• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown (Vanillaware PS3/PSV) Sorceress Trailer

jdl

Banned
personally i'm offended by the representation of the skeleton here. not all skeletons are submissive yet warmongering sword wielders.

most of the skeletons i know don't even own a sword let alone take it out with them in public.

But you can link to something that has nothing to do with what I said.

Do you even know what a strawman is? It's a fallacious argument.

Jennifer Dawe says says big tits does not equal objectification. I gave you a link where someone says it does.

Jennifer Dawe says restricting other people's freedoms (meaning forcing devs to change their art style to suit your tastes in this instance) is not what she wants. I gave you a link where someone says it's our obligation as gamers to do exactly that. And if you click through and read further you'll see he believes these changes make the product "better" as though it's an objective statement. Not better for me, mind you. Not better for Jennifer. Just better for him.

That's a direct rebuttal to what you claim is a strawman. It's not.

Lolicon (ロリコン?), also romanised as lolikon or rorikon,[1] is a Japanese portmanteau of the phrase "Lolita complex". In Japan, the term describes an attraction to underage girls (whether prepubescent, pubescent, or post-pubescent)[2][3] or an individual with such an attraction.

And here I was thinking it was early teens girls with small breasts. Or look like that anyway.

Riposte

Jason instead of calling people 14 year olds and being patronizing to women, how about you focus on giving interviews where you introduce and question these ideas with developers? See, that's something most people on GAF can't do. Feeling morally superior on the other hand, we have enough of that.

Giolon

She also has a very childish face that resembles lolicon imagery.

What....are you serious? You basically just called anyone who thinks her face is attractive or pretty a pedophile.

See, I don't think the sorceress's design is problematic because of her large breasts. What's problematic is that the character is explicitly designed to draw our eyes to her large breasts. They're exposed; they're jiggling; they're disproportionate. They're immediately striking.

So...you think they should be hidden? Static? Unmoving? Smaller? The character is designed to be titillating and exaggerated, grotesquely so.

They're part of a lolicon fantasy, drawn to appeal to people who are interested in lolicon fantasies (and people who are interested in large breasts).

Casting aspersions again.

You could say that, examined in a vacuum, this is just a silly cartoon. But viewed as part of the video game industry - and it is, despite its niche, part of the video game industry - this is just another example of an exclusionary chunk of gaming culture. On Twitter yesterday, one person said to me, "I like how you complain about some games being 'made for men and only men' as if that's a bad thing." Are you kidding me? I sure hope I don't need to explain why that's not okay.

It IS ok, Jason. Everything is not made for everybody. Twilight is not made for men. 50 Shades of Grey is not made for men. Generic romance novels at the grocery store are not made for men.

Some have accused me of singling out Dragon's Crown because Japanese niche games are easy targets for a westerner. That's just not true. I write a column every week about JRPGs. I'm criticizing this one because I don't want to see the genre headed in this direction. I want JRPGs with great female characters. Strong, complicated female characters who aren't defined by their sexuality, like Estelle in Trails in the Sky or Nanami in Suikoden II. Female characters who don't come across as aesthetic objects.

This is 1 Character. There are room for all types. I'm all for the strong characters, I love them too. Everything doesn't have to be a 100% positive aspirational role model. That's not a goal to aspire to because it leads everything to sameness. You can have Lulu and Yuna both. You can have Selvaria and Alicia. You can have Marle and Luca. You can have the Sorceress, the Amazon, and the Elf. Stop trying to dictate what female characters should and shouldn't exist.

You could say that, examined in a vacuum, this is just a silly cartoon. But viewed as part of the video game industry - and it is, despite its niche, part of the video game industry - this is just another example of an exclusionary chunk of gaming culture.

This is where the gulf is. There are two assumptions embedded in this that in my opinion are not fair to make:

1) That inclusiveness is something to strive for (or is even desirable), and

2) That every game has a responsibility to Represent Gaming Well.

Fundamentally disagree with both of those, strongly.

They're part of a lolicon fantasy, drawn to appeal to people who are interested in lolicon fantasies (and people who are interested in large breasts).

I don't think that means what you think it means.

So yes, maybe her design has something to do with fertility, or necromancy. Maybe she's a strong, multifaceted character with interesting thoughts and ambitions. None of that really matters, because her body is presented as a jiggling sexual object for people to leer at.

