• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dust 514 |OT| You don't need to pay to win

Would getting some profile dampeners a good idea? I play as logi and trying to stay under the radar when i roll with my corp, but seems like everyone has active scanners now.
Profile dampening can be pretty useful with the amount of scanning at the moment, but you need to calculate the type and number of dampeners to avoid specific strength scanners. A good overview of the scan profile mechanics (with a useful equation) can be found here: http://wiki.dust514.info/index.php?title=Game_Mechanics#Scan_Profile Essentially the way scanning works is that if your dropsuit dB is under the scanner dB, then you won't be detected.

At minimum you'll need to reduce you're profile to below 36dB to avoid advanced scanners, but ideally you need to get under 28 dB to block prototype scanners. There is a super strength scanner at 15dB (the Duvolle Focused) although not many people use this type, and you'll only stay scanned for 5s anyway.

So since you play as a logi I had a look at some of the dampening combinations you could use to avoid advanced and proto scanners.

To avoid a 36dB adv scanner you will need: lvl 1 Profile Dampening skill + 2x Basic Profile Dampener OR lvl 5 Profile Dampening skill + 1x Complex Profile Dampener
To avoid a 28dB pro scanner you will need: lvl 1 Profile Dampening skill + 3x Basic Profile Dampener OR lvl 3 Profile Dampening skill + 2x Enhanced Profile Dampener

The Light

Thank you for those dampening combinations. lvl 5 dampening skill + complex profile dampener seems to be working well.

Now it seems voice chat is down again for me. It's weird that others in my corp can hear others and talk, but i cannot. If i try turning chat off then back on I'll get kicked back to character select.

How active is this game?
http://eve-offline.net/?server=dust

For the past several months it's been around 3000 players online at any given time, but the past couple weeks it's been peaking at around 4500. Again, that's not how many active players there are but how many are signed in at any point in time.

Not the greatest but not too bad either. It's enough to where you always feel like you're playing with different people. The is a pretty substantial update coming this month, probably the biggest update the game has ever seen, so that should get the numbers up a bit as well.

http://eve-offline.net/?server=dust

For the past several months it's been around 3000 players online at any given time, but the past couple weeks it's been peaking at around 4500. Again, that's not how many active players there are but how many are signed in at any point in time.

Not the greatest but not too bad either. It's enough to where you always feel like you're playing with different people. The is a pretty substantial update coming this month, probably the biggest update the game has ever seen, so that should get the numbers up a bit as well.

I do wonder what they have in store aside from the infantry remix. Love having racial parity and such but they surprised us in 1.7 with the FW changes and I'm wondering if they have anything else similar in store. There's the Caldari Production Facility which is probably rearing itself up to go after missing the last patch and ... aside from that I have no clue!

I wonder when CCP is going to stop making the long range weapons objectively better than their short ranged variants too. Nerf the Rail Rifle, double check those Magsec SMG stats, and do something about the Ion Pistol's hilariously underpowered stats. The Small Blaster Turret is similarly gimped compared to the Small Railgun turret as an anti-infantry turret as well, which is sort of insane to me.

I finally went back in and tried a bit of DUST again after a year or so of not really paying much attention. It looks like the performance is really shaping up. It's no where near what I consider "playable" for a competitive shooter, but they're getting there. I was actually having some fun with a DS4. I'm too lazy to plug in KB/M everytime I want to try DUST, but a DS4 is easy enough. It improves the game tenfold and blows the DS3 out of the water.

Speaking of the DS4, I was messing around with Warframe a bit on the PS4 and it pains to think that I'm not playing that in DUST. CCP has no idea how to implement PVE into the world of EVE, but its staring them right in the face. I can only imagine the possibilities in DUST with all of the amazing art assets they have. Doing some casual PVE in DUST would be a perfect segue into EVE that CCP has been searching for.

Ugh.

I finally went back in and tried a bit of DUST again after a year or so of not really paying much attention. It looks like the performance is really shaping up. It's no where near what I consider "playable" for a competitive shooter, but they're getting there. I was actually having some fun with a DS4. I'm too lazy to plug in KB/M everytime I want to try DUST, but a DS4 is easy enough. It improves the game tenfold and blows the DS3 out of the water.

