• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma 2 Doesn't Have Multiple Save Files

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
This is an easily solved technical problem.
I excluded this on purpose, hoping you wouldn't reply with this, because it's not, it's still wasting server time, pawns don't get updated for players in real time, the server is still tracking everything they are doing for other players to reward rc and knowledge and gifts; pawn gets sent back, whoops that pawn doesn't exist anymore, guess the server will just toss all the information it was tracking into the ether and that pawn gains nothing.

Meicyn

Gold Member
I excluded this on purpose, hoping you wouldn't reply with this, because it's not, it's still wasting server time, pawns don't get updated for players in real time, the server is still tracking everything they are doing for other players to reward rc and knowledge and gifts; pawn gets sent back, whoops that pawn doesn't exist anymore, guess the server will just toss all the information it was tracking into the ether and that pawn gains nothing.
I understand the mechanics. However, the server isn’t constantly being bombarded with the pawn’s exploits moment to moment by every player akin to the activity of any MMO. The server is updated with data to determine RC rewards, how it was rated, and potential gifts when the pawn is dismissed.

The processing cost you are talking about is miniscule, at the cost of the player losing the ability to have multiple save files, a very basic feature of RPGs available since the 1980s. This is not good design.

Edit: Furthermore, the very thing you are talking about happens anyway if you elect to start a new character which deletes your existing save file. This means that your pawn, if they were hired by someone else, has its information sent to the server upon dismissal which then goes into the ether, as you put it. It’s not an existing problem for the original game, and it wouldn’t be a problem if the solution I proposed were implemented.

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
I don't fucking know why game companies do these changes. Starfield also did all kinds of shenanigans, like if you sided with the pirates or uc sysdef, it killed your earlier saves, because why not. But why on earth? I won't fucking replay the game, just because I kicked the fucking nutchaser squirrel in the balls when it tried to extort me for some acorns and that resulted in a catastrophic event somehow and the girl with the gargantuan big arse doesn't wanna run with me into the sunset anymore. At the same time I like to revisit places later, but of course these changes fuck it all up.

Maybe it's time to send Alexander Anderson over to these companies to do some cleansing.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
However, the server isn’t constantly being bombarded with the pawn’s exploits moment to moment by every player
I didn't say so, I said it's wasting server time, which it does; it doesn't just happen on dismissal, but also on death, a pawn that gets brined by accident or simply because it wasn't strong enough also gets its tracked information synchronised right away. But now your pawn doesn't exist anymore and the server has to decide what to do with it, which would be to get rid of it; end result is the pawn gets nothing.
It’s not an existing problem for the original game, and it wouldn’t be a problem if the solution I proposed were implemented.
...it's not a problem with the original game because you aren't locked into any class and the world is on a loop so you can't really miss anything, that aside, people aren't just casually deleting all their progress either, heck fluffyquack got the go ahead from capcom/wbacon for his save transfer tool because that was the number one question about the pc version of the game, can I transfer my save somehow?

I won't fucking replay the game
Dragon's dogma is literally 'Replay: The Game' lol

Meicyn

Gold Member
I said it's wasting server time
So?

But now your pawn doesn't exist anymore and the server has to decide what to do with it, which would be to get rid of it; end result is the pawn gets nothing.
So?

...it's not a problem with the original game because you aren't locked into any class and the world is on a loop so you can't really miss anything, that aside, people aren't just casually deleting all their progress either
Actually, it is. On my second playthrough, I created a brand new character because I wanted to experience hard mode with a fresh level 1 character, and not my decked out almost triple digit character full of dragonforged gear. Plenty of others have done so as well, evidenced by discussions throughout the years on how it is incredibly easy to get one-shot in the early game by bandit arrows on a fresh character in hard mode. My pawn was regularly recruited as I had insane amounts of rift crystals, and once my hard mode character was created, anyone that still had my original pawn hired before I restarted ”wasted the server’s time”. Servers were fine, BTW.

