• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DSFix 2.3 taken down after DMCA complaint [Up: Was mistake; being resolved]

Smash88

Banned
I know you're probably kidding about the last part, but Durante's a busy guy and he has to pick his battles. MGR wasn't really broken compared to some of the other games he's put work into.

Yeah it definitely isn't as broken as what he has fixed, it was just a little joke. I'm still sad I can't play @ 1440p, and have not played it in the hopes of a fix - the blur is just too much.

Someone else already fixed it. I can play it at 2560x1440 at a perfect 60 FPS.

It was!? Is there a link for this fix? I'm super excited now.

xyzls

So... Does this mean Next gen (i.e. current gen) port of Dark Souls confirmed???

I can't see any reason they would do this other than they can't release a product that's inferior to what exists.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Fucking bullshit Namco. You should be bowing and kissing Durante's feet for fixing your game for you!

57397811.jpg

Riddy

Bandai Namco OWES Durante an inconceivable amount of money. I would have never bought the PC port if it weren't for his mods. He deserves a position on their development team, not a copyright claim! Disgusting!

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
So they shit on you for trying to fix their broken fucking game? I don't even...
Pretty much. I would never ever fix a Bamco game again if I were Durante out on spite.

Arondight

I bought DS of steam because of Durante as well. Without that fix, would have avoided this game. Seems like a huge mistake that they would try do this.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
What a slap in the face. DSfix is what made DaS good on PC. Without it, it would be one of the worst PC ports of all time. It directly made them money, and they didn't have to pay for it at all.

marrec

Banned
Perhaps a misunderstanding? Know nothing Namco employee in Germany sees stuff about DSFix and files a complaint?

It seems rather off to file now, after so long.

Skux

Well this will quickly climb the "dumbest shit pulled by a developer/publisher" list for 2014. And I thought we'd had our fill for this year.

Eusis

Perhaps a misunderstanding? Know nothing Namco employee in Germany sees stuff about DSFix and files a complaint?

It seems rather off to file now, after so long.
I suspect/hope so. These companies seem to do dumb shut like this all the time.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
What a slap in the face. DSfix is what made DaS good on PC. Without it, it would be one of the worst PC ports of all time. It directly made them money, and they didn't have to pay for it at all.

No.

Let me quote myself from another thread:

LOL @ the people saying Dark Souls is the worst port of all time.

No, it's not the worst port of all time. It's not even a BAD port. It's just barebones, where they were able to get it up and running, and didn't bother putting in any graphics customization options.

Customization options are included in PC games not because they're expected as a "feature", but because of the nature of the PC as an open hardware platform. Because the N64 had the RAM pack which expanded the system's ram, some N64 games had customization options put in place, since some systems could have more RAM than others.

The fact that Dark Souls runs, and it runs more smoothly and looks better than console versions on default (or in this case, the "only," at least without durante's fix) settings, makes it a solid, or even good, port, especially given From Software's technical inexpertise and their inexperience with PCs. (To be fair, they were probably lucky that the Xbox 360 platform existed, since the XBox 360's API was designed by MS and Nvidia and is based on DirectX, most closely resembling DirectX 9.0c, which is, shock, the API required for Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition on the PC.)

If Dark Souls were the worst PC port of all time, the PC wouldn't have a "reputation" as a platform that is difficult/inconvenient to game on. There are plenty of games out there which flat out don't run on PCs because they're coded so poorly or compiled so inefficiently that they use orders of magnitude (literally!) more processing power than they should be using, or games which only run on Nvidia cards, or games which only run on ATI cards, or games where graphical effects go out of control on certain cards/brands of cards (There is an issue with the PC version of PoP: The Sands of Time on NVidia cards, where the fog in the games covers EVERYTHING, and makes the game run slowly and things are nearly impossible to see), or where the PC version's game mechanics or design are inadvetertently or purposefully altered, sometimes making the game unplayable or impossible to progress/finish, such as TMNT, which was mentioned earlier in this thread.

Unbelievable, it has to be a misunderstanding. I'm actually mad I decided to support Dark Souls release on PC now, because I did it knowing that it had been fixed by Durante.

