• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Duke Nukem Forever (PC/PS3/360, 2011) announced by Gearbox/T2, playable at PAX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saty

What is there to like? It's tasteless, juvenile and sexist - 'Humor' in its lowliest form. It's like i need to go back 12 years to actually enjoy it nowdays. It may have worked back then but the conditions were totally different. For me today, it's offputting: i'm not appriciating it or the crowd that goes wild over this.

It's as if Gearbox\3D Realms refrained from incorporating any of the positive progression in video games in certain departments but adopted the 'bad habbits' in others (especially when it comes to gameplay).

'Hey look, i can piss all i want', 'Hey, i'm getting a blowjob' etc.

Other than that, gameplay looked pretty straightforward and Duke's voice sounded off to me.

Didn't like the peeing segment at the beginning.
Was far too forced.

The rest was pretty good, though.
Duke is suppose to be juvenile and self aware.

derFeef

Saty said:
What is there to like? It's tasteless, juvenile and sexist - 'Humor' in its lowliest form. It's like i need to go back 12 years to actually enjoy it nowdays. It may have worked back then but the conditions were totally different. For me today, it's offputting: i'm not appriciating it or the crowd that goes wild over this.

It's as if Gearbox\3D Realms refrained from incorporating any of the positive progression in video games in certain departments but adopted the 'bad habbits' in others (especially when it comes to gameplay).

Other than that, gameplay looked pretty straightforward and Duke's voice sounded off to me.
Blah blah... its Duke. There are other games out there where you get what you search for.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Saty said:

:lol :lol :lol :lol

SMH.

[Nintex]

Saty said:

Astrolad's second account?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Saty said:
Every voice sample from Duke Nukem sounds off after Duke Nukem 3D. Those samples were low quality and compressed to hell. Go listen to any Duke Nukem game post Duke3D and it sounds like this.

derFeef said:
Blah blah... its Duke. There are other games out there where you get what you search for.
Like, for instance, Gears of War 3

[Nintex]

drizzle said:
Like, for instance, Gears of War 3
Yeah, such a great and deep story. Remember Gears of War 2, I had an emotional bond with Dom's girlfriend. Such well written dialogue it's like I was playing a novel, but better.

No_Style

Looks awesome!

A couple of things I noticed that other games don't normally incorporate, but should:

The water droplets dripping down his screen.
The fact that he gets knocked down and you see his hands and feet when he gets up.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
[Nintex] said:
Yeah, such a great and deep story. Remember Gears of War 2, I had an emotional bond with Dom's girlfriend. Such well written dialogue it's like I was playing a novel, but better.
Yes, most touching part of the game. Too bad I can't remember her name. They never said it! It's like they wanted me to connect to her on a different level.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
drizzle said:
Yes, most touching part of the game. Too bad I can't remember her name. They never said it! It's like they wanted me to connect to her on a different level.
MARIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

nicjac

Saty said:

Must suck to grow into someone that jaded. I am 27 and happy to admit I can still appreciate this "lowliest form" of humor. The game looks really fun, can't wait to play it!

Saty said:

What the fuck?

[Nintex]

drizzle said:
And the photo that I got with the game, easily the best CE bonus ever. I could almost put all the pieces together and imagine their happy life and how people from different religions could come closer and have so much influence in our current society. After I finished the game, just a for a brief moment, after the incredible epilogue... wow just wow I felt like a new person who knew the secret to world peace.

Snuggler said:
What don't you like about it? Just curious.

Where do I start?

This game is coming out in 2036 and that's the best they can do with the graphics? It looks like some shit farted out in 2010. Is that what you expect the game's graphics to look like in 2036?

Saty

Yeah, it's 'Duke' but that doesn't mean its immune to criticism. Sure, you can love it but you can't dismiss\ignore the complaints. Humor can be done without being outright offensive or reduced to piss and sex.
It's the epitome of the 'Dudebro' angle that is rediculed by every GAF-er. It isn't done in a satiric way or with self-awareness but in disgusting, glorifying manner, led by a douche of a protagonist.

You can still maintain the 'flare' of Duke but not make it obnoxious. Thinking so doesn't make me 'jaded'. Heck, i would have overlooked all of this if the gameplay was anything to write about but i was left underwhelmed. The only mentionable thing is the drawning board, which may prove fun using the mouse.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Cow Mengde said:
Where do I start?