The game having a plot-based explanation for the equivalent of new game plus does not excuse the exclusion of multiple save files. The “cycle of eternal return” theme wouldn’t be diluted if I could make a second character without having to delete my first.

heck fluffyquack got the go ahead from capcom/wbacon for his save transfer tool because that was the number one question about the pc version of the game, can I transfer my save somehow?
I like how your manufactured “problem” with save files, pawns, and servers is suddenly not a problem anymore in this sentence.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
it's clearly not worth it for capcom
sure, let's have a system that rewards the hiring of a core aspect of the game, but just ignore it because meicyn doesn't care.
Servers were fine, BTW.
of course they were, it's still factually a waste of server time, and also players like you were the vast minority.
I like how your manufactured “problem” with save files, pawns, and servers is suddenly not a problem anymore in this sentence.
...why would it be? The tool transfered the save from console to pc, they aren't on the same server.

Meicyn

Gold Member
it's clearly not worth it for capcom
Some of the reception here regarding this news of one save file only suggests that maybe it might have been worth their time. Money talks after all, it’s a miracle we’re getting a sequel in the first place. I sincerely hope the game does well, but design decisions like this is already having a negative result.

sure, let's have a system that rewards the hiring of a core aspect of the game, but just ignore it because meicyn doesn't care.
Um, what? If the pawn is deleted, of course it’s going to get nothing. Hence why I said “so” in the interrogative. It’s not a comment about the pawn system, it’s a comment that your concerns about what a deleted pawn receives or doesn’t receive is irrelevant because the pawn no longer exists.

This is the strangest discussion I’ve ever seen on the subject of Dragon’s Dogma.

of course they were, it's still factually a waste of server time, and also players like you were the vast minority.
Okay, so we’re doing an unironic ACKSHUALLY now. Cool.

...why would it be? The tool transfered the save from console to pc, they aren't on the same server.
But does it delete the pawn from the console edition’s server? We wouldn’t want to waste the server’s precious resources, after all.

You know, after typing all this out, I don’t know why I’m engaging with you. You’re White Knighting one-save-file-only for an action RPG, because a server might have extra pawn data that might have to occasionally be deleted. This reminds me a lot of how a tiny minority of folks insisted when the notoriously awful Final Fantasy XIV 1.0 launch happened, that everything was fine, and it just beggared belief.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
This is bullshit. I don't intend to save scum, but sometimes save files get corrupted and I always like to have a backup or several. Recently one of my Alan Wake 2 saves got fucked and the cloud backup was a day old. It happens and allowing multiple saves at least gives the player some piece of mind.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Um, what? If the pawn is deleted, of course it’s going to get nothing.
So it's a waste of time for the server asking to synchronise and it's ignoring the entire point of the pawn system because who cares, just delete all the information and gifts they've gathered; might as well have an option to not create a pawn at all, but then why even play DD.
But does it delete the pawn from the console edition’s server? We wouldn’t want to waste the server’s precious resources, after all.
Don't be silly, the console version didn't stop existing after the pc launch, it still needs to function status quo.
You’re White Knighting one-save-file-only for an action RPG
I'm not white whatevering anything, you just very cavalier have all the simple solutions that capcom was incapable of thinking of apparently. I provided one of the technical reasons they didn't go the multiple pawns route in the first game and if they don't want to do it for the second game either, it's just clearly not worth it to them, for whatever extra technical or design reasons.

Gojiira

Just wanted to say to this. Normally I'd agree. But Dragon's Dogma works oddly in that. Your actions do indeed have consequences, but the game doesn't really tell you shit about it.

Doing a quest, made a wrong move? Quest Failed, no take-backsies, no re-dos, which may have repercussion on other quests down the line. In a quest, and you may need to do an action that changes the course of that quest(choosing to help the queen, interfering in a certain duel)? Do Y quest before you do X quest? Game doesn't tell you that, but the decision will be made. And again, may affect further quests down the line. It isn't like more Western rpgs where they may explicitly present choices before you to choose.