Speaking of the DS4, I was messing around with Warframe a bit on the PS4 and it pains to think that I'm not playing that in DUST. CCP has no idea how to implement PVE into the world of EVE, but its staring them right in the face. I can only imagine the possibilities in DUST with all of the amazing art assets they have. Doing some casual PVE in DUST would be a perfect segue into EVE that CCP has been searching for.

Ugh.

More or less agreed, with some significant staff shakeups though the game has been in a pretty serious state of flux up until very recently. There are rumbling that the new captain of the ship is bringing some "exciting things" to the table though so hopefully we'll have a more solid roadmap about where this game is progressing in the future soon. PvE is totallly vital though, especially when you look at all the possibilities we could be seeing when you add EVE interaction to that equation. Like you said, the framework is there, CCP just needs to capitalize on it.

More or less agreed, with some significant staff shakeups though the game has been in a pretty serious state of flux up until very recently. There are rumbling that the new captain of the ship is bringing some "exciting things" to the table though so hopefully we'll have a more solid roadmap about where this game is progressing in the future soon. PvE is totallly vital though, especially when you look at all the possibilities we could be seeing when you add EVE interaction to that equation. Like you said, the framework is there, CCP just needs to capitalize on it.

Yeah, and I didn't even mean the art in EVE. DUST has amazing art direction. I love what they did with the art in this game. This is sci-fi done correctly. Imagine exploring a derelict space station and fighting off some rogue drones to get implant blueprints.

Wormhole space.

CCP PLEASE.

Yeah, and I didn't even mean the art in EVE. DUST has amazing art direction. I love what they did with the art in this game. This is sci-fi done correctly. Imagine exploring a derelict space station and fighting off some rogue drones to get implant blueprints.

Wormhole space.

CCP PLEASE.
I especially love the art and animation of the scrambler rifle, and particularly this,
scrambler-rifle.jpg

As far as setting up all these various scenarios with PVE and such is you have to be careful you don't create an situation where you have players in instances of the same thing. One of the big points of emphasis with New Eden is that it is a single shard universe. Even with our current public contracts they just right it off as various skirmishes of cloned soldiers in remote areas of high sec planets. If you do PVE, you can't have it where everyone is going to the same space station and getting the same blueprints over and over again, because at that point it is no longer single shard. Not saying that there can't be fun and interesting PVE that you can do over and over again, just that they have to put a little thought into how they implement it.

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean. In EVE PVE sites spawn everywhere in space. There are also permanent derelict stations in space around the galaxy. There are many ways to implement a PVE aspect to avoid everyone in the same station.

https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=146871
If one million clones are killed this weekend everyone who participated at least 10 matches will receive one million skill points. That is pretty significant. Get to playing and killing, or dying. All the same.

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean. In EVE PVE sites spawn everywhere in space. There are also permanent derelict stations in space around the galaxy. There are many ways to implement a PVE aspect to avoid everyone in the same station.

Ay, just making sure that wherever PVE spawns it actually exists within the universe and no one else is at the same spot just in a different instance, which is what a lot of games will do.

https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=146871
If one million clones are killed this weekend everyone who participated at least 10 matches will receive one million skill points. That is pretty significant. Get to playing and killing, or dying. All the same.

Ay, just making sure that wherever PVE spawns it actually exists within the universe and no one else is at the same spot just in a different instance, which is what a lot of games will do.

Giving away SP just feels wrong to me in every way possible. I don't like this.

Giving away SP just feels wrong to me in every way possible. I don't like this.
It's not simply giving SP away, and CCP has been doing some sort of bonus skill point event once a month since the game launched. I'm sure there will also be a bonus SP event some time in April as well.

I actually like this a lot because 1 million SP isn't really going to help the long time players that much, but it will help all the newer players a ton.

