• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS4 thumb sticks might have a problem?

Sorry but I got several worn down 360 analogue grips that disagree with you. I admit I'm not gentle when I play, but not everyone's gonna be.
Uh the default rubber thing? Thats not the controller i was posting about....the silver controller?? That comes w a transforming dpad. Itssticks are different and awesome

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
RROD did not seem to damage the brand. Why would faulty sticks?

Maybe people jumped onto the Fud xbot train (I didn't) but how bout we let the issue rest until launch?

RROD did a TON of damage to the xbox during the whole ordeal.

Apparently there is a bad batch, you as a consumer has several options. Take the controller back and get a free one, put pads on thumb sticks etc. There, problem identified and solved. Now based on your chart

Identify
Solve
Move on

You are on step 3.

Move on

We haven't identified it as an issue though and I say that as I believe it's very possible, but definitely not confirmed... that being said not many have actually accepted this as an issue whatsoever, nothing has happened yet. If this is a problem, you haven't seen the shit hit the fan yet.

shem935

Banned

We haven't identified it as an issue though and I say that as I believe it's very possible, but definitely not confirmed... that being said not many have actually accepted this as an issue whatsoever, nothing has happened yet. If this is a problem, you haven't seen the shit hit the fan yet.

Okay I am done. Enjoy hyperventilating into a paper bag for two weeks waiting on the "shit to hit the fan".

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Or it could not be a shit show and Sony deals with said issue. Even if the controller nubs are shit, you will still be able to use them for a few months while Sony gets the solution/returns in place, unlike RROD.

If this panic is how you respond to some thumbsticks being faulty I can't even imagine how you deal with actual real life problems.

Betty

Banned
If this is a problem, you haven't seen the shit hit the fan yet.

You're just fear mongering at this point.

Aside from letting Sony know about the issue, which by now they surely must be aware of, I'm really not sure what else can be done.

If more people experience similar issues they can post about it and raise awareness. Eventually, if this is a widespread problem and not just a bad batch or whatever, people will have to accept it.

In any case you seem to be a in a way too deep now and maybe you should take a break.

Miguel81

I've had the pad for over 2 weeks now and the sticks are still in great condition. I guess I'm part of the good batch team. One thing, when I shake the controller I hear the left motor rattling a bit--anyone else?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Or it could not be a shit show and Sony deals with said issue. Even if the controller nubs are shit, you will still be able to use them for a few months while Sony gets the solution/returns in place, unlike RROD.

Jeez why do we keep dragging the RROD back in... it's obviously not on the same scale, but it's the same area in that it's faulty hardware, no matter what recalls are damaging to a companies brand, how they handle can really affect the outcome.

Okay I am done. Enjoy hyperventilating into a paper bag for two weeks waiting on the "shit to hit the fan".

Lol, because that's what I've been doing in this thread.

If this panic is how you respond to some thumbsticks being faulty I can't even imagine how you deal with actual real life problems.

Again, where is this idea of panic coming from? My problem is from the lack of rational thinking in here. Again it stems from the laughing at the idea, or the "ignore" it mentality, why not discuss the issue, hear from others how their controllers are doing? Everybody has an excuse for the broken ones, why not let us discuss what we think can be a potential problem. If you want to share your view I have no problem with that, but don't try to just laugh anybody who thinks it could be a problem off.

edit-

Aside from letting Sony know about the issue, which by now they surely must be aware of, I'm really not sure what else can be done.

If more people experience similar issues they can post about it and raise awareness. Eventually, if this is a widespread problem and not just a bad batch or whatever, people will have to accept it.

In any case you seem to be a in a way too deep now and maybe you should take a break.

Look I'm just being honest, look at the uproar over this stupid COD issue, letalone a faulty piece of hardware. I've said it multiple times in this thread, but word of mouth is king, and this kind of issue is very damaging. I'm ok with it, I'll be fine, I get that, but I'm more interested as to how it pans out as a fan of the console/company.

BigDug13

I've had the pad for over 2 weeks now and the sticks are still in great condition. I guess I'm part of the good batch team. One thing, when I shake the controller I hear the left motor rattling a bit--anyone else?

