• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub weather update out NOW. laawwwwwd.gif

kyser73

So besides the tour. What's the draw for single player?

Did you get the season pass too? There are currently two additional tour events, with 2 more coming this month, with another 2 or 4 to follow. They're all a step up from the existing tour in challenge too, I reckon.

Time trials & Challenges.

Especially the Challenges.

Dear god, the Challenges.

As has been observed, they're like videogame crack.

quick gif showing off how raindrops react to movement on your windshield
(jerky driving purely for effect, i swear)
WelldocumentedEvergreenHound.gif

So I'm pretty happy I decided to get this on Amazon today. Wow.

I don't mind the in-game music (when you actually select it), but gosh do I wish they'd provided more of it. Feels like the game has like three different versions of "HOW FAST DO YOU WANNA GO?" and little else while racing.

(I want to go very fast, DriveClub. Please stop asking)

So besides the tour. What's the draw for single player?

The Tour has a ton of events, but you can also just play single events like time trials and races to practice getting better. You will constantly get "faceoffs" against other players popping up that give you a target to beat, like an average speed through a section of the track, or a drift score around a corner.

Additionally, challenges are now live and you can spend hours trying to get a better time on one and work your way up to the top of the leaderboard.

What if I suck at racing games? Will I be frustrated? Lol

It's definitely not as arcadey as something like need for speed, so it will punish you with spinouts and the like if you take a corner too hard, accelerate too fast out of a turn etc.

But I think it's pretty accessible, if you're willing to put in a bit of time to get a feel for how it plays you should be able to enjoy it.

rich7sena

Banned
See, again, I don't get this. None of those criticisms are applicable to the actual gameplay itself, the core driving experience. You're basically saying that the 'soul' of a racing game is contained in its menus, OST and career mode. Surely the soul of a driving game is in its physics and handling, not the external presentation.

I fundamentally disagree with your assessment of the menus too, but UI presentation is really subjective - I hate frou frou bells & whistles, as UIs & menu systems are methods to get me to the thing, not the doing of the thing.

Although DriveClub is "just a racing game", I do believe it still has obligations to present itself in a desirable way. I don't believe it's any different than saying that Mario is more than a platformer and Halo is more than a FPS, these games can often be distinguished by more than their gameplay. From what I've played, DriveClub plays pretty well. I think the star of the show are actually the tracks, which boost the above average driving model feel closer to very good. I'm not saying DriveClub is a bad game, but it just unnecessarily left a lot on the table for no good reason.

We're also in a time where first part racing titles live up to a very high standard. If DriveClub were a third party title I'd give it more of a pass, but it's Sony's hold-over until GT7, and I think it could have been much better. Again, I'm not saying DriveClub is a bad game, but I can't really call it better than just okay.

Wowie wow. Even the water brushed by the windshield wipers flows dynamically. This is the most realistic game I've ever seen, and it feels finally like a sea change in graphics as we saw going from PS1 to PS2.

Minor negatives: Only negative on the water is that it seems to be a constant level – dips in the road don't seem to collect water, it's just applied as a consistently thin overlay on top of the road surface. And on the gif on the front page, the lightning starts at the ground and goes up. Maybe this is a type of lightning I've never seen, but in my experience lightning always starts in the clouds and strikes the ground. Finally, compared to the gobsmacking environment, the driver's hands seem a bit last-gen.

kyser73

What if I suck at racing games? Will I be frustrated? Lol

You'll do fine driving without much finesse up to about the Supercar level - even the Prosports cars like the M5s and other power saloons are pretty forgiving.

The hypercars, OTOH, are all absolute beasts, and you have to ride them hard but gently otherwise you'll be staring at walls a lot.

ShutterMunster

We are on the cusp of photo realism, at least in racing games. Next gen we will have hit it. This game is absolutely unreal with weather turned on.
15981404105_187f6a9c5e_o.jpg

rich7sena

Banned
We are on the cusp of photo realism, at least in racing games. Next gen we will have hit it. This game is absolutely unreal with weather turned on.

While playing, the game really does inch in on photorealism a lot more than anything I've played before. The lighting really sets it apart.

BlazeVoi

Banned
Wow. Is this what DC looks like with weather?

I think this is the most realistic game I have ever seen in my life.. Is there anything that can top this?

I ask because if there is, holy shit.

hesido

Cool!

The rain drop physics seem very good when driving (they run to the back of the car "due to wind") but in this case, at the speed depicted, they are going down. Is it maybe because cosmetic physics continue rolling when paused?

edit: I'm seeing several shots with rain drops going to the back of the car, but not this one.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Holy crap. Best rain effects ever.

Seriously, the streaks of water when the windshield wipers move across, the directions of the flow of raindrops. Incredible.

wow - you are mixing up visuals with physical sensations in an effort to throw shit at the game. For a mode that is optional, as well.

People constantly ask for more visual immersion in an F1 game. If you don't want immersion, why aren't you also asking for a top-down view?

I knew this post would come, yes clearly I just want to fling shit at this game...
Check my post history in driveclub threads I've done almost nothing but praise this game (graphics, sound, how the physics look)

I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't shit on my posts by dismissing it as bias, thanks.

