• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DWARF FORTRESS - For real this time. - This topic is for you (yes YOU)

Leam

Yaweee said:
Dwarf Manager sounds nice, but it won't work. I have .Net 3.5 installed already. It isn't connecting to any processes, so Load from DF gives an error.

Try Dwarf Therapist

you could just set your dwarves to make barrels forever by hitting r after selecting barrel, then do the same for brewing, just make sure you stop it after around 10 minutes if you are low on wood.

Oh and make sure your brewer is only brewing when this happens, otherwise all your barrels might get used up.

Twig

Banned
SpinningFrog said:
you could just set your dwarves to make barrels forever by hitting r after selecting barrel, then do the same for brewing, just make sure you stop it after around 10 minutes if you are low on wood.

Oh and make sure your brewer is only brewing when this happens, otherwise all your barrels might get used up.
Yeah, I have done that. Like I said, they'll put food in the barrels and don't make the barrels fast enough to keep up with the demand, etc. ):

Yaweee

Barrels and bins get reused, right?

What do they reserve bins/barrels settings do? Set a minimum amount that will remain unused?

TheOneGuy said:
Yeah, I have done that. Like I said, they'll put food in the barrels and don't make the barrels fast enough to keep up with the demand, etc. ):

i have the same problem! well had atm there seems to be a kind of stalemate now that the generic food storage is full of barrels! the others have reached a balance.

Yaweee said:

What do they reserve bins/barrels settings do? Set a minimum amount that will remain unused?

i guess so? sounds about right to me!

hmm something weird is going on. i have had like a year off from fighting and in the meantime my dwarves have become uber! :D i have two hammerlords, one just became a legendary champion :) and two swordmasters :D

im gonna get majorly attacked arent i?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Re: Barrels - when you select stockpiles with "q" one of the options is min/max bins & barrels. Just set it so your food stockpiles use 0 barrels. Then they'll have to be used for booze.

So I decided to make an adventurer in hopes of rescuing the kidnapped child that was abducted during my turn. Well, I couldn't find the damn kid so I ended up freeing 5 human slaves from the goblins and running into the wild. I figured it'd be cool to scale an entire mountain (which the game recognizes) with a bunch of kids so I set off.

Well, I selected the "Play Now" option meaning I didn't have any weapons or items. Quickly I became thirsty. Thankfully I found some brooks to satisfy it, but when I started getting hungry I knew I was in trouble. In a last ditch effort I decided to kill one of the kids hoping I could eat his corpse. Instead I picked up his corpse as a weapon. I then beat to death a couple of more children until...

3480ebm.png

Ah well.

GDJustin

I'm still playing my fortress that was supposed to be "perfect" but didn't have anything go right. I got 29 immigrants. As some kind of cruel joke, I think. I thought immigration was tied to created wealth, but I have spent the whole game scrambling and haven't been able to find the time to actually make crafts, so I dunno where they all came from.

I managed to very quickly dig a barracks and place 10 beds in it to at least give people a place to sleep to avoid a tantrum spiral.

I also rigged up my primary mote bridge to a pulley and I am keeping it retracted for the time being, as a makeshift defense while I get my shit in order and train up my small standing military.

I'm still far behind where I would generally be at this point in a fort's lifecycle, but it seems like I might be able to make a full recovery (knock on wood).

Twig

Banned
Yaweee said:

There are settings to reserve bins and barrels? WHERE WHERE !!!

dear lord.

give them a bit of confidence and they get too brave!

so with the better part of two years gone by without incident from foreigners (read: a theif every so often) i had 4 champions and a number of lords until the big day arrives "Ambush". so i get all civilians indoors and soldiers on duty. the goblins were hiding out around the edges of the map picking off any person unlucky enough to be out that far (in other words the hunter) so with a nice funnel with traps galore and the troops stationed behind that i thought let them come and we shall take them out easi- wait wtf is that champion going... yes he went to go and grab the remains of the poor hunter and bring them back to a tomb. so off he goes and literally runs around the goblins! being a champion makes you an expert in running dont you know?! however now 2 of the 4 squads decide they also want to help and follow after, although not in a big group because that would be sensible no they go in ones and two's... sure enough the latest recruits get massacred and even the champions are getting cornered now.

all told i lost 13 dwarves including a champion and a swordmaster :( i ended up having to bring all dwarves back indoors. i may just bring them all in now whenever someone attacks and let them break their heads on the traps!

i still havent solved my well problem. i have seen the whole thing about making a u bend to make a reservoir and then making a well above that but i only really have a river to play with surely the pressure of that would just be too much even for a u bend?

