• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub Review Thread.

I've played FH2 at my friends and had a blast with it, the game is a lot of fun. Been playing Driveclub since yesterday (w/o online ugh) and the game is also a blast. the two games are very different. I actually think the driving physics and racing are more enjoyable in DC but FH2 has much more content to keep you busy. Something about the challenges in DC are just addicting though.

DC is definitely a quality racer undeserving of such low scores

VanWinkle

I've played FH2 at my friends and had a blast with it, the game is a lot of fun. Been playing Driveclub since yesterday (w/o online ugh) and the game is also a blast. the two games are very different. I actually think the driving physics and racing are more enjoyable in DC but FH2 has much more content to keep you busy. Something about the challenges in DC are just addicting though.

Yeah, I would agree with that.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I love how someone can post that they played for a few hours, and feel okay to rate a game.. and to say reviewers are wrong who, you know actually played the game for more than a few hours.

It's pretty clear that Driveclub will be decisive and in no way do all the reviews have a consensus of it being a "bad" game.. just not of it being a "great" game.

I love how someone can post that they played for a few hours, and feel okay to rate a game.. and to say reviewers are wrong who, you know actually played the game for more than a few hours.

It's pretty clear that Driveclub will be decisive and in no way do all the reviews have a consensus of it being a "bad" game.. just not of it being a "great" game.
Not that all reviewers do it, but I think we know by now that there are at least some reviewers out there who play a game for review for just a few hours. It does happen.

Jamesways

There is enough room in this world and genre for games like both Forza horizon and Driveclub. Not every game in the same genre needs to be a mindless clone of each other.

Oh and for those reviewers and posters who say this game should have been cancelled - fuck you, you mindless sheep.

Great post. Definitely a place for both types of games in the genre.

And here's something else I realized about DC.

Personal preference in racing games incoming, but...
Of course I would love it. Barebones and all.

Racing just now chasing times and stars I realized why.

First and foremost the feel, it's really fun to play, the driving is damn solid. PGR in the countryside for sure for me.

Second. I love the small details. Cockpit view, no OSD. Oooh, that's how this time of day and sky look reflected on the cockpit materials. Look at that, some people are lighting bonfires to keep warm and party in Norway. Pretty smoke coming from that. Damn, look at that breeze, etc.

Third, the car list. I love EU cars. This starting list is perfect for me. In Forza, Shift, GT, would always gravitate towards the EU regulars. And it's only going to get more complete with the free cars and DLC packs each month. The support model is impressive.

And lastly, tying some of the above together for the Forza 4 and 5 fans, essentially a large portion of this game is built on a Rivals mode. But, with the bonus of random or custom times of day, lighting from skyscapes, soon to be weather, and time progression. That's awesome. That right there garners a huge amount of replay value, it's incredibly addictive already, chasing your own ghost or being able to finally connect for a brief time.

I'm very happy it got released, as I said before, even missing common features to be patched in, so far it's a blast to play and it's only going to get better with time and additional content.

I think it is a great game.

There is enough room in this world and genre for games like both Forza horizon and Driveclub. Especially since they are 2 completely different types of game. The comparisons are unfounded and downright irrational. Not every game in the same genre needs to be a mindless clone of each other.
There really is enough room, and room for plenty more while we're at it.

I loved my time with Forza 5, a game that is a far bigger technical and artistic achievement than people give it credit for, but after a while running the same tracks in the same conditions does start to feel confining - yeah, even when that means classic F1 cars on the Nurburgring.

So along comes Horizon - the game that seems purposely built for everything I love about racing games - not just racing, but the driving - the getting to know the car at every level, from milling around the waterfront, to cruising down the coast, to full tilt apex nailing circuit races and in-traffic street races and hell, even kangaroo hopping over hills while classical blasts out your rain-soaked windows.

But dammit if every time I lost a race in Horizon I thought that maybe it was my tune, or my upgrades, or maybe if I didn't have to focus on the minimap I could fully commit myself to the immediacy of the race right in front of me, and maybe if that one bump in the off-road track didn't send me careening to the left instead of the right, and hey - did that AI miss a checkpoint? And why are the AI cars so perfectly grounded and stable at speed?