I don't see how that doesn't matter. It's part of the context. It's like cherrypicking an "offensive" line intended to be satirical out of a film and claiming that the fact that it's satire doesn't matter. You can take fucktons of stuff out of context in multiple forms of media and make them look offensive extremely easily.

So Jason's gone from saying that an image like the Sorceress is drawn to appeal to 14 year old boys to saying that she's now a lolicon fantasy.

APF

How cool is it that I can't voice an opinion as the minority this actually affects without some people telling me how to feel about it?

No one is preventing you from voicing your opinion. I'm not asking you to feel differently about anything. I asked you another question on a different subject: how cool are you with racist games, if you object to people "censoring" or "labeling" art by voicing their own objections.

The size of her tits isn't the issue. She is very clearly being sexually objectified.

NzmP1VT.jpg

I showed this picture to my fiancee and asked her if she felt it was sexually-objectifying. She looked at it in horror, then started laughing. "That's just awful! Of course it is!" Then she said, "but really all games and anime draw women like that. What's wrong with them?"

I haven't read this entire thread, but the accusations I've seen - that I'm only doing this for pageviews; that I don't actually care about the things I'm saying; that my criticism is contributing to the mistreatment of women - are inappropriate, out of line, and rather disgusting. I won't address those.

I will, however, elaborate on my points, since it doesn't seem like I've been clear enough.

For reference, let's look at this picture of the sorceress. Other than her proportions, there are a couple of details worth noting. One is that her shirt is trying to escape from her chest. She also has a very childish face that resembles lolicon imagery. I don't think either of those features is beautiful or worth lauding in any way.

Now let's look at the gif that was posted earlier in this thread. Maybe you think it's reasonable, or beautiful, or aesthetically pleasing when a female character's breasts move like that during combat. I don't. I think it's demeaning and embarrassing.

See, I don't think the sorceress's design is problematic because of her large breasts. What's problematic is that the character is explicitly designed to draw our eyes to her large breasts. They're exposed; they're jiggling; they're disproportionate. They're immediately striking. They're part of a lolicon fantasy, drawn to appeal to people who are interested in lolicon fantasies (and people who are interested in large breasts).

So yes, maybe her design has something to do with fertility, or necromancy. Maybe she's a strong, multifaceted character with interesting thoughts and ambitions. None of that really matters, because her body is presented as a jiggling sexual object for people to leer at.

(To those of you who are ready to argue that the men in Dragon's Crown are sexually objectified as well, please google "adolescent male power fantasy" and read explanations from people more qualified than I.)

Go ahead and look at that gif again. I hope you can see how that might make people feel uncomfortable.

You could say that, examined in a vacuum, this is just a silly cartoon. But viewed as part of the video game industry - and it is, despite its niche, part of the video game industry - this is just another example of an exclusionary chunk of gaming culture. On Twitter yesterday, one person said to me, "I like how you complain about some games being 'made for men and only men' as if that's a bad thing." Are you kidding me? I sure hope I don't need to explain why that's not okay.

Some have accused me of singling out Dragon's Crown because Japanese niche games are easy targets for a westerner. That's just not true. I write a column every week about JRPGs. I'm criticizing this one because I don't want to see the genre headed in this direction. I want JRPGs with great female characters. Strong, complicated female characters who aren't defined by their sexuality, like Estelle in Trails in the Sky or Nanami in Suikoden II. Female characters who don't come across as aesthetic objects.

One more thing: I'm probably the only person here who has actually played Dragon's Crown, and I have no interest in seeing it burn. It's a fun, interesting game that I hope to buy and play and write about. Otherwise I wouldn't care this much.

You can have strong, complicated female characters who own their sexuality. They are not mutually exclusive. This is the same crap I read when Bayo came out despite the fact that Jeanne was also in game and that the creator did DMC. He completely objectified a dude first and people were still all over him. It's ridiculous. These arguments do nothing to actually engage the issue of representations and only put people on the defensive.

No one is preventing you from voicing your opinion. I'm not asking you to feel differently about anything. I asked you another question on a different subject: how cool are you with racist games, if you object to people "censoring" or "labeling" art by voicing their own objections."

