• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub weather update out NOW. laawwwwwd.gif

viveks86

The weather isn't in any of the current tours, but they will be in future ones. I'm not sure if that includes the tour that comes out tomorrow or not.

Tomorrow? There are no new tours tomorrow. Tours are releasing later in the month (with many featuring weather). Tomorrow we get weather on the MP event browser

Respawn

Banned
They really need to get some sort of racing attire variety when in certain cars. Hypercar, long sleeves, no gloves? Cool.

Kutch 2000sl in the wet, bare hands, short sleeves? Why am I driving a proper race car like this?
Ha I was thinking the same thing.

garyBig

Now imagine that with roaring thunder, rain pelting the roof of your car and the sound of wipers toiling away ;)

#SOONY

I really hope this is true, I'm a sucker for true rainstorm-athmosphere irl and with all this visual madness, the audio part feels oddly underdeveloped.

Sweep14

It had to move the needle, game went from about 900th to currently 103rd on Amazon, so something happened.

More people that will lose their lives to challenges...just one more, I can beat then, 5 hours later, you still didn't beat then. :/

Now at 95 on Amazon bestsellers

Shaneus

I agree that they have pitched the physics model at mid-range, and yes, it does feel nice when you hit a section of corners just right, but there are issues.

1) There appears to be a layer of driving assists that you can't turn off, and they appear to be, at times, dynamic, I wonder if this is there to cover up failings in the driving model that would appear with all assists off.

2) Weight transfer isn't simulated that well, suffers from the same issue as GT, as in not having any feeling of weight transfer in the cockpit view, but having it in the other views.

3) Tyre model appears to be very basic, slip angle doesn't appear to be very realistic, I also get a very "SImbin" feeling of canned under and oversteer affects.

Smacks of PGR4 to me, which isn't a bad thing, but personally I'd prefer some more options to be able to push the driving model into sim territory.
But with options, you'd need to have different leaderboards depending on what assists are/aren't enabled. Turned ABS off? There's a leaderboard. Manual w/ clutch? Another. At least with this, you know that you have exactly the same configuration (not counting wheels/controllers) as the next person and it's pure skill that's the difference between your time and someone else's.

It's why I'm glad there's no tuning in this game. You add that, you just get people looking for the best tunes and if you don't have it, stiff shit.

The game is essentially a PGR game, I don't think there's ever been any consideration of it being something more. The handling is spot-on for what it's meant to be, and that's accessible.

Game is beautiful and just plain fun as hell to drive and race. The AI is actually competent and will actually race with you. Amazing.

Had great fun with it yesterday, first time ever playing. Can't wait to get back to it after work.

Tried a rain race and my jaw was on the floor the whole time. The roads man, the roads are ridiculous

Mabufu

Banned
Game is beautiful and just plain fun as hell to drive and race. The AI is actually competent and will actually race with you. Amazing.

Had great fun with it yesterday, first time ever playing. Can't wait to get back to it after work.

Tried a rain race and my jaw was on the floor the whole time. The roads man, the roads are ridiculous

My jaw didnt recover until 10 minutes after the race.

Happy to hear new people is enjoying the game.

OK maybe I'm being stupid but how do I make it snow? I've tried a few tracks and can only seem to set it to variations of rain.

Is it only some tracks?
mostly i've just seen it at night in Norway...

just posted a video of it like two pages back because it's almost impossible to see at night + snow lol "CANT SEE SHIT"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST_johW8wag

during the day in Norway i've only see rain so far though

Canada has that one map, Sinclair Pass or whatever, where there's a bit of snow near the road so if there was any other location other than Norway, it'd be that one I guess... I mean, Cayoosh and Lytton certianly get snow too but the maps are clearly summer maps. but that Pass track has some snow on the side hills but just like Vancouver irl it's mostly just Raincouver in the winter ;p

dreamstation

Gold Member
OK maybe I'm being stupid but how do I make it snow? I've tried a few tracks and can only seem to set it to variations of rain.

Is it only some tracks?

Definitely only some tracks - Norway especially. Much easier to see at night in your headlights as well. Seems the snow is only particle effects in the air (is that right?) - and is only water on the windscreen and ground. Would be amazing if snow built up on the track much like the water does during heavy rain.

quetz67

Banned
Definitely only some tracks - Norway especially. Much easier to see at night in your headlights as well. Seems the snow is only particle effects in the air (is that right?) - and is only water on the windscreen and ground. Would be amazing if snow built up on the track much like the water does during heavy rain.

