• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light 2: Stay Human |OT| Hey GAF, wanna play a parkour game?

So..anyone else notice these jarring lod changes? Get a load of the tree shadows on the building..

Smart-Select-20220204-233314-PS-App.gif

Also, I'm still in thr prologue area but it seems like the rad John Carpenterish music is gone wah

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I don’t want to be the negative person here. I’m enjoying bits and pieces of it, but I’ve been running around one particular area looking to start the next quest and all it says is to meet people. They spent a long time placing these NPC’s in the world and they’re like generic Christmas ornaments. That’s where it drags for me. For some reason I’m not liking the trailing NPC missions. We’ve done this for how many years now? Follow NPC, do what NPC says, move from current position, etc etc.

It gets better as it goes on. The parkour and combat are good. I just can’t ignore those obvious quirks. The story isn’t doing much for me.

The guy at the beginning who said we should not see each other was weird. He says that, it goes into some deep dialogue about people living and dying, and then the man has a beer with you. It plays out in such a weird way.

?

Then why is this game special? It's a very common thing.

Here's GOW as example with the most ridiculous LOD ever. It keeps on changing every few steps and yet I haven't heard anyone complaining about it:

Uh..I dunno, I don't know how to answer that. Not sure what God of War has to do with anything. I'm talking about this game and how lod appears to be constantly in flux.

MadAnon

It's actually insane how much effort is simply thrown out just to make the game work across all platforms. And if people think it's easy to just scale up/down visuals then you can easily see you can't. It happened with Witcher 3 and now with Dying Light 2. The downgrade is absolutely staggering. Where's this power of the SSDs?

And the zombie physics have been trashed completely.

All the rumours about troubled development seem to be true. The game actually feels worse than the first.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
It's my first game on console where I prefer resolution mode to 60 FPS. That's a pity it seems run fine on past generation console, I doubt next generation hardware can't handle it at 60 FPS with at least DRS well above to 1080p.

assurdum

Banned
It's actually insane how much effort is simply thrown out just to make the game work across all platforms. And if people think it's easy to just scale up/down visuals then you can easily see you can't. It happened with Witcher 3 and now with Dying Light 2. The downgrade is absolutely staggering. Where's this power of the SSDs?

All the rumours about troubled development seem to be true. The game actually feels worse than the first.
I have to agree sadly. Combat system feel like more as it is the Dead Island sequel than the Dying Light one. There is something of sluggish and unresponsiveness in the controls, the fluidity of the prequel is completely gone. I noticed it immediately, it's almost a pain to play coming to Dying Light 1 and I admit that I can't have the same fun which I had with the first one during combat just for such issue.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

The downgrade is absolutely staggering. Where's this power of the SSDs?
Lol, the power of SSDs. No amount of bandwidth will compensate for the graphics chip.
Want incredible graphics in a box for 500$? It would need to be some hybrid cloud solution. Basically no high speed Internet = no fun.

assurdum

Banned
Lol, the power of SSDs. No amount of bandwidth will compensate for the graphics chip.
Want incredible graphics in a box for 500$? It would need to be some hybrid cloud solution. Basically no high speed Internet = no fun.
Doubt the graphic chip of next generation is the cause of the underwhelming graphic of Dying Light. This game has practically the same graphic setting in all the console. And this game barely touch the SSD on console. 30 seconds of initial loading time is ridiculous. And where you have seen all those benefits with the cloud for the incredible graphic on console, out of my curiosity.

Last edited:
Holy shit this game hurts my eyes, playing in perf mode on a series X. Tried quality mode for 3 minutes and that was worse.
Despite all this I'm still having fun with it.

Hey Blinkin

I love it!

I've just basically gotten to where the game opens up. The game looks great on the XSX in resolution mode, but performance is definitely the best way to play. It looks fine enough in 1080p.

Only a couple of bugs so far. The 1st outside zombie boss fight, it had disappeared mid fight and I had to leave the area and return for it to respawn. The music was epic during this fight!

The other was an audio glitch, I hope. As I was making my way to the radio tower, I would occasionally stop to survey my surroundings and I would hear something running around in the woods. It would run for a few seconds and then stop and it sounded like it was trying to catch it's breath.

Wearing headphones, it became a little unnerving trying to figure out if I was being stalked by some creature or if the games audio was lagging and I was just hearing my character running around until it caught up to me in real time.

I see myself playing this for a long time. I love the combat. It's definitely different than 1 but it doesn't take long to adjust to it. It feels more refined.

The stamina system feels a lot like BOTW and that's taken some getting used to but I honestly prefer it already. It really makes you consider the path you want to take. I imagine stamina usage will be less of a concern later in the game though.

Just about anyone who enjoys parkour, exploring, looting and killing zombies should find some fun in this game.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
?

Then why is this game special? It's a very common thing.

