• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma 2 Doesn't Have Multiple Save Files

Draugoth

Gold Member
a8bWooT.png

A new preview for Dragon's Dogma 2 reveals that it will only let players make one save at a time, just like the original. Not only will this lock you into one playthrough at once, but the save file will also be overwritten by autosaves, so you won't be able to make multiple backups in case you want to change your strategy.

This comes from IGN Japan's latest preview of Dragon's Dogma 2, shedding some more light on the sequel ahead of its launch on March 22. Unfortunately, this isn't as positive as other reveals have been, as developer Capcom is sticking to a feature from the first Dragon's Dogma that fans would have been hoping not to see again.

In the preview, translated into English via Google, it's noted that,

"There is only one save slot in this game, and auto saves and manual saves share that slot." It also highlights that the game is "quite tough by modern open-world standards".

Neilg

I don't understand why people keep complaining about the features of dd2 that funnel you into playing it the way it was designed. If you don't like it and were hoping for Skyrim with better combat, it ain't that and was never going to be.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Can someone explain how multiplayer does or does not work in this game? Me and my pal are both going to play it, but we can never play together right? We make AI pawns and then we could hire each other pawns and thats the extend of the "MP" component? Or is there something else?

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Can someone explain how multiplayer does or does not work in this game? Me and my pal are both going to play it, but we can never play together right? We make AI pawns and then we could hire each other pawns and thats the extend of the "MP" component? Or is there something else?
There's no multiplayer

Jakk

That's such a stupid decision, can't believe some clowns are actually defending it. Why not have the option to use multiple save slots, it's not like you have to use more than one if you don't want to. There's going to be a mod for it anyway.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
so it's dark souls. ok sure.

People were saying the same for the original and that released at a time when games were overall a bit more difficult than modern open worlds today. So I would assume its probably about the same if not a little easier than DD 1 was.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
If it’s actually 30 fps on consoles then I will skip. I was originally going to double dip, but not for 30 fps. Will have to get for PC, hopefully my build is done before launch.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Many years ago, I probably would've said cool, no issue. Nowadays when every single game released so far has been bug-infested, eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh. Will wait for early fools buyers to test the game first.

RavageX

Well thankfully this affects me not at all. I really just plan to play the game you know? Stick to one character and truck right along.

I suddenly realize that I still have a lot of things to finish in the Dark Arisen...

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
If it’s actually 30 fps on consoles then I will skip. I was originally going to double dip, but not for 30 fps. Will have to get for PC, hopefully my build is done before launch.
gameplay previews were unlocked and barely did 60. Looked like mostly 30+ to me.
I don't much care. This looks like it could be a good 30fps title. Hopefully they have 40fps mode.

REngine was alawys great on pc and better performing but this is the first use of REngine in this open world configuration.

Mister Wolf

gameplay previews were unlocked and barely did 60. Looked like mostly 30+ to me.
I don't much care. This looks like it could be a good 30fps title. Hopefully they have 40fps mode.

REngine was alawys great on pc and better performing but this is the first use of REngine in this open world configuration.

You're buying this on PC right?

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You're buying this on PC right?
I've not ordered it yet on ay platform.
PC will be cheaper and for sure will run faster on my pc. At least 2x faster. it is a better buy probably.
But... capcom has some trouble with vram usage on REngine.

I am sure there will be a demo for both platforms.
also depending on Dualsense support and 3d audio (since I am getting pulse elite too).

Svejk

It's most likely because of how pawn uploading works.. makes sense why they kept it the same. Never was an issue in the first one anyhow.

SaintALia

And? You can fail quests,miss quests etc, its fine, choices have consequences and is how a RPG should be. Not a issue at all…
Just wanted to say to this. Normally I'd agree. But Dragon's Dogma works oddly in that. Your actions do indeed have consequences, but the game doesn't really tell you shit about it.

Doing a quest, made a wrong move? Quest Failed, no take-backsies, no re-dos, which may have repercussion on other quests down the line. In a quest, and you may need to do an action that changes the course of that quest(choosing to help the queen, interfering in a certain duel)? Do Y quest before you do X quest? Game doesn't tell you that, but the decision will be made. And again, may affect further quests down the line. It isn't like more Western rpgs where they may explicitly present choices before you to choose.

You may be screwing over your playthrough and not know, and quests can have web like tendencies, affecting other quests, areas, and items to obtain. Hell, it isn't even like Dark Souls where you intuitively know you can help certain characters and see them onto areas....for the most part anyway, I'd never know about Solaire's head crab problem without reading about it or some of the other weird 'triggers' for proper quest progression in those games with it's characters..

While I do like the some of the quests in the original DD, I don't really care what they do with the quests in DD2. I'm still looking for their equivalent of BBI, or if they still plan to sell us a DLC BBI, which I wouldn't put past Capcom. As for saving, I manually backed up my saves for the game, it can be annoying, but I'm used to it.

Last edited:

Vlodril

I don't understand why people keep complaining about the features of dd2 that funnel you into playing it the way it was designed. If you don't like it and were hoping for Skyrim with better combat, it ain't that and was never going to be.

Devs: I don't understand why our game failed again. Just can't put my finger on it.

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
And? You can fail quests,miss quests etc, its fine, choices have consequences and is how a RPG should be. Not a issue at all…
Meanwhile, Baldur’s Gate 3 has all of these things and allows for multiple save files.

Look, I’m stupid excited for this product. I 100%’d the original on Xbox 360 and platinumed on PS3, did everything in Dark Arisen on PS3, then bought the remaster on PS4. Needless to say, I love the game. But the excuses some folks are making on the sequel’s behalf are absurd. There is good design and bad design. The antiquated fast travel system is bad design. Locking you to one save slot is bad design. This is the kind of stuff that makes people not buy games, and I would prefer to have a third game made someday. If the sequel fails to meet expectations and a third one is never made, bad design choices will be part of the reason why.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Meanwhile, Baldur’s Gate 3 has all of these things and allows for multiple save files.
Does bg3 have the pawn system? Because that's the real reason, multiple characters means the server has to keep track of multiple pawns since the pawn is tied to your online ID; it's meicyn's pawn, not meicyn has these 20 characters which pawn do you want?
Technically doable I suppose but also just more of a hassle, and just wasting server time when you decide to abandon (not delete) a bunch of characters, but the server is still tracking all the gifts and knowledge those pawns are gaining.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Does bg3 have the pawn system? Because that's the real reason, multiple characters means the server has to keep track of multiple pawns since the pawn is tied to your online ID; it's meicyn's pawn, not meicyn has these 20 characters which pawn do you want?
Technically doable I suppose but also just more of a hassle, and just wasting server time when you decide to abandon (not delete) a bunch of characters, but the server is still tracking all the gifts and knowledge those pawns are gaining.
This is an easily solved technical problem. You make it so each online ID can only have one pawn uploaded to the servers at any point, and the uploading is preempted by a user prompt when you access a rift stone for the first time. If you’re on a different save file, this allows you to play a different character with the functional equivalent of offline mode.

Last edited:
Top Bottom