I just checked mine, yeah the left motor seems to have a knocking sound when shook. I hope it's not any problem, but since I've only used the thing on my PS3 so far, no rumble yet.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I just checked mine, yeah the left motor seems to have a knocking sound when shook. I hope it's not any problem, but since I've only used the thing on my PS3 so far, no rumble yet.

To be honest I doubt it's anything. I personally believe the controller is built like a rock, but the rubber choice was a mistake.

Miguel81

I've been using mine on PC and there is no rumble feedback either. My DS3 also shook a bit and there was no problem/motor-rattling there so I'm guessing it's normal.

Betty

Banned
Look I'm just being honest, look at the uproar over this stupid COD issue, letalone a faulty piece of hardware. I've said it multiple times in this thread, but word of mouth is king, and this kind of issue is very damaging. I'm ok with it, I'll be fine, I get that, but I'm more interested as to how it pans out as a fan of the console/company.

Well that's great then, no one's going to deny how helpful you've been, you were after all one of the first few people who took this seriously rather than brushing it off and we're all grateful for that.

It's just not very helpful at this point to hear you reply to every doubter with cautious warnings of an impending 'shitstorm' should this issue potentially snowball.

I'm sure we're all interested to see how it pans out, so lets do that.

viveks86

Checked mine and I get it too. But I wonder if it's the motor. The sound goes away if i hold the touch pad down. I think it's the touchpad bumping against the base on one side when it's shook. Try gliding your finger up and down rapidly on the touchpad. It gives the same knocking sound. The sound is more pronounced when you do it on the left side versus the right side

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Well that's great then, no one's going to deny how helpful you've been, you were one of the first few people who took this seriously rather than brushing it off and we're all grateful for that.

It's just not very helpful at this point to hear you reply to every doubter with cautious warnings of an impending shitstorm should this issue potentially snowball.

I'm sure we're all interested to see how it pans out, so lets do that.

I'm not looking for any of that. First off this is a discussion board, pretty sure I'm free to discuss what I want to. Second off I can't help but get annoyed by some of the ridiculous responses, and the majority of the posts since I got started in here have been people specifically calling me out. I like to cover all bases, so why not? But talking about shit hitting the fan, is more of a "well you'll see then" at people sort of laughing this off as a non-issue... believe what you want, but if this were to be something, it would be big, just sayin.

Miguel81

To be honest I doubt it's anything. I personally believe the controller is built like a rock, but the rubber choice was a mistake.

I actually liked the DS3 sticks/rubber the way they were, but since I'm in the minority they changed it and now we get these issues.

shem935

Banned
I'm not looking for any of that. First off this is a discussion board, pretty sure I'm free to discuss what I want to. Second off I can't help but get annoyed by some of the ridiculous responses, and the majority of the posts since I got started in here have been people specifically calling me out. I like to cover all bases, so why not? But talking about shit hitting the fan, is more of a "well you'll see then" at people sort of laughing this off as a non-issue... believe what you want, but if this were to be something, it would be big, just sayin.

No.

I can confidently say that if this is a thing, it will not be big. Sony will apologize, give out free controllers and that will be that.

But alas I am done.

Betty

Banned

Fair enough, just wanted to make sure you had some perspective on things.

fallingdove

been using mine for the last 2 weeks pretty heavily. i haven't had any issues with the sticks or with the L and R buttons. i think people are just overreacting.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I actually liked the DS3 sticks/rubber the way they were, but since I'm in the minority they changed it and now we get these issues.

It's unfortunate if it's the case, because I actually really like the rubber. I don't mind the DS3 at all, but the DS4 is really grippy, very comfortable.

No.

I can confidently say that if this is a thing, it will not be big. Sony will apologize, give out free controllers and that will be that.

But alas I am done.

Agree to disagree then. Are you really done this time, seems you've said that twice.

edit- LOL wow, looking at your post history, not shocked at all to see your reaction in here. Anything negative about sony and you're all over it. edit- and again, defending sony in the mp3 issue.

editedit- LOLOL and another gem from you... I guess COD being 720p is a bigger issue to you than hardware malfunctions.

been using mine for the last 2 weeks pretty heavily. i haven't had any issues with the sticks or with the L and R buttons. i think people are just overreacting.

