• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dust 514 |OT| You don't need to pay to win

Zen

Banned
Uprising 1.3 Patch Notes

Release Date: July 30th.
Patch size: 40MB

New Player Experience
Academy matches now take place in an 8v8 Ambush setting, doing this makes the early matches more focused allowing players to gradually learn how to play

Battle Finder
Ambush and Ambush OMS queues have been combined

HUD
Weapon efficiency % readout now uses new absolute range setting instead of effective range, meaning it now provides info at all ranges

Dropsuits
Logistics update:
Gave the Amarr logistics suit an additional low slot at PROTOTYPE tier and a third equipment slot at ADVANCED tier
Introduced the sidearm slot at STANDARD tier level instead of PROTOTYPE tier, so the role gets its defining characteristic from the start
Increased Amarr Logistics PG: 3 at STD (up to 36 from 33), 4 at ADV (up to 50 from 46) and 6 at PRO (up to 72 from 66)
Altered the shield recharge delays of all Logistics suits to be closer to Assault suits
Lower Caldari Logistics CPU: 20 at STD (down to 175 from 195), 28 at ADV (down to 245 from 273) and 40 at PRO (down to 350 from 390)
Adjusted Caldari Logistics and Assault bonuses as per the below:
OLD:
Caldari Logistics: 5% bonus to shield extenders per level
Caldari Assault: 2% bonus to hybrid weapon reload speed
NEW:
Caldari Logistics: 5% bonus to shield regulators per level
Caldari Assault: 2% bonus to shield extenders per level

Weapons
Flaylock Pistols:
Reduced base splash damage from 195 to 140
Reduced base direct hit damage from 218 to 165
Reduced the blast radius to 1.25 from 1.5 meters for ADVANCED tier, and from 2.0 to 1.5 meters for PROTOTYPE tier
Modified ammo skill to give 1 missile per level instead of 5% per level
Modified fitting skill to give a CPU bonus instead of PG
Reduced ammo pool from 21 to 15 at STANDARD tier; 18 at ADVANCED tier and 21 at PROTOTYPE tier
Contact grenades:
Lowered ammo count to 1
Homogenised PG/CPU
Homogenised blast damage and radius

UI
Chat channel name limit increased to 60 characters
Enlarged the Aurum purchase window and added show info button

Visuals
Added shadow-casting on the first person hands and weapon

Bug fixes and polish

Fixed an issue that could cause deployable equipment to become unusable
Fixed an issue by which changing seats in a vehicle could cause the player to become invisible
Fixed an issue wherein the player could be killed by a flux grenade
Fixed an issue with the overheat system, where turrets and infantry weapons would fire indefinitely without depleting ammunition
Fixed an issue affecting the laser and scrambler rifles, whereby reloading during the cooldown rendered the weapon unable to shoot
Fixed a low level issue that was causing several infrequent crashes and hangs
Fixed an infrequent crash when loading a Skirmish match from the Instant Battle tab in the Battlefinder
Fixed an erroneous corruption message when loading a Skirmish match from the Instant Battle tab in the Battlefinder
Removed shadow artifacts appearing on flat surfaces
Smoothed out the animation of players in the distance
CCP Logibro // EVE Universe Community Team // Distributor of Nanites

@CCP_Logibro

i know they don't mention it, but I feel like they really improved the game engine with this patch, the framerate is a lot better, even on high settings. As consequence the aiming feels a lot better (in addition to the slight aim assist they added back in) and increasing the frames of animation at a distance has really helped with sniping,

The Light

Recently got back into this now that my internet is more stable. Since my net hasn't been stable for a month I've been kicked from my corp. Solo is just as frustrating as I remember. No teamwork at all unless there is another corp with at least 2 squads. Those new pistols are such b.s

Something else I've noticed is matches always end in blowouts. I've never been in a close match in my time of playing this. Going to try and get back in the corp I was in. I think that is the only way im going to enjoy playing this again.

Recently got back into this now that my internet is more stable. Since my net hasn't been stable for a month I've been kicked from my corp. Solo is just as frustrating as I remember. No teamwork at all unless there is another corp with at least 2 squads. Those new pistols are such b.s

Something else I've noticed is matches always end in blowouts. I've never been in a close match in my time of playing this. Going to try and get back in the corp I was in. I think that is the only way im going to enjoy playing this again.