Heavies :

Holy crap do I love the finalized designs of the Gallente and Caldari heavies. Comparing it to some of the original stuff we got at Fanfest last year :

There definitely seems to be a better balance between lower body and upper body pieces. With the Caldari heavy in particular looking far more streamlined than the incarnation seen above. I'm most certainly a fan of the redesigned helmet pieces for both heavies as well with the Caldari and Gallente heavies losing their lumpy head syndrome with something that looks way more ergonomically pleasing. The choice to get eyeless on the Gallente variation is something I can get behind as well.

Pending more information about how Cloak is going to effect the game I'd still put my money on Sentinels/Commandos ruling 1.8. Overarching TTK changes (prof. / damage mods / base damage on rifles) combined with the Resistance bonuses on the Sentinel, unchanged HMG, and the free 10% damage on the Commandos makes me think that there's really not going to be much merit to using any Assault suit in comparison.

Oh and it just got a lot harder to shoot someone out of an LAV too.

Scouts :

I was initially skeptical that anyone would bother going with any Scout suit other than the Gallente for Stealth and the Minmatar for Melee/Hack but it occurs to me that the Caldari scout having a passive range bonus would make it the go-to variation for Sniping as you can sense people far before they can get the jump on you. I was considering speccing into Sniper rifles to give it a go on my alt as a result but I came to the realization that I'm just far better off using my LAV as a roaming Tactical Sniper platform given how powerful Small Railgun Turrets are. Still though, with the confirmation that we're getting a Dropsuit Command respec I'm totally using the next couple weeks to play around with a bunch of different suits to see what I like. Im EXTREMELY happy that Scouts are getting a buff to their slots though as their current slot layout is just ridiculously limiting, 2/2 layout on an ADV Min Light is just shit in its current state. The Gallente ADV Scout (also 2/2 but has higher base health) is objectively better in its current pre-1.8 state.

Still think the Amarr scout is in a weird place, though the ability to run for the duration of a cloak may be more useful than I'm giving it credit for.

---

Seriously though, what's the point of going Assault in 1.8? Is the better slot layout going to mean anything compared to the inherent damage bonus and high base health of the Commando? Are Proto Assaults going to be able to stack more HP than the commandos? Will it matter compared to having access to 2 Light Weapons that you can switch between given the TTK changes that (hopefully) will end up making a second weapon more useful?

And why is the Magsec SMG so hilariously good?

Assaults have a smaller hit box as well as faster moving, particularly strafing, opposed to Commandos. There is still good reason to use them, especially Amarr and Minmatar assaults given their racial bonuses. The Gallente and Caldari assault racial bonuses sort of suck.

Assaults have a smaller hit box as well as faster moving, particularly strafing, opposed to Commandos. There is still good reason to use them, especially Amarr and Minmatar assaults given their racial bonuses. The Gallente and Caldari assault racial bonuses sort of suck.

I dunno, were this the pre aim assist game I think you'd have a compelling point about the assaults being more maneuverable but as is I don't really think it's much more difficult to hit an assault than to hit a heavy. The Amarr/Min assault definitely have their niches and I forgot about it when I was writing about the assault class as a whole feeling weaker than Commando/Sentinel. I'd be interested in seeing any sort of real breakdown on the effect of the heat buildup compared to just the straight damage buff when you start factoring in things like proficiency and damage mod bonus changes. 10% base omni damage for a weapon seems like it'll be way more significant an increase than it is right now, hence my hesitation about the direction they took their racial bonuses.

We'll see.

https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=148826&find=unread

CCP Logibro said:
To be deployed on 2014-03-25

Please note: A full refund of all skill points and ISK spent on skillbooks in the Dropsuit Command skill tree will take place when the patch is deployed.

Path to Game and Overall UI
* Inline skill book purchasing added back to the marketplace.

Gameplay
* War Point rewards for vehicle damage have been reintroduced.

Dropsuits
* Added Caldari, Gallente and Minmatar Heavy Frames. This includes Basic, Sentinel and Commando roles for each faction.
* Added Caldari and Amarr Light Frames. This includes Basic and Scout roles for each faction.
* Base stats have been adjusted for all Medium Frames. This includes Basic, Assault and Logistics roles.
* For full details of the dropsuit changes, please see the dev blogs available on the DUST 514 website.

