• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DWARF FORTRESS - For real this time. - This topic is for you (yes YOU)

Woo-Fu

Banned
SirPenguin said:
Yeah, Mayday does something rather silly (imo) with his releases. Instead of just graphics he'll also give you all the changes he thinks should be in the game. One of those changes is making damn near every rock an "economic rock", meaning dwarves won't use it for general rock purposes such as masonry. They'll only use it for things like flux.

So! Open up your stocks (z) menu and go over the "Stones" and turn Talc (and whatever rock you want) to green in order to use it

Actually, that change makes a lot of sense to the advanced player. So much sense that somebody created a mod for it.

I like it because it allows me to build any particular structure out of the same stone without having to search through it in the menu every time. It will be the only one on the list. It also is an easy way to prevent your dwarves from building with obsidian that you want to make swords out of instead.

Woo-Fu

Banned
SirPenguin said:
Man, are you joking, or do you seriously attempt to Min/Max fucking Dwarf Fortress of all games? 5k of each would be absurd. Even if we hit 0 of everything it'd take only a couple of (in game) weeks to fill it right back up

Actually it would take over a month for your first crop and even with Legendary Farmers you are not going to produce 5000 food from one crop. With Legendary Farmers, a Legendary Brewer and a Legendary Cook you might come close with a max size plot doing plump helmet->liquor->biscuits, but I doubt it.

...and yeah, I min/max DF. If you don't try to do better each time you play it gets rather boring. Anybody can survive once they know the basics.

Managing the necessities of life pro-actively makes for happier dwarfs and a more productive and profitable fortress.

Yaweee

I thought I was doing good when the immigrants arrived. Instead, they pushed my fortress over the edge, leading to its downfall with seasons. My biggest problem was food supply; I wasn't planting the right type of seeds.

The first to fall got attacked by a wolf and bled to death. Then one freaked out and toppled our wagon. Another destroyed the farm fields, leading to somebody starving to death
Everybody was hungry, thirsty, or bleeding, so I went and offered wood to Elven traders. They left instead of killing me, but they'll be back soon enough.

Making a channel from the nearby lake to the central stairs looks like it is going to finish the job. It might not be enough to flood the dorm floor, but it is keeping them trapped in their rooms at least.

None will survive to see the second summer.

-Once a Dwarf is injured or bleeding, how do they get better? Most have the Health Care skill.
-What causes Miasma? I got them a lot early on. Are some areas of the underground just prone to poisonous gases, and how big of a problem are they?

EDIT: WTF? I have twelve dwarves on their death beds, and inevitable horde of angry elves getting ready to come back for revenge, and a NEW GROUP OF MIGRANTS SHOWS UP?

Go back! You have to go baaaaaaaaaaaack!

EDIT TWO:

Holy fuck, there's a lot of them! Somewhere between 15~20 arrived. I think I might be able to turn this around... but I also think I can dig some channels to the larger lakes further away.

EDIT THREE:

My dwarves were "comforted by the lovely waterfall" that flooded their fortress, forcing them into the wilds where starvation and berserk hobos finished them off.

EDIT FOUR:

More drowning deaths and murders. The lower regions of the fortress are flooded, 5/7 or lower. I'm not sure what the minimum unpassable depth is, but a few dwarfs have drowned to death down there, while others have starved because they can't reach the stairs.

And now more migrants show up. Oh god, how have they not heard the tales? The serial killers were on them within hours.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Yaweee said:
I thought I was doing good when the immigrants arrived. Instead, they pushed my fortress over the edge, leading to its downfall with seasons. My biggest problem was food supply; I wasn't planting the right type of seeds.

Plump Helmets are the best friend of the newbie. They're the only thing you can bring with you on embark that pops out of the ground ready to eat. Everything else requires some level of processing to be turned into food.

Yaweee said:
-Once a Dwarf is injured or bleeding, how do they get better? Most have the Health Care skill.
-What causes Miasma? I got them a lot early on. Are some areas of the underground just prone to poisonous gases, and how big of a problem are they?

