• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen Comes to PC This January

The end is so good though!

Depends on who you are asking. The first time I went through the game I played offline because I just wanted to enjoy the narrative. At the end when the
Seneschal is revealed to be Sabin that you played in the tutorial I finally *understood* what the story was trying to say
. For some though it was incredibly cheesy and made the plot seem too far-fetched. Plus if you play online then
the Seneschal happens to just be a random online player
which may kill the immersion of the narrative for some.

Overall I cannot wait to play this again. Has CAPCOM released any details on whether or not this port has the textures, graphics, or FPS being looked at? Any room for user-mod support?

With how people hyped up the combat in this I expect nothing less than the second coming.
The hype is legit.

Idk if it was the combat alone, but I beat this game like 8 times with one char to make sure I did EVERYTHING, and I would, WILL do it all again. It's really easy to miss/mess up some sidequests btw.

Also, the "ending" to this game is so badass. I will say no more.

Depends on who you are asking. The first time I went through the game I played offline because I just wanted to enjoy the narrative. At the end when the
Seneschal is revealed to be Sabin that you played in the tutorial I finally *understood* what the story was trying to say
. For some though it was incredibly cheesy and made the plot seem too far-fetched. Plus if you play online then
the Seneschal happens to just be a random online player
which may kill the immersion of the narrative for some.

Overall I cannot wait to play this again. Has CAPCOM released any details on whether or not this port has the textures, graphics, or FPS being looked at? Any room for user-mod support?
IF YOU HAVE NOT BEATEN THIS GAME OR SEEN THE END, SERIOUSLY DO NOT CLICK THE SPOILER BELOW:

I think they mean after
you kill the dragon, and the whole world goes to shit, being cool. Not sure though. Well shit even the whole dragon part was fucking epic, so probably that part too lol.

Skilletor

As a person who gives absolutely no fucks about story in a game. literally zero fucks. Even I thought the ending of DD was really cool and well done.

Dammit, I was getting ready to finally get some sleep and pass time for Bloodborne DLC...this thread woke me all the way up and now I just wanna go downstairs and boot up Dark Arisen :/

Damn you GAF lol

Pila

This is nothing like Monster Hunter, though.

I do watched some videos and I have a general idea about the game, I know they don't play the same (I wouldn't buy a clone anyway). I guess I worded that poorly, I'm trying again: I've always been a Capcom fan and I'm excited to try out a new game from them, instead of new entries in series I'm already familiar with.

Skilletor

I do watched some videos and I have a general idea about the game, I know they don't play the same (I wouldn't buy a clone anyway). I guess I worded that poorly, I'm trying again: I've always been a Capcom fan and I'm excited to try out a new game from them, instead of new entries in series I'm already familiar with.

That's cool. :) I just see a lot of people try to compare this to a lot of games when it's not really comparable. Would hate to see anybody try the game and be disappointed because it's nothing like they thought it would be.

This feels like an expanded and 3D take on the old capcom D & D games to me, really.

Has some of the most fun classes to play in any fantasy game.

I know it's not likely, but I'd love Capcom to bring this to PS4 shortly after the PC version launches. And even better, if they enabled PC mods to be transferable to consoles that would be amazing.

But like I say, even though Capcom is leaning heavily on remasters this gen I'm not really expecting that.

Did Capcom confirm that it'll work with Workshop? I mean, without official mod tools I can't see PC mods going "official" on consoles.

Just noticed it's coming on my birthday. Thanks Capcom!

DaciaJC

Gold Member
With how people hyped up the combat in this I expect nothing less than the second coming.

If I recall correctly, you play almost exclusively mage, right? I think you'll be rather pleased with some of the more powerful spells that can be cast in this game.

So fucking close. I'm so ready for faster loading and 60fps Dragon's Dogma!

giphy.gif

Kyoufu

Haha. It's not as good as Souls games, I'm afraid. But it's still very very good, and playing a mage is arguably more fun than in Souls, so I think you'll love it.

DD combat is very different to Souls games. Not comparable. At all. Both are designed for very different styles of games so I wouldn't say one is better than the other, although purely from a "fun" perspective I'd give DD the nod easily.

Sectus

Wbacon posted this reply on steam forums some days ago when people were talking about pre-orders. So we don't have to wait much longer for more news about the PC port.
Originally posted by Davoodinator:
1: likely they are trying to do some last minute extra content and they are behind on release (usual for software companies) and its affecting their media package they want to send.

or
2: or they are just giving it low priority and have their B team on it. we'll see something 1 week before launch.

I hope its 1.

It's 3. ;-)

Since this is technically not a new new game, we'd want to keep our pre-purchase campaign and info blast concise, noteworthy, and impactful. Rest assured the game is shaping up quite nicely, and we're on track for January launch.

We'll start talking about the new PC-specific features sometime after the Thanksgiving holiday break. We'll have Capcom Unity streams, 60fps footage, and more.