GDJustin said:
I'm still playing my fortress that was supposed to be "perfect" but didn't have anything go right. I got 29 immigrants. As some kind of cruel joke, I think. I thought immigration was tied to created wealth, but I have spent the whole game scrambling and haven't been able to find the time to actually make crafts, so I dunno where they all came from.

I managed to very quickly dig a barracks and place 10 beds in it to at least give people a place to sleep to avoid a tantrum spiral.

I also rigged up my primary mote bridge to a pulley and I am keeping it retracted for the time being, as a makeshift defense while I get my shit in order and train up my small standing military.

I'm still far behind where I would generally be at this point in a fort's lifecycle, but it seems like I might be able to make a full recovery (knock on wood).

What are your rooms made from? A room with walls dug from a high quality material counts toward your wealth as well (and more so if it's additionally smoothed/Engraved, IIRC). "Displayed Wealth" I think it lists it as.

Blue Geezer said:
when you make the area in the first place you can set it to reserve.

Additionally you can press q, then move the cursor over the stockpile and use the e and r keys to raise and lower max barrels (and c/v controls bins). :D

Lonewolf_92 said:
Additionally you can press q, then move the cursor over the stockpile and use the e and r keys to raise and lower max barrels (and c/v controls bins). :D

yeah but it doesnt seem to be able to reserve those bins? that seems to be only able to be done when you create which is weird.

Twig

Banned
Lonewolf_92 said:
That doesn't reserve them, like Blue said.

HOWEVER RESERVING THEM WORKED.

I now have way too much booze. ROCK.

(Also my population is less than half what it was before they all went mad with thirst. Hurray!)

Woo-Fu

Banned
Yaweee said:

It will put those barrels/bins in that stockpile before they're needed and they'll never get pulled.

If you go back through the thread, I covered barrel management around page 4. It is very easy to have a lot of barrels and no empty ones for booze, I had this problem when I first started playing. The easiest solution is to not put food other than drink into barrels. You'll need large enough plant stockpiles so that you can contain a full harvest of unbarreled plants. If you have livestock and butcher on a regular basis, you should probably make a small 5-10 unit stockpile just for fat/fat products and set that one to max barrels. Put it next to your butcher shop and then put a kitchen on the other side of it, and have that kitchen process fat whenever the stockpile fills up with fat, or have it make easy meals whenever it fills up with tallow. You can go into to the stores interface and disable to everything except tallow if you want max efficiency converting that pile of tallow to processed meals.

I can't imagine dog tallow biscuits tasting that great, but they'll keep a dwarf alive. :)

Oh, one other thing. In a pinch you can always make barrels out of metal. I do this quite often with metals I have no other real use for. I like the thought of dwarfs drinking ale from an electrum keg with platinum mugs.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Blue Geezer said:
i still havent solved my well problem. i have seen the whole thing about making a u bend to make a reservoir and then making a well above that but i only really have a river to play with surely the pressure of that would just be too much even for a u bend?

Water doesn't rise over its natural level, or the level of your highest pump.

If your fort is far beneath the level of a river and you want a well down there the thing to do is this:

Dig a 4x4 cistern at least 5 levels deep, fill it with a channel from the river, with a floodgate somewhere along the line so that you can shut off the river when the cistern is full. Once you've filled it and shut off the river, cap it and build a well on top of it. Unless you've got a lot of dwarves lying in bed dying of thirst, this water will last you a long time(years). Even if you do drain it, just use the floodgate to fill it up again.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Yaweee said:
Dwarf Manager sounds nice, but it won't work. I have .Net 3.5 installed already. It isn't connecting to any processes, so Load from DF gives an error.