An injured dwarf needs a bed, a bucket, a ready supply of water and food, and dwarfs with the Health Care labor enabled. If all goes well the other dwarfs will bring the injured dwarf food and water with the bucket. Caring for the wounded tends to be a pretty low-priority task, so it's good to basically just leave it enabled on everybody if you want to make sure the injured aren't left to die.

Miasma is caused by things rotting underground. To minimize it you'll want to designate a refuse stockpile outside so that dwarfs with Refuse Hauling enabled will drag miasma-producing items outside, where they'll rot with no negative impact on your dwarfs.

And in case it isn't obvious already, showing an elf a dead tree is a quick way to start a fight. Even something innocuous decorated with wood will set them off. They also used to get pissed off if you offered them leather, items with blood on them, or basically anything that involved something dying. They're a bit more easy-going these days.

Woo-Fu said:
Actually, that change makes a lot of sense to the advanced player. So much sense that somebody created a mod for it.

I like it because it allows me to build any particular structure out of the same stone without having to search through it in the menu every time. It will be the only one on the list. It also is an easy way to prevent your dwarves from building with obsidian that you want to make swords out of instead.

I can see where it might be useful in a few specific areas, but it doesn't seem any more useful than simply utilizing custom stockpiles. It especially doesn't make sense to include in a package that is largely used by new people, heh. But I can see where he's coming from!

I'm just now reading up on Headshoots and...wow. Definitely rivals Boatmurdered.

stealth edit:
Woo-Fu said:
Actually it would take over a month for your first crop and even with Legendary Farmers you are not going to produce 5000 food from one crop. With Legendary Farmers, a Legendary Brewer and a Legendary Cook you might come close with a max size plot doing plump helmet->liquor->biscuits, but I doubt it.

...and yeah, I min/max DF. If you don't try to do better each time you play it gets rather boring. Anybody can survive once they know the basics.

Managing the necessities of life pro-actively makes for happier dwarfs and a more productive and profitable fortress.

Again, I get what you're saying, but 5000 food would last even 200 dwarves over 3 years. Can you see why I said it'd be absurd?

Whenever I find myself low on food I just process the raw fish I'm sure to have laying around or perhaps butcher some of the cows I have breeding. Farming is slow, definitely, but you got a lot of options to grab a lot of food quickly.

But yeah, to each their own. I guess that's the beauty of DF. I just always preferred to play in a more traditional way that invites problems to happen frequently...makes things more interesting for me.

bengraven

Getting my ass kicked. I need to watch more tutorial videos. I must be getting old. Or maybe I'm too young? 30 might be fucked - right in the middle.

Yaweee

27 deaths, and fourteen sane survivors being hunted down and murdered by three serial killers. I'm amazed they've survived this long.

EDIT: Merchants arrived and slaughtered the crazies.

Despite my best attempts, the fortress has survived. Time to re-roll, I guess.

EDIT TWO:

Now some questions about getting along with others!

I chose my starting point smack dab in the middle of a human settlement. Burrowed straight into the ground a few Z levels and started building up.

So far the humans haven't down anything to me. Will they be territorial, ever? Will my refuse pile next to their homes anger them? How about claiming their houses as dining halls? Chopping down their trees?

Yaweee said:
27 deaths, and fourteen sane survivors being hunted down and murdered by three serial killers. I'm amazed they've survived this long.

EDIT: Merchants arrived and slaughtered the crazies.

Despite my best attempts, the fortress has survived. Time to re-roll, I guess.

EDIT TWO:

Now some questions about getting along with others!

I chose my starting point smack dab in the middle of a human settlement. Burrowed straight into the ground a few Z levels and started building up.

So far the humans haven't down anything to me. Will they be territorial, ever? Will my refuse pile next to their homes anger them? How about claiming their houses as dining halls? Chopping down their trees?

Living among another city is pretty effin' buggy right now. Everything that's on the map? It's all yours. All their food and weapons and items. You can't control the creatures themselves but they'll be friendly to you.

