• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DuckTales Remasted Announced (Capcom/Wayforward, $15, XBLA/PS3/WiiU/PC)

I'm still kinda bummed that Disney never made a film based on Don Rosa's comics.

What about this?
ducktales_the_movie_treasure_of_the_lost_lamp.jpg

HeySeuss

Why do demos of new games always have to be played by someone who apparently has never played a video game in their life? I was getting pissed watching that ign video.

Game looks great tho.

kunonabi

I know about the best ending, but the ending where you finish the game with no money?

How is that possible? You get money just for completing a stage....

Wait...I forgot you can 'spend' money to replenish health. Holy crap, I think I need to try this.

Love how these old games can still surprise you with hidden stuff unlike shit like TR where everything is handed to you on a silver platter and you've seen everything it has to offer in like a day or so.

Love how these old games can still surprise you with hidden stuff unlike shit like TR where everything is handed to you on a silver platter and you've seen everything it has to offer in like a day or so.

A lot of gamers don't like the multiple endings though. There was a topic about that very thing here earlier. So you can't please everyone.

I'm hoping common sense will prevail, I don't own any current gen console but I am so tempted to buy a Vita just for this. Like I really need this.

Just hearing that theme song makes me smile.

Tizoc

Has anyone spoken with the devs to ensure it doesn't have always online DRM in order to play the game? The current build pretty much shows that is not the case, but better to be on the safe side on this...

Cheerilee

Looking at those gameplay videos, it's still blowing my mind that this is going to be an actual, tangible thing that's actually going to be released.

Never in my wildest dreams would I have expected this to ever happen, much less put into the hands of a capable studio.
It's not tangible, it's digital. Capcom is probably just going to take it away from us in a few years, because this time we're explicitly licensing it, not buying it.

Still amazing.

scrooge looking too happy for his own good.
He's just glad to be back making games again. Like Karen Allen in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. He can't help it.

I'm still kinda bummed that Disney never made a film based on Don Rosa's comics.

I love Don Rosa, I corresponded with him via snailmail over 20 years ago and talked with him at length a couple of years after that, but Carl Barks alone is what made Scrooge what he is and Don Rosa would be the first to tell you that.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
What about this?
ducktales_the_movie_treasure_of_the_lost_lamp.jpg

According to wikipedia and IMDB Don Rosa wasn't involved in any way. The screenplay is by Alan Burnett who was a writer for Disney Afternoon, and seems to be loosely based on several older Uncle Scrooge comics by Carl Barks, mixed in with familiar Arabian folklore I'd imagine.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Well he is maintaining his position as richest duck in the world. Of course he is happy.

In the Rosa comics, Scrooge never really was all that happy, even with all his amassed wealth.

Because the one thing he desired, a family of his own, was something he could never have.

mclem

I know about the best ending, but the ending where you finish the game with no money?

How is that possible? You get money just for completing a stage....

Wait...I forgot you can 'spend' money to replenish health. Holy crap, I think I need to try this.

I will be *shocked* if this isn't an achievement. It's exactly the sort of thing achievements are *for*.

deleted

Where's the "attempting PC" from the title coming from? Doesn't get mentioned in the OP as far as I can see. I'd prefer to play this on PC, otherwise its Wii U for me.

duckroll

Where's the "attempting PC" from the title coming from? Doesn't get mentioned in the OP as far as I can see. I'd prefer to play this on PC, otherwise its Wii U for me.

During the PAX streaming from Capcom Unity, the commentators (who are Capcom guys) mentioned that they're definitely looking into a PC release but they can't make any promises right now.

Mike M

Nick N
I've been watching the first season of the show this weekend since the announcement, and you can really pick up how the character's voices have changed. The nephews were much rougher sounding back then (though never as garbled as Donald), Scrooge sounds slightly more sedate... Webby still sounds about the same though.

Alucrid

Banned
You know, I wasn't all that excited. Then I watched the trailer just now

and the theme song came on

and I started to sing along

and now I'm fucking buying it then double dipping when the PC version comes out

Really glad to see a great Capcom classic like DuckTales get some current gen love. I will buy this game.

Konami needs to get Wayforward to do a 2D sequal to Castlevania 4. We need Castlevania 5- The Return of Simon.

iMerc

aaaahh wayforward. bringing my childhood back to me.
first, a boy and his bob, now Duck Tales.

Please follow up with Chip n' Dale and Darkwing Duck.
Also, as far fetched as it is, please also bring back Jackie Chan's action Kung Fu.

I will worship you unconditionally and defend your honour in any internet gaming thread henceforth if you do.

Cheerilee

Really glad to see a great Capcom classic like DuckTales get some current gen love. I will buy this game.

Konami needs to get Wayforward to do a 2D sequal to Castlevania 4. We need Castlevania 5- The Return of Simon.

Castlevania 4 was originally just supposed to be called "Super Castlevania". It's a remake of CV1. Nintendo told them to add the "4" to make it seem more important.

Wayforward needs to make a sequel to Super Castlevania, as in, a CV4-style full-blown remake of CV2: Simon's Quest.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Castlevania 4 was originally just supposed to be called "Super Castlevania". It's a remake of CV1. Nintendo told them to add the "4" to make it seem more important.