Why are you bringing race into this? Let's get some more comically stupid articles about how we should find that little girl in Borderlands offensive. Gaming journalism sure had that down pat too right?

suzu

Just a random note: Suikoden II (and all the Suikoden games) has Jeanne. :p

Pimpbaa

What does that even mean?

"as problematic as the next thing"?

In this very specific instance I label it as sexually objectifying. Is that the end of the world? No. Is that the worst thing to ever happen to a woman? No. Do I think everyone who enjoys this game is a terrible person? No. Is it an annoying part of our culture because there is just so much of it all of the time? Yes.

The problem is you are just looking at the character and immediately claim the character is a sex object while knowing nothing of the character herself. It's the same as seeing a shapely girl on the beach in a skimpy bikini and automatically labeling her as a slut.

No one is preventing you from voicing your opinion. I'm not asking you to feel differently about anything. I asked you another question on a different subject: how cool are you with racist games, if you object to people "censoring" or "labeling" art by voicing their own objections.

I dont understand why you keep trying to draw some equivalence between racism and sexual objectification. They are broadly similar, but when it gets down to the nuts and bolts of it - especially in this conversation - it's apples and oranges.

Pimpbaa said:
The problem is you are just looking at the character and immediately claim the character is a sex object while knowing nothing of the character herself. It's the same as seeing a shapely girl on the beach in a skimpy bikini and automatically labeling her as a slut.

Look, I'll go a step farther and say it doesn't even really matter whether the character is a sex object or not. Let's say she does ooze sexuality from every pore, and every line of dialogue is steeped in it. What exactly is the objection to an exaggerated avatar of female sexuality?

I showed this picture to my fiancee and asked her if she felt it was sexually-objectifying. She looked at it in horror, then started laughing. "That's just awful! Of course it is!" Then she said, "but really all games and anime draw women like that, what's wrong with them?"

This just makes your girlfriend sound ignorant.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Just a random note: Suikoden II (and all the Suikoden games) has Jeanne. :p
Well, I'm not going to go into any depth on that; look up any backstory, character development or her relationships to other characters and just call it sexist and embarrassing. Slap a picture and you've got yourself an article.

You can have strong, complicated female characters who own their sexuality. They are not mutually exclusive. This is the same crap I read when Bayo came out despite the fact that Jeanne was also in game and that the creator did DMC. He completely objectified a dude first and people were still all over him. It's ridiculous. These arguments do nothing to actually engage the issue of representations and only put people on the defensive.
What? (If you post something from Devil May Cry 2, 3, or 4 I'm going to give you a funny look.)

it offends YOU.

That is the crux of this issue.

Stop trying to make it a crusade.

That's fine if it somehow offends you.

But the sweeping broad statements about how "this is why Women don't game" is fucking bullshit since many Female Gaffer have commented that this doesn't bug them. You are speaking for an entire gender which is stupid and makes you points fail.

Some women are probably offended. i'm sure.

I'm sure some Italian guy out there is offended by Mario. PETA hates Pokemon. GTA got a lot of grief for it's violence.

The key is that while yeah each of those have merits about being offensive but if you were to create an article saying "EVERY Italian is offended by Mario and Nintendo should think about what they did" would be insanely stupid.

TLDR Version: YOU don't like it. it's Cool. But don't make it out to be some big thing when the people you are standing up for aren't all offended.

Otherwise, if one person is enough to go to bat for then go to bat for the Mario guy. Or PETA. or the soccer moms against violent videogame.

APF

I dont understand why you keep trying to draw some equivalence between racism and sexual objectification.
Nothing is equivalent. I'm drawing a comparison in order to figure out what people's actual boundaries are. People on GAF are way more cautious when it comes to speaking about race than they are when speaking about women, so I'm hoping that the comparison will force someone to finally realize they're making poor arguments that they don't hold consistently.

This just makes your girlfriend sound ignorant.
Fiancee, and thanks for belittling her because she dares to disagree with you.

DarkKyo

You can have strong, complicated female characters who own their sexuality. They are not mutually exclusive.

Very well said. People don't seem to understand this. Believe it or not, women with large breasts can quite often have human personalities behind them.

