• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DualSense is Now Highest Liked Gaming Tweet Ever

CJY

Banned
to be fair the xone pad was superior in almost all the aspects compared to ds4, they don't need to change that much compared to sony and if the "massive" use of the touchpad on ds4 from devs during this gen is anything to go by, it's not really a revolution feature on ds5 neither, same for the haptic triggers already present in xone pad if i remember well.

Yep, the Xbone pad is more comfortable than DS4. The materials and hows it conforms in the hands feels better and more refined. I've had very limited time with it though, so can't speak to long-term usage. I still love DS4 anyway.

I think XBone has rumble triggers if I'm not mistaken, I don't think they adjust their force? I'm not sure.

I always thought haptics was the future, for a almost a couple of decades now, but I have yet to experience unbelievably good haptics except in modern Macbooks where the trackpad actually feels like it clicks. It's kinda mad how good it is.

I hear some VR controllers like Vive have great haptics as well, but I haven't tried those either.

I think getting haptics into the hands of 100s of millions of people next gen is going to be huge as long as the engines they use a sufficiently powerful. We'll see.

B_Boss

giphy.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist ;p

I think we can say with confidence that there are now between 3-4 million reasons that train is well on its way with no end in sight 🍻.

I really hope the discord group isn't triggered by this. We really don't need FUD about the controller being spread around.

Anyways congratulations are in order. It's quite an achievement to achieve so many likes this quickly. But I'm not surprised because the PlayStation brand is extremely popular and many people are looking forward to getting their hands on the PS5.

GymWolf

Yep, the Xbone pad is more comfortable than DS4. The materials and hows it conforms in the hands feels better and more refined. I've had very limited time with it though, so can't speak to long-term usage. I still love DS4 anyway.

I think XBone has rumble triggers if I'm not mistaken, I don't think they adjust their force? I'm not sure.

I always thought haptics was the future, for a almost a couple of decades now, but I have yet to experience unbelievably good haptics except in modern Macbooks where the trackpad actually feels like it clicks. It's kinda mad how good it is.

I hear some VR controllers like Vive have great haptics as well, but I haven't tried those either.

I think getting haptics into the hands of 100s of millions of people next gen is going to be huge as long as the engines they use a sufficiently powerful. We'll see.
i'm not really sure on how this haptic trigger stuff work tbh.

if there is a mechanism that introduce some contrary force when they want to simulate a trigger from a gun or the force requested to use a bow, doesn't it become kinda of a strain for the fingers when you use a trigger thousand of times during a frenetic fps? also it is not more prone to mechanical breaking? i have pretty heavy not-delicate manners when i play :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

i mena i geat the intentions but it stil looks like a gimmick then a vital revolutionary feature.

but like i said i'm ignorant about the technology.
i onestly think that back buttons are far more useful in real gameplay scenario than both touchpad\haptic stuff combined.

Last edited:

CJY

Banned
i'm not really sure on how this haptic trigger stuff work tbh.

if there is a mechanism that introduce some contrary force when they want to simulate a trigger from a gun or the force requested to use a bow, doesn't it become kinda of a strain for the fingers when you use a trigger thousand of times during a frenetic fps? also it is not more prone to mechanical breaking? i have pretty heavy not-delicate manners when i play :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

i mena i geat the intentions but it stil looks like a gimmick then a vital revolutionary feature.

but like i said i'm ignorant about the technology.
i onestly thing that back buttons are fare more useful in real gameplay scanrio than both touchpad\haptic stuff combined.

I think all Xbox triggers do is rumble, there is no resistance...

Whereas DualSense has adaptive triggers which varies the resistance. I don't know if it actually has haptics built into the triggers though. I doubt it... it would be amazing. Even just rumble like Xbox combined with adaptive is great, but nothing is confirmed

Peter Rubin of Wired said:

“Sand felt slow and sloggy; mud felt slow and soggy. On ice, a high-frequency response made the thumbsticks really feel like my character was gliding. Jumping into a pool, I got a sense of the resistance of the water; on a wooden bridge, a bouncy sensation.”

So it sounds like the sticks have haptics built in... interesting.

Cerny said:
One is "adaptive triggers" that can offer varying levels of resistance to make shooting a bow and arrow feel like the real thing—the tension increasing as you pull the arrow back—or make a machine gun feel far different from a shotgun.

I think varying resistance isn't enough to recreate these sensations. Pulling the string of a bow creates high frequency micro vibrations and not just a sense of resistance.

