• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Duck Dynasty's Phil: Black People were happy pre-civil rights era, pre-welfare, etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
You know this guy is college educated, right? He has a masters in education. He knows exactly why black people didn't complain to white people during the jim crow era. I find it hard to believe it's anything but racism motivating this denial and whitewashing of history. .

Another destubing thing in this whole ordeal is this what's bolded. It's something that I had an issue with Ta Coates in great Atlantic article too.

Because MANY black people complained to white people during the Jim Crow era. Two of them obviously was Martin Luther King and Malcolm X. So no we are to pretend that those men didn't exist? Or that Robertson never heard of those guys or the millions of people marching all over the country for equal rights?

All of those people were complaining literally ONLY to white people at the time.

Slayven

Another destubing thing in this whole ordeal is this what's bolded. It's something that I had an issue with Ta Coates in great Atlantic article too.

Because MANY black people complained to white people during the Jim Crow era. Two of them obviously was Martin Luther King and Malcolm X. So no we are to pretend that those men didn't exist? Or that Robertson never heard of those guys or the millions of people marching all over the country for equal rights?

All of those people were complaining literally ONLY to white people at the time.

You mean the trouble makers? The race baiters? Boys that forgot their place? You know why they forgot them. Smae thing happens to Obama when he mentions race, he jsut stirring up trouble again.

ido

Yeah, living during Jim Crow and you never witnessed the mistreatment of black people sounds pretty legit. The statement on entitlement and welfare is very telling, as well. It's pretty obvious how this man thinks, and it's disgusting.

I'm pretty sure there are more Bible verses on facial hair than homosexuality. And isn't divorce a pretty frowned upon thing as well? Didn't Jesus specifically mention divorce as a no-no(while completely NOT mentioning homosexuality)? Why exactly aren't these same religious people fighting to make divorce illegal? Why do they have tunnel vision on a "sin" that is rarely even mentioned in the Bible, while actively ignoring something as important as divorce?

I'll be waiting for the rallies attempting to make divorce illegal.

Savitar

Got to wonder how much further down the rabbit hole this guy is going to go before the whole duck house comes crumbling down.

Zaphod

Got to wonder how much further down the rabbit hole this guy is going to go before the whole duck house comes crumbling down.

It won't come crumbling down. He's just parroting what a portion of the population is craving to hear: racist, homophobic, sexist and anti-'any religion other than Jesus' nonsense slathered in a persecution complex that makes for good ratings and merch sales.

It won't come crumbling down. He's just parroting what a portion of the population is craving to hear: racist, homophobic, sexist and anti-'any religion other than Jesus' nonsense slathered in a persecution complex that makes for good ratings and merch sales.

Basically, this.

The guy is exploiting his own beliefs for a buck.

You mean the trouble makers? The race baiters? Boys that forgot their place? You know why they forgot them. Smae thing happens to Obama when he mentions race, he jsut stirring up trouble again.

My mother-in-law once told me she was so happy when MLK was killed, because of all that trouble he was stirring up down south. Then she said she missed her days in the John Birch Society. It was so shocking and out of left field that I burst out laughing.

DarkFlow

Banned

If my GF parents are and indication, he could say anything and they will love him for it. Her step dad even got a Phil shirt and was proud of it. They even defend what he said...

Dali

He will have too say something so crazy that no one can defend it.
I'd think what he said about the state of black people is pretty indefensible but here we are. The only thing that would screw him is if he said something offensive to redneck sensibilities like he grows his beard because he is Jesus reincarnated or its ok to increase revenue with taxes.

mckmas8808

My mother-in-law once told me she was so happy when MLK was killed, because of all that trouble he was stirring up down south. Then she said she missed her days in the John Birch Society. It was so shocking and out of left field that I burst out laughing.

Do you view your mom differently now?

He said he personally didn't hear any complaining.

Slayven

I'd think what he said about the state of black people is pretty indefensible but here we are. The only thing that would screw him is if he said something offensive to redneck sensibilities like he grows his beard because he is Jesus reincarnated or its ok to increase revenue with taxes.

GOP and others have said similar shit for years. He will have say something like "they should hang all gays and blacks" before anything to happen.

mckmas8808

He said he personally didn't hear any complaining.

So you truly believe that this Masters Degree earning college grad was being "that" intelligently dishonest that he was literally saying that black people didn't complain to him directly?

You don't think he was thinking more universally like Empty Vessel showed above?

Do you view your mom differently now?

Mother-in-law. She died not long after that. She was rapidly becoming a Tea Partier, and is one of those people whose racism came to the fore because of Obama. She had never said a racist word in my, or my wife's, presence before that. It's become more of a punchline about her than an actual stain on her memory.

Likewise with my grandfather, whom my grandmother in her dementia revealed had been an inveterate racist. Never heard or saw evidence of it, but it does make me curious how he would react to politics today.

Just had a friend on Facebook post about Phil's underage marriage comments. It'll be interesting how the rest of my list reacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom