• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DualShock 4 Now Works Wirelessly With PS3

Phat PS3 60 gb owner here: Is it possible to run physical Ps2 games using the DS4?

I know you can do it on downloaded games but not on physical copies, right?

Zack117

Banned
NICE! Awesome news. I think I'll keep messing around with the arcade stick as well, it's just an extremely tedious process learning all new muscle memory.

Yeah, it's very frustrating for me at the moment. It's basicall like playing with a controller for the first time.

lucius

Seems like this is really for people who have more than one DS4, I got it working fine with Mass Effect works well with it. It's weird though I seem to have to reconnect it every time I shutdown and restart my system which is a pain, but I did already bend the end of one my micro USB cables sticking out of the DS4 so I rather do it this way, just hope Sony at least updates it so it connects auto every time like the Bluetooth Blu-ray remote once you register it.

Edit: I did some testing if power on my PS3 with an already registered DS4 pressing the PS button with that controller for some reason it doesn't reconnect after the start screen so have to register it again, but if I start the PS3 with just the consoles power button or even the Blu-Ray remote then press the PS button on the DS4 after the start screen it auto connects fine, I am using a later Slim model if that matters.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Wish it had more compatibility though, those DS3 sticks and shoulder buttons aren't fun for shooters.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Been playing some Ultra SF4 with it, I think I've found a street fighter pad finally, the original DS was great but I did get blisters after a while, the DS4 is perfect.

Certinty

Completed Vanquish using the DS4 yesterday, felt so much better than with the DS3. Currently playing Splinter Cell Blacklist on the PS3 too and I can't believe those idiots at Ubisoft didn't include an option to use L2 and R2 to aim and shoot. So looks like i'll have to use the DS3 on this.

lucius

Now I have no idea now why sometimes my DS4 auto connects and then sometimes won't, maybe it's getting confused at startup with my Blu-Ray Bluetooth remote. It will work fine like 10 times, then all of a sudden it won't and I have to register it again in settings even though it shows it's registered it's greyed out. Anyway still way better than using a wire, you don't even need the wire to register it with your PS3.

I think one of the best things I like over the DS3 that doesn't get mentioned much is the back texture grip on handles and back is like the best on any controller, it has almost perfect balance of texture front to back. I am always wiping other controllers after a while for better feel and grip especially DS3, but with DS4 almost never.

I've been using my DS4 on my PS3 lately and I was wondering...is it possible to output the sound from the TV to my headphones connected to my DS4? I plugged them in but nothing happened...on PS4 it's automatic so I dunno if I need to change some settings on PS3 or something.

Croc

Banned
Googled around a bit and couldn't find a solution so I'm asking here.

Trying to connect a DS4 I just picked up to my PS3 and everything goes fine until the final step. It'll recognize the controller and I'll try to pair it and it'll tell me the pass key is incorrect and then exit out.

Any solutions?

Edit: Okay restarting the system fixed it for whatever reason

Daaruz

Banned
oh damn! this is legit! my number 1 complaint about the PS3 was the horrible DS3...

DS4 is the best console controller, period.
megaton indeed!

Wow, totally bizarre that indeed the DualShock4 DOES NOT detect diagonal movements on the Dpad when played wirelessly on the PS3. (0__o)

Minamu

Probably a stupid question (and I asked in the stupid gaming questions thread as well) but is the headphone jack available when using the ds4 on the ps3?

plainr_

Probably a stupid question (and I asked in the stupid gaming questions thread as well) but is the headphone jack available when using the ds4 on the ps3?

Nope.

What we have currently is a basic HID connection, limited to physical button inputs. Still no support for SIXAXIS motion, vibration, and other misc bluetooth features like audio output.

I just tried the controller again with my PS3. The PS button still does not work, and neither do the triggers. I tested it with Fallout: New Vegas.

Does the PS button work now ?

i doubt it. I assume it works just like it did when the wired connection was possible at the PS4 launch.

it's still 100x better than using the dualshock3. what you do is use the DS4 for playing and have the DS3 close by for using the PS button.

Wait, the triggers don't work at all? How are you supposed to play shooters?

No idea.

For clarification, I'm just talking about L2 and R2. Both L1 and R1 work fine. Though that doesn't really change much; they are essential buttons and not being able to use them in games makes the controller useless.

I guess I will stick with my DualShock 3s. :(

YASSSSSS
60d13a450feeec30718070c94ecd841c.gif

No idea.

For clarification, I'm just talking about L2 and R2. Both L1 and R1 work fine. Though that doesn't really change much; they are essential buttons and not being able to use them in games makes the controller useless.

I guess I will stick with my DualShock 3s. :(
Doing some googling it seems like it is just Fallout 3 and New Vegas that the triggers don't work.

Top Bottom