• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drew Scanlon is leaving Giant Bomb

I'm kinda curious as to what Drew is going to do. He doesn't strike me as someone who'd go for a slightly better paying internet gamesman job.

Biplane Triathlete?
Jet Powered Spy?

sw26

Bummer, really came to enjoy Drew's unique perspective on the Bombcast and he seems like a really interesting guy.

Glad that Metal Gear Scanlon was immortalised in time before he decided to leave for pastures new however.

TheXbox

Drew will kick ass, whatever he does.

Meanwhile, I think Jeff's got his plate full with hiring. They need some personality and diversity over at the west office real bad.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Now what? WoW Chat weekly? Bad moods all around? I can't deal

They should hire those guys from Waypoint :<

Oh, how about Elyse Willems? What's she doing these days?

Maxim726X

What gives? Was under the impression that Jeff and Co are great to work with... They've lost a lot of people over the last few years.

What? No. No no nonononononononono this can't be happening NOOOOOOOOOOOO

But more seriously, Drew's my favourite person on the site. He's so good at taking pretty much any game thrown at him and giving it a fair and honest shake, and he's always such a calming presence on the site. I'm really going to miss him, but I'm sure whatever he's got planned next will be awesome and I wish him luck.

wonder what this means for the Drew/Alexis Extra Life marathon though

What gives? Was under the impression that Jeff and Co are great to work with... They've lost a lot of people over the last few years.

I think ultimately it's that people have career ambitions, and while I'm sure Giant Bomb is a fun enough place to work, it's a pretty small office and there's not necessarily a ton of higher positions to advance to. You don't necessarily have to have a shitty work environment to want to move on from a place.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

I'm sure you won't get rich working at GB :/ I can relate, but man :(

On Funhaus and probably a million times better than she would be doing on GB. Plus I don't think she fits.

What's Funhaus? Should I look into that?

kvothe

He ruled out Twitch and said he wasn't working with Danny. This is a solo venture

Hm, just listened to it. Interesting. Almost seems like he's going to be making his own "World Adventures" internet series or something.

Gaming journalism isn't exactly the highest paying job. Unless you're a manager or doing very well with freelance stuff due to connections, it's not something you'll be doing your whole life.

atomsk

Party Pooper
I swear it's always GB news that causes me to yell WHAT while scrolling through my twitter feed.

I really miss the days of Drew, Vinny and Dave. FLIGHT CLUB FOREVERRRR

Poyunch

Dude no. He was my favorite West Coast member. I don't even see a reason to following anything but the Beast Coast now. :/

Drew is one of the ones I could see leaving games completely. Probably stay in video production, but games always seemed to be more of a hobby that happened to coincide with his passion for video.

I'm betting on something outdoors-related.

Yeah this is definitely how I feel.

Xeteh

Patrick wanted to move back home to Chicago to be close to both his and his wife's family, GBEast effectively started for the same reason with Vinny. Austin got offered a job to run Waypoint so it was a huge step up for him. Its not like these people are leaving on bad terms.

Most of them have moved upwards in their careers. It's the natural progression of things. Austin left to run a site, Patrick made more of a lateral move likely due to him living in Chicago.

I mean outside of those two, who have they really lost?

Maxim726X

Gaming journalism isn't exactly the highest paying job. Unless you're a manager or doing very well with freelance stuff due to connections, it's not something you'll be doing your whole life.

But he was doing more than that, I thought?

Wasn't he also doing editing and site maintenance too?

TheXbox

What makes you think otherwise? Patrick had to move, Austin got a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to run his own site, and Drew has been with the company for eight years.

edit: a number

Krakn3Dfx

He'll be back, that meme money ain't going to last forever!

Hopefully he's doing something pretty cool, looking forward to seeing what's next for him.

Catvoca

Banned

Only 3. Austin was offered to chance to start his own gaming website at Vice (a huge leap up), Drew was at the site for 9 years, and Patrick moved to Chicago and wanted to get back into editorial.

JonCha

Genuinely gutted, though GB is going strong without Patrick and Austin so don't see why that won't continue.

He's been there for quite a few years so I can imagine at some point wanting to experience something new.

some people have aspirations greater than making funny videos of people playing video games. Don't mean that in a jerky way.

Top Bottom