepping for a mainline dragon quest.

Not to comment where DQ goes (probably 3DS) but instead of hardware sales people should use software sales more when comparing health of the platforms. PS3 is absolutely crushing 3DS when it comes to software shipments. During next holiday PS4 is also probably already outshipping 3DS worldwide when it comes to software. 3DS software shipments have been even more disappointing than its hw sales (behind PSP, GBA, DS launch aligned).

Not to comment where DQ goes (probably 3DS) but instead of hardware sales people should use software sales more when comparing health of the platforms. PS3 is absolutely crushing 3DS when it comes to software shipments. During next holiday PS4 is also probably already outshipping 3DS worldwide when it comes to software. 3DS software shipments have been even more disappointing than its hw sales (behind PSP, GBA, DS launch aligned).

And now let's look at the thing that matters the most: Japan. And there is no argument at all to be made that 3DS gives the game the best potential in Japan.3DS software sales crush the PS3 currently and will crush the PS4 as well. People really think they're going to go chase some non existent western JRPG audience at the expense of their Japanese audience?

KtSlime

And now let's look at the thing that matters the most: Japan. And there is no argument at all to be made that 3DS gives the game the best potential in Japan.3DS software sales crush the PS3 currently and will crush the PS4 as well. People really think they're going to go chase some non existent western JRPG audience at the expense of their Japanese audience?

I think this is usually where much of GAF butts heads with SE.

after the shock of DQX being an MMO glad to see people still care enough

I want to play it on my Wii U if DQX ever shows up for the US

beyond that DQXI might just be a 3DS thing or PS4

Oh. I absolutely think so too that the game will be probably on 3DS because only sales that matter for DQ are the Japan sales. I am just generally annoyed that people like to use hw sales so much as a meter for success and health of the systems.

Top Bottom