Pretty much where I'm at in the game. Going it solo really feels like a lost cause most of the time given how prevalent Squads in Protogear are in each mode of the game. Luckily I have a pretty nice corp.

CCP is going to adjust Faction Warfare to a matchmaking system where you simply state which faction you want to fight for and it'll throw you in the next open battle, and on top of this they are going to allow you to queue up with full 16 man teams. I am thinking this change is going to really help alleviate the frustrations y'all are facing when doing instant battles.

CCP is going to adjust Faction Warfare to a matchmaking system where you simply state which faction you want to fight for and it'll throw you in the next open battle, and on top of this they are going to allow you to queue up with full 16 man teams. I am thinking this change is going to really help alleviate the frustrations y'all are facing when doing instant battles.

The problem is the time frame for a lot of these fixes. Is the stuff you're mentioning coming out in 1.4 near the end of the month?

As a pure vehicle user myself I can't say I'm too pleased that the Vehicle Rebalance pass won't be seeing anything until 1.5~1.6 which is 2-3 months away.
=\

The problem is the time frame for a lot of these fixes. Is the stuff you're mentioning coming out in 1.4 near the end of the month?

As a pure vehicle user myself I can't say I'm too pleased that the Vehicle Rebalance pass won't be seeing anything until 1.5~1.6 which is 2-3 months away.
=\

Updates are coming on a monthly basis.

Uprising 1.4 (Late August/Early September): LAV collision fix, Gallente Research Lab outpost set, laser rifle changes, more TBA
Uprising 1.5 (Late September/Early October): Full vehicle rebalance and some weapon rebalance. More TBA
Uprising 1.6 (Late October/Early November): Content TBA
Uprising 1.7 (Late November/Early December): Caldari Production Facility outpost set, more content TBA

That is all I know about for what's coming, but I'd wager the changes to Faction Warfare could very well be coming in 1.4 and if not then for sure 1.5. You say the time frame is a problem, but I honestly don't know many FPS devs who are releasing monthly content updates.

The Light

I can't get my bluetooth mic to work for some reason. In xmb settings it picks up my voice fine, but in game it shows that I don't even a mic. Anyone else run into this problem?

I can't get my bluetooth mic to work for some reason. In xmb settings it picks up my voice fine, but in game it shows that I don't even a mic. Anyone else run into this problem?
Did you check that you have voice chat enabled in the Dust system options as well as push to talk turned off? If the problem still persists, I have this issue every time where if I don't turn my mic on right as I start up Dust 514, it won't work. Hope that helps, and hope they fix whatever is causing this issue.

The Light

Yea I have everything voice chat enabled and push to talk off. Today was a bit better. I noticed today that i was able to use voice in most of the pre-battle lobby, but once the battle started it stops working. It only worked in battle once and it was glorious. Sure hope this issue is fixed.

Hey guys, this week from tomorrow to the end of Tuesday is double skill points week! This is a great time to start Dust 514 if you have not already. Use this link to create your character (do so before actually starting up Dust 514 on your account) and you will receive a 7 day active skill point booster, which increases your points earned by 50%. That means for you will be gaining 300% the normal skill points as you start your mercenary career. Not bad.

https://dust514.com/recruit/RJivLX/

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, this week from tomorrow to the end of Tuesday is double skill points week! This is a great time to start Dust 514 if you have not already. Use this link to create your character (do so before actually starting up Dust 514 on your account) and you will receive a 7 day active skill point booster, which increases your points earned by 50%. That means for you will be gaining 300% the normal skill points as you start your mercenary career. Not bad.

https://dust514.com/recruit/RJivLX/

Do they intend to make this a regular event?

Do they intend to make this a regular event?

I do not know, but I hope so. The link said expect for SP events in the coming months, and we had one last month. Perhaps one week each month there will be an SP event, that'd be sweet.

Come to think of it, the last SP event was the first full Dust week* of July, and this SP event is the first full Dust week of August. Perhaps a trend?

*Dust week defined as starting Wednesday and ending Tuesday where the SP cap is in effect.

Kerub

Banned
Hi!

I've got a promotion code with some kind of content for Dust 514, but I'm not playing the game so I won't use it. It might be EU only, not sure about that. Quote this post to see the code if you want it.

I just re-downloaded this. I've got a 7 month old character with lots of accumulated skill points, etc. It looks like the did away w/ "classes" and you choose your class by which drop suit you wear? (I could swear I had to choose when I made him - Logistics I think it was.) That all seems gone now.