It boils down to the mechanism that's used really. If it's a motor, then those micro stutters can be present, but prone to failure over time. I initially thought they'd somehow use magnets for resistance, but having individual haptic engines for each trigger seems overkill price-wise.

Anyway, DualSense for me is seriously full of mysteries. Haptics is a very interesting topic and will be amazing in the types of games Sony produces and beyond in terms of immersion. I don't think it's going to be like the touchpad where it's a feature that's ignored/underused and lacking mystery.

People will want and need to experience the sensations. Without haptics will feel empty without it at some point, just so much more than rumble ever was.

GymWolf

I think all Xbox triggers do is rumble, there is no resistance...

Whereas DualSense has adaptive triggers which varies the resistance. I don't know if it actually has haptics built into the triggers though. I doubt it... it would be amazing. Even just rumble like Xbox combined with adaptive is great, but nothing is confirmed

Peter Rubin of Wired said:

So it sounds like the sticks have haptics built in... interesting.

Cerny said:

I think varying resistance isn't enough to recreate these sensations. Pulling the string of a bow creates high frequency micro vibrations and not just a sense of resistance.

It boils down to the mechanism that's used really. If it's a motor, then those micro stutters can be present, but prone to failure over time. I initially thought they'd somehow use magnets for resistance, but having individual haptic engines for each trigger seems overkill price-wise.

Anyway, DualSense for me is seriously full of mysteries. Haptics is a very interesting topic and will be amazing in the types of games Sony produces and beyond in terms of immersion. I don't think it's going to be like the touchpad where it's a feature that's ignored/underused and lacking mystery.

People will want and need to experience the sensations. Without haptics will feel empty without it at some point, just so much more than rumble ever was.
i'm kinda curious myself, but if you know me a little you already know that i'm more of an old school guy who doens't really get a boner for all this fancy stuff.
if you ask me, console don't even need 3 gb for the os, just give me some 100mb ultra simple menu ps1 style :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

CJY

Banned
i'm kinda curious myself, but if you know me a little you already know that i'm more of an old school guy who doens't really get a boner for all this fancy stuff.
if you ask me, console don't even need 3 gb for the os, just give me some 100mb ultra simple menu ps1 style :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Well, you already have a PS4 for that stuff :p

CJY

Banned
ps4 also use at least 1-2 gb for the os tho 😆
haha. That is true. The bloated POS! :p

Personally I don't mind the footprint, just as long as it's fast and smooth. I still NXGamer's theory that the fast SSD can purge a lot of the OS data when you run a game, saving on RAM. That would be great.

Apparently PS5 will have a completely revamped UI. If anything, it's going to be even more bloated size-wise than PS4. Sorry to burst your bubble. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

GymWolf

haha. That is true. The bloated POS! :p

Personally I don't mind the footprint, just as long as it's fast and smooth. I still NXGamer's theory that the fast SSD can purge a lot of the OS data when you run a game, saving on RAM. That would be great.

Apparently PS5 will have a completely revamped UI. If anything, it's going to be even more bloated size-wise than PS4. Sorry to burst your bubble. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
that was the most interesting bit on his video for me.
imagine having 15+gb available just for games.

Rayderism

I just wonder how much this controller is going to cost when buying a spare. In fact, I think next-gen is going to be the most expensive yet, what with SSD's being the main type of storage, and all the extra stuff in the new controller.

I don't know about anyone else, but I ALWAYS get at least a second controller, just so you never have to deal with dead batteries in a particularly long gaming session. And I know a 1 or 2TB SSD drive (even 4TB would end up being filled quickly) is going to be quite expensive to acquire.

sixamp

All it is a half painted PS4 controller. WTF are you people going crazy about. They slimmed it and painted half the damn thing

SaucyJack

more likes, so? What can you "buy" from that?

I thought only GAMES matter, now likes on twitter matter more? XD
And likes are more important than TFLOPs, right?

Yeah, it's mostly meaningless, just a bit of fun really. No need to be so serious.

That said, the difference in social media engagement (not just restricted to these tweets) does give an indication of the challenges that Xbox will face next generation.

So you think that if ms revelead the controller today for the first time, it would garner this much attention?

And be honest please.

I think if Sony just unveiled another DualShock 4 with some features added it wouldn't be getting this much attention. I'm seeing alot of people talking about how different it looks over anything else.

As for Microsoft their controller looks like an Xbox One controller. It's really nothing new for the most part.

I think if Sony just unveiled another DualShock 4 with some features added it wouldn't be getting this much attention. I'm seeing alot of people talking about how different it looks over anything else.

