• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen Comes to PC This January

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
What requirements you guys think we can expect?

Maledict

It's quite heart warming to see that this thread is just full of hype for 9/18 pages for a PC port of one of my favourite RPGs of last gen.

Just general curiosity, why did Dragon's Dogma run like absolute trash? It doesn't make sense. I mean I guess expecting a solid 60fps is too much, but why couldn't it have been steady.

I'm guessing the same reason a number of big Japanese games ran like trash - Japanese developers seemed to really struggle to get to grips with the console architecture last time around .Presumably because the 360 was very similar to a PC and Japan doesn;t have a PC culture, and the PS3 was...the Ps3.

Klossen

Banned
It's quite heart warming to see that this thread is just full of hype for 9/18 pages for a PC port of one of my favourite RPGs of last gen.

Just general curiosity, why did Dragon's Dogma run like absolute trash? It doesn't make sense. I mean I guess expecting a solid 60fps is too much, but why couldn't it have been steady.

Pretty much all open-world HD games ran awful on last-gen consoles. I'm guessing with the pawn/party system and magic effects, it all became a tad bit overwhelming for 2006 hardware.

Ken

Good news but not sure if I can stomach leveling all classes to max and chest resetting for stupid stuff in that one underground dungeon again.

Maybe if there were some...nice mods for it, I'd consider picking it up.

Great news to come home to after work. I absolutely cannot wait to play this at the frame rate it deserved. Looking forward to putting another 60+ hours in.

Today was a good day.

mrsmr2

Forget frame rate and resolution mods, first one should be to stop the pawns talking about bloody wolves.

Very, very happy about this. Gave up with the PS3 version.

Ogawa-san

Good news but not sure if I can stomach leveling all classes to max and chest resetting for stupid stuff in that one underground dungeon again.

Maybe if there were some...nice mods for it, I'd consider picking it up.
I'll sit prettily and wait on the inevitable reballance mod. I love the game to death and back and I'm ready to 100% it a 3rd time, but I'm not doing the mage to 10 > wizard to 200 so I can play a non-gimped magick archer again.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

Slightly too ambitious lighting engine in conjunction with a game so filled with insane player animation movesets (the magic effects alone) you could pop off at any time as well as physics for climbing moving enemies and it was straining at the seams.

Cyrano

Forget frame rate and resolution mods, first one should be to stop the pawns talking about bloody wolves.

Very, very happy about this. Gave up with the PS3 version.
It is important that we know about the wolves. Specifically, that they hunt in packs.

gogosox82

YES! I've been begging for this for years now. Now, lets hope the port is really good and not a mess and I'll be totally happy since I'm assuming that the pc port will be about to get rid of the bad framerate and terrible looking black bars.

Baalzebup

YES YES YES!
GwdiDkR.png

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Wow, this is some fantastic news. Can't wait to get ambushed by a Chimera monster at night again! :lol

Yeeesss! Happy we won't have to wait too long either.

I was late to this game but when I finally played it right after Spring quarter, I found the gameplay to be something I needed but did not know it til I played it. Now I wanna battle huge creatures and climb all over them and slash at em a million times to bring em down. Wish more games were like DD.

BobLoblaw

Banned
I'll finally get a chance to play this. God bless my patience. Now bring on Red Dead Redemption and my life will be complete.

chaosaeon

The checkpoint save and manual save are separate, one doesn't overwrite the other.

So even if an autosave occurs you can still load up your manual save no prob.

You can save manually in this game at pretty much any time when not engaged in active combat.

Yes, but can't you only load that save by either dying on purpose, or quitting out back to the main menu and sitting through all the "checking online data --- checking pawn data----checking blah blah + loading screens" ? Doesn't the regular save/load menu only offer to load Inn/hotel autosave, checkpoint autosave, save and quit or save and don't quit ? I had a manual save file right before completing the quest where you get to make your pawn (so i could try different character looks), and when I made that pawn and continued, I wanted to change some things, so I reloaded my last manual save and it loaded after I'd made the pawn, like it autosaved over as soon as I finished that. If that's not supposed to happen then I don't know what happened there. I also encountered the "failed to load save" bug. On top of that, having one save slot with a character creator like that is completely irritating in the first place since just to mess with it you have to use a flash drive and backup your save files. And when clicking new game erases your character, who wants that.

rpg_fan

I'll probably not double dip this one since I've go many, many hours in the ps3 version already. Awesome though for those pc gamers that haven't had the opportunity to play this, it's one of my favorites.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'd rather have a sequel, personally. :p But heh, I'll probably double-dip anyway. Dragon's Dogma at 60 FPS sounds amazing.

Oh yeah, think modders could fix the game's annoying things? Like a mod that makes pawns shut the hell up*, or one that somehow bypasses the idiotic romance system? We can only hope... xD

* Don't tell me about the chair, it doesn't work, never has. They still always talk too much no matter what you do.

Oh lawdy, somebody hold me, I got a case of the vapours!

Great news, bought it on 360 for £5 and had a blast. Would play it again without black bars, and over 60fps!

Yep
This is the only good hype, hindsight positive word of mouth hype for a game people have already experienced and know to be good.

@ why it ran like shit
-open world
-day and night cycle
-lots of dynamic lightsources and shadows
-crazy spell effects + physics
-pawns able to spam additional spell effects
-areas with multiple giant bosses + all your pawns fighting at the same time

DD was way too ambitious for the ps3/xbox 360 hardware

Cleve

Oh FUCKING SHIT YES!

I'm going to go read the thread now I just had to express my excitement.

60 fps+? (please?)

I've never been someone who particularly cared about frame rate in games, but the stuttering of the ps3 version kept me away. I've always heard great things about it though so I'll be giving it a shot for sure.

FUCKING WHAT?
FUCKING.
WHAT
FUCKING
WHAT
WHAT
THIS IS ALL I'VE EVER WANTED. GODCOM. ALL IS FORGIVEN. I DON'T EVEN CARE ABOUT DD: ONLINE ANYMORE.

Top Bottom