Then I play DriveClub. No frills indeed. Just a quick and unobtrusive menu that puts you on one of several gloriously detailed, expansive and yet linear tracks, in a matter of seconds. There you battle with the AI through every turn - it has nothing to do with tunes, or upgrades, or cheating AI or spreading your focus upon a mini-map as well as the next apex and your course through the AI cars that'll break too early - you're purely focused on the race and you know its do-able if you take the right line and if you push it just a little farther than you did last time, but the risk in that doing so just may lose the whole race for you. That's not old fashioned - that's the very heart of racing distilled into the moment to moment of it.

All of these games have their place, and they all have such wildly different offerings and strengths, we shouldn't be in a rush to crown one of them king and expect all the others to fall in line.

So far, this generation, every single racing game I've played has brought something amazing to the table, from NFS: Rivals - my surprise hit of launch - to Forza Motorsport 5 and Horizon 2 and my current addiction in DriveClub. There's plenty of room. Revel in it.

I loved my time with Forza 5, a game that is a far bigger technical and artistic achievement than people give it credit for, but after a while running the same tracks in the same conditions does start to feel confining - yeah, even when that means classic F1 cars on the Nurburgring.

So along comes Horizon - the game that seems purposely built for everything I love about racing games - not just racing, but the driving - the getting to know the car at every level, from milling around the waterfront, to cruising down the coast, to full tilt apex nailing circuit races and in-traffic street races and hell, even kangaroo hopping over hills while classical blasts out your rain-soaked windows.

But dammit if every time I lost a race in Horizon I thought that maybe it was my tune, or my upgrades, or maybe if I didn't have to focus on the minimap I could fully commit myself to the immediacy of the race right in front of me, and maybe if that one bump in the off-road track didn't send me careening to the left instead of the right, and hey - did that AI miss a checkpoint? And why are the AI cars so perfectly grounded and stable at speed?

Then I play DriveClub. No frills indeed. Just a quick and unobtrusive menu that puts you on one of several gloriously detailed, expansive and yet linear tracks, in a matter of seconds. There you battle with the AI through every turn - it has nothing to do with tunes, or upgrades, or cheating AI or spreading your focus upon a mini-map as well as the next apex and your course through the AI cars that'll break too early - you're purely focused on the race and you know its do-able if you take the right line and if you push it just a little farther than you did last time, but the risk in that doing so just may lose the whole race for you. That's not old fashioned - that's the very heart of racing distilled into the moment to moment of it.

All of these games have their place, and they all have such wildly different offerings and strengths, we shouldn't be in a rush to crown one of them king and expect all the others to fall in line.

So far, this generation, every single racing game I've played has brought something amazing to the table, from NFS: Rivals - my surprise hit of launch - to Forza Motorsport 5 and Horizon 2 and my current addiction in DriveClub. There's plenty of room. Revel in it.

Dude, this is one of the best posts I've read in a while. I didn't give Rivals a shot really, and missed Forza 5 since I only picked up an XB1 a couple weeks ago. But you captured exactly how I feel about FH2 and Driveclub. Both fantastic and yet, extremely different games. It's a shame that so many people can't see what's individually special about each of them.

Mascot

I've not played Driveclub yet but I have been following it pretty closely. Based on what I've absorbed so far, the mid-level review scores and some of the comments in this thread are quite surprising to me. Question for those people who have played it: was the vision that Matt Southern waxed lyrically about during the DC reveal at E3 2013 get followed through to the released game intact? Because that's what got my attention in the first place.

reminder

TEH-CJ

Banned
Biggest let down imo is the car engine sounds. Some of them sound like gt5 cars.

But other than that, im having a great time.

GHG

Gold Member
Biggest let down imo is the car engine sounds. Some of them sound like gt5 cars.

Disagree wholeheartedly.

Go to sound settings, turn music to 50%, sound effects to 100%, use something other than shitty tv speakers and enjoy.

cwclp.gif

I've not played Driveclub yet but I have been following it pretty closely. Based on what I've absorbed so far, the mid-level review scores and some of the comments in this thread are quite surprising to me. Question for those people who have played it: was the vision that Matt Southern waxed lyrically about during the DC reveal at E3 2013 get followed through to the released game intact? Because that's what got my attention in the first place.

reminder
Can't speak to the online, team racing, and not even the asychronous challenges since I haven't managed to connect to a live server since launch - but in terms of first person stuff, yeah, its not there.

Instead of walking around the car in first person, slowly popping that door open, sliding into the seat, strapping yourself in and hitting the ignition - its a quick series of wipes: hand opening a door - sliding into the seat - the dash lighting up. That's it.

Also not sure if the game's career events can be played in co-op. Would be a shame if not.

What it does have is the beautiful cars, amazing locations, a great sense of speed, amazing global illumination and changes to the course lighting, as well as damn solid racing. Cockpit view is also amazing, and the game is perfectly playable without any HUD elements.

Tekku

Haha exactly!

"I've played the game for a whole evening now and I can truly say that those that have played it for days are wrong"

Makes so much sense to argue this way. :D

Foshy

That's my opinion as well. Both fantastic games, I'd give the edge to Driveclub in terms of driving model, but Forza's world, content and atmosphere is great.

That's my opinion as well. Both fantastic games, I'd give the edge to Driveclub in terms of driving model, but Forza's world, content and atmosphere is great.

+1 from me as well. Most of my time in FH2 has just been spent screwing around and exploring the countryside. The races are fun, but the actual driving in DC feels more rewarding to me. Two different focuses, both great at what they do

Tekku

Wow, really? I haven't played the game myself yet, but after watching gameplay from it I was under the impression that the engine sounds really stood out quality wise. Perhaps some of the best engine sounds in a more realistic racer yet.

But maybe it's only a few cars that sound good?

GHG

Gold Member
Haha exactly!

"I've played the game for a whole evening now and I can truly say that those that have played it for days are wrong"

Makes so much sense to argue this way. :D

Actually in the case of racing and sports games 2 hours is generally enough time to tell if the game resonates well with you or not since the base game mechanics do not change whether you've played for 2 hours or 100 hours.

In these types of games is all about the "feel" of the game.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
He seemed to like Forza Horizon 2 just fine..

Im sure someone found the ridiculous stupidity of the game redeeming.. the whole its so dumb its good.

DC surely doesn't have that quality.

The Forza horizon 2 review was odd. It got 4/5 yet the review text was pretty lukewarm on the game.

Probably disn't help DC that it got reviewed right off the back of FH2 either.

drotahorror

You don't think a lot of reviewers did that for DriveClub? If you watch the Giantbomb QL, jeff is level 22. I hit 25 on release day before the afternoon came around. I'm fairly certain Jeff had his mind made up by then and probably wrote a review soon after the QL or even before it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

FH2 is a huge amount of fun, but there isn't a ton of content. Looks like it at first glance, but by he time you get to the finale you'll have done most of the collectables and covered the entire map. And that doesn't take that long - I think I'd logged around 3hrs in races and another 3 in the open world. Of course it is still enjoyable to just drive around smashing down fences afterwards.

Tekku

Actually in the case of racing and sports games 2 hours is generally enough time to tell if the game resonates well with you or not since the base game mechanics do not change whether you've played for 2 hours or 100 hours.

In these types of games is all about the "feel" of the game.

For some racing games I would say. Like simulations, which rely heavily on the on-track experience and not much else.

But DriveClub is built around some sort of campaign, social features and artificial mechanics that pop up during races. It is all part of the experience so I think it is worth taking into consideration. Especially if you are reviewing the game.

I loved driving a car in Gran Turismo 5, but everything that was built around the racing was pretty dreadful and it ultimately hurt the experience very badly. I think most people can agree with me on that.

reminder

You can look around when you are in "first person" view inside the car, but yeah they dropped the getting in the car sequence probably for quick access to races, unfortunately it might be one of the reasons why the game is viewed as "soulless".