Here's GOW as example with the most ridiculous LOD ever. It keeps on changing every few steps and yet I haven't heard anyone complain about it:

Is this like a "Where's Waldo?" What is the change we're meant to see here, because I can't see shit. Granted I'm one of those folks who fell for the IGN "Human's can't see 60FPS" line, so whatever is wrong in this video I might just be too stupid to make out.

Connxtion

Got this on Series X but my god does quality mode suck ass 😭 why do all raytraced games feel so sluggish?
(It’s like the latency is so bloody high)

Resolution mode is 30FPS and feels better the the quality mode. But still sluggish compared to performance.

But sticking to performance mode as it just feels better.

retsof624

For the first time ever in a game, I’ve hit a progression bug. The parkour and side content is fun. So whenever I’m able to progress I’m gonna be good on upgrades and shit

Lupin25

This is a cross-gen game.

The detail in the world is well done. I'm impressed at the number of building interiors and how detailed they are. They've done a good job fleshing out the world through environmental and visual cues.

One annoying thing (a bug maybe?) is how you for certain items you need to use that scan thing. The moment the scan dissipates all of a sudden the pickup prompt is gone?

DeaDPo0L84

The detail in the world is well done. I'm impressed at the number of building interiors and how detailed they are. They've done a good job fleshing out the world through environmental and visual cues.

One annoying thing (a bug maybe?) is how you for certain items you need to use that scan thing. The moment the scan dissipates all of a sudden the pickup prompt is gone?
It seems to be only for more story centric items that are labeled "investigate" and yes its dumb. Like I know what it is I am meant to interact with why do i need to use my senses to highlight it again before being able to do so?

For regular loot you can eventually get used to knowing what to look for. There's already some mods for pc tweaking how survivor sense works so I'm hopeful it'll only get better.

Hugare

I'm really impressed by all the design decisions hat they've made

Like, night time is way more engaging this time. The "infected" mechanic is awesome and keep you on your toes, you always have to manage how much time you have in order to loot stuff and go back to the UV lights.

Exploring during night time in the first game was shit, because you would always encounter a volatile and a chase would begin. You would get more xp, but here you can actually find unique loot and places to explore (including exclusive sidequests)

I usually hate stamina bars (BOTW), but here its so well done due to the nature of the game and its gameplay.

Combat has so many moves that you can pull off. Traversal is smooth, and I havent unlocked 15% of the parkour skill tree yet.

You can tell Techland really wanted to make a game that was better than the first game in every way, and they almost nailed, imo.

It seems to be only for more story centric items that are labeled "investigate" and yes its dumb. Like I know what it is I am meant to interact with why do i need to use my senses to highlight it again before being able to do so?

For regular loot you can eventually get used to knowing what to look for. There's already some mods for pc tweaking how survivor sense works so I'm hopeful it'll only get better.

Ah OK that makes sense. I've only noticed it for investigate stuff. It's goofy that the game devolves into holding r3 continuously but whatever, it's still a pretty awesome game so far.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Holy shit this game hurts my eyes, playing in perf mode on a series X. Tried quality mode for 3 minutes and that was worse.
Despite all this I'm still having fun with it.
I am playing on the PS5 (I was going to get it on XSX but my HD is almost full and didn't want to delete anything to make room for 70GB.). I tried the graphics mode and quality mode after playing in performance mode. Holy crap! The frame rate was shit. Unplayable. I put it back on performance mode and much, much better. Fluid and looks pretty good. Stay away from 'quality' and 'graphic' modes!

Corndog

Banned
There are plenty of fanboys pushing exactly that not that long ago.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
This game is worth it for the parkour alone. So fluid and responsive. A big improvement over the first game.

Like some of you have mentioned I'm constantly clicking my right thumbstick every 3 seconds just so I don't miss some stupid plant or something 😉

Denton

Kinda funny that when I set the console settings (1080p, maxed out, no RT, no upscaling), my 2080Ti is only used from 50%.
So I am playing in 1620p with DLSS balanced, RTGI and RTAO enabled and still get 60fps. Looks great, plays great.

SCB3

This game is really feeling long, not a bad thing but 15 hours in so far and barely upgraded anything

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Whichever outlet said this game was just as broken as Cyberpunk 2077 at launch needs to be sued, seriously.

Because for some people, like myself, it is? Are you legit suggesting there aren't a load of technical issues with the game?