This game is coming out in 2036 and that's the best they can do with the graphics? It looks like some shit farted out in 2010. Is that what you expect the game's graphics to look like in 2036?
I think they're going for a retro look.

derFeef

Saty said:
You can still maintain the 'flare' of Duke but not make it obnoxious. Thinking so doesn't make me 'jaded'. Heck, i would have overlooked all of this if the gameplay was anything to write about but i was left underwhelmed. The only mentionable thing is the drawning board, which may prove fun using the mouse.
We only saw a fraction of the game. Its a bit premature to judge the whole game upon that I think.

DeBurgo

I love the idea of duke being the inscrutable savior-protagonist ala gordon freeman, except instead of just being a mute nerd he's a laconic asshole who loves women, one-liners, and getting his dick sucked.

DaBuddaDa

Saty said:
It's the epitome of the 'Dudebro' angle that is rediculed by every GAF-er. It isn't done in a satiric way or with self-awareness but in disgusting, glorifying manner, led by a douche of a protagonist.
PpXwm.jpg

M Tyson

Banned
Saty said:

whats that smell? it smells like pussy

Saty said:
Yeah, it's 'Duke' but that doesn't mean its immune to criticism. Sure, you can love it but you can't dismiss\ignore the complaints. Humor can be done without being outright offensive or reduced to piss and sex.

Um... I'm pretty sure Duke Nukem has always been self-aware. Everyone involved knows how over the top and ridiculous it is. That's the point. You're being silly.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
No_Style said:
Looks awesome!

A couple of things I noticed that other games don't normally incorporate, but should:

The water droplets dripping down his screen.
The fact that he gets knocked down and you see his hands and feet when he gets up.
He doesn't have a screen :/ Do you mean his glasses?

Spoo

Full-body awareness was an inspired choice to have implemented early on. Being able to look down and see Duke helps remind the player that they are Duke -- the ultimate alien ass-kicker. It's also very cinematic; helping keep the player grounded in Duke's world, while also allowing all of that lauded interactivity to actually feel, well, interactive on a more personal level.

The humor is spot-on. You can easily scout out the people in this thread who never really understood Duke humor to begin with; it's crass, not classy. Overdone for the sake of overt presence. You're supposed to be reminded time and time again that you're playing a Duke game, and all of the humor shown in this (and other) videos respect that very much. This is Duke; if you don't care for it, you never really cared for what Duke is in the first place.

The visuals and gameplay seem both retro and yet perfectly in line with today's games. It's clearly fast-paced, arcade-ish action, which is why DN3D was so popular then and today, but the visuals are colorful, and accessible. A far cry from the darker games that get pumped out ad nauseum by companies that should know better.

Day 1. This is clearly the Duke game we've been waiting for. Or at least, the Duke game I've been waiting for. And when you've waited for "12 fucking years", that's pretty astounding.

M Tyson said:
whats that smell? it smells like pussy
Classy

Saty said:
What the hell did I just read

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Speedymanic said:
Live demo footage is finally out there...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-97N6jNKb4

:D :lol

So awesome ;_;

Saty said:

What. Duke has always been a self-aware, satirical over-the-top parody of the musclebound action movie heroes of the 1980s. It's never been about glorifying the objectification (sp?) of women or the 'Dudebro' personality, but poking fun at 80s action movie clichès while turning the amps up to 11.

MNC

That looked great, though the only thing that looked a bit off was Duke's own animations in the mirror; I thought it was a model in jesus pose at first :eek:

Wow does Gaf drink the kool aid today or what. This game looks awful. So far it's just an HD version of a game I already bought 12 years ago. Is this really what you guys wanted...an HD facelift and that's it? Really? Same jokes. Same lines. Same gameplay. 12 years of work. Nice.
I know a lot of you guys miss the "good old days" when fps's were just circle straffing and holding down the fire button, but take off those neato rose tinted glasses for a second, think about it then please reconsider.

And as a demo, it was presented horribly. Having to stop a presentation 4 times is not a good thing. They really didn't prep this very well did they? Did they not get enough time to prepare for it? The guy couldn't draw a penis on the chalkboard and spent way too long trying to do it. The demo player dies, too. I mean c'mon. Did the audience behind you just show up uninvited?

I loved Duke Nukem for being fresh and satirizing something that truly needed to be made fun of in gaming for the longest time. When this series first hit the big time, it had a sense of self-awareness and humor that was rarely seen. Now, that's not the case. Matter of fact, it's weirder these days to run into an over-the-top action game that ISN'T unaware at this point. The 80's action days are over and its been satirized to death. Duke Nukem is obsolete at its current/past form. The only thing it's got left going for it is oddly enough the hilarious 12 year old development cycle that keeps it in the news. The dev cycle is a funnier joke than anything that can be found in that demo.