I managed a few races with a connection, and the on-track challenges pop up fairly frequently it adds to the experience. And from what I've seen of race challenges it seems to work the same way, you set a time to beat and everyone around the world tries, if its a team challenge, then only the team mate with the best lap time is on the leaderboards.

And we have to wait for weather.

I think they accomplished what they set out to do, it just has no frills, bells or whistles which a few people are blaming on rushed development but I think is due to Evolution not doing bells and whistles.

nofi

You can look around when you are in "first person" view inside the car, but yeah they dropped the getting in the car sequence probably for quick access to races, unfortunately it might be one of the reasons why the game is viewed as "soulless".

I managed a few races with a connection, and the on-track challenges pop up fairly frequently it adds to the experience. And from what I've seen of race challenges it seems to work the same way, you set a time to beat and everyone around the world tries, if its a team challenge, then only the team mate with the best lap time is on the leaderboards.

I think they accomplished what they set out to do, it just has no frills, bells or whistles which a few people are blaming on rushed development but I think is due to Evolution not doing bells and whistles.

Getting into the car is still there, albeit much shorter than the first reveal.

Mascot

Can't speak to the online, team racing, and not even the asychronous challenges since I haven't managed to connect to a live server since launch - but in terms of first person stuff, yeah, its not there.

Instead of walking around the car in first person, slowly popping that door open, sliding into the seat, strapping yourself in and hitting the ignition - its a quick series of wipes: hand opening a door - sliding into the seat - the dash lighting up. That's it.

Also not sure if the game's career events can be played in co-op. Would be a shame if not.

What it does have is the beautiful cars, amazing locations, a great sense of speed, amazing global illumination and changes to the course lighting, as well as damn solid racing. Cockpit view is also amazing, and the game is perfectly playable without any HUD elements.

Great - good to hear. Ta!

EloKa

I can not agree with the low 70ish rating after having played 3 hours or something yesterday.

Seems that I'm out of that mainstream reviewer league because if I crash when it was my fault then I want to feel that I failed and not press a single button and try again 5 secs earlier.

Wanted a pure and trimmed straight racing game and got what I wanted. Only complain until now is that the car reset system triggers too fast imho

Phil S.

Banned
This seems like a fun purchase for when I get a PS4. I looked at the OT and the OP of that (well, after it finally loaded all of those images! haha), and I love the track locales. That's actually what gets me most excited about racing games-- the tracks and locales!

It was worrying when reading all the previews the writers talked about tech stuff and not gameplay stuff, but it seems just fine to me, judging by the majority of reviews here.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Not that all reviewers do it, but I think we know by now that there are at least some reviewers out there who play a game for review for just a few hours. It does happen.

It does, of course. Let me tell you something: I once reviewed a DS game and played it less than an hour.
After less than an hour I had completed the game 100%

For many games "a few hours" (depending on your definition of few) already ist the whole game. Probably not for Driveclub, but I wouldn't know, I haven't played the game yet.

TheAssist

Of Topic here, but its bothering me lately.
As a non native English speaker what is this?

they could of seen

Is that actual English and for some reason I just never heard it, or is it just some cool new trend in misusing grammar. I really dont know, but it sounds weird for me.

Of Topic here, but its bothering me lately.
As a non native English speaker what is this?

Is that actual English and for some reason I just never heard it, or is it just some cool new trend in misusing grammar. I really dont know, but it sounds weird for me.

it should be "they could have seen" - the mistake happens when people truncate it to "they could've seen" - which sounds like could OF seen.

ValfarHL

Goddamn what a post. Gave me goosebumps reading it, hah.

goonergaz

Well said! I hope I enjoy DC, but I think you're spot on from what I've read.

Nyx

This really is a great way to describe DC!

fresquito

I'm wondering why people say this is a simcade. What's sim about this game? Everything I've seen is an arcade through and through. I don't know why anybody would feel saying a game is an arcade is anything negative. Maybe PR talk to reach for more people?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
is there any continued point to review threads? i can't remember the last one where doubting the point of professional games reviewers wasn't a major topic of conversation.

Top Bottom