Is there a "beginners guide" anywhere?

I just re-downloaded this. I've got a 7 month old character with lots of accumulated skill points, etc. It looks like the did away w/ "classes" and you choose your class by which drop suit you wear? (I could swear I had to choose when I made him - Logistics I think it was.) That all seems gone now.

The best place to look is the training grounds section of the main forums: https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=topics&f=899

There's also a thread with a compilation of player made guides and resources: https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=86735&find=unread

https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=20621&find=unread

My advice short and simple would be figure out which role you want to be (Assault, Logistics, Scout, Commando, or Heavy) then figure out which race you want to use to pursue that role (Caldari for shields, Gallente for Armor, Amarr for balanced, and Minmatar for speed). Then find a weapon you want and skill into that.A lot of this can be done through testing out militia equipment first. Get it up to advanced level then spend the rest of your points in core skills.

How many skill points do you have? And do you have any idea for what style of player you want to be? I could help give you advice on where to place it.

https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=20621&find=unread

My advice short and simple would be figure out which role you want to be (Assault, Logistics, Scout, Commando, or Heavy) then figure out which race you want to use to pursue that role (Caldari for shields, Gallente for Armor, Amarr for balanced, and Minmatar for speed). Then find a weapon you want and skill into that.A lot of this can be done through testing out militia equipment first. Get it up to advanced level then spend the rest of your points in core skills.

How many skill points do you have? And do you have any idea for what style of player you want to be? I could help give you advice on where to place it.

Hi thanks. I'm re-rolling Caldari. Going Assault or Logistics (don't know yet.) And not sure about which weapon? Looks like Assault Rifle (as opposed to the laser-based variants)?

Any tips appreciated on how to start on prudent skill spending. Assuming shields, since Caldari.

Hi thanks. I'm re-rolling Caldari. Going Assault or Logistics (don't know yet.) And not sure about which weapon? Looks like Assault Rifle (as opposed to the laser-based variants)?

Any tips appreciated on how to start on prudent skill spending. Assuming shields, since Caldari.
Make 'Complex Shield Extenders' a priority. They're most effective upgrade of any module, when compared to the lower tier extenders. (66hp vs 33hp)

When starting a new character I'd skill into this even before advanced weapons. Although it would wise to upgrade your dropsuit and assault rifle from militia, to standard level, first. Only upgrade the Electronics and Engineering skills when you haven't got enough CPU or PG to fit the items you want.

How many skill points do you have to allocate? Since you've said you've had this character for 7 months, I'll assume you have 4.7 million skill points at the least from passive accrual.

If you decide to go Caldari Assault, I would say

Dropsuit Command I: 6,220 SP
Caldari Medium Frame III: 273,600 SP
Caldari Assault III: 547,200 SP
Dropsuit Upgrades II: 24,870 SP
Shield Upgrades IV: 310,920 SP
Shield Extension V: 932,760 SP
Armor Upgrades IV: 310,920 SP
Armor Repair Systems I: 18,600 SP
Dropsuit Core Upgrades II: 49,740 SP
Dropsuit Electronics IV: 777,300 SP
Dropsuit Engineering III: 342,000 SP
Weaponry I: 6,220 SP
Explosives I: 12,440 SP
Grenadier I: 24,880 SP
Demolitions I: 12,440 SP
Light Weapon Operations I: 12,440 SP
Assault Rifle Operations V: 621,840 SP
Assault Rifle Proficiency III: 342,000 SP
Sidearm Operations I: 12,440 SP
Submachine Gun Operations I: 12,440 SP

Total: 4,775,690 SP
If you do not have that much I would reduce the Armor Upgrades level.

Then go to your fitting, and do

Caldari Assault C/1-Series (advanced suit)
3x Complex Shield Extender
1x Basic Armor Repairer
1x Basic CPU Upgrade
GEK-38 Assault Rifle
Submachine Gun
Locus Grenade
Remote Explosive

This should put you at 284/298 CPU and 51/51 PG, so just barely able to fit it. The fit will cost 36,735 ISK a pop which is a really nice price for such a good advanced fit. You will have,

483 shield
144 armor
28.75 shield recharge rate
5 second shield delay
8 second shield depleted delay
2.1 armor repair rate

Along with a powerful assault rifle with those proficiency levels. Note that I did do this with a community made skill planner and fitting tool, but I do not believe it has been updated for the recent changes to the Caldari Logistics so I'm not sure what to tell you for that. Essentially you'd be using a lot of the same skills, except instead of a heavy focus in the weaponry skills you'd shift all those points to equipment and dive into the shield regulation skill to take advantage of it's passive bonus of shield regulator efficiency.

