• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

Wow that Drummermoje was a douche. He rams you, takes off, you catch up on the second lap, pass him easily, then 20 seconds later he leaves the lobby. Hate people like that.

But were you giving them a head start on purpose? (lol)
Wasn't really paying attention to the screen,so it caught me by surprise. I was gonna quit but then decided to run just to see if I could catch up.

I considered creating a club. Instead, I joined this club today. Level 14 so a bunch of cars already unlocked...
Awesome. If there's still a spot when I fire it back up tonight I'll join.

I've been listening to some Wilco tonight and decided if I start a club I'll name it Sweet Throttle.

U2NUMB

So picked the game up for 35 bucks.. so far I am enjoying it more than I thought I would. It is a bit stale but there is something fun about it. Just starting to get the drifting down which helps.

Couple things.. how do I get my club active? Or could I get an invite to a club? I would like to start to earn something towards a club.

Second.. while looking very good I am a bit let down visually.. not sure why but the 30fps is far easier to spot here than in FH2.. BUT.. I like how different these games are and I will enjoy putting as much time into Driveclub as I did that game.

So .. overall I am glad I jumped into the game when I did.. seems smooth so far.

leng jai

So picked the game up for 35 bucks.. so far I am enjoying it more than I thought I would. It is a bit stale but there is something fun about it. Just starting to get the drifting down which helps.

Couple things.. how do I get my club active? Or could I get an invite to a club? I would like to start to earn something towards a club.

Second.. while looking very good I am a bit let down visually.. not sure why but the 30fps is far easier to spot here than in FH2.. BUT.. I like how different these games are and I will enjoy putting as much time into Driveclub as I did that game.

So .. overall I am glad I jumped into the game when I did.. seems smooth so far.

Horizon has always had the reputation of having the smoothest implementation of 30FPS around so I'm not surprised you don't find DC as good there. It's pretty close in my opinion and certainly nothing to complain about.

U2NUMB

Horizon has always had the reputation of having the smoothest implementation of 30FPS around so I'm not surprised you don't find DC as good there. It's pretty close in my opinion and certainly nothing to complain about.

Not a deal breaker.. just noticed it as I have played a ton of FH2.. again enjoying both games and VERY happy with my purchase so far :)

Making leaderboards more useful
---------------------------------------

I'd like to list some ideas on making leaderboards / accomplishments more interesting, in the hope Evolution might read it or that others will have better ideas.

- Regional leaderboards. Resogun has country leaderboards, you just nominate what country you are in settings. It just gives more people page 1 brownie points. You can still see global rankings but country is a filter.

- Monthly leaderboards. Again, expands that page 1 goodness. How about automatically we can view leaderboards by time: all time, or monthly?

- Leagues. How about taking some lessons from Hearthstone or Starcraft and having driver leagues, awarded by leaderboard times, where you can move up or down a league each month. Then you can be top of your league, and get promoted.

- revamp badges. Right now it seems like badges (you can put on custom cars) are simply a product of time spent playing the game. Better to have badges that represent current skill, like your current league, or being global or regional #1 for something at the end of a month.

- Community challenges. At the moment challenges are organic and sorted by number of participants. That's nice but how about each month there are 30 day headline challenges offered that more will try, and you'll have longer to work on, and get more cred for beating if not globally then in your club or region.

- Result curves. Right now if you finish a race with a time, and are ranked, it is hard to know how good you are vs the community because you can't see the distribution. How about summarising the leaderboards into a bell curve that buckets results by times, and then showing where you slot in.

Basically I guess for the 95% of players that are not alien drivers, getting more feedback on whether your best time on a track is actually pretty good (for you) or below par (for you). Right now an absolute global position ranking doesn't really tell you this -- unless it is really high.

Just tried the rookie cup or whatever it's called, and couldn't do jack squat. First real challenge I've had. Really enjoying the learning curve in this game.

I will predict this will be the best selling racing game of all time within 6 months.

lolno.

Initial sales are crucially important, and this sadly missed its mark. I'm not worried about it much though, people will pick it up when the Playstation Plus version is out and will help with the lifetime sales a bit.