Weapons
* Added Caldari Magsec SMG.
* Added Caldari Bolt Pistol.
* Added Gallente Ion Pistol.
* Mass Driver:
- Increased base direct/splash damage from 242/116 to 300/145.
* Laser Rifle:
- Increased effective range and increased damage at short range, reduced heat cost at ADV and PRO tiers.
- Improved zoom FOV.
* Time-to-kill (TTK) improvements:
- Proficiency skills of handheld weapons now grant 3% damage per level to either armor or shields (depending on the relevant weapon’s profile) rather than a flat increase to both.
- Damage mods have been reduced to 3%/4%/5% bonus to weapon damage from 3%/5%/10% previously.
- Base damage has been reduced on the following weapons: Assault Rifle, Scrambler Rifle, Combat Rifle, Rail Rifle, Submachine Gun.
- Grenade count has been reduced by 1 for all grenade types.

Modules/Equipment
* Added Cloak Field equipment.
* Altered stats of existing equipment:
- Active scanner cooldown times increased. Scanner functionality changed to now perform "snapshot" scans in order to stop 360 degree spins.
- Range on repair tools reduced.
- Drop uplink spawn times increased.
- Nanohive nanite supply reduced.

Skills
* Altered existing skills for Assault, Scout, Sentinel, Commando and Logistics roles:

* Assault [5% reduction to PG/CPU cost of light/sidearm weapons per level]
- Caldari Assault: +5% to reload speed of hybrid railgun light/sidearm weapons per level.
- Gallente Assault: 5% reduction to hybrid - blaster light/sidearm hip-fire dispersion and kick per level.
- Minmatar Assault: +5% to projectile light/sidearm clip size per level.
- Amarr Assault: 5% reduction to laser weaponry heat build-up per level.

* Logistics [5% reduction to PG/CPU cost of equipment per level]
- Caldari Logistics: +10% to nanohive maximum nanites and +5% to supply rate and repair amount per level.
- Gallente Logistics: +10% to active scanner visibility duration and +5% to active scanner precision per level.
- Minmatar Logistics: +10% to repair tool range and 5% to repair amount per level.
- Amarr Logistics: 10% reduction to drop uplink spawn time and +2 to maximum spawn count per level.

* Sentinel [+5% damage resistance to splash damage per level]
- Caldari Sentinel: 3% shield resistance to hybrid - blaster weapons, 2% shield resistance to laser weapons per level.
- Gallente Sentinel: 3% armor resistance to hybrid - railgun weapons, 2% armor resistance to projectile weapons per level.
- Minmatar Sentinel: 3% shield resistance to laser weapons, 2% armor resistance to hybrid - blaster weapons per level.
- Amarr Sentinel: 3% armor resistance to projectile weapons, 2% shield resistance to hybrid - railgun weapons per level.

* Commando [5% reduction to reload speed of light/sidearm weapons per level]
- Caldari Commando: +2% damage to light hybrid – railgun weapons per level.
- Gallente Commando: +2% damage to light hybrid – blaster weapons per level.
- Minmatar Commando: +2% damage to light projectile and explosive weapons per level.
- Amarr Commando: +2% damage to light laser weapons per level.

* Scout [+15% reduction to PG/CPU cost of cloak field per level]
- Caldari Scout: +5% bonus to dropsuit scan radius and scan precision per level.
- Gallente Scout: +5% bonus to dropsuit scan radius and 5% reduction to scan profile per level.
- Minmatar Scout: 5% bonus to hacking speed and Nova Knife damage per level.
- Amarr Scout: +5% bonus to stamina regen and maximum stamina per level.

Planetary Conquest
* Locking a district will now ensure the attacker loses clones and ISK when there is no battle.

Factional Warfare
* Adjusted the battle spawning so that factions will need to spend more time defending their districts proportionally to the number of districts they control.