ALSO VERY IMPORTANT, if you go with this skill plan I set up for you, note that you'd be stuck with that assault rifle for a long time. I highly recommend that you make an alt and quickly skill into scrambler rifles to see if you like those better (personally I do). Also the Caldari Rail Rifle and Minmatar Combat Rifle are rumored to be releasing soon, so you might just want to hold out and wait for those. Lastly I gave you the submachine gun for the sidearm, but you may find the scrambler pistol of flaylock pistol more to your liking. Also the Magsec SMG should be releasing soon. Either way I don't have you investing many points into the sidearm so it's not much to worry about. Also gave you remote explosives for equipment because you have the spare CPU for them and they are very fun and great for protecting bases in skirmish.

Make 'Complex Shield Extenders' a priority. They're most effective upgrade of any module, when compared to the lower tier extenders. (66hp vs 33hp)

When starting a new character I'd skill into this even before advanced weapons. Although it would wise to upgrade your dropsuit and assault rifle from militia, to standard level, first. Only upgrade the Electronics and Engineering skills when you haven't got enough CPU or PG to fit the items you want.

Awesome! Thanks. For the weapon, assuming I go Assault, it should be Assault Rifle, which is a hybrid weapon, and that gets a reloading bonus from the Caldari Assault suit? (Am I doing this right?)

How many skill points do you have to allocate? Since you've said you've had this character for 7 months, I'll assume you have 4.7 million skill points at the least from passive accrual.

If you decide to go Caldari Assault, I would say....

Holy moly! Thanks so much for that. The 7 month old character is Amarr, the SP were over 5 million, but I'm going to re-roll Caldari (and follow this plan!) Hopefully when it's time to spec into a weapon, the Caldari Assault gun is here!

Awesome! Thanks. For the weapon, assuming I go Assault, it should be Assault Rifle, which is a hybrid weapon, and that gets a reloading bonus from the Caldari Assault suit? (Am I doing this right?)
The Caldari Assault bonus has changed to Shield Extender Efficiency.

Holy moly! Thanks so much for that. The 7 month old character is Amarr, the SP were over 5 million, but I'm going to re-roll Caldari (and follow this plan!) Hopefully when it's time to spec into a weapon, the Caldari Assault gun is here!
No problem! And perhaps what you can do is stop your assault rifle skills at Assault Rifle Operation Level III since you won't be using anything more than the GEK-38 in this plan anyways, I only leveled it up further for the efficiency. If you keep it at III though it won't be nearly as many skill points and all you'd lose is 9% damage output, but will have those points saved for when the Caldari rail rifle is released. And lastly Armor Upgrades Level II, III, and IV are barely increasing your armor yet cost a lot of points (bring it from 126 to 144, I believe). So that is a judgement call, you may want to put those points elsewhere but I am a fan of core skills.

Looks like a Caldari Rail pistol of some kind was also announced at the last Fan Fest.
Yup, it's being called the Bolt Pistol. It will be a slow firing high damage pistol, they relate it to the desert eagle. I have a feeling the Magsec SMG (Caldari rail smg) will be releasing first however.

Yup, it's being called the Bolt Pistol. It will be a slow firing high damage pistol, they relate it to the desert eagle. I have a feeling the Magsec SMG (Caldari rail smg) will be releasing first however.

I tried the ghetto SMG last night. Yeah, totally in love w/ SMG vs. pistol. I wish CCP would release a timeline for the releases.

Easily the worst f2p game I have ever played, 2/3 matches im again a group clan who just spawn kills us after dominating us with better gear.

Cant believe how bad this game is on newbies

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm guessing you didn't play the beta when I basically said the same thing but without the clantards clogging up matches. Better equipment than the default basically ruined any chances of this game having success. Double-so when you have to buy said better items and prevent dying so you don't lose them.

There is no denying that the new player experience is pretty bad right now with how they throw you to the wolves. If you can stick with it past the first couple weeks however it gets much better as you start to unlock better gear and improve your survivability.