As for pre-purchase bonuses (yes, plural!), we hope to launch it sometime in mid December. They're not in-game DLCs since all downloadable assets from the original console versions are baked in to the base game.

Yazzees

Debating whether it'll be worth double-dipping since I already have it on PS3. I'm usually not a stickler for 60fps-or-I-bin-the-machine but DD ran really rough and I imagine even a low/mid-tier PC would run it like a dream.

A remaster for next-gen would be cool but to me this looks more like Capcom double-dipping into the PC market to get some extra bucks outta the game rather than wanting to convince console players to buy it again.

Orayn

DD combat is hard to describe to people who haven't played it. It's got some resource management and "heavy" animations like Souls, some huge bosses like Monster Hunter, a bit of crowd fighting and slightly sticky targeting like an Arkham-style game, and over the top attacks and combos like DMC. A lot of this can also vary significantly depending on which class you play.

It's really its own thing.

Yazzees

DD combat is hard to describe to people who haven't played it. It's got some resource management and "heavy" animations like Souls, some huge bosses like Monster Hunter, a bit of crowd fighting and slightly sticky targeting like an Arkham-style game, and over the top attacks and combos like DMC. A lot of this can also vary significantly depending on which class you play.

It's really its own thing.

Yeah, the knee-jerk comparisons to Dark Souls in comment sections all across the internet are really taking their toll on my psyche.

Debating whether it'll be worth double-dipping since I already have it on PS3. I'm usually not a stickler for 60fps-or-I-bin-the-machine but DD ran really rough and I imagine even a low/mid-tier PC would run it like a dream.

A remaster for next-gen would be cool but to me this looks more like Capcom double-dipping into the PC market to get some extra bucks outta the game rather than wanting to convince console players to buy it again.

Wait a little bit. This is capcom we're talking about so I would not be surprised if they ported it to ps4.

Yazzees

Wait a little bit. This is capcom we're talking about so I would not be surprised if they ported it to ps4.

True, plus I don't see myself paying $30 in 2016 for a game I bought and played three years prior for half that price, regardless of performance. Glad it'll find an even wider audience though.

Gravijah

Whaat? The combat system is the closest to monster hunter besides the souls games.

Monster Hunter and Dragon's Dogma are nothing alike outside of the fact that they are 3D action games. Their combat flows differently, with Monster Hunter being more animation heavy than Dragon's Dogma.

There's nothing in Monster Hunter that plays anything like strider and its related classes, either.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
No official word nor rumored info on recommended specs yet?

I wonder if I'll be able to max/high most of its settings at 1080p@60fps (no AA/2x smaa at best of course) like I could all MTF games (and basically any multiplat barring Crysis 2/3) even with my old 5850 1GB (lol!).

I got DD:DA day one on the Triple and played like 30 minutes of it before shelving it forever (did the same with DSouls before the pc port+Durante and that became GOTGen with Galaxy and TLOU), it was a painful decision but the game's performance was even more painful to my sanity lol

Bonus sounds like an art book and soundtrack, ala Resident Evil HD.

Will they be tradeable in the market? If so, I'm fine with it.

It's going to be bonus crap for DD Online as they'll announce the western version a bit before the preorder goes live.

So, they're blocking Asian countries from purchasing Dark Arisen while also publishing DD Online to the west, which of course will be blocked for Asian countries as well. Even if it's not blocked, it'll not be pleasant to play DD Online with high latency. Thanks Capcom.

Yazzees

No official word nor rumored info on recommended specs yet?

I wonder if I'll be able to max/high most of its settings at 1080p@60fps (no AA of course) like I could all MTF games (and basically any multiplat barring Crysis 2/3) even with my old 5850 1GB (lol!).

You could try looking up people's performance in Dragon's Dogma Online to probably get an idea.

is this even coming out physical? or do you mean a digital artbook?
Digital artbook and digital OST, for REmaster it was added as DLC in the game tab on Steam.
Will they be tradeable in the market? If so, I'm fine with it.
Neither the art book nor the OST were tradeable.

I'm guessing OST at least since both RE4 and REmaster included them as bonuses. Can't recall if both included books too.

JimPanzer

Monster Hunter and Dragon's Dogma are nothing alike outside of the fact that they are 3D action games. Their combat flows differently, with Monster Hunter being more animation heavy than Dragon's Dogma.

There's nothing in Monster Hunter that plays anything like strider and its related classes, either.

I edited my post to make it say "feel of the combat" instead of "combat system". You really can't deny that they feel very alike although they play out differently.
It's no coincidence that a lot of people which like Monster Hunter or Souls games also like Dragons Dogma, or vice versa.

I would argue that DB in MH feels very similar to the Strider class. Especially so in Monster Hunter X.

ChouGoku

Fuck I really hope they remaster it for PS4, I'm doing my 4th playthrough, so much shit to do in this game. I don't have a pc and I doubt my laptop can run this at 30fps let alone 60.

Top Bottom