Goblins will ALSO be friendly to you if you embark on one of their towers. However, I believe a goblin siege will trigger their "oh shit, I should hate you" code and cause them to become hostile again. Which could be an interesting premise for a LP

Yaweee

SirPenguin said:
Living among another city is pretty effin' buggy right now. Everything that's on the map? It's all yours. All their food and weapons and items. You can't control the creatures themselves but they'll be friendly to you.

Goblins will ALSO be friendly to you if you embark on one of their towers. However, I believe a goblin siege will trigger their "oh shit, I should hate you" code and cause them to become hostile again. Which could be an interesting premise for a LP

Ah, shit. Sounds like cheating =(

It was a pretty good start. Knowing what each workshop does and how to manage your dwarves' skills makes a huge difference into how well the start goes.

Yaweee said:
Ah, shit. Sounds like cheating =(

It was a pretty good start. Knowing what each workshop does and how to manage your dwarves' skills makes a huge difference into how well the start goes.

You'll have fun when the Gobbos come to try to take your shit with all those Humans taking up space though. ;)

Yeah, that's the learning curve of the game for you. You get it down after a failed fort or two and things will start clicking. Then a Dragon will show up and burn your place down (never build with wood above ground. Trust me! ;x)

EDIT:
This is a turtle bone earring
On the item is a finely-designed image of dwarves in turtle shell by Zuntir Komanbomrek. The dwarves are traveling. The artwork relates to the foundation of Shadowbolt by The Infinite Wire of The Treaty of Images in the early spring of 202.

How Zuntir Komanbomrek managed to fit the image of up to seven dwarves in shell on a single earring I don't know, but it sounds awesome, and hey, free advertising for our group/fort. :lol

Leam

Spring is done, i'll post some screens etc later, i'm a bit busy at the moment. I have a bit of a problem tho:

I carved some magma tunnels for the forges, i used a trick they mention in the newbie tutorial, leaving a wall between the tunnel and the magma, and fortifiying it making holes for archers. That way the magma would go thru and the fire imps wouldnt come in, however either i've broken the wall by carving from the upper floor or it has gone down, now there is a fire imp sitting there who i suppose will break havok when i build the magma forge on top.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Dammit. I rolled what was going to be THE FORT. I've been playing a handful of "retraining" forts ever since making this topic a couple weeks ago, and I'd finally recovered all my forgotten DF knowledge. This fort was going to be the one... the culmination of all I had learned and the one that I was going to take the distance. I set up a moat and drawbridge system, I settled in a location with magma, a chasm, a river, lots of trees, flux, "happy fun stuff" underground, etc.

From nearly moment 1, things have not been going right. A group of ~8 rhesus macaque monkeys harried my outside stockpiles right away. Militarizing my dwarves took care of them ASAP. Since I'm training up archers I didn't want their bones to go to waste so I turned on collect refuse from outside. I didn't have anywhere else to keep the refuse so I kept it outside next to my entrence. Except it wasn't techincally "outside" - I'd dug a big area out of the side of the mountain so the refuse pile was actually "inside" and had rock one z-level above it.

Rookie mistake. Miasma EVERYWHERE from the ~8 corpses decomposing. It encompassed my still and kitchen, causing cancelled jobs and nearly causing a booze shortage.

Batmen and Ratmen were having their own little battle over by the chasm which was also generating refuse, so every time my dwarves would go to collect it (before I would have a chance to forbid) they would get harassed by the Batmen. I had a couple fulltime Miliary dwarves but the time they would get there the Batmen would have always moved on.

By Fall the Batmen stopped being a "cute" problem, and actually engaged one of my migrants (a hunter). They're both apparently terrible at what they do, because they fought so long that they both ended up being "over exerted" with no major injuries, and laid side-by-side. All attempts to rescue the dwarf failed because of the Batman. So I send in my military to clean up. They go ALL THE WAY ACROSS THE MAP and just before they reach the batman they stop and turn back to go all the way back to the fortress to drink. The hunter ended up dying -_-

Because of all this and other distractions I wasn't able to make enough stone crafts to trade for an Anvil in the fall, so now after one full year we still aren't able to set up a metal industry. It's also spring of year 2 and I'm JUST NOW moving my farm food plot, and food production inside.