Reallink

Smells like a PS4/Xbone "Dark Souls Remastered" collection is forthcoming. Durante eating into dem sales figures.

GaimeGuy

Some random legal guy in Germany probably saw Dark Souls Fix, assumed it illegally included or modified their program or code (or was a "fixed" crack of the game) and sent a request to have it taken down.

Grief.exe

So... Does this mean Next gen (i.e. current gen) port of Dark Souls confirmed???

I can't see any reason they would do this other than they can't release a product that's inferior to what exists.
Smells like a PS4/Xbone "Dark Souls Remastered" collection is forthcoming. Durante eating dem sales figures.

Just because the PC version exists doesn't preclude a potential market for a console version. Many console gamers refuse to acknowledge the PC or are just ignorant of the benefits.

Keep in mind Bandai is a massive, multinational company. This particular notification came from a European legal department which is likely self contained with its own management and agenda.
We can only theorize, but I would suspect this was either done in ignorance or automated to some degree. I doubt this was a premeditated action based on a larger Namco strategy.

JackelZXA

I recently finished a full playthrough of DS1 on PC and I forgot to go and put DSFix on when i started and just left it off the whole time. Did they patch the game or something? It ran pretty alright, and i had resolution changing options to mess with. (Is it super recent patch stuff for the migration to steam?)

Smells like a PS4/Xbone "Dark Souls Remastered" collection is forthcoming. Durante eating into dem sales figures.

I would LOVE a PC port of Demon's Souls. (Especially if they added in Land of the Giants content as a super-late sort of dlc-ish addition to the game. Some of that unfinished content is interesting. that zone seems like it woulda been fantastic)

collige

Banned
I recently finished a full playthrough of DS1 on PC and I forgot to go and put DSFix on when i started and just left it off the whole time. Did they patch the game or something? It ran pretty alright, and i had resolution changing options to mess with. (Is it super recent patch stuff for the migration to steam?)

You didn't have actual resolution options. All you can control is the what resolution it upscales to.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

This would seem likely but PC sales don't clash with console sales. It would be nice if the people who mandated this were fired from their job but that's just me being too salty because of this and would not wish such a harsh punishment on them if it was a mistake on their end.

What in the actual fuck! DSfix most likely contributed decently to Dark Souls sales on PC.

Scamco isn't only incompetent but also completely dumb.

JackelZXA

What in the actual fuck! DSfix most likely contributed decently to Dark Souls sales on PC.

Scamco isn't only incompetent but also completely dumb.

What probably happened: German legal branch just googled dark souls and sent c&d to anything he could find, so that he met his minimum monthly quota of work so that he didn't get fired. had no idea what he was clicking on.

Japanese Branch: Has no idea what DSFix is, probably doesn't know that there's a German Legal Branch either.

Western Branch: Probably doesn't actually exist. likely just some spinning records in a closet somewhere.

Big thing: Communication between worldwide branches of a large company between language barriers is basically impossible and no one knows or cares what anyone else is doing as long as there isn't a panic alarm going off.

Occam

Some random legal guy in Germany probably saw Dark Souls Fix, assumed it illegally included or modified their program or code (or was a "fixed" crack of the game) and sent a request to have it taken down.

This is probably exactly what happened.

GaimeGuy

What probably happened: German legal branch just googled dark souls and sent c&d to anything he could find, so that he met his minimum monthly quota of work so that he didn't get fired. had no idea what he was clicking on.

Japanese Branch: Has no idea what DSFix is, probably doesn't know that there's a German Legal Branch either.

Western Branch: Probably doesn't actually exist. likely just some spinning records in a closet somewhere.

Big thing: Communication between worldwide branches of a large company between language barriers is basically impossible and no one knows or cares what anyone else is doing as long as there isn't a panic alarm going off.

Welcome to corporate. (Clearly the strong form of the efficient market hypothesis is true)

But DSFix improved PC Dark Souls limited graphical choices so it can run and look better encouraging people to play it even more.

What the hell is this?!

Top Bottom