I pretty much hated this game the first time I tried it as well and deleted it, but now its one of my favorite of the generation.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
There is no denying that the new player experience is pretty bad right now with how they throw you to the wolves. If you can stick with it past the first couple weeks however it gets much better as you start to unlock better gear and improve your survivability.

It's not just "new players." It's the game design itself. It wouldn't be bad if you got to keep some items that are better than the default. But you don't. And that's what made me stop playing
besides how bad the gunplay is
. You grind for better weapons, die and lose them only to continue to die because someone has a better weapon with faster/higher rate of fire/damage than you.

I'm guessing you didn't play the beta when I basically said the same thing but without the clantards clogging up matches. Better equipment than the default basically ruined any chances of this game having success. Double-so when you have to buy said better items and prevent dying so you don't lose them.
You do not have to buy anything, this is a common fault that many reviews have been stating which simply is not true. I suppose if you are dying a lot its easy to look at aurum items and scream "PAY TO WIN" but let's look here,

1. The best guns in the game (officer weapons) cannot be bought, and the free guy has just as much chance of getting them as anyone else
2. All the stuff that can be bought has a free equivalent (that costs ISK, the fake game currency)
3. If you are not paying anything, it will take under two weeks to max out a specific weapon skill and unlock the prototype version. If you are paying, it will take one week to unlock the prototype version equivalent but you still won't have the added passive bonus of maxing out the skill and will have to pay something like 3 cents for each copy of the weapon.

It's not just "new players." It's the game design itself. It wouldn't be bad if you got to keep some items that are better than the default. But you don't. And that's what made me stop playing
besides how bad the gunplay is
. You grind for better weapons, die and lose them only to continue to die because someone has a better weapon with faster/higher rate of fire/damage than you.

The gun play is really good right now with all the performance updates the game has received. And you seriously can't be complaining about the fact that every item in the game is an asset that is consumed each time you die, you are making a much bigger deal about it than it really is.

You are given 4 militia fitting which costs 0 ISK
A standard fitting (bottom tier) costs about 8,000 ISK on average
An advanced fitting (middle tier) costs about 35,000 ISK on average
A prototype fitting (top tier) costs about 150,000 ISK on average

You make about 300,000 ISK on average per match. This means if you are using standard fittings, which you will during your new player experience, you can die nearly 40 times and still make a profit (read: you are always going to make a profit). If you use advanced fittings, which most people do, you can die about 8 times and still make a profit which is very doable. If you are using prototype, you can die twice and break even, but very rarely do you see people use prototype in anything other than corporation battles. And if for whatever reason you run out of ISK, you still have your free fittings.

All it does is prevent you bad battle tactics (such as lame zerge tactics) because you actually have a reason to care about how many times you die besides a meaningless KDR. It also means that just because you have one item unlocked the items below it become meaningless. I personally have a lot of prototype gear unlocked, but I still only run advanced stuff. Since the skills to unlock items also grant passive bonuses, this also doesn't mean I've wasted my time leveling up the skills.

Finally as a closing statement, just because you use a higher tier does not mean it is instant win. I can run around in my standard fittings and kill people in prototype fittings based on FPS knowledge and game knowledge alone. The fittings give you the edge, but it ultimately still comes down to who is the better gamer.

Honestly I feel like the game would be a lot better if new characters created had starting SP that scaled based on total amount of passive SP accrued since Chromosome. I'm not saying it needs to be 1:1 but it'd certainly be nice to have more than 500k that they give you at the start as that will only become increasingly irrelevant as time goes on.

Beyond that I'd argue that the game needs to do the following -
1. Begin to close the gap vast chasm between Standard Gear and Prototype gear
2. Restrict gear based on game mode (FW / PC would be free game, random battle restricted maybe to advanced gear at the max)

1. The best guns in the game (officer weapons) cannot be bought, and the free guy has just as much chance of getting them as anyone else

3. If you are not paying anything, it will take under two weeks to max out a specific weapon skill and unlock the prototype version. If you are paying, it will take one week to unlock the prototype version equivalent but you still won't have the added passive bonus of maxing out the skill and will have to pay something like 3 cents for each copy of the weapon.

This comes off as misleading to me. Yeah, you can FIND a lot of the officer weapons if you're a newbie but it doesn't mean jack if it's collecting dust in your inventory because you don't have the required SP to stick into the skill in order to EQUIP it. And yeah, you can dump all of your SP into a single weapon when you first get into game to use the stuff that's killing you but you'll be lacking in literally every other area because of it. Effectively it does nothing for the newer player and only widens the gap between those who've been accruing SP since Chromosome (Beta) and those who haven't.