I really enjoyed Dying Light 1 when it came out. Recently I've been trying to play The Following and I just can't stand it. Was trying to convince myself I needed DL2 but fuck I'm just not feelin this shit.
Honestly the following wasn't my cup of tea either and I didnt finish it but I played DL1 like 10 times and DL2 is defiantly fun worth my 90 CAN

hlm666

Is this like a "Where's Waldo?" What is the change we're meant to see here, because I can't see shit. Granted I'm one of those folks who fell for the IGN "Human's can't see 60FPS" line, so whatever is wrong in this video I might just be too stupid to make out.
LoD is increasing object detail as it gets closer or decreasing it as it gets further away, it's generally done for performance reasons so stuff closer to you has more detail from increased polygon detail and higher resolution textures. In the video your reply was replying to you can see it visibly changing on the building infront, then in the GoW video the fence is going through a bunch of lod changes at an even closer distance. You can probably find examples of it being overly aggressive at some point in most games.

Warablo

This game is good, but I agree the sequel is missing some cool features from the first. The animations seemed dumbed down, no x-ray that I can tell, and the art style isn't as dark. Music is great, and the ambient noise is good, but not as good as the first. Not the biggest fan of all the particles/bugs either.

Last edited:
What's the deal with running around with your flashlight on, then there's a cutscene so your flashlight turns off, cutscene is over so your flashlight turns on rinse and repeat. It's so strange

DeaDPo0L84

The latest hotfix has fucked up my performance in certain areas. I was always getting a smooth 90'ish fps, now it'll sit around there but then randomly drop to around 55 in certain areas and it doesn't even make sense when it happens.

snir6590

Game is pretty fun with friends, despite it's connection issues.
Graphics looks shit on PS5 performance mode.
Combat feels pretty good, also the parkour is very impressive.
Exploring and scavenging are addicting as hell.
Noticed some bugs, one of them was game breaking, I got stuck in a f**** safe room until I joined my friend lol.
All in all I'm enjoying my time with it for now.

I'm now about 15 hours in and my praise for the game has only increased. Still haven't experienced any technical issues (PS5, Performance, 100% solo) except the previously mentioned black flicker, I'm starting to think this was some bizarre, intentional design choice to simulate the character blinking, weird stuff.

When I think about games that had liberating traversal mechanics, movement that felt unique and exhilarating I think about stuff like the Infamous series, swinging through NY as Spiderman, riding on an elephant and gliding over the forest canopy in Far Cry 4. DL2 might have my favourite moment to moment movement in any game ever. There is an unbridled joy in traversing this city that only gets better as time goes on and more skills are unlocked. Highly recommend unlocking the Dart skill ASAP which allows a burst of speed before jumping to allow greater distances, huge gaps between certain buildings are no longer a problem, leap and fly. I haven't even unlocked the grappling hook or paraglider yet, can't wait.

The combat in this game is weighty and impactful. If I have any criticisms it's that kicking enemies into spike traps or smashing an zombie head with your weapon while it's on the ground feels limp and lacking emphasis. I think some are remembering Dying Light with rose-tinted glasses. I loved that game, played the hell out of it including Following DLC, DL2 is superior in every way. I'm tempted to redownload it to do a direct, immediate comparison but even just watching some YT vids confirms what I suspect, maybe I should just be to fair though.

I want to shout out the OST once again, I'm absolutely in love with it. It's wistful, melancholic, has a sense of longing. At other times it's triumphant, enormous and fervent. No matter what it always fits the mood and action going on on screen. No surprise I dig it so much once I learned the composer is Olivier Derivière who did the the soundtrack for one of my fave OST's of the past 10 years: Vampyr. He's also done a bunch of other games like Remember Me, Life is Strange, A Plague Tale and Greedfall to name a few.

Interesting thing with the main character sounding so much like Troy Baker and it brings up a good question: why does the industry put so much stock into Baker if this "imitation" is just as good? To put it another way, if Baker had this role with the exact same script he couldn't do it any better. Just an observation, I think Baker is fantastic and enjoy his work. The real stars here are the major NPC's though. Hakon, Dodger, Sophie, Aitor, Barney and more are all fantastic, well written and well acted. It's really Aiden getting entangled in this world of politics and power struggles that shines more than his character or his motivations which is rather throwaway. Nothing is initially as it seems, this is a world filled with shades of grey filled with difficult and interesting choices, looking forward to navigating it's wide underbelly and meeting it's many inhabitants.

Last edited:
So..anyone else notice these jarring lod changes? Get a load of the tree shadows on the building..

Smart-Select-20220204-233314-PS-App.gif

Also, I'm still in thr prologue area but it seems like the rad John Carpenterish music is gone wah
Yep the music feels like it belongs in a action adventure game. The one problem I have is traversing at night doesn't invoke fear like the first one did. In Dying Light you couldn't see at night unless you had a flashlight. Which when adding the music along with Volatiles chasing you added a sense of dread and heart pounding anxiety which adds to the atmosphere of the game. In this game seeing at night is easier because it's brighter for some reason. Not to mention there doesn't seem to be that many zombies around in the streets.

Thing I'm most annoyed with Is stamina depleting when you climb certain objects. It kills any momentum you have when running across rooftops and isn't fluid at all.

Top Bottom