• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreams |OT| A World Of Pure Imagination

From everything I read this is an online only focused game with very short (albeit highly praised) two hour campaign.

I was very disappointed to find out you cannot download completed dreams level to your hard drive unless they're 'remixable' but even then, I'm not sure if that's just for assets.

There is no reason why shouldn't be able to download completed levels and play offline a la Mario Maker. Especially when Sony pulls the plug on their servers so often.

Due to the price I was thinking about picking it up but I'm passing for now.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
I was very disappointed to find out you cannot download completed dreams level to your hard drive unless they're 'remixable' but even then, I'm not sure if that's just for assets.

There is no reason why shouldn't be able to download completed levels and play offline a la Mario Maker. Especially when Sony pulls the plug on their servers so often.
Making a creation "remixable" is up to each individual creator/player.
It's MediaMolecule's way of giving a creator "ownership" over their work, as well as automatically crediting a creator if any of their work is being used in any way.
I think this is entirely fair, given the nature of Dreams.

Making a creation "remixable" is up to each individual creator/player.
It's MediaMolecule's way of giving a creator "ownership" over their work, as well as automatically crediting a creator if any of their work is being used in any way.
I think this is entirely fair, given the nature of Dreams.

I'm not arguing for every level/dream be editable. I think any completed level/dream should be downloadable to play offline a la Mario Maker on the Wii U.

Outside of a 2-3 hour campaign, Dreams is pretty much an online only game when it doesn't have to be.

bellome

I'm not arguing for every level/dream be editable. I think any completed level/dream should be downloadable to play offline a la Mario Maker on the Wii U.

Outside of a 2-3 hour campaign, Dreams is pretty much an online only game when it doesn't have to be.

How do you know the campaign is 2 hours long?

How do you know the campaign is 2 hours long?
https://ca.ign.com/articles/dreams-campaign-story-mode-arts-dream-hands-on-game-preview

Art’s Dream is a campaign mode of sorts, but it’s more of a promise. That feels like the easiest way to explain Media Molecule’s new 2-to-3 hour game, which is packaged with the release of its new art creation/social network marvel, Dreams.

Full version of thew game is already out for early access owners and has been confirmed. Though the impressions is that it is a really good 2-3 hour campaign.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
From everything I read this is an online only focused game with very short (albeit highly praised) two hour campaign.

Due to the price I was thinking about picking it up but I'm passing for now.

You're passing on a campaign that's a masterpiece and an endless supply of creations? I do not understand this kind of thinking.

You're passing on a campaign that's a masterpiece and an endless supply of creations? I do not understand this kind of thinking.

2-3 hour campaign
Most creations locked behind Sony's servers

Yes, I am. Last gen LBP campaign was 8+ hours and you could download complete levels on to your hard drive & play offline.

The trend this gen to unnecessarily lock content to servers where the consumers have no control is getting tiresome. Especially when Sony pulls the plug at will. The $40 disc they're selling is practically useless.

Miles708

Yes, I am. Last gen LBP campaign was 8+ hours and you could download complete levels on to your hard drive & play offline.

Is there a confirmation about this? I hoped (since projects size should be really small to download) that at least the recently played would remain offline, sort of like a browser's history.

Psykodad

Banned
2-3 hour campaign

The trend this gen to unnecessarily lock content to servers where the consumers have no control is getting tiresome. Especially when Sony pulls the plug at will. The $40 disc they're selling is practically useless.
The thing with the campaign is this:

MediaMolecule has been working on the singleplayer portion all the time, but due to the nature of Dreams, every significant update to the creation tools resulted in them having to reboot the story campaign.

They have been quite open about this. Early Access was in part meant to build a community so there will be lots and lots of content available at launch.
Besides, Dreams isn't a game in the traditional sense, it's a creation tool/engine and the story portion serves as a showcase for the possibilities of Dreams.

So while it's completely fair to not buy Dreams because you don't think it's worth your money, implying that it's a lazy anti-consumer cashgrab is insulting and shortsighted, to say the least.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
2-3 hour "masterpiece"....the hyperbole never ends with that fella :messenger_neutral:

xrnzaaas

I'm definitely picking this game up later in the year. I never played LBP games, but I'm eager to give it a shot and see how creative I am in creating games (probably will end up playing other people's insanely good creations instead ;)).

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I'm definitely picking this game up later in the year. I never played LBP games, but I'm eager to give it a shot and see how creative I am in creating games (probably will end up playing other people's insanely good creations instead ;)).

The learning curve is steeper than you think, although less steep than most tools. Your best approach is to treat Dreams like Lego and put creations together using assets from the community. :) At least to begin with. And then focus on ONE discipline to get that down before moving onto the next. If you don't, it will fracture your soul!

Last edited:

OrionNebula

The learning curve is steeper than you think, although less steep than most tools. Your best approach is to treat Dreams like Lego and put creations together using assets from the community. :) At least to begin with. And then focus on ONE discipline to get that down before moving onto the next. If you don't, it will fracture your soul!

Ugh! I really want to dive in this, but I can’t afford it, time-wise

xrnzaaas

Thanks for the warning. I have played with basic game creation tools many years ago so I suspect how difficult and time consuming it will be. I won't attempt anything until I'll be sure of having a lot of free time. :)

Psykodad

Banned
I'm happy with the changes that the Creation Update (release update) that were implemented.