Just before I saved and quit the goddamn rhesus monkeys had just come back too, but this time in greater numbers. There's like 14 of them this time.

So it's spring of year 2 and I have no extra bedrooms dug, just the 16 for my 16 dwarves. I've only just now moved food inside, there's no defenses besides 2 military dwarves, no barracks, no permanent workshop space or stockpiles (just a square room to build the essentials). Argh.

It IS more fun to play this style than for every fort to turn out exactly the same. I'm just annoyed because this was supposed to be THE ONE. After embark I sat there for a good ~10 minutes looking at all the Z-levels, actually planning out how I was going to defend myself, the general idea where things were going to go, etc. Now it's going to be a struggle to avoid tantrum spirals when more migrants show. Also, my fisherman drown, at some point.

I'd really like to play this but sadly my desktop won't run it fast enough. Anyone know of any tricks to improve playability on a shit pc?

GDJustin

platypotamus said:
That sounds like a really fun first year to me!

Yeah, but I'm just annoyed because it was supposed to be my "perfect" fortress and I made other dumb mistakes as well. For bedrooms I'm digging out 15x15 squares and then within those squares un-designating sections in such a way that they'll be bedroom walls. But one section I forgot to do that, so the entire 15x15 area got dug out. It messes with my symmetry so I decided to just construct walls where the cave walls would have been. But the constructions keep being cancelled because the loose stone is in the way.

So I designated it to be dumped, which ate up like a whole season.

Little stuff like that is leaving this fort in a precarious position.

Edit: Re: FPS - there's two major things that will up it. 1 - Lower your GFPS rate in the init file. 2 - embark on a smaller local area. I think 6x6 is the default, but try 4x4 or 3x3.

The other tips in that wiki link are good, but these two changes will make a HUGE FPS difference. They could easily double how fast the game runs.

Twig

Banned
Cool I found the option to make bins for storage that helps.

QUESTION!!

I marked from horses for slaughter. They were slaughtered. I then set the butcher to butcher a dead animal... and it said there were no corpses nearby. Do they have to be RIGHT nearby? \:

ixix

TheOneGuy said:
Cool I found the option to make bins for storage that helps.

QUESTION!!

I marked from horses for slaughter. They were slaughtered. I then set the butcher to butcher a dead animal... and it said there were no corpses nearby. Do they have to be RIGHT nearby? \:

Did much time pass between when they slaughtered the horses and when you ordered them to butcher an animal? They automatically queue up a butcher task when there's an available corpse, so they might have already done it before you gave the order.

Twig

Banned
Ah, maybe it did autobutcher. I didn't realize it did so, so I always set it to butcher manually!

If I looked at the stocks, I imagine it'd be there, hah.

Little_Luke

Neo Member
So I think i finally got a good fort going. I was plucking along with my 7 dwarves; made a nice main entrance hall w/ stone floors and statues. nothing special beyond that and have just received my first influx of immigrants

Is there a way to organize their jobs? I remember seeing in one of the many tutorials a third party organization application that appeared to be allow you to assign jobs and laid things out in an organized fashion. Being as how i went from 7 dwarfs to 26 I'm quickly lost in terms of organization and any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Twig

Banned
Yeah I'd also like to know about the micromanagement. It's kind of tedious/annoying to look at every single dwarf. Only way I know how is to go to the unit list and then zoom to each dwarf and then change their jobs, etc. there...

I have more questions!

What can I do about flies?

Also I dug a sort of moat (except for the drawbridge part I don't know how to do that yet) and a kobold fell in the water. If my dwarves go outside, they all get scared and won't go back inside, unless I set them to recruits temporarily (at which point they will all go to the meeting room and be worthless). How can I kill this kobold?

I noticed some of my dwarves are complaining about the "draft". What's that mean?

I think I read that you can neuter cats at the butcher? How?

ixix

TheOneGuy said:
What can I do about flies?

Keep refuse to a minimum. They're not a big deal in terms of negatively impacting moods, unlike, say, miasma, so they're not really worth worrying much about. I'm pretty sure they're one of the few types of vermin cats can't kill.