With any of these utilities the memory locations change with each revision of Dwarf Fortress. You have to update the configuration of the utility by hand usually. If it can't bind to DF, it is because it can't find DF, which usually means DF isn't running, or that the memory locations aren't configured to match the version of DF you are running.

Dwarf Therapist is the best of the bunch, IMHO, and the author monitors the forums seemingly daily, use that one. Last time I downloaded it he had already updated it to work with the latest dev release.

Mashing

I use the dwarf manager and it works fine with 40d. Although, it doesn't appear to show their social or military skill level's for some reason.

Yaweee

Woo-Fu said:
With any of these utilities the memory locations change with each revision of Dwarf Fortress. You have to update the configuration of the utility by hand usually. If it can't bind to DF, it is because it can't find DF, which usually means DF isn't running, or that the memory locations aren't configured to match the version of DF you are running.

Dwarf Therapist is the best of the bunch, IMHO, and the author monitors the forums seemingly daily, use that one. Last time I downloaded it he had already updated it to work with the latest dev release.

Yeah, Therapist is working great. Fantastic program-- seeing the colorcoded happiness has been extremely useful.

-My dwarves runs across the map to a brook to get water, rather than the nearby lake, or channel I dug. Any way to change this?
-My dudes are content, but what can I do to make them happy? Statues and shit anywhere, or in their rooms, or in the dining hall? Engrave all walls, or just rooms?

Woo-Fu

Banned
Yaweee said:
Yeah, Therapist is working great. Fantastic program-- seeing the colorcoded happiness has been extremely useful.

-My dwarves runs across the map to a brook to get water, rather than the nearby lake, or channel I dug. Any way to change this?
-My dudes are content, but what can I do to make them happy? Statues and shit anywhere, or in their rooms, or in the dining hall? Engrave all walls, or just rooms?

You can designate drinking areas and set dwarfs to only use designated areas for drinking.

Lots of things contribute to dwarf happiness. Here is what I do and the only unhappy dwarf I ever have is the baron/baroness(and that is only because I ignore all mandates/demands/requests).

1. Every dwarf gets his/her own bedroom. These bedrooms are carved out of natural stone and are polished. If you want to take this a step further, give each of your dwarfs a stone coffer and a stone cabinet to keep things in. If you want to go even further, look at the likes and dislikes of each dwarf and put things they like in their bedrooms. I've never done this myself, I min/max, but I'm not going that far, lol.

There is a minor downside to having great bedrooms for every dwarf, some of your nobility gets a bad thought whenever lessers have things "above their station".

2. Large dining rooms. You want the best dining rooms possible, considering how much time your dwarfs will be spending there. Smooth them, engrave them, load them up with masterwork tables, thrones, statues. Walking through water mist creates happy thoughts. With some engineering you can arrange for water mist in your dining room(s). Be careful not to flood your fortress making it happen. ;)

3. booze variety. Don't just make one type of booze. Make at least 4 types. I haven't seen dwarfs complain about eating the same old food all the time but it is easy to mix this up too.

4. No miasma! Put airlocks (short hallway with door on each end) on your refuse piles. Arrange for any cat/kitten in the fortress to have an unfortunate accident, OR, set the bedroom doors to be non-pet-passable and just wait for the cat/kitten to get trapped in the bedroom. Then just lock the door and reassign the dwarf in question a new bedroom. That way you don't get bad thoughts from a dead pet and the cat isn't leaving rotten corpses all over your fortress.

5. No dead dwarfs. Keep your dwarfs inside. Build good defenses. Pay attention when building things so you don't build your dwarfs into a corner, flood them, or burn them. Most of my forts nowadays I don't lose any dwarfs... except the ones I want to die.

6. No stolen children. Whenever your fortress is open to the surface for any reason that opening needs to have a chokepoint covered by animals that will uncover stealth, wardogs for instance. That chokepoint should also be covered with an assortment of traps. goblin snatchers don't have trap avoidance. The hardest part of this though is keeping the children indoors. Children want to be next to their parents and due to some flaky pathing this will often put it into their heads that they need to go outside to get there. Couple ways to handle this: don't allow dwarfs to go outside with the global setting. You can also set children to pump operation and build a bunch of screw pumps---this is what I do, it makes for some nice recruits for the army once they grow up---but you'll need to use an external utility like dwarf manager/therapist to set them to pump operation.