Other
* Improved performance on certain maps that had a high installation count.
* To ensure parity with EVE Online support, customer support for DUST 514 will now only be offered in the following languages: English, Russian, Japanese, and German.

Unfortunate lack of surprises, guess they're saving the juice for Fanfest. I shouldn't be too surprised given the amount of stuff we're seeing in this patch though ... but WP on MobileCRUs and the filling out of the faction store were things that I thought were reasonably plausible.

Oh well, at least AV has incentive to keep firing even after they do nothing for damage and the Magsec gives them an Assault Rifle to be reasonably effective against infantry with.

How does this game compare with the recent sci-fi shooter darling Titanfall?

Completely different experience and not as fast paced. What it offers that are better fundamentally in my opinion are a deeper skill tree, higher level of customization, and a connection to an existing universe. What it is losing is obviously the movement and no mech-like vehicles (yet!).

Also Titanfall may be supported for around a year and then perhaps a new version after that where you have to purchase it again and start all over, but Dust will be continually updated for as long as CCP is around and you will never have to start over, just continue building your character and working towards whatever goals you have, whether that is to be the best at a certain role, become the richest mercenary around, raise the largest army, take over the most planets, or whatever.

Also something that you don't get from Titanfall, or any other shooter honestly, is the sense of value and the tension and satisfactions it creates. Nearly everything on the battlefield is a consumable asset that must be purchased through the in-game currency. Die and you must repurchase it. So if you're just throwing all the best stuff onto your fits its going to be extremely expensive and if you die a lot you won't be able to continue to do so, and you'll have to run cheaper suits to try and raise money for yourself. So imagine a moment when you're in your expensive suit and you see an enemy also in an expensive suit, and in that moment there is a level of tension unrivaled in any other shooter because the outcome of this engagement means a lot more to both players than just a number in their KDR. This is also why the game is a little slower paced and has a higher time-to-kill, because you don't want to be running stuff you paid for (with in-game currency) and lose it in a split second.

The Light

Man wish i invested in the rail rifle than AR. It suits my style more being support. Hate that i missed the million sp weekend i could've used that for skilling up my armor, shields, and gallente medium to lvl 5

Man wish i invested in the rail rifle than AR. It suits my style more being support. Hate that i missed the million sp weekend i could've used that for skilling up my armor, shields, and gallente medium to lvl 5

There's no reason to skill into the basic frames beyond level 3, their only purpose is to unlock the variants they have available to them (Heavy Frame -> Commando/Sentinel, Light Frame -> Scout, Medium Frame -> Logistics/Assault). The variants give you passive bonuses per level that incentivize their use. If you like using the Gallente Medium then you're better off skilling into the Gallente Assault.

It is unfortunate that you missed the million clone event though, I know I used it to get a bunch of spare SP to experiment with some stuff on my alts.

I do think they'll eventually bring out MTACs (mechs). I believe it was Fanfest last year or the year before where they mentioned working on MTACs a bit. I just hope they kill the PS3 sooner rather than later, though. Using the popularity of Valkyrie to help DUST out should be a no-brainer. I really hope they don't keep it console exclusive with a PS4 port...

I do think they'll eventually bring out MTACs (mechs). I believe it was Fanfest last year or the year before where they mentioned working on MTACs a bit. I just hope they kill the PS3 sooner rather than later, though. Using the popularity of Valkyrie to help DUST out should be a no-brainer. I really hope they don't keep it console exclusive with a PS4 port...

The way I see it, the last Executive Producer had a habit of promising more than he could reasonably deliver on in a timely fashion, hence why almost a year after the last fanfest we've only just seen the inclusion of racial parity. Things like PvE, the release of new heavy weapons, new vehicles, and all other things he put out there are more or less moot in my mind until we get confirmation otherwise. We'll see more of a realistic roadmap for the next 6-12 months with this up coming fanfest with Rogue finally coming from the shadows and revealing what direction he wants to take the game moving forward.

Everything from last FanFest and before are moot, as DiscoShark said. Surely MTACs will come eventually, but I wouldn't be on it anytime soon.