You may be screwing over your playthrough and not know, and quests can have web like tendencies, affecting other quests, areas, and items to obtain. Hell, it isn't even like Dark Souls where you intuitively know you can help certain characters and see them onto areas....for the most part anyway, I'd never know about Solaire's head crab problem without reading about it or some of the other weird 'triggers' for proper quest progression in those games with it's characters..

While I do like the some of the quests in the original DD, I don't really care what they do with the quests in DD2. I'm still looking for their equivalent of BBI, or if they still plan to sell us a DLC BBI, which I wouldn't put past Capcom. As for saving, I manually backed up my saves for the game, it can be annoying, but I'm used to it.
Thats literally WHY this kind of quest design is how it should be, the fact you can say ‘interfere in a duel’ but the game doesnt explicitly tell you just gives you the player more agency. Especially since that duel in question involved one of your love interests against a considerably stronger opponent.
And again the game not telling you that your choice has a consequence is also how it should be, your character isn’t omnipresent,they wouldn't know what impact their choice has until they experience it, so its more immersive,less gamey and obviously less hand holding.
Honestly its not a issue in the Souls series where quests and consequences are obtuse and no this game isnt as obtuse as say Dark Souls 1 which requires extremely specific progression, and I really dont get why it is here either. I dont want every game to be casual protecting, Capcom intentionally made it this way,dont like it? Fuck off (not you personally)…
And yes,can totally upload save to cloud for backup or to save scum if you really need to.

Gojiira

Meanwhile, Baldur’s Gate 3 has all of these things and allows for multiple save files.

Look, I’m stupid excited for this product. I 100%’d the original on Xbox 360 and platinumed on PS3, did everything in Dark Arisen on PS3, then bought the remaster on PS4. Needless to say, I love the game. But the excuses some folks are making on the sequel’s behalf are absurd. There is good design and bad design. The antiquated fast travel system is bad design. Locking you to one save slot is bad design. This is the kind of stuff that makes people not buy games, and I would prefer to have a third game made someday. If the sequel fails to meet expectations and a third one is never made, bad design choices will be part of the reason why.
Sorry but you can’t claim it as ‘excuses’ when your pushing your view on something as subjective as the design choices.
Are all the whingers going to make the same kind of rhetoric for Monster Hunter Wilds? Another Capcom franchise that deliberately does things a very specific way? Just for reference Monster Hunter World is one of Capcoms biggest sellers despite how everything is deliberately designed…
DD2 will sell or not on the strength of its gameplay,story and how engaging it is, not whether you can insta fast travel or cant rollback choices (which again never hindered the Souls series sales btw)

Fredrik

Any good rpg really shouldn't have multiple save files.
One autosaving save file is a terrible thing tbh, means you have one attempt, everything needs to be cleared the first time. dice roll mechanics and action sequences. A game without at least one manual save needs to be structured perfectly to not lead to frustration or be short enough like old games so you can kinda accept to replay.

Pejo

Question, if DD2 had a "permadeath" mode, how many of you would play it for the FIRST blind playthrough? I think I honestly might, if it was an option.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Question, if DD2 had a "permadeath" mode, how many of you would play it for the FIRST blind playthrough? I think I honestly might, if it was an option.
That sounds fun on paper but I feel like it would just get frustrating.

draliko

You want this game to be something it isn't , not every game please everyone. Just like telling kojima to stop long hour cutscenes... Not gonna happen, enjoy the dev vision, if you don't like it play something else, I can't stand turn based combat and didn't play bg3 for that... But it is what it is and bg4 will probably still be turn based, and luckily for folks who like that

Danjin44

You want this game to be something it isn't , not every game please everyone. Just like telling kojima to stop long hour cutscenes... Not gonna happen, enjoy the dev vision, if you don't like it play something else, I can't stand turn based combat and didn't play bg3 for that... But it is what it is and bg4 will probably still be turn based, and luckily for folks who like that
I can I agree with that, like or not Devs have every right to design their games however they want and Dragon Dogma got its cult following exactly because it played very different than any RPG out there.