TheOneGuy said:
Also I dug a sort of moat (except for the drawbridge part I don't know how to do that yet) and a kobold fell in the water. If my dwarves go outside, they all get scared and won't go back inside, unless I set them to recruits temporarily (at which point they will all go to the meeting room and be worthless). How can I kill this kobold?

I'm assuming that the moat is dry since the kobold is still alive. You could either fill the moat with water or magma to kill the kobold, or you could make a stair or ramp down into the moat and send military dwarves down there to take care of it. Use the military command menu to station the squads in the moat after making the moat accessible.

TheOneGuy said:
I noticed some of my dwarves are complaining about the "draft". What's that mean?

It's referring to the military draft, not the moving air kind of draft.

A dwarf who gets assigned to military duty but who doesn't have any military skills gets an unhappy thought when activated. As I recall the inverse is also true, where a military dwarf who doesn't have any civilian skills gets an unhappy thought when deactivated from military duty. Either let your dwarves skill up in a military skill or just try to keep activation of militia-style dwarf units to a minimum. Raw recruits are only useful against the most pathetic of enemies anyhow.

TheOneGuy said:
I think I read that you can neuter cats at the butcher? How?

By slaughtering them. It's a bit of an extreme version of neutering. Dwarves don't do things by halves.

ixix said:
I'm assuming that the moat is dry since the kobold is still alive. You could either fill the moat with water or magma to kill the kobold, or you could make a stair or ramp down into the moat and send military dwarves down there to take care of it. Use the military command menu to station the squads in the moat after making the moat accessible.

Couldn't he station a marksdwarf or two with some cheap bolts out near the kobold and have them pop him from safety?

And to build a bridge: b,then g, select the height and width you want as well as whether your bridge is designed to retract (in other words, slide into a hidden recess within the floor) or raise (functioning like a traditional drawbridge) and in what direction. For either, the arrow points toward the edge where action takes place, either folding or sliding in (this is a place where many newbies mess up, so double check that your bridge is going to function the way you want it to before setting it). For a drawbridge-type, you'll want to keep in mind that you'll be left with a vertical "wall" the same dimensions as your bridge's height/width. You'll need a Dwarf or Dwarves with the Mason and Architecture skills, but it's not required that both skills be possessed by a single dwarf: a dwarf with the Architecture skill will sight and plan the bridge, then a Mason dwarf will actually build it.
Once you've built your bridge, it won't automatically be movable, instead you need three Mechanisms, which can be built by a dwarf with the Mechanic skill at a mechanic's workshop. Once you have your mechanisms, you'll need to use one to create a Lever (b, T, l) in a place easily accessible to your dwarves. Once your Lever is done, press Q and connect it to your bridge. Both jobs require the mechanic skill. Voila! You now have a functional moving bridge!

ixix

Lonewolf_92 said:
Couldn't he station a marksdwarf or two with some cheap bolts out near the kobold and have them pop him from safety?

Well sure, but what's the fun in that?

so after the topic insisting this was for me i thought i would have a go. (i declined but the topic title was quite persistant)

after booting up the game and watching the excellent video tutorials by captnduck i plowed my way through the game. it is incredibly overwhelming at first and i was forced to watch the tutorials as i went along pretty much attempting to match what he did for as long as possible. that didnt last long as i didnt get any migrants for ages i was 10 mins away from posting on here asking for help regarding them when i get the lovely message that i finally had some help :D

1..2..3..4..5..6.. ok... 10..11.. jesus... 17..18..19.. holy shit! 23 dwarves!!! blimey 23 new beds and doors later and i finally get them all settled when another 9 turn up sheesh! wait 30 mins for a bus and 3 turn up at once!

anyway so far the game has been very good and i really had a holy shit moment that made me smile which was captnducks wall defense for marksdwarves. the construction of it really made me smile as not many other games would allow you to come in from below! :) however in constructing it i channeled the ground around the walls which has led to a problem. one of the horse's from the merchants fell in and as such the merchants havent left 2 years later. and i havent had anyone new since :/ is there anything i can do about this? (the horse is long dead)

also i cant find any goddamn iron ore its really slowing me down in trying to create weapons! is there a way around this? i found a huge pile of gold which is good right?

atm i am having problems with constant goblin raids. i kill the goblins then the dwarves rush out to get the goods and another goblin raid hits. this has been repeated 3 times and my military is getting worn down :/ anything i can do?

