• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreams launches February 14, 2020

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Among the initial batch of first party games announced for PS4, and also one of the final ones. This game was announced in 2013.

Grinchy

Banned
Among the initial batch of first party games announced for PS4, and also one of the final ones. This game was announced in 2013.
Yep, they really took way too long. They've been building, scrapping, and re-building this thing for 6+ years.

I may just wait until the VR support actually comes out for it before pulling the trigger.

Last edited:
I dived into Early Access when I was told about the deadline, good to see the announcement shortly afterwards. While I am interested in the game creation, I am intrigued by the tools, and I can't wait for the steep learning curve.

ESPOMAN

I have the early access and I just have no idea what I am doing. The levels that people made are very cool though.

Psykodad

Banned
It is telling that we have seen kind of miracles graphics, modelling, and logic wise, but animation is still really really janky.
Yeah, and most of the better animations are either cartoony, puppet tech-demoes or rely heavily on camera-tricks (apart from the obvious remakes of iconic scenes).
It's a lot harder to pull off more sophisticated animations with realistic looking models.

*Not to shit on anyone's creations, people do awesome stuff with animations.

xrnzaaas

I'm surprised about the pricing. 40€ is a really good deal, didn't LBP games start at usual 60€?

I have the early access and I just have no idea what I am doing. The levels that people made are very cool though.
I haven't played it yet, but I can only guess it requires investing a ton of time to create something beyond a simple animation or a single scene. And of course lots of creativity. ;)

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
This was just a bad decision all around for media molecule. They're going out even worse than the drive club people.
Why?

Dreams isn't even a game.
It's a game engine that is going to continue on PS5. I honestly doubt Sony is going to expect AAA-level sales.

Ar¢tos

Making significantly less money than they spent to make the game.
A team of just 30 devs that are still living from the profits of LBP cosmetics. I think Sony can manage to keep them alive just to boast Dreams, even if the sales are low.
Very likely, what costs to keep Japan Studio running for a month is enough to keep MM running for a year.

Top Bottom