• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drew Scanlon is leaving Giant Bomb

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Foreshadowing
C5OHBL0UYAAvQ_3.jpg:large

Par Score

As I said in the GB community thread:

Godspeed Drew, you magnificent duder <3

I don't know how GBWest carries on from this. They're at least 2 people light and even fully staffed they struggled to generate content when compared to the comparatively understaffed GBEast.

The CBSi hiring process seems to take literally forever, so we could be looking at 6 months plus of relatively slim pickings.

bigmac996

Damn, it's always a punch in the gut when a Giant Bomb staff member leaves. I liked Drew a lot, he'll definitely be missed. I look forward to seeing where he ends up and best of luck to him in his (meme-related? jk) endeavors!

I'm hoping Jeff gets those new hires settled. Would be great to just have GBeast and west just merge together again...

Vinny's announcement just feels like it's right around the corner at all times. Each E3 I fully expect the "Vinny is leaving us" line when they're wrapping up the last live show, last year it was Austin.
My heart skipped a beat when Vinny first mentioned that he was leaving SF. GBeast saved us all.

kvothe

Has he said where he's going? I'm guessing Twitch because they seem to be hiring a lot of people as of late, think they're really going to start pushing their own content soon.

Maaaaan, the only GBW content I watch anymore is the stuff that Drew's in. If GBE wasn't killing it, I don't think I'd be a subscriber anymore.

Ein Bear

FUCK. Wish Drew the best, but this is really sad news. He was one of my favourite personalities on the site. Feel like the SF office is really taking a few hits recently with Dan moving as well.

Nbz

Has he said where he's going? I'm guessing Twitch because they seem to be hiring a lot of people as of late, think they're really going to start pushing their own content soon.

He ruled out Twitch and said he wasn't working with Danny. This is a solo venture

They are going to need for Dan or Vinny to move back to California.

No way to either of those. Dan hasn't even moved in to his full-time apartment yet, and Vinny is the rock that holds the Giant Beastcast together.

But I'll definitely 100% agree that they need to hire people for Giant Bomb West. I like Jeff, Brad, and Jason (mostly because he's the anime rep), but the show lost a lot of its spark to me once Dan left. Drew stepped up a lot as the #3 guy, but now that he's leaving, I don't want the Giant Bombcast to turn into the Brad and Jeff show.

kenta

Has no PEINS
We're going to be getting so much Rorie
I'm going to be listening to so much of any other podcast instead

Sorry, you might not have heard what I was saying over the sound of Rorie speaking over me, incoherently, about WoW and then laughing at his own joke. I was just saying that I'm not looking forward to this

kvothe

Vinny's announcement just feels like it's right around the corner at all times. Each E3 I fully expect the "Vinny is leaving us" line when they're wrapping up the last live show, last year it was Austin.

While I obviously don't know anything, I imagine Vinny is in a pretty comfortable spot. He just built his own house, he has two kids now and he works with some of his best friends. I don't see him leaving unless Giant Bomb itself is going under.

Fliesen

Sheesh, i wish him the best of luck - really gonna miss him, because he was the least 'geeky' of them all, and so well mannered / spoken - like, never even cursing.

We had the cynic (Jeff), the simpleton / clown (Dan) and the straight guy (Drew) - now we're down to the cynic... and Brad, who's a super swell dude, but lacks some entertaining persona.
I like Jason and Rorie, but there's a reason that i don't watch Ranking of Fighters, and it's not solely because i don't care about fighting games :/

I have no worries that they're going to find new talent, Austin was a great hire and i do believe there's plenty of people in the industry who'd really fit in really well with them.

Wishing him a lot of luck since he's a talented guy who's provided a lot to GB fans over the years, but yeah, this is a heavy loss for them.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Good luck on your future endeavors Drew, you'll be missed.

Skyzard

Banned
Man... :/

I'm still watching the first part of the bombcast when chat blew up :(

This SUCKS...

...but best of luck to him

:(

Tunoku

This is rough. Drew has been part of the site since pretty much the beginning. He was the third member of the Persona 4 Endurance Run! I wish him the best of luck.

hollomat

Banned
He will be missed. The last few giant bomb casts have been really rough with Jeff out one week and Brad out another week.

Beastcast is firing on all cylinders though.

killroy87

Drew is one of the ones I could see leaving games completely. Probably stay in video production, but games always seemed to be more of a hobby that happened to coincide with his passion for video.

I'm betting on something outdoors-related.

Giant Bomb 2018:

0ac2glp.jpg

(Alternate)

Oh one hand, that is a major bummer. But on the other hand, he needs to be able to chase his own dreams. And there's years of content he did I've yet to watch, that will always* be there. And we don't yet know what he'll make from here.

*Always in "Internet websites shut down" terms.

Good luck Drew. He was such a huge contributor both in front of and behind the camera, he will be missed. Obviously, starting in March, we will need weekly Ranking of Fighters to fill the void.

Goron2000

best junior ever
I'll miss Drew a lot. He was always willing to try new things and he really stepped up in the last few years.

Guys please don't turn this thread into a who should have left instead thing, it's genuinely gross.

Top Bottom