They had 12 years to come up with something funny or interesting or fun and they didn't. They only tool left in their toolbox is the nostagia screwdriver and boy do they realize that. The only new joke they made here that wasn't made before was duke nukem taking 30 seconds to take a piss, where nobody laughed and for good reason. They had 12 years to polish this old stone into a modern gem and dropped the ball.

SuomiDude

Although I'll probably never going to play this game (well maybe in a few years when I've bought a new computer and I can find this for like 5€), I still found that demo presentation to be fun, to show a true Duke Nukem game. Of course the game can't live up to the 12-13 year wait, but I still laughed at the humor shown (and I'm not some teenage boy seeing/hearing sex jokes and stuff for the first time, I'm 28). Now I haven't played first person shooters for many many years (the last one was Halo 2 I think), but I have followed video game news all this time and haven't seen a single game which takes this kind of approach. The closest I can think of is Serious Sam, but even that is nothing like what I've seen of this game.

So I don't think people are wearing rose tinted glasses even if they are excited for this game. Just my thoughts.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Mr. B Natural said:
Wow does Gaf drink the kool aid today or what. This game looks awful. So far it's just an HD version of a game I already bought 12 years ago. Is this really what you guys wanted...an HD facelift and that's it? Really? Same jokes. Same lines. Same gameplay. 12 years of work. Nice.
I know a lot of you guys miss the "good old days" when fps's were just circle straffing and holding down the fire button, but take off those neato rose tinted glasses for a second, think about it then please reconsider.

And as a demo, it was presented horribly. Having to stop a presentation 4 times is not a good thing. They really didn't prep this very well did they? Did they not get enough time to prepare for it? The guy couldn't draw a penis on the chalkboard and spent way too long trying to do it. The demo player dies, too. I mean c'mon. Did the audience behind you just show up uninvited?

I loved Duke Nukem for being fresh and satirizing something that truly needed to be made fun of in gaming for the longest time. When this series first hit the big time, it had a sense of self-awareness and humor that was rarely seen. Now, that's not the case. Matter of fact, it's weirder these days to run into an over-the-top action game that ISN'T unaware at this point. The 80's action days are over and its been satirized to death. Duke Nukem is obsolete at its current/past form. The only thing it's got left going for it is oddly enough the hilarious 12 year old development cycle that keeps it in the news. The dev cycle is a funnier joke than anything that can be found in that demo.

They had 12 years to come up with something funny or interesting or fun and they didn't. They only tool left in their toolbox is the nostagia screwdriver and boy do they realize that. The only new joke they made here that wasn't made before was duke nukem taking 30 seconds to take a piss, where nobody laughed and for good reason. They had 12 years to polish this old stone into a modern gem and dropped the ball.
Are you complaining about people happy for finally receiving what they've been waiting for in the last 12 years instead of something different from what they've been waiting for in the last 12 years?

SuomiDude said:
Now I haven't played first person shooters for many many years (the last one was Halo 2 I think), but I have followed video game news all this time and haven't seen a single game which takes this kind of approach. The closest I can think of is Serious Sam, but even that is nothing like what I've seen of this game.
http://www.dudebro2.com :p
Well, not exactly the same approach, but similar in many ways as Duke is satirizing 80s action movies and Dudebro is satirizing videogames aping 80s action movies.

Tain

I just played through Blood and like half of Shadow Warrior.

what the fuck are you talking about with the bolded (outside of the shitty cyber demon)

Saty said:

You seem to remember Duke as being a feminist friendly kind of guy.

And obviously, there is no way in hell that last section is going anywhere but this presentation to a 18+ audience.

They are just having some cheap fun to get the word out. Nothing to get worked up about, imo.

KareBear

Tain said:
I just played through Blood and like half of Shadow Warrior.

what the fuck are you talking about with the bolded (outside of the shitty cyber demon)

When you get done with Shadow Warrior dont forget to play the Twin Dragon and Wanton Destruction expansions for some great extra content.

Zeitgeister said:
You seem to remember Duke as being a feminist friendly kind of guy.

And obviously, there is no way in hell that last section is going anywhere but this presentation to a 18+ audience.

They are just having some cheap fun to get the word out. Nothing to get worked up about, imo.

You don't think that'll be in the game?

This doesn´t seem like a game for me. They showed some nice interactive stuff, and hade some neat ideas for how to use a camera in FPS games, but other than that it seemed like a really stupid game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom