• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dual Shock 4 lightbar can't be turned off

read this on VG247 this morning... and I´m sad... I play at night in my bedroom, fuck me .. my wife is going to kill me if I´m playing with a freaking flashlight on at night..

Use electrical tape. It completely blocks light and leaves no residue. I am very light sensitive at night and cover many of my electronics' LEDs with electrical tape, including my PS3 red beacon of light that's always on for no reason.

Sendou

No, I'm blaming people who will always find an issue with something. In my opinion, people look for perfection or they expect perfection. Given that there will always be something to pick on.

I can understand it may cause a reflection on some TV's but in the big picture, it's trivial matter. I just think people are making a bigger deal about it then it really is.

You know what's a trivial matter? For Sony to fix this.

paskowitz

300px-Duct-tape.jpg

Should have been first post.

Twinduct

Didn't think about this.
Then again I also didn't take the whole 'Use it in the game' as something serious ... guess I should.

Hopefully if people make a big stink about it we can get a way to shut it down, although don't think it'll personally annoy me, doubt I'll notice it unless I create the perfect conditions.

Durante

Then how would you be able to tell who's controller is who's?
By figuring it out within 2 seconds of trying it out? By knowing which one you connected first? By going into the menu for 1 second in the worst case?

Seriously, that's a silly excuse for not having the option.

I suppose if I need something to complain about regarding the PS4 this'll due. That and I wish it was more powerful.

Seems silly to not have the option to turn it off though.

Castef

Banned
Non issue, you gaffers are blowing this way out of proportion. You can cover it up, it's an led so power consumption will be low. Bloody hell.

Yep, not a big issue.

Yet, I still think they initially planned to sell the console bundled with the camera.

Like this the led will be useless, few developers will even consider it.

Sixaxis docet.

Takuya

Banned
By figuring it out within 2 seconds of trying it out? By knowing which one you connected first? By going into the menu for 1 second in the worst case?

It actually isn't. You're going to swap to the menu 7 times if you have 7 players?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Well, at least that blu glow will add atmosphere to any games with dark, scary scenes. Should look like christmas with four players in the room.

All you do is troll Sony threads. It isn't even some hidden thing. You find a way to be passive aggressive with your posts in many Sony related threads. I didn't even have to look up your post history, I've noticed some of your posts but this trend needs to stop with you.

Then you bring up the whole "If this was Kinect, GAF would be all over it" excuse.

Come on now.

Yep, would be nice.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Cant it be disturbing having a blue light dimming out from the controller constantly?
Blue is alright, now imagine you're Terence Hill in the movie Super Fuzz and the controller is emitting red light.

No 360 no-scope headshots.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I don't actually see how the colours are a good way to see who's which player anyway. Will players be represented on-screen by colours or will there be a list on the screen of which colour is which player #? Neither seems exactly ideal.

They should really have just stuck to a regular # indicator as on PS3/360.

panda21

read this on VG247 this morning... and I´m sad... I play at night in my bedroom, fuck me .. my wife is going to kill me if I´m playing with a freaking flashlight on at night..

um isn't there light coming from the screen too? surely this isn't going to be brighter than that.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I don't actually see how the colours are a good way to see who's which player anyway. Will players be represented on-screen by colours or will there be a list on the screen of which colour is which player #? Neither seems exactly ideal.

360 maybe. But the way which controller you're currently holding is very badly represented on the PS3.

(Assuming we're in a dark environment where all this hypothetical hilarity takes place.)

Seems like an odd design choice. I wonder if it's a design choice left over from when the PSEYE was rumoured to be bundled with the console.

GodofWine

This will be the 'clock' of the PS4.

Also, who f-ing cares...the thing dims, chances are they thought this out.

Battery life...chances are they thought this out (and you can charge while ps4 is off now too)

...meh...gaf gonna gaf.

It can do lots of colours, I think it chooses them though. Yellow Purple and Blue look the best imo.

Just trying to find the picture with them all. I know I saw Blue, Purple, Red, Blue and Yellow.

heh, pretty cool. Too bad they'll be under black tape on my DS4.

It's actually a shame, kind of shitty solution, a piece of tape on the nicely engineered DS4.

DBT85

In Fifa they always use colours. It directly represents which player you are controlling since you are all on the same screen.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
360 maybe. But the way which controller you're currently holding is very badly represented on the PS3.

(Assuming we're in a dark environment where all this hypothetical hilarity takes place.)

I've never had any difficulty figuring out which controller is which but then again I've also never played my PS3 in pitch blackness.

Crisco

Banned
Not being able to turn it off yourself and never turning off are two different things. The light on the Move controller turns off when its not in use, like in the XMB for example. This will be no different.

jts

...hate me...
Kinect includes an IR camera, PS4 Eye does not.
Most camera sensors, including the one on your cellphone, or, vital to its operations, the camera on each Wii Remote, can pick up IR signals.

Not to be confused with an IR camera, as in, a camera with IR emitting capabilities so it can capture images in the darkness.

Top Bottom