Regarding the PS4 version, CCP has hinted numerous times at using Gaikai to stream Dust 514 (PS3) to the PS4. This in my opinion is the best solution as it allows a nice transition period where users can play on both the PS3 and PS4 and won't feel like CCP is all of a sudden forcing their players to upgrade.

I feel like Gaikai would be great to play something like Ico or The Last of Us. It's not something I would really consider for a multiplayer competitive shooter. I would seriously question CCP's decision should they go that route.

DUST is built on UE3, so I don't feel like it would be too difficult to port to any other platform.

The Light

There's no reason to skill into the basic frames beyond level 3, their only purpose is to unlock the variants they have available to them (Heavy Frame -> Commando/Sentinel, Light Frame -> Scout, Medium Frame -> Logistics/Assault). The variants give you passive bonuses per level that incentivize their use. If you like using the Gallente Medium then you're better off skilling into the Gallente Assault.

It is unfortunate that you missed the million clone event though, I know I used it to get a bunch of spare SP to experiment with some stuff on my alts.

Whoops I meant to i wanted to get my Gallente logistics suit to lvl 5. I know i'll probably never buy a proto suit since I die way too often, but those passive bonuses would be nice to have.

The Light

Man seem like every time i post this thread dies lol. Anyways playing the update and so far I don't think its much different except for scouts becoming even more annoying. I've been thinking armor rep tanking my gal logi. Never really tried it before but figure it may be better than having armor slow me down.

Man seem like every time i post this thread dies lol. Anyways playing the update and so far I don't think its much different except for scouts becoming even more annoying. I've been thinking armor rep tanking my gal logi. Never really tried it before but figure it may be better than having armor slow me down.

Not many people on GAF are even aware this game exists and those who do think it was a bust and that no one plays it. Anyways I'm noticing quite a few differences with this new update, not just scouts and cloaking but that commandos can be really good and the whole reduced TTK thing has led to less people running off on their own and instead sticking to groups, which is good. Also the large rail gun rang nerf from 600m to 300m has vastly improved vehicle-on-vehicle gameplay. The three biggest issues that remain are combat rifles being too good (95% against shield, 110% against armor), large blasters being too efficient at killing infantry, and the triple complex heavy rep Madrugar which can out rep insane amounts of damage.

Coming up next Thursday is an interview with the new Executive Producer for Dust 514 on CCP's twitch stream, and the week after that is FanFest where they will debut a brand new expansion (for the past several months only a small team has been updating Dust and everyone else has been working on this expansion), so lots of stuff to look forward to in the near future!

I seriously breathe EVE and had no idea they were doing an interview next week. Admittedly I don't follow DUST as close as I would like, but I kinda feel like they're not promoting DUST through EVE enough. I'll totally be watching that stream, but if I hadn't seen it here I wouldn't have even known it existed.

I'm sure we'll be seeing some major news about DUST at Fanfest.

I'm sure we'll be seeing some major news about DUST at Fanfest.

News of things to come at fanfest is what's keeping me from allocating a large segment of my SP at the moment. Crossing my fingers for more heavy weapons and vehicle turrets as well as the introduction of EVE style industry (ie. the equipment people use are made from goods created by other players). But I'd imagine the latter would be part of a larger push for PvE content that I'm not sure that they're willing to take at the moment.

News of things to come at fanfest is what's keeping me from allocating a large segment of my SP at the moment. Crossing my fingers for more heavy weapons and vehicle turrets as well as the introduction of EVE style industry (ie. the equipment people use are made from goods created by other players). But I'd imagine the latter would be part of a larger push for PvE content that I'm not sure that they're willing to take at the moment.