Regardless of whether or not the character/person is attempting to dress or come off as sexy, it doesn't necessarily objectify them.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Yeah, she's pretty ridiculous-looking, especially in Suikoden V.
And? AND!?

Can you go beyond face value? I know it might feel like I'm handing you a noose every time I reply, but Christ. It feels like you're in that vacuum, surrounded by people who take quick looks at images and make superficial admonishments from soapboxes.

GQman2121

Banned
I hope I'm not alone in that I had to double tap, right click and search for Lolicon. I had no idea that was labeled as a thing.

Personally, I've seen all the art for the game and thought nothing more than....hey, that looks cool and different. I'll keep an eye on this and see how it turns out.

At no point did the notion of huge tits and big muscles come into my head as a reason to want to learn more about the game. It just looks like visually alluring art to me that supports what they're trying to achieve with the gameplay. This is further supported by the fact that it's hand drawn.

Now if this were a mega budget AAA game and the visual style were more realistic, then I would probably lean the other way - if only by the slightest amount.

As it stands though, this seems like a lot of talk over nothing.

I think trouble arises when one attacks a specific thing, instead of overall trends. It has the side effect of being alienating or excluding when the goal is the opposite.

There are women who like the sorceress, women who are indifferent to the sorceress, and women who dislike the sorceress. All of these are right. When one writes that the design of the sorceress is, specifically, wrong and bad and is hurting women and the industry, it alienates those women who like or are indifferent to the design. In addition, anyone who shares features with the sorceress, such as a youthful face or large breasts, is being alienated when you attack those aspects of her design. Just imagine being in the shoes of a woman who really likes the sorceress and wants to play Dragon's Crown but then reads that this depiction is ruining games for women in an article written by a man.

One should criticize the overall trend of overly sexualized women in games and how there aren't enough different kinds of women without specifically attacking one example for being in some way "bad." Attack the trend of how we place value on women in games in limited categories, such as sex appeal, not that those categories themselves are necessarily bad. Inclusion would be embracing a variety of different aesthetics and viewpoints and life experiences, not replacing one with another.

One could say that the Amazon character in this game actually depicts a body type that you don't see very often at all in video games, and in that way is helping diversity in the line up a little. The game overall is a bit unusual, being a Japanese niche 2D beat em up with a very particular art style.

I think trouble arises when one attacks a specific thing, instead of overall trends. It has the side effect of being alienating or excluding when the goal is the opposite.

There are women who like the sorceress, women who are indifferent to the sorceress, and women who dislike the sorceress. All of these are right. When one writes that the design of the sorceress is, specifically, wrong and bad and is hurting women and the industry, it alienates those women who like or are indifferent to the design. In addition, anyone who shares features with the sorceress, such as a youthful face or large breasts, is being alienated when you attack those aspects of her design. Just imagine being in the shoes of a woman who really likes the sorceress and wants to play Dragon's Crown but then reads that this depiction is ruining games for women in an article written by a man.

One should criticize the overall trend of overly sexualized women in games and how there aren't enough different kinds of women without specifically attacking one example for being in some way "bad." Attack the trend of how we place value on women in games in limited categories, such as sex appeal, not that those categories themselves are necessarily bad. Inclusion would be embracing a variety of different aesthetics and viewpoints and live experiences, not replacing one with another.

One could say that the Amazon character in this game actually depicts a body type that you don't see very often at all in video games, and in that way is helping diversity in the line up a little. The game overall is a bit unusual, being a Japanese niche 2D beat em up with a very particular art style.

This is a great post, thank you.

Sol1dus

Game looks fun. Art looks great. I'd rather a nice looking character than an ugly character. If you don't like the sorceress play as the other choices. Really a non-issue.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

One should criticize the overall trend of overly sexualized women in games and how there aren't enough different kinds of women without specifically attacking one example for being in some way "bad." Attack the trend of how we place value on women in games in limited categories, such as sex appeal, not that those categories themselves are necessarily bad. Inclusion would be embracing a variety of different aesthetics and viewpoints and life experiences, not replacing one with another.

100% this

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

Quoting for quality.

Nothing is equivalent. I'm drawing a comparison in order to figure out what people's actual boundaries are. People on GAF are way more cautious when it comes to speaking about race than they are when speaking about women, so I'm hoping that the comparison will force someone to finally realize they're making poor arguments that they don't hold consistently.