As for Microsoft their controller looks like an Xbox One controller. It's really nothing new for the most part.
Thank you.

It's clear that Xbox cut corners with the controller and didn't innovate whatsoever.

Sony on the other hand took the risky route and innovated its controller inwards and outwards*

Thank you.

It's clear that Xbox cut corners with the controller and didn't innovate whatsoever.

Sony on the other hand took the risky route and innovated its controller inwards and outwards*

I'm guessing that Microsoft felt that their controller was good enough while Sony was looking for ways to improve theirs. There's really nothing wrong with the Xbox controller so I wouldn't feel bad about using it. Heck I'm using it on my PC and it's great for the most part.

It's good to see this, as so far their feed of information has been disappointing really especially as a PS person. I'm not a huge fan of the way the controller looks, but I'm sure it will grow on me with time.

Well once its out we can create threads for the sales of it aswell since sony is not afraid to share # 👀😂
They aren't afraid to show numbers because they are winning. Xbox knows that showing numbers won't do anything for them so why would they?

Why any of you people care what box another person prefers is beyond me. I get preferences, and I get being a fan but some people put way too much effort into it. Guess what? Corporations don't give a shit, they want your money.

Last edited:
It's good to see this, as so far their feed of information has been disappointing really especially as a PS person. I'm not a huge fan of the way the controller looks, but I'm sure it will grow on me with time.

They aren't afraid to show numbers because they are winning. Xbox knows that showing numbers won't do anything for them so why would they? Why any of you people care what box another person prefers is beyond me. I get preferences, and I get being a fan but some people put way too much effort into it. Guess what? Corporations don't give a shit, they want your money.
What fhe fuck ? Where in my post is refrence to another box? Read my comment again and read your comment again. Either u misquoted me or you are not making any sense .

Last edited:
What are you talking about?

Showing numbers is a significant thing for any brand to do, especially in the gaming industry.
Microsoft isn't going to post how many consoles they sell because they know everybody will compare it to PS and it won't look good for them. Microsoft and any company will focus and release numbers that put a positive outlook on the brand. You aren't going to come out, and say "We sold 50 million consoles" when you know the competition is over 100 million. You are going to post about game pass numbers, etc because it's a positive for your brand. This is basic marketing.
What fhe fuck ? Where in my post is refrence to another box? Read my comment again and read your comment again. Either u misquoted me or you are not making any sense .
The first part of that was towards you. I forgot to put a break after the numbers part. Also I said any of you people, not directing it towards you.

Last edited:

CJY

Banned
Microsoft isn't going to post how many consoles they sell because they know everybody will compare it to PS and it won't look good for them. Microsoft and any company will focus and release numbers that put a positive outlook on the brand. You aren't going to come out, and say "We sold 50 million consoles" when you know the competition is over 100 million. You are going to post about game pass numbers, etc because it's a positive for your brand. This is basic marketing.

The first part of that was towards you. I forgot to put a break after the numbers part. Also I said any of you people, not directing it towards you.

They are perfectly entitled to report whatever they please. (SEC permitting). It's just hilarious Sony are the ones accused of moving the goalposts. :p

ANIMAL1975

Nice. But why though?
Is your life that uninteresting? Do you work for sony? Do you have stock in sony? I do think it's pretty pathetic to by hyping number of tweets, likes etc... makes it look like you don't have a very interesting life if this kind of thing really gets you excited.
Neat, and Hillary Clinton won at the polls, and guess what? People hailing her and driving up polls didn't show up and vote and as a result Donald Trump is the President.

Like I said, talk is cheap.

You're conflating meaningless metrics to follow through, they're not the same.
wtf did I just read? Are you working for Sony Marketing? lol "super comfortable" xD You didn't even touch that controller, what are you talking about?
And what and how are those features going to be used anyways? Like the touchpad, so never by 99% of the games?
I'd rather have better battery life than all those gimmicks.

MS and Sony have a different take about the release.
MS spilled out almost all the beans in a short time and got instant attention. But theyr was a peak.
Sony is dripfeeding info bit by bit, and is getting attention every time some new info is coming out. And people are stoked to hear more.
Whats the best strategie...take your pick.😉

Tomeru

You are right about the looks, it does look effing good, but I would really like DynamiteCop!'s answer on this one.

At the end of the day Sony took inspiration from MS on the ergonomics of the controller and MS took inspiration from Sony on some of the functionality. If one existed without the other we would still be using old rectangular pads with no rumble, bumpers, speakers, triggers, touch pad, share, lightbar etc. Competition is a good thing.

Top Bottom