More vehicles and vehicle turrets are long overdue, we've been limited to all the same stuff in this area since beta, with the exception of assault dropships being added in Uprising. I've been waiting a long time for Amarr vehicles with laser turrets :D

We know that since we got the new Executive Producer, CCP Rouge, only a small team has been updating Uprising, while the rest has been working on something else. Also last October at EVE Vegas, this being after CCP Rouge was hired, they said the major focus for 2014 is realizing the MMO in Dust 514. I wouldn't take this as increasing the player count, but rather stuff to further let the player base interact with each other, like say a player market (finally!). Only 2 weeks until we know.

https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=157089&find=unread

So apparently CCP registered a new trademark for a game titled "EVE Legion." Many have speculated that this is actually a re-branding of Dust 514, which would actually make a lot of sense especially given the new direction they have apparently taken since CCP Rouge took over. As much as the name "Dust 514" has grown on me, I would absolutely love a rebranding to help shake the negative publicity Dust 514 has with a lot of gamers.

So here's a question, if it is a rebranding would that warrant a new OT?

https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=157089&find=unread

So apparently CCP registered a new trademark for a game titled "EVE Legion." Many have speculated that this is actually a re-branding of Dust 514, which would actually make a lot of sense especially given the new direction they have apparently taken since CCP Rouge took over. As much as the name "Dust 514" has grown on me, I would absolutely love a rebranding to help shake the negative publicity Dust 514 has with a lot of gamers.

So here's a question, if it is a rebranding would that warrant a new OT?

Oh, wow. That's actually really exciting. I'm hoping that what they have to show is enough to make it seem like that the rebranding is actually significant vs. just some marginal update.

How does WoW handle new builds on this forum? Do they revitalize the OT and throw it up on gaming or do they just throw up a news thread to make people aware of its existence? I'm sure there's a precedent for this sort of thing.

A rebranding would have to involve a PC release. I'm actually super excited for fanfest right now. I'm thinking more practically that it's a new novel or they're securing stuff for the eventual TV show, though.

Oh, wow. That's actually really exciting. I'm hoping that what they have to show is enough to make it seem like that the rebranding is actually significant vs. just some marginal update.

How does WoW handle new builds on this forum? Do they revitalize the OT and throw it up on gaming or do they just throw up a news thread to make people aware of its existence? I'm sure there's a precedent for this sort of thing.

Apparently for the past several months CCP has only dedicated a small team to updating Uprising while everyone else has been working new stuff they'll be showing at Fanfest, so if it was a re-branding it would coincide with this new expansion.

What could this new expansion include? In past interviews with the new executive producer, CCP Rouge, he stated he wishes to make the new player experience more "visceral" (lol), make Dust tie in deeper to the fiction of New Eden, add in a player market, and have a steady flow of resources between EVE and Dust. When they released the Fanfest schedule today, they mentioned there will be talks on Dust's graphics as well as it's new vision and progression.

Take from that what you will, but it certainly sounds like this is going to be a very exciting Fanfest for Dust fans. It all starts tomorrow with the pre-Fanfest stream on Twitch, CCP Rouge will be on at 18:00 EVE time (2 PM EST).

Korten

Banned
A rebranding would have to involve a PC release. I'm actually super excited for fanfest right now. I'm thinking more practically that it's a new novel or they're securing stuff for the eventual TV show, though.

Doubt they will release a PC version, more likely a PS4 version. Which would really, REALLY help it's numbers. The PS4 may not have as many players as the PS3, but since there isn't that many games, people would be more willing to check it out.

The moment you put this game on PS4 your title comes in direct competition with the other free to play games on that platform, Warframe and Planetside 2. I really don't think Dust is in a place where it's strong enough as a title to do that and I don't believe taking development time to port what is a weaker game right now is the right thing to do quite yet ... so I'm not expecting a PS4/PC announcement.

:p

Doubt they will release a PC version, more likely a PS4 version. Which would really, REALLY help it's numbers. The PS4 may not have as many players as the PS3, but since there isn't that many games, people would be more willing to check it out.

Except remember that their current fan base is on PS3. Keep in mind the CEO of CCP stated there is no contract or anything stopping them from putting the game on PC or 360, but they want to put all their resources into improving the game and not have the distraction of making other versions at the moment and they know that their players are all on PS3 right now and so that's what they focus on. Also combine that with the numerous times they stated they are still laser focused on the PS3 version.