7. No waterskins for the military. You can enable these so that patrols will not turn back when they get thirsty, the problem with this is that they only fill them with water and a dwarf drinking only water gets unhappy. My dwarfs hardly ever run patrol routes and I make sure to have food and drink stockpiled near where they are stationed so they don't need waterskins or backpacks. Make sure that wherever you station a squad that they are not in sunlight, if at all possible. I will build a roof(floor tiles)over any outside area I need to station squads. Running them through sunlight on a regular basis to keep it from making them sick when they do have to go topside is ok, keeping them standing around in sunlight is not.

8. If you do lose a dwarf, get him into a coffin ASAP and then do everything you can to make his circle of friends/relatives happy again.

Follow those guidelines and >95% of your dwarfs will spend their lives ecstatic.

Leam

Ok, so the rest of the year hasnt been very eventful, except for a small dark gnome raid

vzyn2w.jpg

which ended very very fast. Apparently Ducim Geblorbam doesnt like to be interrupted while eating

1e5d88.jpg

because he went and killed 6 of em all alone before the rest of the guards showed up.

Also, the butchery had some trouble with miasma

13zx1uh.jpg

so i had to open the roof and then close it. Apparently I slaughtered one too many puppies.

and here's the link for the next one

http://rapidshare.com/files/290325509/region13.rar.html

EDIT: Oh i forgot, i wasnt paying close attention to the food levels, we ran out of beer. Both brewerys are set to repeat.

I think I'm next, but I'll be at work/soccer until 11 tonight, and am leaving tomorrow morning to go out of town. Norante, you want to go ahead and take it, and I'll go after you?

If not, I'll just pick it up Monday, but I don't want to slow things down too much.

GDJustin

Why is the unprepared food stockpile A) Still so small and B) so light on barrels? :lol

Maybe it's for the best that this first succession game took it a little easier. I'm not sure GAF is ready for undead skeletal eagles upon embark...

Leam

GDJustin said:
Why is the unprepared food stockpile A) Still so small and B) so light on barrels? :lol

Maybe it's for the best that this first succession game took it a little easier. I'm not sure GAF is ready for undead skeletal eagles upon embark...

Because the freaking dwarfs wouldnt stop drinking, I queued barrels to do on repeat but didnt realize we ran out of wood :p. And do they drink extra when they party or something? Cause i'd swear that like 200 drink units just went poof at one point.

Woo-Fu

Banned
GDJustin said:

You just need to put the experienced players in the first 5 years if you're going to do that. :) As far as why food/drink is so low I don't really know either, considering it is probably the 2nd highest priority anybody playing should have. :lol

GDJustin

That food stockpile is the exact same stockpile I made in the first half of year 1. No one has touched it since :lol What the heck have you guys spent your years doing?!?

I have a very food related plan of action for my turn, so after I get back (whether or not I get skipped) I'll be making good stuff happen.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
This game is so addicting >__>
I tried it a few times during the last years and finally managed to complete the utter newby tutorial. What are you guys doing after everything is being set up? And your fortress practically is non-conquerable?
Is there a way to attack other nations? To start war and conquer the ASCII map? Well besides selling wood items to elves.

Oh and wth? A turtle shell puzzlebox was my first artifact? T_T

Twig

Banned
Toma said:
This game is so addicting >__>
I tried it a few times during the last years and finally managed to complete the utter newby tutorial. What are you guys doing after everything is being set up? And your fortress practically is non-conquerable?
Is there a way to attack other nations? To start war and conquer the ASCII map? Well besides selling wood items to elves.
That's planned for the future, but I don't believe it's implemented, yet.

ok im a total novice here, but when im done playing for the night what am I supposed to hit in order to quit. seems like its only giving me the option to abandon fortress which says it will wipe my saves

GDJustin

Lakedaimon said:
ok im a total novice here, but when im done playing for the night what am I supposed to hit in order to quit. seems like its only giving me the option to abandon fortress which says it will wipe my saves

Esc --> save game

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
TheOneGuy said:
That's planned for the future, but I don't believe it's implemented, yet.

