• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drew Scanlon is leaving Giant Bomb

megalowho

Thanks for your service duder. Drew will continue doing cool shit wherever he goes I'm sure. Was great having him around for so long, huge part of what makes the site go.

GB West officially in a downswing though, just not enough warm bodies let alone editors and producers to make the funny on camera. It's a good excuse to refocus and reinvent the site a bit, but hopefully it doesn't drag out and hopefully they have the resources to do it right.

Guess that's the last time we'll ever see any complex military vehicle simulator content on Giant Bomb, I'm going to miss him, he was the last staff member aside from Vinny that seemed genuinely willing to give anything a fair try and not dismiss it straight away.

But he was doing more than that, I thought?

Wasn't he also doing editing and site maintenance too?
Don't know his exact job. But I imagine that those things don't really put him in the highest pay grade also. I mean, where do you really go from there in terms of career. You got to either move up in the company some time or try new stuff somewhere else.

jchap

Ōkami;230751693 said:
Or he's becoming a professional model, he could do it.

ngnmp4bgh.gif

Moppeh

Banned
:( GB West is not in a good place. Really hope they hire a couple new people that can make the podcast more exciting.

Wereroku

Guess that's the last time we'll ever see any complex military vehicle simulator content on Giant Bomb, I'm going to miss him, he was the last staff member aside from Vinny that seemed genuinely willing to give anything a fair try and not dismiss it straight away.
Or tank dating sims.

rakanishu

Banned
This is the worst :( I really like Drew and everything he has contributed to GB. Sad to see him go, but I guess he has a good reason. Good luck to him moving forward anyway, and I hope he'll come visit from time to time.

Santar

Nooo!
So sad to see him go, he was actually one of the funniest guys on the site.
Good luck on your future adventures Drew!
Surely he's going to tour the globe as an adventuring archeologist.

Fuuuuck, gonna really miss Drew. There was a time when I was much more interested in West, but East is becoming more and more appealing. Metal Gear Scanlon made me a premium member.

Loxley

I'm honestly surprised he was there for eight years. Drew obviously has a passion for traveling around the world and visiting interesting places, I always wondered if he'd eventually move on from GB to pursue that passion.

Hey, Discovery, give him his own globe-trotting documentary show.

What the hell is going on? First Gamespot losing staffs, now it's Giantbomb turn. Is CBS consolidating the two sites?
To be fair, this isn't really unique to CBS, but a thing happening worldwide in the gaming press. Times are tough.

But I don't think he was fired, he just moves on to something else I think?

Crazy. Will definitely miss him (he grew into a great personality to have on Demo Derby, podcasts, etc) - but I'm excited to see what he's got planned next. Especially if it's a solo venture.

As bummed as I am when there is a lineup change on GB, it does always seem to produce great content. Patrick's solo stuff has been fun, as well as everything at Waypoint. Splitting up between the West & East offices also produced a ton of great new stuff with Alex.

killroy87

What the hell is going on? First Gamespot losing staffs, now it's Giantbomb turn. Is CBS consolidating the two sites?

It constantly feels like the only thing CBS contributes to GB is overhead costs. I'm sure that's not true, but with the way Jeff keeps harping on "the subscriber money is what keeps this place going", it has to be being run differently than Gamespot.

Wereroku

CBS didn't fire them they just got other job opportunities. Giant bomb is already hiring 2 new positions. Their memberships mean they are revenue positive without ads.

Ah, that sucks. I will miss his subtle humor.

Wish him the best, can't say it's surprising. In terms of a career I guess production in one place can't take you all the way. Especially in SF too.

Pretty bummed, he's put in his time with giantbomb and now can move on to do what he really wants to do. I wish him the best but I don't think he'll need it.

Top Bottom