I still believe most people who criticise the game, ESPECIALLY about the handling havent played it yet. Can't wait for the hilarious LTTP threads to pop up later.

They'll do much better with DriveClub 2, moreso now that the tech is finally reaching its potential.

dano1

A Sheep
lolno.

Initial sales are crucially important, and this sadly missed its mark. I'm not worried about it much though, people will pick it up when the Playstation Plus version is out and will help with the lifetime sales a bit.

I still believe most people who criticise the game, ESPECIALLY about the handling havent played it yet. Can't wait for the hilarious LTTP threads to pop up later.

They'll do much better with DriveClub 2, moreso now that the tech is finally reaching its potential.

Kind of forgot about the Mario Kart games. Wii version sold about 30 million copy's.
But the first real racing game(sorry Mario)was GT5 with just over 7 million sold . Driveclub sold just over 1 million in its first week! And with the free version coming out with probably 20 million PS4 sold I think it has a very good chance of passing that once people get a chance to try it out. Time will tell.

Kind of forgot about the Mario Kart games. Wii version sold about 30 million copy's.
But the first real racing game(sorry Mario)was GT5 with just over 7 million sold . Driveclub sold just over 1 million in its first week! And with the free version coming out with probably 20 million PS4 sold I think it has a very good chance of passing that once people get a chance to try it out. Time will tell.

It's be great if they sold a million in week 1 but I can't see it being true - when I started I created an account for my missus to enable me to start a club on my own, she only has 18k points and from there the lowest entry on the leaderboards is position 658398. I can't see there being many below that on the leaderboards (and if so they aren't playing the game!).
You get fame points for playing single player so the only way not to appear on the board is either to have played in the 1st week (when there were server issues) and not since or not have their ps4 hooked up to the net (there will be some like this but surely not many).

The leaderboards will also show multiple accounts and second hand sales too so could be higher than actual sales.

It's a new IP on a single platform which didn't get stellar reviews on release so it's probably unrealistic to expect huge sales but it shot back up the charts again last week and hopefully with the amount of positive word of mouth it'll have a long tail and keep on selling strongly.

Anarion07

Currently revisiting a lot of events, especially the multi-race ones since the leaderboards work for them now.

ranked 161 on Rookie Trophy, come and beat me! :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alt8aRXvR8I

I strongly recommend doing the same for the multi-race events.
Just as addictive as challenges!

and all that happens even though I have an exam on monday. I'm weak.
But this game, man.

IKizzLE

Man, loving the game.
Only have the last tournament in Tour before I have 225 stars.
Overall, game is pretty easy.
Didn't find the infamous Hennessy time trial that bad either. Got 1:16:XXX on my first try and my consecutive few tries then 1:15:w/e. Can definitely hit 1:13 if I cared enough.

One thing I really liked about tour was the fact that it felt like I didn't play the same track twice.

djjinx2

Lol insiderp.

If we say DC is at 500,000 and reaches 2 million lifetime sales, that will be great for a racing game, moreso a new IP.

With the engine now built just breaking even will be all gravy and hopefully set Evo up for a new game.

Imo Evo should add to DC for a year or 2 while working on another project.

Does completing challenge gamemodes add to the gameplay accolades. As in, if I complete a challenge race does it add up to the amoun of races Ive done in the gameplay accolade section.

Edit: it does.

viveks86

Every challenge feels like the venom hot lap. I get so obsessed with trying to break the top 10 that hours go by, retrying over and over and over. Some of these lap times are absolutely insane!

garyBig

Every challenge feels like the venom hot lap. I get so obsessed with trying to break the top 10 that hours go by, retrying over and over and over. Some of these lap times are absolutely insane!

True, if the game would for once allow me to view my statistics, I'm sure I've played more of this than I did of Skyrim. It's insane, I was never much into car games.

lewisgone

If everyone leaves my club, will it become inactive again? I don't have any real life friends in my club, and I'm worried that if everyone else decides to leave it's going to be useless again. I just want to have all the unlocks.

Weather has destroyed my Tour progression. Have I been unlucky, or does weather not appear in Tour races? Since it didn't show up, I'm just playing single events because they look so much nicer, haha.