I'm not going to speak for the other guy, but I'd be fine with racist games. I wouldn't want to play them, but there's nothing wrong with someone deciding to make them. Which is the point here. Don't support what you don't like. If nobody likes this stuff it will go away of its own accord.

Fiancee, and thanks for belittling her because she dares to disagree with you.

I'm not belittling her. But whatever point you were trying to make is negated because your girlfriend is ignorant of the subject matter and clearly prejudiced. All games and anime do not draw women like the sorceress. That's what makes the design okay in my books. There is no systemic prejudice at work here. Show your girlfriend a picture of the elf from the same game for goodness sake. Educate her.

I'm not going to speak for the other guy, but I'd be fine with racist games. I wouldn't want to play them, but there's nothing wrong with someone deciding to make them. Which is the point here. Don't support what you don't like. If nobody likes this stuff it will go away of its own accord.

I'm not belittling her. But whatever point you were trying to make is negated because your girlfriend is ignorant of the subject matter and clearly prejudiced. All games and anime do not draw women like the sorceress. That's what makes the design okay in my books. There is no systemic prejudice at work here. Show your girlfriend a picture of the elf from the same game for goodness sake. Educate her.

You can speak for me, I think you're pretty much on the money.

Indeed! I actually wish people would spend less time harping on the Sorceress, and more time praising the Amazon. When was the last time a beautiful, bodybuilder-esque woman was placed in a game? It's pretty rare, regardless.

Missed this one.

I find the Amazon much more appealing personally, but admittedly she falls more in line with my personal aesthetic preferences regarding women. Take that as you will in regards to this discussion.

All I know is she is very unique, and I know I'm looking forward to playing as her.

I do find it maybe a little curious that the character with the assets statistically more desirable to the most men is the one first discussed. Could mean absolutely nothing, could be very telling, I dunno. Not being a breast man, I must say that I perceive an overabundance of discussion about them in general, and it actually makes me feel a little odd or left out not finding them to be as desirable a feature of a woman as some men do. But of course, it's not like human sexuality is a simple subject.

I'm starting to ramble. Time to shut up and go to sleep I think.

APF

I'm not going to speak for the other guy, but I'd be fine with racist games. I wouldn't want to play them, but there's nothing wrong with someone deciding to make them.
Well first off, of course there is something wrong with deciding to make racist games. I think (hope? pray?) what you mean is, they shouldn't be prevented by law from doing so. Second, the point is that criticism (free speech) shouldn't be curtailed because someone has created a product or a piece of art. It's completely backwards thinking to say that because someone has used their freedom of expression, no one should be able to counter it with their own free expression.

I'm not belittling her. But whatever point you were trying to make is negated
Why are you saying a woman can't make up her own mind about what she finds sexually-objectifying?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

This is a point that gets missed a lot in these kinds of discussions IMO.

Reminds me of a conversation about movies I sat in on one time. It kind of went like this:

Person A: That action film that just came out with a male hero is just another wasted opportunity. The hero could have been a women. We all know it's because they won't fund a popcorn movie with a female lead.

Person B: So is it really a bad movie though? The supporting female characters are pretty strong, and don't idolize the protagonist.

Person A: It's bad because it's just another film that supports the status quo.

Person B: But if it was the exact same film it is now, there would be no problem with it, if more films starring female action heroes were already out there?

And there we get to the rub. Singling one particular work out to "die for the sins" of a generalized trend can become its own kind of oppression or persecution and may promote distraction with redunctionism - "should this be allowed to exist? How can we be sure? Have we asked everybody yet? What can we agree is a consensus?" I don't like it because it's a subtractive, rather than additive, ethic. In order to balance the scales you argue about what to take away, rather than focus on adding to that which is under-represented. All that does is remove a thing which may well have had a right to be there. Everyone is poorer for that.

Indeed! I actually wish people would spend less time harping on the Sorceress, and more time praising the Amazon. When was the last time a beautiful, bodybuilder-esque woman was placed in a game? It's pretty rare, regardless.

Finally, someone points this out! Amazon is my favorite design in the game.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I hope Vanillaware's next game has a Samantha Wright type character.

Amazon + Archer fusion!

Top Bottom