We get interesting games thanks to some devs willing not to follow the “standard“…..it a risk but we get great ones thanks to those risks.

Last edited:
Generally would not be an issue for me. (Unless save file corrupts which happens rarely).

But this along with no fast travel is going to make covering long distances punishing. Hopefully they have put some thought into all this and made it fun and not annoying.

Meicyn

Gold Member
1 save per character slot. I even booted up the game right now just to make sure.
Let me clarify: Dragon’s Dogma doesn’t allow you to have more than one character. If you want to play a character with a fresh new start at level 1 again like in every other RPG, you can’t unless you delete your existing character. Why? Because fuck you. Capcom knows better.

It’s utter insanity to me that there is a defense force for this shit.

Pejo

1 save per character slot. I even booted up the game right now just to make sure.
Well yea, 1 per character, 3 character slots. I consider each character a "save file".
That sounds fun on paper but I feel like it would just get frustrating.
I guess it depends on your mindset going into the game. A lot of people rightfully play games solely to "beat" them, but I think DD2 might be a game that it's totally fine to just play by immersion and consider the journey the real experience. The way that Itsuno has been talking things up like "making travel worthwhile" and unscripted and unplanned events making the dev team happy, I could see myself playing it like Skyrim where I don't really have any particular goal in mind, and just go exploring. In that aspect, I think Permadeath could be fun. Really make you prepare for every outing, really make you consider your decisions instead of just running in head first as many times as it takes to win (ala Dark Souls style).

I would never want it to be the default way to play, but I think it could be a lot of fun.

SaintALia

Thats literally WHY this kind of quest design is how it should be, the fact you can say ‘interfere in a duel’ but the game doesnt explicitly tell you just gives you the player more agency. Especially since that duel in question involved one of your love interests against a considerably stronger opponent.
And again the game not telling you that your choice has a consequence is also how it should be, your character isn’t omnipresent,they wouldn't know what impact their choice has until they experience it, so its more immersive,less gamey and obviously less hand holding.
Honestly its not a issue in the Souls series where quests and consequences are obtuse and no this game isnt as obtuse as say Dark Souls 1 which requires extremely specific progression, and I really dont get why it is here either. I dont want every game to be casual protecting, Capcom intentionally made it this way,dont like it? Fuck off (not you personally)…
And yes,can totally upload save to cloud for backup or to save scum if you really need to.
Yeah, except that's not how it works. That's not how all decisions play out, sometimes it's that way and sometimes not and the game doesn't even hint to you how you an effect the storyline and when. If it was better designed around player decisions and could even hint in subtle ways to the player(even during normal conversations before events happen) as to how their decisions can do and how they can effect change, then that'd be one thing. Hell, you don't even know how much someone is becoming your beloved unless you specifically go out of your way to choose one, lest the game figures, "well, he's been interacting with this shop vendor a lot so, he must of course be in love with them".

Even if it was just limited to the board and normal character quests, that'd be different too, but nope. Less handholdey you can argue for sure, but 'less gamey"? Yeah, DD is some of the most videogamey shit there is, I'm not sure how anyone can argue for more story immersiveness there, but that's a different matter I suppose.

I'm not advocating handholding, but if they are going this route, they need better design to better facilitate player agency and story effectiveness. I've beaten the game multiple times to see the various changes to the story, but on the whole, I'd much rather play BBI. I love that you can effect change, I'm just not in agreement in how it's done, and the DD team needs to do better in this aspect I feel.

Juza

So extra save slot as a DLC? hmm what games have done this before? I only recall Mankind Divided and Metal Gear Survive!