Don't get me wrong, a PC or PS4 version is bound to come out eventually, I just don't believe they're going to talk about it at this year's Fanfest. PS3 still has life in it.

Hahahahahahahaha.

The "Dust 514" "Keynote" just finished up at Fanfest

Game is being released on PC and being rebranded as EVE : Legion (looks pretty good).
The Keynote was about 20 minutes long and featured a fan video and the tech demo ... and that was about it.
Literally 0 details about what will happen to Dust 514

But that's okay because we have Devblogs to fill in (some of) the gaps!
http://dust514.com/news/blog/2014/05/introducing-project-legion/

When I came to CCP several months ago, it was to fulfill a vision that was our goal since DUST 514 was first announced: Merge a deep sandbox experience with an FPS in New Eden, to create a massive living world more meaningful as real life. As the team and I worked on that vision, we came to understand the effort centered around four pillars. We had to build the right ecosystem incorporating a fun and balanced competitive shooter; player vs. environment allowing for emergent behaviors; a player-driven economy that is distinctly CCP; and deep immersion that brings it all together.

We realized we would never be able to do it by iteration, any more than one could overhaul the engines of a plane in flight, and to do this right it would need to become something new -- a distinct and separate experience from what we’ve previously offered on DUST 514. We also feel that, to do this right, we need to do it on the PC platform first.

Let's start with the loot. I didn't want to add drones simply to have AI to shoot at; instead we tried to find a way to make that meaningful. That's when the idea of scavenging emerged. What if the loot being dropped is gear that the other players and reclaimer drones (which, by the way, are cool so long as you don't get too close!) are fighting for in "open" scavenging grounds? In High-Security space the loot is more basic and the drones less aggressive, but in Low-Security the stakes get higher. As all those in New Eden know, with greater risk comes greater reward. So in lowsec, with CONCORD nowhere to be found, the line between friend and foe becomes very blurry – you and I might team up to go after better loot against more powerful drones… but you won't shoot me in the back and steal my stuff, right?

Finally, the economy piece, the cement of that ecosystem as I call it. A player-driven market is not a “nice-to-have”, it's a must. Loot can be used or sold through the market. The ones who don't want to go scavenge can make big ISK through Mercenary contracts and restock or upgrade from the market directly.

Although DUST 514 and Project Legion will function independently of one another, and are different projects on different development paths, DUST itself has a lot more shooting-in-the-face action to come. The team and I remain committed to continuing to improve the experience on PlayStation 3, while simultaneously making sure “Project Legion” becomes the experience we’ve all dreamt of.

Seriously though that keynote was pretty much a slap in the face, no details about character transfer between Dust and Legion, no details about how Dust itself will be changing in the next few months, there was literally nothing there except for the tech demo of Legion (which again, looks great and is probably going to be everything I envisioned Dust would be) but ... yeah.

Well fuck this, I'm out. Way to shit on your player base CCP.

That was a seriously terrible keynote and I sincerely hope that they have more to show at Fanfest at the different presentations. Nothing on the in-progress(?) Caldari Production Facility map .. nothing on Dust 514 actually. It genuinely felt like a slap in the face to the community of console players that have stuck with the game up until this point hoping that it'd ever achieve anything like what EVE has.

And the weird thing is that i'm A-okay with the game being ported to PC, I've always thought it'd be the move they'd eventually have to take if they wanted to bring the game up to the level that they've always envisioned for it but the way they presented that Keynote makes it really feel like they're dropping Dust entirely to refocus on Legion. There was NOTHING said about the future of Dust 514 in that vital transitional period where Legion gets to a point where it's ready for release. The future of Dust 514 is, from the keynote at least, completely non-existent.

Updated the OP, sorry for any inappropriateness and childishness. I'm just extremely PO'd right now.

The worst part is they made this decision several months ago and hid it from us while claiming the game was still focused on PS3.

I'm so glad. It kind of sucks they threw DUST under the bus, but in the end it's for the best. I hope Legion can deliver on the promise of DUST.

The DUST content is mostly in the DUST Progression panel. There are more DUST panels after that as well.

Top Bottom