Hm. Is there any way to make an already chosen location more dangerous? Just for the sake of toying around with defense structures. Its kind of boring to test my defenses against a few goblins. Does the game get harder over the years?

Question regarding the Mortal Daggers of Blood
Isnt it somehow dangerous to have Fire Imps below the Magma Forge? I read that they can climb up through the hole you have dug for the Magma Forge. Maybe stationing a few guards down there?

Woo-Fu

Banned
Toma said:
Hm. Is there any way to make an already chosen location more dangerous? Just for the sake of toying around with defense structures. Its kind of boring to test my defenses against a few goblins. Does the game get harder over the years?

As your fortress grows in population and wealth you will hit milestones where the game throws some harder things at you. You'll get sieges(20-80 enemies on the map, usually with stronger squad leaders). You will also start seeing megabeasts---titans, dragons, etc.---depending on the era of the world you genned.

The best way to make it tougher is probably Dig Deeper, but you can't apply that mid-game. Here is a Dig Deeper succession game thread to check out, Sparkgear 3.

Toma

Woo-Fu said:
As your fortress grows in population and wealth you will hit milestones where the game throws some harder things at you. You'll get sieges(20-80 enemies on the map, usually with stronger squad leaders). You will also start seeing megabeasts---titans, dragons, etc.---depending on the era of the world you genned.

The best way to make it tougher is probably Dig Deeper, but you can't apply that mid-game. Here is a Dig Deeper succession game thread to check out, Sparkgear 3.

Thanks! Well that certainly sounds interesting. Lets see what comes around.

And for Dig Deeper... That Mod sounds really fun but is it fully compatible with graphic mods? I think I am using the Mayday one. Sry for the question but I cant seem to find any info on that anywhere.

Woo-Fu said:
Water doesn't rise over its natural level, or the level of your highest pump.

If your fort is far beneath the level of a river and you want a well down there the thing to do is this:

Dig a 4x4 cistern at least 5 levels deep, fill it with a channel from the river, with a floodgate somewhere along the line so that you can shut off the river when the cistern is full. Once you've filled it and shut off the river, cap it and build a well on top of it. Unless you've got a lot of dwarves lying in bed dying of thirst, this water will last you a long time(years). Even if you do drain it, just use the floodgate to fill it up again.

yeah i tried a test situation and forgot to put in a floodgate to stop the water! so i ended up flooding my well room :) i take it the water gets stagnant after a while hence the need to drain it every so often. how can you drain it without ending up with a place full of water? i think the answer is pumps but would that mean i would need an elaborate system to pump the water all the way back up into the river again?

Woo-Fu

Banned
Blue Geezer said:
yeah i tried a test situation and forgot to put in a floodgate to stop the water! so i ended up flooding my well room :) i take it the water gets stagnant after a while hence the need to drain it every so often. how can you drain it without ending up with a place full of water? i think the answer is pumps but would that mean i would need an elaborate system to pump the water all the way back up into the river again?

it never gets stagnant. you won't have to drain it. You might have to fill it up again if the bedridden dwarfs/patrolling dwarfs drink all of it.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Toma said:
And for Dig Deeper... That Mod sounds really fun but is it fully compatible with graphic mods? I think I am using the Mayday one. Sry for the question but I cant seem to find any info on that anywhere.

Should work fine with tilesets.

Another easy way to make DF more challenging is to decide ahead of time to not use traps, marksdwarves, or blocked entrances.

Toma

Woo-Fu said:
Should work fine with tilesets.

Another easy way to make DF more challenging is to decide ahead of time to not use traps, marksdwarves, or blocked entrances.

Nice suggestions, but I guess I was more looking for a way of improving the difficulty and then using everything the game has to offer to overcome it. So I guess Dig Deeper is the best choice. Thanks again anyway!

GDJustin said:
That food stockpile is the exact same stockpile I made in the first half of year 1. No one has touched it since :lol What the heck have you guys spent your years doing?!?

I only used that upstairs stockpile for produce for the still. I expanded the two stockpiles downstairs. Indeed, while I like the idea of splitting them between drink and prepared food, I believe I allowed both stockpiles to accept all food/drink (save for produce and various food that's useless without cooking). I ended my reign with close to 400 drink and like 800 units of food. Not sure what happened!