Aion002

Ngl... That's a major fuck up to carry on from the original DD. If the game also doesn't have a respec system and a unlimited option to change your character appearance (the first game has a one time only option to change the appearance), I might just wait for a sale.

FFVII Rebirth and Rise of the Ronin will make me ignore DD2.

The game seems awesome, but all these things combined, plus, apparently no 60 frames mode on consoles, makes the game totally not worth 70 usd for me.

Last edited:

Mephisto40

It doesn't really make any sense at all that this should be the case

How does allowing multiple saves take away from the game in any way?

Also no 60fps mode on PS5 ?!? that has genuinely made me not bothered about playing it now

Last edited:

Gojiira

Yeah, except that's not how it works. That's not how all decisions play out, sometimes it's that way and sometimes not and the game doesn't even hint to you how you an effect the storyline and when. If it was better designed around player decisions and could even hint in subtle ways to the player(even during normal conversations before events happen) as to how their decisions can do and how they can effect change, then that'd be one thing. Hell, you don't even know how much someone is becoming your beloved unless you specifically go out of your way to choose one, lest the game figures, "well, he's been interacting with this shop vendor a lot so, he must of course be in love with them".

Even if it was just limited to the board and normal character quests, that'd be different too, but nope. Less handholdey you can argue for sure, but 'less gamey"? Yeah, DD is some of the most videogamey shit there is, I'm not sure how anyone can argue for more story immersiveness there, but that's a different matter I suppose.

I'm not advocating handholding, but if they are going this route, they need better design to better facilitate player agency and story effectiveness. I've beaten the game multiple times to see the various changes to the story, but on the whole, I'd much rather play BBI. I love that you can effect change, I'm just not in agreement in how it's done, and the DD team needs to do better in this aspect I feel.
We just cant find a middle ground here, but I will concede that they should design choices etc in a more obvious way or at least telegraphed in a more accessible way.
I’ll give you the ‘beloved’ was the stupidest shit going though, if you didnt propose to the one you wanted getting that ugly blacksmith made sacrificing them a no brainer lol
And yes Id rather play BBI as well, it is a fantastic dungeon crawl, hope DD2 has dungeons with that kind if design.

Mephisto40

Does this game integrate with your save on the cloud from Dragons Dogma 1 in any way? Because that's the only reason I can think if as to why they would not have the option of multiple saves again

GymWolf

I fully expect a "dragon dogam 2 fucks your mom while you play" news during this week if the last days are anything to go by :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
(the first game has a one time only option to change the appearance)
That's not true, once you get to a certain point in the game you can use it an unlimited amount.
Also the game is on a loop, every time you restart you can change your appearance as well.

Danjin44

I fully expect a "dragon dogam 2 fucks your mom while you play" news during this week if the last days are anything to go by :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Dragon Dogma 2:
family-guy-your-dad.gif

Aion002

That's not true, once you get to a certain point in the game you can use it an unlimited amount.
Also the game is on a loop, every time you restart you can change your appearance as well.
Oh, I don't remember that. Nice.

But there's no respec, right?

I remember being quite annoyed for not being able to min max builds,

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
so it's dark souls. ok sure.
In Dark Souls(in PC) you can start multiple playthroughs and save them in different slots. In DD you always had one slot. If you press "New Game", all your progress will be gone forever.
Considering you can only backup saves by paying an additional fee on PS5 for some reason, i'll put this news in the "not good" category.
The moment you press "New Game" on DD on Xbox 360 it will update your save file backed up in cloud to new game.
If you start a new game there's no going back to your old character ever.

Oh, I don't remember that. Nice.

But there's no respec, right?

I remember being quite annoyed for not being able to min max builds,
There's no respec because there's nothing to respec. You don't allocate stats, you gain them naturally based on what class you were at the time of level up. It's just an extension of choices and consequences that the game emphasizes. Someone that leveled as a warrior shouldn't expect to be as good a caster as someone that switched to sorcerer as soon as they can.

Top Bottom