Leam

Spring report:

I started the work in some magma forges, made a big room to accommodate a few and maybe some small stockpiles

348gevq.jpg

The work in the magma tunnels under it was a bit more troublesome. A dwarf managed to get trapped inside after the floodgate was placed, so i had to set up a lever to open it. The lazy mechanic almost left the dwarf to die of hunger and thirst before he got to work :lol.

I built a wall hoping to keep the imps out of the tunnels, but i think i destroyed it by accident by channeling over it from the top floor to open way for the magma, so now we have imps living there. Hilarity will ensue when the forges are built:

24en6z9.jpg

We're suffering constant raids from the kobolds and gnomes, they managed to kill one fisherman (I seem to be missing the screenshot :(). After that they've come a few times more, but the guards have made short work of em.

Oh a Dungeon Master has just arrived. I'm in the process on building some accommodations for him.

BTW i'm a bit busy during the week so it might take a few more days to finish the year. If you want me to pass the save to the next one to quicken things just say so.

Twig

Banned
Blue Geezer: I dunno if it's the most efficient way, but you can do one of two things re: grabbing all the loot. Either set your orders so dwarves can't go outside or forbid all of this items from being picked up. I think it's d,
ixix said:
Thanks! :D
Lonewolf_92 said:
And to build a bridge:
Thanks! :D

My moat IS blue, so I think there's some water in it, right? It's just not very deep, I guess? There's a nearby river so I suppose I could channel into the moat with it.

But if I try to do anything outside, all of my dwarves (unless they're activated) get scared and just run back and forth canceling a job, then queuing it up again, cancel, queue, cancel, queue, etc. HOW DOES I MAKED BRAVER.

TheOneGuy said:
Blue Geezer: I dunno if it's the most efficient way, but you can do one of two things re: grabbing all the loot. Either set your orders so dwarves can't go outside or forbid all of this items from being picked up. I think it's d,

well i had about 2 seasons of peace so i was able to grab everything and get on with improving the fortress until...

"An ambush! Curse them!"
"An ambush! Curse them!"
"An ambush! Curse them!"

bloody full page of goblins! wiped out the better part of three squads and were getting deep into my fortress until they were overpowered by attrition more then anything else! well good news is my merchant problem might be solved as they wiped out everything the merchants had! so i lost 20 odd dwarves however i now have a shite load of goods thanks to the merchants dying so hopefully any posessed dwarves have no reason to not build what they want!

Twig

Banned
Blue Geezer said:
well i had about 2 seasons of peace so i was able to grab everything and get on with improving the fortress until...

"An ambush! Curse them!"
"An ambush! Curse them!"
"An ambush! Curse them!"
That's when my first fortress died. D;

I didn't finish the sentence earlier, heh. It's d, b, f to forbid items. I think that means they'll be ignored by dwarves. But I also have some clothes that I have manually claimed and the dwarves don't pick them up...

HK-47 said:
Has anyone mentioned Boatmurdered yet?
yup

TheOneGuy said:
That's when my first fortress died. D;

I didn't finish the sentence earlier, heh. It's d, b, f to forbid items. I think that means they'll be ignored by dwarves. But I also have some clothes that I have manually claimed and the dwarves don't pick them up...

yeah i had that exact problem. ended up building a HUGE stockpile for finished goods for them to move a lot of it.

GDJustin

Nice work on the Magma Forges Leam. With any luck we can actually have our military outfitted with real weapons and armor soon.

Leam

GDJustin said:
Nice work on the Magma Forges Leam. With any luck we can actually have our military outfitted with real weapons and armor soon.

No steel yet tho :(. I'll try doing some exploratory digging.