I think this is the most realistic game I have ever seen in my life.. Is there anything that can top this?

It's like they jumped ahead in the generation in gaming development in only one game.

Regular game looks pretty damn good, but the game with weather effects added...it's like they busted their graphic load all over your eyes and you simply weren't ready for it. Just shocking and obscene.

For me Shadow of Mordor PC was actually the king of weather effects until now... But yes, this is on another level.

Turn on dynamic weather > Start racing in the night and then wait for light to set in = Eyegasm.

And then the sun reflections start... OMG

ShutterMunster

Next Gen? Nah, I think we'll have some truly amazing shit by the end of this gen. Remember, this is only the beginning!!

I think in order for that to happen the environments have to come closer to parity with the car detail and I don't see that happening this generation. They've pretty much nailed car exteriors in DRIVECLUB. I don't know how much better they could get. The only improvements I'd make is to overall IQ.

I think the interiors need work, specifically in terms of materials and overall clarity of the dials. They all react to light well, but the materials don't strike me as realistic as they can be. But really it's the environments holding them back.

freefornow

Gold Member

Something not quite right with that pic. I assume the car is travelling at some speed (going by the motion blur of the road). The water on paintwork is odd?

kingwingin

I don't mind the in-game music (when you actually select it), but gosh do I wish they'd provided more of it. Feels like the game has like three different versions of "HOW FAST DO YOU WANNA GO?" and little else while racing.

(I want to go very fast, DriveClub. Please stop asking)
you just blew my mind! I had no idea this game has music and I'm level 27 now haha. This game gets better and better everyday lol

spent about 5 hours playing tonight and wow is the weather beautiful

that said, i feel it's a bit hit or miss....

+ when you're in the dash or cockpit cam, it looks incredible.... the way the rain drops move on the window was probably the most impressed i've been on the ps4 so far

- when you're in the ground or third-person cam though, i don't like how the rain drops clog up the 'camera' or tv screen. i understand it's meant to represent the rain hitting the camera that is flying behind or in front of the car, but with how much rain accumulates on the screen and how the DOF makes it a bit blurry, it's really hard to see... and not in a good way

i feel like they use that effect to make the rain look heavier than it is because if you stop driving the game in third-person, there's barely any rain at all... there's almost nothing falling. it's not until you start driving fast that it clogs up the screen. again, i understand why it does that and how that emulates what would happen

but i feel like all the 'rain' is just happening on a 2D plane of the camera lens instead of actually in the 3D world around the car... because when you stop driving or go into photo mode, all the rain disappears.

still looks amazing. the game makes me jaw drop every time i play it. but i hope they change that because I find it very annoying to drive outside the cockpit during the rain so far

DOWN

Banned
Something not quite right with that pic. I assume the car is travelling at some speed (going by the motion blur of the road). The water on paintwork is odd?

At a low shutter speed and fairly low speed, the water wouldn't have enough force to spray and trail along the car rather than down to the ground, but there would still be motion blur.

Personally, I feel like Driveclub has the most "soul" out of modern
arcade
driving games. Recently, it's been all about "gimmicks" to entice the player. It almost feels like the actual racing comes secondary. What's the best about this game is that it's all about the racing. It's just you, your car, the track, and the environment. Every time you race on a track, you study it, learn its curves, adjust your driving style, push yourself to the top.

My opinion.

I knew this post would come, yes clearly I just want to fling shit at this game...
Check my post history in driveclub threads I've done almost nothing but praise this game (graphics, sound, how the physics look)

I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't shit on my posts by dismissing it as bias, thanks.
It's a handicap so third person drivers don't get an extra edge on cockpit drivers.

Yeah its annoying, but I like that they put it because pure multiplayer races is supposed to be this game's main focus anyway.

Cudder

This is only the first year of this gen. I shutter to think what racing games will look like in 6-7 years on the system.

Mortemis

Banned
Jesus fuck, this game looks like something else now.

I'm starting to crave a good racing game again, I was once hyped for dc but lost it in the delays and bad release. I think I'm close to getting it now.

pottuvoi

Banned
Looking at these again, the first one is stunning. The second one (and a couple others you posted) have rain streaks appearing in front of the window. Those don't look so great, as it looks like they put a particle generator a couple feet in front of the window. Not sure why that's in the second video, but not the first?
That is due the rain/snow entering into the cone of lights.
This is just like in real life and why one doesn't use high beam when it rains snow. (bright light reflected back from snow clutters view and lowers the overall visibility.)

DrM

Redmond's Baby
So I've been playing with the rain on for a few races in India... and is it just me or is the handling exactly the same as when the road is dry? I've tested a few cars and I honestly haven't noticed a difference between dry and wet roads yet, maybe I'm testing the wrong cars. I honestly hope this isn't just some graphical filter, that would make me sad, I was hoping for a whole new gameplay experience with the weather, not just he game to look good :-/

It is not. You are either on god level or you are driving with FWD/AWD cars. I tried Bandipur with Koenigsegg in heavy rain and I could barely drove in straight line

ricelord

welp gaf i was about to wait for the ps+ verson to drop,but after seeing all the gifs and pics, i must own this game and seeing it on sale on amazon also make it easier to decide what to do.

Top Bottom