Woo-Fu

Banned
Toma said:
Nice suggestions, but I guess I was more looking for a way of improving the difficulty and then using everything the game has to offer to overcome it. So I guess Dig Deeper is the best choice. Thanks again anyway!

I don't think the game---simulation, IMHO---is really meant to be challenging in and of itself. Once you know the basics you'll never lose an entire fort through anything other than negligence. I think of DF fortress mode as an erector set, or tinker toys. The challenge is really only limited by your imagination. What can you build? :D

People looking to 'beat' DF like they would a regular game are probably going to go away unsatisfied with the experience.

Toma

Woo-Fu said:
I don't think the game---simulation, IMHO---is really meant to be challenging in and of itself. Once you know the basics you'll never lose an entire fort through anything other than negligence. I think of DF fortress mode as an erector set, or tinker toys. The challenge is really only limited by your imagination. What can you build? :D

People looking to 'beat' DF like they would a regular game are probably going to go away unsatisfied with the experience.

I know what you mean and I definitely have no intention of "beating" the game =) I am kind of more looking of ideas on what to do next, since this is a huuuge sandbox. I just cant seem to get inspired on what to try next. Actually I thought about that yesterday. What the game would look like if it incorporated a campaign mode or something like that. Wouldnt that basically destroy the idea of the game as it is now? People would try to beat the game and be over with it. The fact that it is this unfinished Alpha version is the reason why players feel encouraged to come up with other, own and awesome ideas.

These succession games are one way to do that. Play,live, write and share a story based on your Dwarfiness. Guess that would be something Id like to try out sometime too =)
The only thing scaring me off of something like that, are some forum posts I read for these fortresses where players get "scolded" if they were doing something the others wouldnt want or expect. I can understand that people get attached to the fortresses they're playing with but Gaf seems to be way more easy going than the other forums (up until now). I am very curious to see how this fortress plans out in the end =)
Btw, the design of the toplayer and layer-1 is awesome.

This game is awesome. I am sooo anticipating the next update, if only to see how much more awesomeness one single person can squeeze into a game.

BlaneH

Banned
Debated between this and Trials HD for my next addictive timesink, going to give this a shot....

Seems to be a very steep learning curve.

Edit: I just wasted 5 and a half hours and I'm not even sure if I enjoyed it....I think I'm hooked though.

Yaweee

21ou8hv.jpg

Well, that was a quick death. Congratulations, Zefon!

-If I tell my dwarves to stay inside, does that mean underground, or will enclosed sections above ground (like an outdoor farm) count?

Yaweee said:
21ou8hv.jpg

Well, that was a quick death. Congratulations, Zefon!

-If I tell my dwarves to stay inside, does that mean underground, or will enclosed sections above ground (like an outdoor farm) count?

Must have realized it was a carp and took the quick way out. Drowning is a better way to go than death by rabid carp.

I think they'll stay in any "Indoor" area (in other words, an enclosed area contained between a floor and a roof), such as an underground tunnel or above ground tower floor. Basically, anywhere you can build a bed. Your farm probably doesn't have a roof covering it, right?

Yaweee

Lonewolf_92 said:
Must have realized it was a carp and took the quick way out. Drowning is a better way to go than death by rabid carp.

I think they'll stay in any "Indoor" area (in other words, an enclosed area contained between a floor and a roof), such as an underground tunnel or above ground tower floor. Basically, anywhere you can build a bed. Your farm probably doesn't have a roof covering it, right?

Well, I haven't built it yet. Just wondering, but it probably won't (sunshine matters for above ground plants, right?) I still might have it my courtyard.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Yaweee said:
Well, I haven't built it yet. Just wondering, but it probably won't (sunshine matters for above ground plants, right?) I still might have it my courtyard.

If you want to grow above-ground plants but still remain inside, what you need to do is build a greenhouse out of glass block. Dwarves see through glass block just fine, so you probably only want to use it for the roof, otherwise any beasties they see outside, on the other side of the glass could interrupt their activities.

Top Bottom