Yaweee

Nobody showed up my first year, then I get 18 migrants in a single season. I think I've managed the initial shock pretty well (set up some huge stockpiles, set much of the surrounding surface area for tree and plant gathering, and quickly laid down some expensive bedrooms.

-I have two Carpenter and Craft workshops. Is having multiple shops of one kind a good idea?
-I can't dig down any deeper for some reason, but it is z level ~150. Is there a limit?
-Does making larger rooms beyond 2x2 have any real benefits?

EDIT: MORE!

-Chairs: How many, and where?
-Promoting people to specific jobs- Broker, Sheriff, or expedition head, namely. Nobody has "relevant skills". If somebody is in the job, will they learn said skills over time, and how?

GDJustin said:
So... is Dwarf Fortress Fortress a good or bad name for a DF-dedicated blog? I think it's what I'm gonna go with unless someone suggests something better. Just installed it:

http://dwarffortress.com/

What's wrong with "The Annals of Fightanus" ?
Yaweee said:
Nobody showed up my first year, then I get 18 migrants in a single season. I think I've managed the initial shock pretty well (set up some huge stockpiles, set much of the surrounding surface area for tree and plant gathering, and quickly laid down some expensive bedrooms.

-I have two Carpenter and Craft workshops. Is having multiple shops of one kind a good idea?
-I can't dig down any deeper for some reason, but it is z level ~150. Is there a limit?
-Does making larger rooms beyond 2x2 have any real benefits?

I usually have multiple shops. I usually make the craftshops dedicated to specific materials too.

Not sure on the z limit, but there definitely is one.

Making rooms larger than 2x2 will potentially make the dwarves happier with the room. Also it will allow them to have more furniture, if they end up wanting it.

GDJustin

Because I've been squatting on it for a couple years now.

But really, there's no excuse. Because when I registered it DF was already pretty well known. When I saw it was available I practically had to register it, out of principal. The same reason I owned mariokartdoubledash.com.

Edit: I would probably hand it over if requested.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
So, I finally have enough time to get into DF and am playing it along with captain duck tutorials. I think I'm doing okay so far.

One of my dwarves got into a strange mood and was compelled to make a legendary cow leather thong... which somehow integrates bits of tree into it.

2lji5xd.jpg

GDJustin said:
So... is Dwarf Fortress Fortress a good or bad name for a DF-dedicated blog? I think it's what I'm gonna go with unless someone suggests something better. Just installed it:

http://dwarffortress.com/

I've had a DF blog on and off these last couple of years. I usually only update it when I'm particularly interested in the game. Anyways, do you remember back in the day when Toady was first naming wars and such? Well, he had the Kobolds name a battle once but due to their limited language it ended up saying "Jreengus Occurred". Well, I took that idea and ran with it and called my blog "Jreengus Occurring". I felt so proud of my creativity!

Anyways, if you do happen to start filling a blog with content due let me know. I'd love to contribute as well

ok i need help.

i need to build a well but i have no water underneath me only on the same level as me. i take it i have to channel the water underneath me and then put the well on top of it? is there any other way around this? because by the sounds of it it seems very dangerous and is bound to kill at least one dwarf!!!

Yaweee

Dwarf Manager sounds nice, but it won't work. I have .Net 3.5 installed already. It isn't connecting to any processes, so Load from DF gives an error.

Twig

Banned
I think my second fortress is going to die soon. My dwarves are all unhappy because their friends die but then they stay unhappy and go mad, some melancholy, and then they die, which causes more unhappiness, OR berserk and then they go on a rampage. Woo!

I need to get better at managing milititary. But I'm already better than before!

Also just so I'm sure: the guard are POLICE, right, not guards from outer attack? (Though I assume they'll still defend from enemies.)

And also: is there any way to designate X barrels to always be used for booze? I'm producing food at a seemingly much faster rate than alcohol so whenever a drink barrel goes empty they fill it with food and then I need to build more and more barrels but Ic an't build fast enough to keep up with the demand, and some of the ones I build are taken for food instead of drink and!!!! ahhhhhhhhh

i think i've been playing too much anyway though maybe i should take a break D;

Top Bottom