I only see 1 person in particular that seems to have a vested interest in telling everyone, over and over again, that his DS4 sticks are disintegrating.

twl

Banned
No.

But alas I am done.

I'm with you on this one, a few faulty controllers and some of them treated like shit from the looks of it isn't a problem for anyone but the one who have the controller. Annoying yes, bad QA, perhaps, most likely a bad batch OR something as simple as karmawhoring.

If turns out to be a widespread problem then Sony will replace the controllers without any fuzz. Would it be annoying to get a faulty stick? yes, would I be able to play my games still? Yes.
Is there a real problem with this for now? No, there isn't any real reason to spend any time over this til we get more numbers.

Launch is imminent and we will know more in a couple of days / weeks. Leave that horse alone, it has been beaten enough!

#Banderas2014

shem935

Banned
It's unfortunate if it's the case, because I actually really like the rubber. I don't mind the DS3 at all, but the DS4 is really grippy, very comfortable.

Agree to disagree then. Are you really done this time, seems you've said that twice.

edit- LOL wow, looking at your post history, not shocked at all to see your reaction in here. Anything negative about sony and you're all over it. edit- and again, defending sony in the mp3 issue.

editedit- LOLOL and another gem from you... I guess COD being 720p is a bigger issue to you than hardware malfunctions.

Way to skim the first page of my post history and cherry pick. Go to the second page and you will see me asking someone for a source when they are talking shit on xbox one.

Unlike you when I post stuff I try to be level headed. Your wanna be internet detective spiel is sad. You are not some internet warrior here, digging into some hot topic issue. You are a sad poster who will not let go of an issue that we are not sure is an issue yet. And if it is it will not be some world ending shit storm for sony. And you know what. Neither will the MP3 issue.

Your pathetic attempt at sleuthing out my true purpose in being here and calling me a sony troll is counter to everything you have said in this thread. You whined and bitched about people saying you had an xbone bias and then as soon as someone said to just calm down and wait until launch you do the exact same thing. Your actions and attitude have convinced me I need to ignore you, which I will. Shame I won't be able to see 15% of this threads posts. But I don't think I will have lost anything of value.

Way to skim the first page of my post history and cherry pick. Go to the second page and you will see me asking someone for a source when they are talking shit on xbox one.

Unlike you when I post stuff I try to be level headed. Your wanna be internet detective spiel is sad. You are not some internet warrior here, digging into some hot topic issue. You are a sad poster who will not let go of an issue that we are not sure is an issue yet. And if it is it will not be some world ending shit storm for sony. And you know what. Neither will the MP3 issue.

Your pathetic attempt at sleuthing out my true purpose in being here and calling me a sony troll is counter to everything you have said in this thread. You whined and bitched about people saying you had an xbone bias and then as soon as someone said to just calm down and wait until launch you do the exact same thing. Your actions and attitude have convinced me I need to ignore you, which I will. Shame I won't be able to see 15% of this threads posts. But I don't think I will have lost anything of value.

Bravo, sir.

I cringe when people actually type "LOLOL".

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Does Shims post mean I don't need to read the rest of the thread to find out why it's Multiple pages long?

I think you need to take a break for a while. You have more posts in this thread (by far) than anyone else. You have made yourself look like a fool with all the conspiracy theories and comparing this to RROD. People won't take you seriously if they think you're nuts. You're like the Alex Jones of neogaf.

ReRixo

Banned

this is gaf, don't expect anyone to believe anything bad about sony

Like I said, the sticks potentially have a problem. But this isn't a problem exclusive to the DS4, the same thing has happened with my 360 sticks early in the current generation. The analog nubs get worn down to the base material.

flkraven

So we are 22 pages deep. Time to start taking this thing seriously? Or is it just an over reaction?

I don't remember this ever being an issue with previous 1st party controllers.

