• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dual Shock 4 lightbar can't be turned off

iceatcs

oAUB9ee.gif

lol so true.

I think I could get used to this. I can see my windows all the time on my TV reflection.

shandy706

I'll just put some tape over it.

Then again I doubt it bothers me unless some crazy developer goes way overboard with flashing lights.

Impossible...if it were possible one could do this with the Kinect also. You crazy person you.

(I doubt it drains much battery)

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
lol so true.

I think I could get used to this. I can see my windows all the time on my TV reflection.
There are various things you or Sony can do.

You could tape that shit up.
Sony could dim it automatically based on the ToD, like they do with the XMB on PS3 already.
They could patch in the option to dim it to 10% so you need to look at the light directly to see what your player indicator is.

I just think this is an amusing complaint. Not to take away that it sucks for the people that use Plasmas but I still think this is one of the funniest things, because all you need is some duct tape to fix it forever. :-D

Not that you should have to do that, but I'm just pragmatic like that. Better than waiting for 3 years for a firmware update.

Yazuka

Well it a bit of a shame, but not a problem. Even if I am slightly bothered by light stuff...
But they might release firmware in the future, that will enable you to turn it off?

read this on VG247 this morning... and I´m sad... I play at night in my bedroom, fuck me .. my wife is going to kill me if I´m playing with a freaking flashlight on at night..

...you have a TV on, and your main concern is an LED diffuse light on a controller?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
There had to be downside didn't they?

Im not particularly bothered by this but there is no doubt this is fucking stupid design decision by Sony. No, putting black tape on your £50 controller is not a "solution".

This needs to be fixed.

madcatz exclusive PS4 'catz flap'. Clips onto your DS4 and has a handy flip down cover to mask that pesky LED light. Only $19.99

j-wood

Do you guys think this LED is going to be a freakin flashlight or something? I'm bet it's not even that bright.

Does anyone actually really care about this? Is this really a big deal? My first reaction to this news was, "So fucking what?"
I find the reflection of the Move glowing sphere annoying occasionally. The reason why it hasn't been such a big deal is because a) there's barely any good Move games so I rarely use it, and b) when I do, it's usually something bright and flashy, like Sports Champions, so it's no bother.

But in a scenario where the screen is dark and you're trying to enjoy an atmospheric single-player game, suddenly that reflection seems far more apparent. So if that is going to be a constant light during all PS4 games, rather than just Move ones, that could be an issue.

Hopefully it can be dimmed to the point where it's not a problem.

turnbuckle

...you have a TV on, and your main concern is an LED diffuse light on a controller?

The complaint is legit, but this is pretty funny :p

Nobody should have to put duct tape over to fix this. Other controllers have lights on them, but nothing as big or bright as the PS4 controller.

But if you're playing in bed and don't want to use duct tape and sony doesn't fix this, hold your controller under the covers.

Rashid

Banned
Non issue, you gaffers are blowing this way out of proportion. You can cover it up, it's an led so power consumption will be low. Bloody hell.

meh..
i already spend a considerably amount of money for electricity (3 person 130 eur for 3 moths) so really who cares..
a bit more, a bit less, it won't really change that much for me :X

TheGamer

People are really digging deep to say something negative about the PS4.

I agree. I haven't seen how bright the light is, but you could always cover it up. Also, we don't know for sure how long a PS4 controller's battery can last. I think two or three LEDs are not going to drastically decrease the battery life of the Dualshock 4. People just want to say something bad about the PS4.

DBT85

well I sent a #DS4noLightbar tweet at Yosp, Boyes, Rhode and Rushy (just because I had space for the last one lol)

HazardBob

Neo Member
Only makes sense. Its used to indicate the number of the controller.

It all depends on the brightness. A lot of current tech devices are way too bright in the darkness but we'll see. It does appear to be muted somewhat, but well see.

freefornow

Gold Member
Well, at least that blu glow will add atmosphere to any games with dark, scary scenes. Should look like christmas with four players in the room.

Dunlop

Weird timing, but I was at a buddy's BBQ this weekend and when were were outside the kids were playing some Move games inside .

As it got dark outside that damn light was distracting as hell as it was moving around, non gamers that were there kept asking what it was lol

people just don´t get that some people have an issue with stuff like this. Don´t blame it on human nature, blame yourself for not understanding other people might have a problem with this..

No, I'm blaming people who will always find an issue with something. In my opinion, people look for perfection or they expect perfection. Given that there will always be something to pick on.

I can understand it may cause a reflection on some TV's but in the big picture, it's trivial matter. I just think people are making a bigger deal about it then it really is.

Ushae

Banned
if the light cannot be turned off this is a huge issue for us that game in dim rooms-

last thing I want to see on my 60 in. set is a damn reflection, why I build a gaming room like bunker (no windows)

I game alot in a dim room as well :( I'm hoping this is fixed through an update? Or it just sin't that big of an issue.

I own a plasma, and Im kinda worried...
Dont understand why it must be turned on all the time. I mean, the lightbar was made to work with the PS camera no? And afaik the camera is optional???

Also a plasma owner this worries me a bit, what with the glass covering the display panel. Oh well I hope they can turn this off with a button/software update, surely this can't be a big deal right? So strange that Sony could have missed this.

Well, going by the NeoGAF logic that emerged in the 'No HUDless option' thread, I would say: 'It's your tv manufacturer's fault if it's reflective, not Sony's'.

No, I'm blaming people who will always find an issue with something. In my opinion, people look for perfection or they expect perfection. Given that there will always be something to pick on.

I can understand it may cause a reflection on some TV's but in the big picture, it's trivial matter. I just think people are making a bigger deal about it then it really is.
Opinions, how do they work?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The cameraman is also viewing at a different angle than the player. From the player's perspective the reflection (if any) is most likely right where the bright portion of the screen is.

I can't believe we're having to break it down like this lol

If the kinect 2 emitted this glow, gaf would be in melt down.

If it emitted a light to my face then I would cover it up. There's a big difference between a light facing you and against your eyes directly.

So Kinect or Xbone has nothing to do with this.

Top Bottom