• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub Pre-E3 preview event

SuperÑ

OptionN, ShiftN
So cardboard cutouts aren't in the equation for making a game look bad? Then let's throw out the AA argument with power lines in Drive Club, if you're going to say the surroundings aren't relevant.

Terrible statement on your part.

Environment, including crowd, is part of the game's visuals. If they look like garbage then they look like garbage. If you don't think that crowd looks like shit then you're absolutely full of it.

Can't really compare jaggies to cardboard crowds, so don't even try. Ones affect to general IQ and other are annoying only on replays or doing 10mph.

skyfinch

Half the frame rate, a full year later amd on a more poweful console. This game had god damn be better looking.

Chobel

Is Driveclub doing crowds? I guess I haven't even noticed any if there are.

Yeah... about the crowd

rHNyIlA.jpg

jaypah

I don't know if that pic in the other thread is actual DC crowds but if so it only reinforces my belief that devs don't prioritize crowds in racing games. Just drive past them, it's a racing game! I swear, people nitpick shit to death to put down games.

Edit: Yeah, this was the one

Yeah... about the crowd
rHNyIlA.jpg

T.O.P

Banned
Still don't know if i'll get this D1, i wanna wait to hear about microtransictions first then i'll decide

Game looks amazing anyway

Sorc3r3r

Yeah, finally i can see that this game is really a gfx monster.
Audio is great too.
Handling seem the middleground Evo was talking about from the previews.
The content seems to be there, even if i'd like the possibility to shape my own track, like Evo already did in their wrc games.

Back on the hype train :).

Oh, as for dynamic weather maybe Evo is reserving some framerate for a post-launch patch in?

SuperÑ;112988638 said:
Can't really compare jaggies to cardboard crowds, so don't even try. Ones affect to general IQ and other are annoying only on replays or doing 10mph.

Have there been other jaggies pointed out? Again, power lines.

My point is that both are part of visuals and both are horrible. You can't just pick one thing out of a whole and say it's not part of the whole, when it's part of the whole.

In short, yeah, you can compare them if they're part of the visual package.

Tekku

are you all going to spoil the rest of this thread because of what one preview from the ign guy says.

Yeah this thread is starting to look like the Gamespot comment section whenever Tom McShea writes something.

The hype is starting to go off the roof with this game. What is it that Gaf calls it... hyperbole?

Bundy

Banned
Since we have nothing else on PS4 to compare it to yet, I'd say that Driveclub's 1080p, 30 frame-per-second graphics are roughly on par with Forza Motorsport 5's 1080p/60fps looks. I'd give the slight edge to Forza when making a mental comparison
Ahahahahahahaha!
This is hilarious!

Bruticuz

Banned
IGN
''Since we have nothing else on PS4 to compare it to yet, I'd say that Driveclub's 1080p, 30 frame-per-second graphics are roughly on par with Forza Motorsport 5's 1080p/60fps looks. I'd give the slight edge to Forza when making a mental comparison, but I'd have to put them side-by-side in order to really make a call. But this isn't a console face-off; PS4 players are certainly not going to be disappointed by Driveclub's looks.''

Now i understand why he cant see the difference between 720p and 1080p.
Really that these so called journalist still have a job riddles me.
We have seen months of media with all the tech in driveclub, and this is what he says ?
And no repping about Forza its baked lightning and AA ??
No hate againts Forza, but these guys are just not believable anymore.

Flo_Evans

There doesn't seem to be a huge amount of nuance between vehicles--I would have expected the Ariel Atom to feel much more sprightly than the Ferrari F12berlinetta, for example--but that's a gut reaction that comes from a single race spent with each car.

Amazing shaders but this kind of makes me sad.

nib95

Banned
Yeah... about the crowd

rHNyIlA.jpg

What's the original source for that shot? Because the crowd looks far better in the new gameplay vids. In-fact, much of the lighting, shadows etc do.

EDIT: Just watched the new footage again, and yea, there's none of those issues with the crowd any more. They seem to be all realistically proportioned and fully geometric.

Loudninja

You'll know what to expect from the racing just by taking a look at last week's gameplay footage. Driving is fast and frantic, with the game's blistering sense of speed leading to intense rural showdowns as million dollar supercars glide through mountain ranges and trade paint across the countryside. Evolution has worked hard on improving the handling model since last year's underwhelming E3 demo and hurtling through corners is now a thrill rather than a twitchy wall-bouncing write-off. It's a little tighter than that of its closest competitors, with cars feeling slightly weightier than those in recent Codemasters titles and a little more natural than the drift-heavy motors of Need For Speed. Most importantly, racing is exciting – something last year's demo wasn't – and some of its track design is superb, delivered in a package accentuated by breakneck speed and breathtaking vistas. Heading into E3, DriveClub's the best-looking next-gen racer by a mile.
http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/driveclub/preview-3636.html

The game looks amazing, and the lightning is out of this world.

As for the IGN review- There was no reason at all to mention the words "xbox" or "Forza" in that review. When a journalist lets his personal bias affect his work then he loses all credibility. This was supposed to be an honest unbiased review.

How can he possibly be unbiased? How can any of us? He loves Forza, that's going to colour his view of every game, no matter if you think he's been ridiculous.

It is what it is, bullshit or not.

It's hardly worth getting wound up over.

AdanVC

Everyone praising it's graphics. Definitely, they are insaaaanely good. But is it fun? I'm not a big fan of realistic racing/simulator games so ya'. Looking forward for E3 to see more of this game!

Flo_Evans

Hmm why is everyone jumping on IGN when gamespot said this:

Do a side-by-side comparison of the visual detail between the cars found in Driveclub and those found in Forza 5, and it's no contest; Driveclub just doesn't stack up. But where Driveclub claims the upper hand is in the visual splendor of its many varied environments.

So...

Yoday

Everyone praising it's graphics. Definitely, they are insaaaanely good. But is it fun? I'm not a big fan of realistic racing/simulator games so ya'. Looking forward for E3 to see more of this game!
Almost every preview quote in the OP mentions how much fun the game is to play, so yeah, probably. It's not really a simulation racer though, it is more along the lines of PGR, which is somewhere between sim and arcade.

MaDKaT

Its not a sim. From previews and hands on, it sounds to be much closer to games like Project Gotham.

Game looks fantastic. How about getting us some Logitech Driver support?

Top Bottom