Benedict

If the hardware is faulty, just return it to the store and demand a new one. Should be covered by the guarantee.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

Skim the first page? I'm not gonna dig through all of your posts, but what I do know is of all the xbox threads you visited you had nothing but harsh comments... the biggest being how aggressive you were trying to push the connectivity rumor as a MASSIVE mistake (which is true would have/could be horrible for MSFT), not to mention you're comments in the COD 720/1080 thread, defending sony at every turn etc.

you know what, here are a few examples anyways for fun

on connectivity issues :
"Its not a huge issue to you that you will have connectivity issues in multiplayer games for months after launch?"

"So the news that online connectivity, friend lists features such as requests, grouping and transitioning into MP games will not work for MONTHS after launch is not news?"

"The short story is that Xbox Live and the OS, especially in functions that involve XBL, are a complete fucking mess. One source says we aren’t talking weeks until it works correctly but “months.” Things like parties dropping people when moving from one thing to another. Connectivity issues. Missed invites. Friend requests not working, etc."

"I feel like people aren't reading the op. It said MONTHS before it would be fixed. Meaning broken online play for months after the console would launch. How is this not bigger than 720p?"

You were very active in this thread and so quick to believe this as a disastrous issue constantly repeating yourself and anxiously awaiting insider confirmation. So give me a break if you have one post or 2 saying "let's not start a console war". I don't really care what side anybody is on. I've admitted I'm a sony fanboy, but I can also accept when they make mistakes, and if this is an issue going forward it is a massive oversight, period.

I think you need to take a break for a while. You have more posts in this thread (by far) than anyone else. You have made yourself look like a fool with all the conspiracy theories and comparing this to RROD. People won't take you seriously if they think you're nuts. You're like the Alex Jones of neogaf.

The irony in this post... because seriously you must have me confused, maybe you should go back and find me any post in this thread where I start some sort of conspiracy? Seriously I want to see it and I'll admit I was wrong or at least explain what I meant if it was misinterperted. My activity in this thread comes from people doing just that, starting conspiracies, claiming we sandpapered our controllers or were too rough. I've proven time and time again that I take good care of my stuff and I get lambasted for the fact that I post some pictures along with other posters, that there may be some truth to this.

So we are 22 pages deep. Time to start taking this thing seriously? Or is it just an over reaction?

I don't remember this ever being an issue with previous 1st party controllers.

It's a real issue, no doubt. Sticky r1 buttons too. We just have no idea how widespread it'll be.

Mine is sticky as hell. I JUST started playing Dark Souls and *bam* after 15 minutes--it's now slanted to the right.

Yeah, that really sucks.

If my R1 is sticky on the controller that comes with my console I can return the controller by itself to ebgames for a new one if I'm still under my store warranty, right? If I can do that then I'm not terribly worried.

Miguel81

Yeah, that really sucks.

If my R1 is sticky on the controller that comes with my console I can return the controller by itself to ebgames for a new one if I'm still under my store warranty, right? If I can do that then I'm not terribly worried.

Hopefully the controllers that come with the consoles are fine. If not, this the RROD of gamepads. I think ebgames will exchange the controllers, there's no reason to have to return the whole package.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Yeah, that really sucks.

I think the manufacturers warranty requires it to be shipped out.

Doesn't matter though! Only slobs and disgusting people will have a faulty controller! Also sandpaper LOL

Dueck

Banned
Yeah, that really sucks.

I had a faulty 360 controller packed in with a console and GS just swapped it with a controller SKU and sent back the busted controller.

falconbox

Banned
Yikes. From a poster on Reddit:

Fog1dVS.jpg

deegqG9.jpg

Hubble

This is not flamebait but I remember seeing a video on the Xbox One controller on how many millions they spend on R&D for it, and how they had the controller machine/robot tested for durability, using 3D printers, and how this compared to Nintendo's approach to building the Wii:U controller in a much simpler way. Kind of makes me wonder if Sony didn't do these things.

Midas

Yikes. From a poster on Reddit:

Fog1dVS.jpg

deegqG9.jpg

Yeah, looks like this can/will happen if you play in a certain way. Not trying to defend anyone , but it probably won't happen if you don't push the sticks too hard? It's like there's a sharp edge which damage the rubber.

Top Bottom