I hoped for snow on the ground. But those particles are really bad. The snow doesn't block the sight into far distance like it should. Also strange how they emit from one point (giving me headaches) while there isn't any snow to be seen on the sides.

Many games have better snow (actually I enjoyed it more in Redline Racer 15 years ago with my Wicked 3D glasses).

I hoped for snow on the ground. But those particles are really bad. The snow doesn't block the sight into far distance like it should. Also strange how they emit from one point (giving me headaches) while there isn't any snow to be seen on the sides.

Many games have better snow (actually I enjoyed it more in Redline Racer 15 years ago with my Wicked 3D glasses).
No snow on the sides? Being able to see up the road easily?

I suggest you watch this. You can't see 5 foot in front of you and the snow is visible in your side windows.

https://mediacru.sh/l-nDwPd1PD1Q/frame

AuRoN89

Banned

the snow is everywhere, BUT if you are driving in night time, you can't easily see the snow on the back and on the side without a light source pointing it, this is noticeable only with "out of the car" camera, or while pressing the button to look back.

jiggles

Banned
It's certainly the most convincing snow effect I've ever seen in a game. The way the headlights catch the flakes and how distracting it is to see an infinite amount of white spots all flying directly towards you is perfect. First time I drove in snow in real life, those were the two stand-out observations, and this is the first time I've had a game give me the same snowflake-induced driving headache, so I was suitably impressed.

yeah it's so bad that it's nearly impossible to actually play that way

the record ladders are separated by Rain or No Rain so I am sure all the Rain records will be set at about 12pm with Light Rain because 3AM with Heavy Snow you can't see anything

at about 1 minute in that video I posted, the game looks like you're in space going into warp speed lol

nothing but pure black and white laser beams of snow

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Even on novice (whatever is the lowest AI setting) they are too damn fast in the heavy rain it's just ridiculous and a frustration - i'm like WTF sometimes and how do they see when l can't sometimes. No point trying harder AI settings as i'll end up throwing the controller at the screen.

I don't even think the AI physics take into account the wet conditions or it doesn't feel like it when i'm driving my car like i've stolen it to keep up whilst slipping and sliding everywhere.

Evo please re-tune the AI it's just ridiculous right now and ruining my experience.

psychotron

mostly i've just seen it at night in Norway...

just posted a video of it like two pages back because it's almost impossible to see at night + snow lol "CANT SEE SHIT"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST_johW8wag

during the day in Norway i've only see rain so far though

Canada has that one map, Sinclair Pass or whatever, where there's a bit of snow near the road so if there was any other location other than Norway, it'd be that one I guess... I mean, Cayoosh and Lytton certianly get snow too but the maps are clearly summer maps. but that Pass track has some snow on the side hills but just like Vancouver irl it's mostly just Raincouver in the winter ;p

That looks amazing and terrifying at the same time.

So they've fixed the AI? No more ramming into me and fucking up my score?

Yes they still do that.

You don't get penalised for getting rammed from behind anymore, also the timer for going off track is a lot more lenient too.

Not ideal but I'll take it. Will download the update and have a crack at the game tonight. Barely touched it due to the online not working at launch and the penalties but I loved the way the game handled and the single player content was addictive.

Looking forward to jumping back in.

Merun

So they've fixed the AI? No more ramming into me and fucking up my score?

The better you will get at the game, the less ramming you will get. Perhaps you might even throw the AI out for a change and laugh maniacally as you drive off from your mischief without penalty.

maxagombar1

Neo Member
The images posted in the last few days since the update have convinced me to buy the game (well done gaf). Im sure they've been waiting for this response before releasing the PS Plus version

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
If somebody wanna try Drive Club later today, just PM me. I can try if it's works well with Share play.

As much as I do like DC and think it's a good game, I can't agree that the driving model is as good as PGR.

PGR has a much better balance of arcade and sim handling. I'm not saying DC does it badly, just not as well as PGR does.

potam

Banned
pls believe

i9r668zEwsDmc.jpg

Maulik

Ok, I went in to join a club with GAF in the name and there were tons. Anyone interested in joining up with me in a new GAF club? Perhaps call it GAF Weather?

DirtyLarry

Checked out the weather real quick last night. Finally purchased the Season Pass.
This game is fucking awesome and easily the best racer I have played all year. I love the simplicity of it myself. Since my time is super limited, being able to just get to an event within 20-30 seconds of launching the game is huge. Absolutely huge. Nevermind the fact it is actually challenging to master and looks fantastic.

Top Bottom