The gun play is really good right now with all the performance updates the game has received.

Tell it to the Shotgun users, I mean if this were truly the case then I couldn't imagine why a major focus of the upcoming update is aiming of all things. There's a very real problem with matchmaking as well and as I think about it it's probably because at every point in closed beta where the player base was getting to the point where proto gear was becoming dominant there would be an SP reset and everything would be put on the same level again. I don't believe CCP ever genuinely believed that proto gear would become as prevalent as it is in every mode of the game because they thought the costs would be prohibitive to that end. What I hope this has shown them is that you can't balance godlike gear with a higher price tag. These are things that needed to be addressed and ironed out while the game was solidly in its closed beta format yet here we are going into Uprising 1.4 and we still need to be getting critical updates to the core game.

Finally as a closing statement, just because you use a higher tier does not mean it is instant win. I can run around in my standard fittings and kill people in prototype fittings based on FPS knowledge and game knowledge alone. The fittings give you the edge, but it ultimately still comes down to who is the better gamer.

Oh, please. Yes, it may not mean an instant win but unless you have a squad behind you and Mr.Proto has found himself alone in a vast sea of Raspberries he's going to have enough time to react to you shooting him, turn around, and melt your face off with his Duvolle before you're even past his shields.

This is why I Murder Taxi.

Go on ahead and scare off all the potential new guys DiscoShark :p

I admit there are thinks lacking, but a lot of the opinions here come from near the beginning of beta or right when uprising released. Yes the gun game still has room to improve but it's miles ahead of where it was at back then. And yes it does take a little long to get your core skills up so you can run around with a decent amount of armor and shield, but if you ever do make it past that hump then it is like I said two weeks to use whatever weapon you want, including any officer weapons you've collected.

Go on ahead and scare off all the potential new guys DiscoShark :p

I admit there are thinks lacking, but a lot of the opinions here come from near the beginning of beta or right when uprising released. Yes the gun game still has room to improve but it's miles ahead of where it was at back then. And yes it does take a little long to get your core skills up so you can run around with a decent amount of armor and shield, but if you ever do make it past that hump then it is like I said two weeks to use whatever weapon you want, including any officer weapons you've collected.

Haha, it's certainly not my intention to scare off the new guys! If I didn't enjoy the game then I wouldn't be playing it as often as I do but it's also why I want these shortcomings to the game addressed as soon as possible. I'm hopeful that with the new update system they've implemented we'll see the game finally start to live up to the potential it truly has.

But the core skill hump you mentioned is pretty much the main problem with the core design of the game in it's current state. We've seen in EVE with recent updates to T1 ships being made much more viable and able to hold their own against their T3 counterparts and I'd just like to see the same approach taken with Prototype v. Standard in Dust 514.

Haha, it's certainly not my intention to scare off the new guys! If I didn't enjoy the game then I wouldn't be playing it as often as I do but it's also why I want these shortcomings to the game addressed as soon as possible. I'm hopeful that with the new update system they've implemented we'll see the game finally start to live up to the potential it truly has.

But the core skill hump you mentioned is pretty much the main problem with the core design of the game in it's current state. We've seen in EVE with recent updates to T1 ships being made much more viable and able to hold their own against their T3 counterparts and I'd just like to see the same approach taken with Prototype v. Standard in Dust 514.
Agreed. If anything the standard gear should have better base stats than prototype gear, but prototype would have more module slots. That way the standard gear is still just as good, but the prototype gear allows you to customize.

So do you think it's safe to skill SMG skills, ie, the Magsec will be a "submachine gun" class weapon and not its own category? What about the assault rail gun? (Assault rifle?)

So do you think it's safe to skill SMG skills, ie, the Magsec will be a "submachine gun" class weapon and not its own category? What about the assault rail gun? (Assault rifle?)
The submachine gun and Magsec SMG will indeed be separate skills, they probably should rename the "submachine gun" to something more specific. Same with the rail rifle and "assault rifle."

There are rumours surfacing of a PS4 Dust reveal at the Sony conference today... hold me GAF!

EDIT: I guess it was Valkyrie which was being hinted towards, although why did the Dust twitter tease it earlier with #dust514 in their tweet? Anyway, there should at least be info for Uprising 1.4 to come in the next few days and maybe some more future features as well.