When we released our gameplay demo, Project Ikelos, we ran into some major bugs that unfortunately made it into the live demo.
We worked our asses off the past week to optimise the demo for base PS4, had to dial back on so many aspects and still struggled with getting it to run stable (hence the bugs).

Luckily, MediaMolecule added Heatmaps and an Analysis mode to the editor and it id a gamechanger.
Where we thought the problem had to do with animations and logic, the more detailed info now showed it was actually the graphical cost that was causing massive framedrops.
Managed to release a hotfix to solve some major issues and improve performance.

Idc what people think about Dreams vs all the "real" tools on PC, Dreams has the potential to revolutionize console gaming.
That's probably the reason why Shuhei Yoshida has been so supportive of Dreams for all those years.

Also, a bit of shameless selfpromo, but feel free to check out our updated gameplay demo:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I'm happy with the changes that the Creation Update (release update) that were implemented.

When we released our gameplay demo, Project Ikelos, we ran into some major bugs that unfortunately made it into the live demo.
We worked our asses off the past week to optimise the demo for base PS4, had to dial back on so many aspects and still struggled with getting it to run stable (hence the bugs).

Luckily, MediaMolecule added Heatmaps and an Analysis mode to the editor and it id a gamechanger.
Where we thought the problem had to do with animations and logic, the more detailed info now showed it was actually the graphical cost that was causing massive framedrops.

Idc what people think about Dreams vs all the "real" tools on PC, Dreams has the potential to revolutionize console gaming.
That's probably the reason why Shuhei Yoshida has been so supportive of Dreams for all those years.

Also, a bit of shameless selfpromo, but feel free to check out our updated gameplay demo:

Where is that heat map?!

Miles708

That looks very nice indeed.
Can I ask you how many people are working on this project (more or less)?

Psykodad

Banned
Where is that heat map?!
When you're in the editor, go into Test Mode and then open the icon with the eye, it's there with a couple of other features.

That looks very nice indeed.
Can I ask you how many people are working on this project (more or less)?
Thanks.

Currently we have 7 active core members (from Europe, US and Canada) and KeldBjones helped us with the voice achting, as well as Mac17 who created the Main Character.

We originally started with a group of about 24 people, but a couple of people left along the way.
We're currently open to recruitment and we just had an amazing artist join the team.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
You know I'm always of the mindset that I pay developers to provide me with fun not for me to have to make my own fun (its partly why I never got on with Minecraft etc)... however this does look intriguing.

While ultimately probably not for me I'm really happy for all the creative types. It adds some much needed diversity *goes back to play my third person cinematic games*.

CJY

Banned
2-3 hours for the campaign seems exceptionally light.

I was expecting for at least 5-6 hour campaign and expected they would push for about 8-10 hours, closer to the standard for a single player experience

no matter how great the campaign is, 2-3 hours still feels remarkably underwhelming to me.
I’ll play it anyway as I was in EA, so I presume I can download the update at midnight. So I’ll withhold full judgement until I’ve played it.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
2-3 hours for the campaign seems exceptionally light.

I was expecting for at least 5-6 hour campaign and expected they would push for about 8-10 hours, closer to the standard for a single player experience

no matter how great the campaign is, 2-3 hours still feels remarkably underwhelming to me.
I’ll play it anyway as I was in EA, so I presume I can download the update at midnight. So I’ll withhold full judgement until I’ve played it.

The update's been out for a couple of days for EA owners. We got it early.

Reactions: CJY

Tripolygon

Banned
2-3 hour campaign

Any game you played stays on your HD.

Psykodad

Banned
Has this been confirmed? Dream surfing as far as I know is only and games need to be remixable in order to download them:

Games don't stay on your HDD. You can opt to save something you're working on to your HDD, so technically you can "download" a game if it's remixable.

Tripolygon

Banned
Has this been confirmed? Dream surfing as far as I know is only and games need to be remixable in order to download them:

You are talking about different things.

When you play a game, it is downloaded from the servers unto your harddrive. It remains on your harddrive.

Remixing something just means the creator marks it as re-mixable. You can't remix something even if it is on your HD unless the creator allows it.

Edit: This is what i heard Alex say on a stream.

Edit: This should be easily tested because i could just be misunderstanding what Alex said. GribbleGrunger GribbleGrunger can you try this out? Load a game close it and disconnect from the internet, then try to replay the game.

Last edited:
You are talking about different things.

When you play a game, it is downloaded from the servers unto your harddrive. It remains on your harddrive.

Remixing something just means the creator marks it as re-mixable. You can't remix something even if it is on your HD unless the creator allows it.

Edit: This is what i heard Alex say on a stream.

But can you access them offline after they're on your hard drive?

Games don't stay on your HDD. You can opt to save something you're working on to your HDD, so technically you can "download" a game if it's remixable.

This is how I understand it as well, which is the shame because what I'm reading on reddit is that most people don't make their stuff remixable.

Media Molecule should give an option to download all completed dreams & make them accessible offline without having the option to edit (permitted by the creator). This was already previously done in LBP.

RPS37

Great job. This OT is amazing. I was two seconds away from making a “where’s the hype?!” thread.

Top Bottom