Fenzer

If everyone leaves my club, will it become inactive again? I don't have any real life friends in my club, and I'm worried that if everyone else decides to leave it's going to be useless again. I just want to have all the unlocks.

Weather has destroyed my Tour progression. Have I been unlucky, or does weather not appear in Tour races? Since it didn't show up, I'm just playing single events because they look so much nicer, haha.

Weather is not in the actual tour events it will be included in the next DLCs

by the way, the personal stats are not working since the last update :/

Synth

I'll join your club for life if you like. I don't play this game much, so I'd been avoiding joining a club, as I didn't want to be kicked for not contributing much. But if you just want someone to ensure you always have at least 2 people, then I'm good for that at least. :p

W/e number it sold, it was definitely more than Evo and Sony anticipated, hence the collapse of the entire Driveclub network.

I don't think that's accurate. Someone else correct me if I'm wrong but it wasn't sheer numbers that borked the system. It was more of an unanticipated technical issue that they thought they had tested for but didn't do so correctly. They got caught by surprise.

CozMick

Banned
I still can't win 5 solo challenges :/

I send them, the other person places a time and then nothing, the event ends, I get nothing,

I am needing my racing game fix, is Driveclub fixed yet? I don't want to buy The Crew since that looks like trash.
Yep. I've been playing for two days and had a few issues connecting to servers after a time trial. But I think the times get uploaded later whether you can connect then or not (can someone confirm?). I have not tried MP personally.

Some asshole online just wrecked me four times. Once or twice? Okay, it happens. Four just feels like a personal vendetta.

P7M1YJF.gif

Anarion07

Ohhh yes!
Whoever Nafai is, finally got your Caterham time!
feels good

Some asshole online just wrecked me four times. Once or twice? Okay, it happens. Four just feels like a personal vendetta.

P7M1YJF.gif

Some people just don't want to give up their position no matter where it is and often wreck their own races too just trying to ensure you don't get ahead of them (or if you manage to get in front they use you instead of brakes to slow down at the next tight bend).

DBT85

I made a club challenge the other day, with my mediocre time. EU GAF have beaten my time by like 20 seconds (I'm cool with that, I'm not very good!) but on subsequent tries I can beat their first sector time by about 8/10ths quite often, until I bomb in the very next corner and lose a lot of time. Going to keep trying as I know I can get a lot closer than I am! I have 3 days off this week and I'm going to be very unproductive!

I'd like

A) to not be able to see challenges that I'm not yet high enough to enter (no car)
B) have club leagues so all the GAF clubs can be in there together and make it easier to share a challenge with one group of clubs. Points for results in challenges, points reset every couple of weeks maybe. Just like fantasy football, a club can be in lots of leagues all independently scored. So only challenges issued by clubs in the GAF league would count toward the points in that league.
C) less rubber banding against AI. I was trying to get one of the time stars on a rookie race and so was sitting still on the grid for nearly a lap before setting off to give me a clear track. Often I caught up quite early. When I start normally they are on my tail the whole time, so it's not like I'm super fast.

At Lv 11 now. Should I make a club, or join one? Anybody need a scrub driver to fill out a No. 6 slot on their team?

Just join one, some are open, some are invite. I think k I'm the only one still playing in mine. Might start one just to play with regulars. Think I'm lvl 20 but was only 12 a couple of days ago.

I will predict this will be the best selling racing game of all time within 6 months.

It will not beat the top GT games. Just hope it does enough to encourage either a) a sequel or b) continued support. Hopefully with a sequel they'll be able to use all the cars and tracks they already have to start with rather than starting from scratch.

sneaky77

anyone know why you get messages that say 8 challenges received, but then only 1 or 2 show up and then just says no challenges found?

Just got the game today--thanks photo thread-- and could someone explain clubs to me? Can I just join any one? Or should I wait... in other words, does anyone want a level 1 teammate?

CozMick

Banned
Finally reached the glorious level 50, good times.

Multiplayer still doesnt work for me :(

Get a syncing with lobby then the dreaded error screen.

danowat

Banned
So what's the dealio with the Ferrari 599XX?. not seen this in any carlists, but heard a few whispers it's an "online only" car?.

Top Bottom