There are rumours surfacing of a PS4 Dust reveal at the Sony conference today... hold me GAF!

Nothing at the Sony conference. CCP did confirm they are going to be at Gamescom though. They announced a new game, EVE Valkyrie which has previously been known as EVR back when it was still a small project. Also said they will be announcing some new stuff for Dust 514.

EDIT: In response to your edit which hit right as I posted this,
https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1198844#post1198844
GM Grave said:

Patch notes tomorrow as well. The new Recent Updates screen looks great. Also the new map 'Craters' is an entirely new megatexture so we should have some nice new terrain that stands out from the current map varients.

BigDes

So I downloaded this yesterday, still stuck on the starter maps but I like it so far

Upgraded my skills enough to get a scrambler rifle which I understand to be some sort of DMR battle rifle

Still don't really have a clue what I'm doing though

Uprising 1.4 Patch Notes

Neocom
* We have introduced a new “Recent Updates” screen. This screen will be shown the first time a player logs in each day (with the day rolling over during downtime). It contains: mail notifications, SP progression, augmentation countdown and a main panel that switches between market, event news and daily bonus
* Added timestamps in chat
* Polished pop-up windows, tuned background and blur effects
* Hooked up the end of match summary screen for the previous battle to the Neocom. Players can now access the last match's stats and player list

Controls
* Mouse rotation speed caps have been removed
* Mouse sensitivity settings have been updated
* Replaced old mouse smoothing with a new system
* Tuned radial menus for mouse settings (weapon/equipment select) to make them easier to use
* Overhauled, retuned and reactivated aim assists for the control pad

Movement
* Fixed a bug that was making dropsuit strafe speeds too fast
* Increased the strafe speeds for all dropsuits from their values in Uprising 1.1 (net result is slower speeds than Uprising 1.3)
* Removed rotation modifier on heavy frames - all frames can now rotate at the same speed

HUD
* Added squad leader icon for player tags
* Added RDV drop off location icon for HUD
* Shared passive scanner vision for squads disabled (results of active scanners are still shared with squads)
* Team member chevrons now only visible when they are in line of sight. Squad chevrons remain visible and will still stick to the edge of the screen
* HP bars and name tag visible only for what you are aiming/firing at
* Hit indication from allied sources when friendly fire is disabled
* Updated name tags displayed while in the War Barge

Vehicles
* Updated LAV free cam view when using the mouse so that it is more dynamic
* New vehicle/infantry collision system & damage tuning to lower the effect of the 'murder taxi'
* Improved dropship camera view
* Improved turret aiming and camera view

Weapons
* The Amarr Laser Rifle has a new red-dot sight, replacing the old iron-sight
* Increased ADS (aim down sights) aiming speed with the Amarr Laser Rifle
* Swarm Launcher base lock-on time has been increased to 1.4 from 1.2 and its fire interval has been reduced from 2 to 0.3

Visuals
* Improved animation LOD switching for better visual display
* Added new vehicle shield and vehicle armor effects
* Optimizations made to vehicle models and dropship thruster effects to decrease performance cost
* Made Visual improvements to SSAO, rays and dynamic tone mapping
* Added HUD translucency option
* Environment Mood color values reset to match the corresponding level moods
* Fixed particle lights so weapons and objects around the player will be illuminated when firing a weapon
* Fixed shield impact effects for small handheld weapons so it’s visually easier to recognize if you are inflicting shield or armor damage

Modules/Equipment
* Adjusted Armor Plate attributes - HP bonus of 85/110/135 (Basic/Enhanced/Complex) and speed penalties of 2%/3%/5% (with full skill bonuses this equates to 93.5/121/148.5)
* Adjusted Ferroscale Plate attributes - HP bonus of 35/50/75 (with full skill bonuses this equates to 38.5/55/82.5)
* Adjusted Reactive Plate attributes - HP bonus of 25/40/60 and speed penalties of 0%/1%/1% (with full skill bonuses this equates to 27.5/44/66)
* Made deployed enemy equipment detectable with the active scanner
* Active Scanner now causes detected objects to pulse on the HUD/minimap/overview map so that you can more easily identify scan results
* Updated equipment deployment system to prevent deployment failures

