• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub weather update out NOW. laawwwwwd.gif

Sojgat

Obviously photomode given the angles.

Here's a gameplay gif.

lrktms.gif

Here's another one because why not. Lightning returns.

qngvum.gif

Both courtesy of benzy btw.

Holy shit...

I'm going to go download this patch now.

Putty

FUCK ME!!! A bolt of lighting just struck one of the metal overhead sign posts in the distance!!!!!! Sparks of light flashing!!!! Without doubt/question or ANYTHING, i've seen seen anything as good as this...nothing!

Raist

Banned
FUCK ME!!! A bolt of lighting just struck one of the metal overhead sign posts in the distance!!!!!! Sparks of light flashing!!!! Without doubt/question or ANYTHING, i've seen seen anything as good as this...nothing!

I was watching Vaga's stream earlier and I'm pretty sure I saw lightning hitting a wind turbine in the distance on Atlantic Road. Looked so good.

Here's another one because why not. Lightning returns.

qngvum.gif

Both courtesy of benzy btw.

I really like the look of the new storms etc. Unfortunately the lightning bolt itself doesn't refelct properly off the street, it's just a blob to the right and a slight blob on the left
*nitpicking

Putty

I was watching Vaga's stream earlier and I'm pretty sure I saw lightning hitting a wind turbine in the distance on Atlantic Road. Looked so good.

It's extraordinary, it truly is. The biggest thing for me though, is that the framerate is just absolutely rock solid! Not a drop anywhere! And when you see the A.I cars fucking up and crashing into each other or barriers, the sparks and carnage is litterally something i didn't think possible this gen!

Raist

Banned
We need to know which one it is. Paging Rushy.

There are usually three forms of thundersnow:

A normal thunderstorm on the leading edge of a cold front or warm front that can either form in a winter environment or one that runs into cool air and where the precipitation takes the form of snow.
A heavy synoptic snowstorm that sustains strong vertical mixing which allows for favorable conditions for lightning and thunder to occur.
A lake effect or ocean effect thunderstorm which is produced by cold air passing over relatively warm water; this effect commonly produces snow squalls over the Great Lakes.

Yeah I saw a bolt strike something and a shower of sparks went flying over a distant hill. Looked amazing. The sheer sensory overload with the weather is truly a sight to behold.

eso76

Amazing.
Not really liking the way droplets get your screen dirty even in third person, but i understand that way people using cockpit view are not at a disadvantage.

QaaQer

Nope, actually the Hennessey Venom is :) (It simply looks like a longer Lotus)

People forget the Hennessey being American. Which reminds me, if anyone wants to see what 270mph/435km/h looks like inside the cockpit of a production car, youtube 'hennessey venom cape canaveral'...really terrifying how everything is flexing and the guy looks like he is inside of a paint can shaker.

Putty

Yeah I saw a bolt strike something and a shower of sparks went flying over a distant hill. Looked amazing. The sheer sensory overload with the weather is truly a sight to behold.

It is, and add to that, again doing one of the canada PTP's, the sun started shining briefly the screen just changed to something rtuly remarkable, before the cloud cover came back. Was just that classic sun shower look. There are sssoo many events Evo could do with all of the available permutations now working.......Endless.

benzy

It's extraordinary, it truly is. The biggest thing for me though, is that the framerate is just absolutely rock solid! Not a drop anywhere! And when you see the A.I cars fucking up and crashing into each other or barriers, the sparks and carnage is litterally something i didn't think possible this gen!

Yeah, the fact that they managed to get the wet shaders, reflections, and insane particle effects running at a solid 30fps is a huge feat. The weather effects just turned this into the best looking game released on next-gen consoles so far.

Honestly i thought the graphics were good before but this weather update....WOW!!!! it is that good,so god damn beautiful!!. Well done Evolution.

QaaQer

I'm not saying there isn't passion in this game, I'm just saying there's a certain clinical flatness to it all and that I understand why some reviewers have put that forward the way that they have. Maybe it's the UI, maybe it's the 'menu / menu / menu / race / menu / menu / menu / race / menu / menu / menu / race' style of presentation. Maybe it's something far more subtle that I'm subconsciously picking up, but I'm unable to clearly express. Whatever it is though, I'm able to nod my head when I read those criticisms.

Well it isn't just about the racing, is it? If it was, there'd be no photo mode, no club customisation, no points system etc etc..

Obviously it's a title that people are especially defensive over though, probably due to a lot of the flak it got in the early days for reasons unrelated to the gameplay. Ultimately I'm just giving my opinion. There is some substance to the 'soulless' accusation, even if the chosen phrase made the criticism sound stupid.

It is stupid because it isn't defined by the reviewers, and so what are we supposed to think? The game doesn't have an immortal spirit created by God? It's arrogant and lazy.

What the game doesn't have is voice acting, DJs, festivals, women, and lots of 'gosh, you are really great' stuff. Maybe a better phrase would be 'game lacks role-playing and power fantasy elements.'

I think the fact that the player isn't the center of attention and gets no cheat modes or rpg stuff puts some people off. Most console games are power fantasies and those games that don't cater to that face an uphill battle.

EDIT: actually, the game has no cheese, not no soul. That's what the reviewers were trying to say. [nothing wrong with cheese, btw.]

Raist

Banned
Considering the weather update seemingly has no impact whatsoever on framerate, they either used so coding magic to get insane results without eating too much perf, or prior to that the game was running with a lot of steam left.

It's a shame they didn't have a panel to explain their weather system at PSX, considering the timing of the patch release.

camac002

Ok here are shots taken from straight from share function with compression etc.

I don't remember the AA being this clean before patch. I mean it's still there in places of course (fences etc) but there must be an improvement. The distant cars especially.

B4VfucICEAEim3k.jpg:orig

B4VffIhCAAANT-k.jpg:orig

B4VfP3LCIAAfOLw.jpg:orig

B4VfJbQCYAENskU.jpg:orig

WoolyNinja

Finally got all the objectives done in the original Tour last night just in time for the weather update!

The Venom Hot Lap was tough but in a good way.

Dynamic weather is just random weather basically? Or is it based on the geographic location?

Based on the location but will vary in intensity throughout the race from "none" to "heavy" and back again. You get some really great sunshowers and unique lighting moments with dynamic weather.

MrS

Banned
Can't wait to try this out after work. It looks truly incredible and you're all getting me hyped! I just hope my club didn't kick me for inactivity...

People forget the Hennessey being American. Which reminds me, if anyone wants to see what 270mph/435km/h looks like inside the cockpit of a production car, youtube 'hennessey venom cape canaveral'...really terrifying how everything is flexing and the guy looks like he is inside of a paint can shaker.

not in a bugatti : nothing flexes, not the dash nor the driver. Not at 250/260 anyway.

le-seb

Based on the location but will vary in intensity throughout the race from "none" to "heavy" and back again. You get some really great sunshowers and unique lighting moments with dynamic weather.
Just to be clear, there's a mode called "dynamic weather" in the game, and that's what Net describes here.
The advanced weather system, which has also been called "dynamic weather", will depend on location and other settings like altitude.

Top Bottom