• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drew Scanlon is leaving Giant Bomb

I spent an entire month binging every Metal Gear Scanlon and it was worth the price of admission. Best of luck, Drew. Done some great work for GB over the years.

Maxim726X

it's the video game industry. Do you expect these guys to stay in one place for 60 years and then cash out a pension?

They don't run that site like the rest of the industry, though.

Jeff (wisely) knew it was the personalities more than it was the coverage, in particular. Given the the fact that the bench is already thin, I figured that a mainstay would be compensated better than most in the industry on GB.

That may have nothing to do with why he decided to leave, of course. He just may want to move on.

Lucifon

Nooo, huge fan of Drew. Always find his discussions to be very level headed and love his military / vehicle insights.

GB West is losing a lot of great people recently. Hopefully they can find some strong new blood. The team is pretty small now right? Any word on new joiners?

Xeteh

Any word on Alt-F1 yet? I need my speedy race cars dammit.

I'd imagine it would be done with unless they continued it on their own time. From what it sounded like they'd show up really early to do the podcast so I can't imagine that'd be much of an option anymore unless they did it at Danny's place with his setup.

Salvadora

Sad to see Drew go.

Really offered a unique perspective on a number of different topics, not just gaming.

GB West has certainly lost its spark with Dan and now Drew leaving.

Branson

Best of luck to him, but to be honest GB seems like a dream job, and it's always weird to see people leave that place.

Damn, I'm gonna miss Drew's presence on Giant Bomb. His wit is peerless, and he was involved with some of GB's best premium series. (And I've no idea of how much he's touched behind-the-scenes as video duder. More than I can ever appreciate, I bet!) It's a definite loss for Giant Bomb.

Curious to hear what he's doing next. Duder loves travelling--I'd imagine it's related to that somehow. But whatever it is, I wish him luck.

I salute you, whitemanblinking.gif.
2727438-1188845136-25661.gif

V_Ben

Banned
He really has come into his own these last few years. Such a fun presence, and it was always a treat when he got to truly edit video and produce things with delightful comic timing.

Also he went to North Korea and that's pretty cool.

roytheone

Sad to see him go, but I wish the best of luck to him in his future endeavors!

But yeah... GB west Needs new hires ASAP. With only two true on camera personalities left they can't do a lot.

NewDust

Almost certainly won't be a CBS-hosted podcast anymore, which means it will be harder for them to grow it and secure advertising. Which is not great for the cast's future :(

Might not even be called Alt-F1 anymore.

It's already not called Alt-F1 😉

Zaph

Already said it's not for another company, he's going solo

That could still mean the TV and film world - those guys are all freelance contractors, so technically solo.

In fact, I bet that's where he's going. He's got the skills for it and I don't seem him doing a Patreon or similar.

Harlock

I always remember that PC Principal South Park video where everyone in GB feels unconfortable while Drew was smiling. This guy is cool.

Jeff (wisely) knew it was the personalities more than it was the coverage, in particular. Given the the fact that the bench is already thin, I figured that a mainstay would be compensated better than most in the industry on GB.

That may have nothing to do with why he decided to leave, of course. He just may want to move on.

That doesn't somehow exempt them from the turnover that you see in most of these kinds of positions and fields. People move on to do other things, sometimes for money, sometimes for opportunity, sometimes for themselves. It's not necessarily an indictment on the companies.

Lebneney

Banned
Hello darkness my old friend...

Real talk though, I wish him the best. Who is going to yell out the correct information about a game on Quick Looks now? :(

I hope they pick up another member/personality, because the crop is thinning out.

Funny enough, the top reason for having satisfaction in ones life is personal improvement. Not money.

So I think you're right about him wanting to just move on.

Staab

That sucks, I thought Drew was the one awesome addition to the original GB Crew.
He will be sorely missed, that's for sure...
RIP ALT+F1 :(

jwhit28

Wow that's a bummer. He is the only member where I have never felt a video would be better without him in it or he didn't fit into the discussion. That's not to hate on other members but he never seemed dismissive or uninterested.

Alternatively, so now that Drew is a meme (I'm stunned at the usage of that Drew gif from people who probably don't even know what GB is) he's gonna chase dat internet money and is too good for GB

/s

That meme money got to him.

Seriously, that's quite a shock. I thought him, Brad, Jeff and Vinny would never leave GB. Well, good luck to him. I hope the new hires don't disappoint, the West Coast team sure needs some fresh blood.

And Drew, you better finish FF6 dammit!

Sad day but wish him the best.

He is a young guy who has worked the same job for nearly 10 years. At his age I can understand wanting to branch out and take a risk.

State of GB WEST is legit concerning though.

I liked him for his movie knowledge which rivaled dans. I also like how professional he was on camera and almost never used curse words

Cartman86

Banned
I am very sad :( So far i've not been a fan of the "solo" streamers. Mainly because I just don't have the time to keep up with all of them. The group stuff just ends up being the experience I mostly prefer as well.

Top Bottom