Maps/Environments
* Implemented Surface Infrastructure Sets so now medium and small socket components are defined by the large socket component in the map
* Introduction of the “Research Facility" Surface Infrastructure, comprising one large outpost with several integrated medium and small sockets
* Three new battlegrounds in a brand new mission terrain: Impact Ridge, Fracture Road, Border Gulch
* Added new night mood layer

Matchmaking
* Matchmaking has been rebuilt from the ground up to offer more balanced matches, more flexibility, and future proofing
* Matchmaking will now vary wait times in order to try and build better teams
* In conjunction with the new matchmaking system, the Battle Finder has been rebuilt to take advantage of the new matchmaking features
* Instant Battles are now all combined into Public Contracts; players can now select which game modes they wish to queue for allowing them to now queue for multiple game modes
* Factional Warfare battles are now available as a queue known as Faction Contracts; players can choose which faction(s) they wish to queue for
* Corporation Battles are now found under Corporation Contracts
* Implemented idle timer to prevent AFK farming in battle ground or MCC. Players not performing any PVP action in a certain period of time will be kicked out of the game

Skills
* New daily activity bonus: 3000SP for the first day, increasing by 500SP every consecutive day. Daily bonus is capped at 6000SP (attained after 7 days of consecutive logins)
* All handheld weapon reload skills now have a cost multiplier of x3 (down from x6) and their skill book ISK price reduced to 203,000 from 774,000
* All heavy weapon reload skills now provide a 5% bonus, up from 3%
* The Forge Gun, Mass Driver, Swarm Launcher, and Plasma Cannon ammo skills now provide 1 extra unit of ammo for each level of the skill (for a maximum of 5) instead of a % bonus per level
* The HMG Operation skill bonus has been changed from reducing heat build-up to reducing recoil by 5% per level
* The Swarm Launcher Operation skill bonus has been changed from increasing the clip size to reducing the lock-on time by 5%
* The Scrambler Rifle Operation skill bonus has been changed from reducing charge time to increasing cooldown speed by 5% (does not affect overheat cooldown speed). This affects the base and Assault variants

Corporations
* Corporation tax: Corporations can now set a tax rate. The tax rate is the same for both EVE and DUST players in the corporation and can be set in either DUST or EVE. To set the tax rate in DUST you must be either a director or CEO of the corporation and go to edit the corporation details; the same location you would edit the corporation description. Tax is set as a percentage and will be deducted from all corp members whenever they receive income from a battle. Only rewards of 100,000 ISK or more will be taxed

Starmap
* The Starmap now has better planet rendering
* Colors on the Starmap have been reassigned and NPC empires will now have their appropriate colors

Bug fixes and polish
* Fixed a bug on vehicles that prevented them from using the correct view distance at certain angles
* More hit detection improvements
* Various visual effect bug fixes
* Resolved voice chat connectivity issues related to Vivox

So I downloaded this yesterday, still stuck on the starter maps but I like it so far

Upgraded my skills enough to get a scrambler rifle which I understand to be some sort of DMR battle rifle

Still don't really have a clue what I'm doing though
In a nutshell,

Ambush - Kill people, occasionally supply depots (get ammo, change fits) and installation turrets will drop from orbit and you can hack them to give your team an edge.

Skirmish - Hack the null cannons (A, B, C, etc) to fire missiles at enemy MCC. First team to blow up the other MCC (or deplete the other teams clones) wins. MCC health is displayed on the side of the radar. Clone count is displayed directly underneath that. Hack supply depots, installation turrets, and CRUs (spawn points) to give your team an edge. You can also spawn at null cannons, but not when they are being hacked (flashing).

Domination - Same thing as Skirmish except focused on one null cannon and you cannot spawn on the null cannon so drop uplinks (deployable spawn points that fit in equipment slots) are important.

Dropsuit fitting - The most important modules to equip are armor, shield, and weapon upgrade mods. All other mods aren't balanced well yet IMO and aren't worth investing into at the moment unless you want something really niche. Everything has a CPU and PG value, and your dropsuit can only fit a certain amount of CPU and PG to keeps suits balanced.

Skill tree - Pick your favorite dropsuit (either by looks, stats, bonuses, lore, or whatever which can all be viewed in the market) and work on unlocking the advanced version. Find a weapon you like and work on unlocking that advanced version. Then spend the bulk of your next several skill points in the Dropsuit Upgrades skill tree to get passive bonuses like increased armor, shield, CPU and PG, sprint speed, and such as well as unlocking better modules.

Glad you're liking it so far.

Top Bottom