Wayforward needs to make a sequel to Super Castlevania, as in, a CV4-style full-blown remake of CV2: Simon's Quest.
It was just "Castlevania" in Japan. Well, actually it was Akumajo Dracula (Demon Castle Dracula), which was the normal name for the series in Japan at the time, and was the same name as the first NES game.

So no IV... Not even Super originally. You might be right about Nintendo making the request in America.

But you could give a CV5 a different name in Japan or whatever. They didn't have a game called Contra 3, so when we got Contra 4, they called it Contra:Dual Spirits.

I don't think it matters at this point if IV was not a "real" sequel.

I've been watching the first season of the show this weekend since the announcement, and you can really pick up how the character's voices have changed. The nephews were much rougher sounding back then (though never as garbled as Donald), Scrooge sounds slightly more sedate... Webby still sounds about the same though.
I was noticing this too, you can really tell that Alan Young is getting on in years. His Scrooge these days is much more... sedated. He used to be filled with piss and vigor, with a vibrant rowdy voice that had an edge to it, now he's got a much softer tone to him.

I was noticing this too, you can really tell that Alan Young is getting on in years. His Scrooge these days is much more... sedated. He used to be filled with piss and vigor, with a vibrant rowdy voice that had an edge to it, now he's got a much softer tone to him.

It's amazing he can still do it at all. There's a line in the demo that has a breathy pause, but still he powers on through.

madmackem

Ohhhh good god its amazing, i have a massive place in my heart for the og cartoon and nes game. Being a kid in the uk in the 80s ducktales was massive, saturday mornings ducktales were just fantastic. I really hope we will see more of this sort of thing, a remake of Castle of Illusion from the mega drive.

It's amazing he can still do it at all. There's a line in the demo that has a breathy pause, but still he powers on through.
Oh absolutely. It's going to be really awful when he does. Scrooge's voice is one of my top 3 favorite voices ever.

Disney tends to kind of "grow" replacement voice actors in a way, like they did with Donald, Mickey, and Goofy. Is there anyone else that's ever done Scrooge's voice, or is anywhere near the same caliber?

First of all: This is my first post on NeoGAF, and its in a thread about Ducktales...not the NES Ducktales (one of the best games the NES has ever seen). No it's about a remastered HD-Version of Ducktales which i will buy Day ONE :)

If somebody told me this 2 weeks ago i would have said: No way. Capcom doesnt have the licenses anymore...and all of a sudden Megaton! Everythings about this game screames nostalgia and i cant believe that Capcom is involved...(lets be honest Capcom has seen better times) Cant wait for the summer :)

Thats the second best thing this year after my wedding :-D

By the way: My nick is Scrooge McDucks german name ;-)

zweifuss

Oh absolutely. It's going to be really awful when he does. Scrooge's voice is one of my top 3 favorite voices ever.

Disney tends to kind of "grow" replacement voice actors in a way, like they did with Donald, Mickey, and Goofy.
Is there anyone else that's ever done Scrooge's voice, or is anywhere near the same caliber?

I think the Scottish comedian Frankie Boyle could pull off the voice. Sounds very close. Of course he's a pretty crude guy so his image doesn't exactly scream family friendly cartoon but even George Carlin the filthiest guy around was Mr conductor at shining time station so anything is possible...

The original DuckTales is one of my all time favorites and I very much appreciate WayForward, but I concur that the cut scenes look a bit overbearing, regardless of whether they are well written and voiced. Even if you can skip them via a menu it still affects the flow of action, and the ease of playing though uninterrupted is a big part of the appeal of the gamel for me personally. Is it too much to hope for something like a classic mode, where it's arranged more like the NES game? Seems like the ideal option to let players enjoy the new content or just have a quick replay without the extra baggage.

Fuzz Rez

Banned
According to wikipedia and IMDB Don Rosa wasn't involved in any way. The screenplay is by Alan Burnett who was a writer for Disney Afternoon, and seems to be loosely based on several older Uncle Scrooge comics by Carl Barks, mixed in with familiar Arabian folklore I'd imagine.

Not to mention Rosa loathed Ducktales. I think he wrote one Ducktales story and he told it felt like he was selling his soul while writing the story (or something along those lines). I never liked Ducktales either except for the game. It was one of my favorite games on NES. Ducktales 2 wasn't all that good but overall it wasn't bad either, it did have that sense of adventure that I really liked, hopefully the redo that one as well.

Bazza

I remember playing this game, a remake is nice but i would prefer a remake of Quackshot that was released on the Megadrive.

Shining

Just finished watching the whole TV-series and was a bit sad it had to end. Then i read about this. dem original voice actors!

KiteGr

I always preffered the original Duck Universe introduced in Comix by Carl Barks and builded upon by Don Rosa.

I never liked the altered Universe of Duck Tails... All the characters introduced there are incredibly annoying (Webby, Mrs Bentina Beakley, Launchpad McQuack), and the only memorable part about the series was the intro song (and this videogame).

Fuzz Rez

Banned
I always preffered the original Duck Universe introduced in Comix by Carl Barks and builded upon by Don Rosa.

I never liked the altered Universe of Duck Tails... All the characters introduced there are incredibly annoying (Webby, Mrs Bentina Beakley, Launchpad McQuack), and the only memorable part about the series was the intro song (and this videogame).

Same for me. DuckTales: The Quest for Gold was also good game for kids. I hated those rock climbing missions.

Top Bottom