• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E.X. Troopers (PS3/3DS) still not planned for the west

Metal B

Capcom was my favorite studio of 2012, but they got nothing but shit for it from western fans. RE6, Dragon's Dogma, Asura's Wrath, all with less sales than they expected. Everyone just trashes them every step of the way and declares how they won't buy any of their games because of DLC. Then they don't plan for one game to come over, and everyone acts genuinely offended. I don't get it.
You are joking right? You pretty much gave away your answer. They created them self a bad reputation. Horrible games like Resident Evil 5 and 6, "Test Games" on the Wii, DLC on Disk, cut content for extra-money, changing the formula of there games without a reason (DMC), almost killing one of there most sympathetic representative, lying, not listing to there fans and lot of other crap. It's sad that there good games suffer, but Capcom brought that on them self.

mollipen

Oh, I guess this is the title shidoshi was talking about on the last episode of WAHP where a bizarre design decision rendered a localization extremely unlikely. Good to have that mystery solved, but shame about the game.

I don't mean to continue the tease, but just to be clear, this is not the game I was referring to.

And it makes me laugh that a company would hard-code text into their games in this day and age, even if initially they have no plans for releasing it in other countries. Oh Japanese developers... why are you so you?

kunonabi

I think it's kind of silly to be offended. Sounds like the dreaded "E" word. They didn't want to design this for western release, and I honestly am having a hard time blaming them.

Capcom was my favorite studio of 2012, but they got nothing but shit for it from western fans. RE6, Dragon's Dogma, Asura's Wrath, all with less sales than they expected. Everyone just trashes them every step of the way and declares how they won't buy any of their games because of DLC. Then they don't plan for one game to come over, and everyone acts genuinely offended. I don't get it.

Capcom has been complete shit for the last couple years. Everything underperforming or bombing is surprising but deserved. I don't really mind troopers coming over since I'm still not buying Capcom games until they get their shit together but it sucks for those wanted to pick it up. Hopefully Capcom gets their shit together next year. Darkstalkers, AA5, and MH3U are a good start but we'll see what happens after that.

DLC isn't the only reason Capcom has been getting trashed either.

zroid

Banned
“You can tell this because all of the text is ‘hard coded’ as actual art. The text isn’t just standard ‘text’ that could be swapped relatively easily.”

“To localize a release, one would have to redo a ton of art in the game, not just do the localization and loc QA.”
wow, what the hell :\

that's cold, Capcpom

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Wicked. I am assuming you don't speak Japanese. Now I think I will get it.

I do speak some Japanese. I lived in Japan for a few years, and can read hiragana and katakana, and limited kanji. My Japanese IS total crap, though.

Shinta

Banned
You are joking right? You pretty much gave away your answer. They created them self a bad reputation. Horrible games like Resident Evil 5 and 6, "Test Games" on the Wii, DLC on Disk, cut content for extra-money, changing the formula of there games without a reason (DMC), almost killing one of there most sympathetic representative, lying, not listing to there fans and lot of other crap. It's sad that there good games suffer, but Capcom brought that on them self.

Yes, totally joking. I have a RE6 avatar by the way. It's just funny, the idea of someone actually loving their games is unthinkable to you guys. And you wonder why EX Troopers doesn't come over lol.

And DMC was changed because the DMC team is working on Dragon's Dogma. So instead of getting no DMC game, they tried something new.

Takao

Banned
I think it's kind of silly to be offended. Sounds like the dreaded "E" word. They didn't want to design this for western release, and I honestly am having a hard time blaming them.

Man, I've been salty about Capcom since Last Ranker, and I'm a MegaMan fan.

Noi

It's really fucking stupid because this isn't a no-name developer making a VN that wouldn't get localized anyway. It's CAPCOM. For a dev/publisher as large as they are to do something as mind bogglingly stupid as that in 2012 is beyond all belief. It's not even some game that would have had zero appeal in the west, but it's insulting that they'd essentially sabotage the game for no western release. It's effectively locking the game into one region for no reason.

Also, stop generalizing Capcom fans with such a massive brush. I absolutely loved Asura's Wrath and RE6, and I still think this is one of the most boneheaded and illogical design decisions I've ever heard them do. It goes beyond just "not planning to release a game in the west", it's effectively designing the game so that can never happen.

Eusis

Who knows, there might have been some minor benefits like a prettier UI or some silly stuff like that.

It is incredibly backwards thinking, but they probably thought to themselves "The game has no chance of ever being localized, so why should we even care?"
I've brought this up elsewhere and I actually am seeing some points brought up like presentation benefits given the nature of the Japanese language, and if the game doesn't have THAT much text it actually might not be that big of deal. Hell, thinking about it more it actually probably IS infinitely easier to localize than, say, Earthbound, which is basically hunting through the code to find the actual dialogue, replacing it, and making sure you don't break the entire game in the process.

I think I'll need to hunt down some gameplay videos and see how much it really matters, whether this is a real localization killer or if this IS more like the Phoenix Wright can't be in TvC crap.

cj_iwakura

Hahahahahah, why. Why the fuck would you do that. Ever.

Were the developers just trying to be spiteful and ensure that it would never, ever get released outside of Japan? Were they deliberately making it unlocalizable?

Unreal. Yeah, if that's true, don't ever expect this one to leave Japan, kids. Hell, that might be beyond the capabilities of most fan-translators, or it would take them forever, at least.

That's what we had to go through for Shikigami no Shiro.

Took two years.

Yes, totally joking. I have a RE6 avatar by the way. It's just funny, the idea of someone actually loving their games is unthinkable to you guys. And you wonder why EX Troopers doesn't come over lol.

Well, Capcom doesn't want our money so why should I care for "brand loyalty"?

Shinta

Banned
I think I'll need to hunt down some gameplay videos and see how much it really matters, whether this is a real localization killer or if this IS more like the Phoenix Wright can't be in TvC crap.

There's a demo on JPN PSN, so you can try it before importing.

So Capcom killed Megaman Legends 3 because it didn't expect much sales, then they created a new game based on a IP which more worldwide appeal like Lost Planet, but they made the game several times harder to localize killing any chance to localize it and then it finally bombed on Japan....

...WTF CAPCOM!!!

That's what we had to go through for Shikigami no Shiro.

Took two years.

Is there any reason for this or it just a way to fuck people in the west?

Eusis

There's a demo on JPN PSN, so you can try it before importing.
I probably won't import actually, I'm just curious to see how the text LOOKS in the game, and if they really do anything interesting. Demo probably would work better for that though, yes.

So Capcom killed Megaman Legends 3 because it didn't expect much sales, then they created a new game based on a IP which more worldwide appeal like Lost Planet, but they made the game several times harder to localize killing any chance to localize it and then it finally bombed on Japan....

...WTF CAPCOM!!!

Self fulfilling prophecy.

cj_iwakura

...WTF CAPCOM!!!

Is there any reason for this or it just a way to fuck people in the west?

Programmers being jerks. All the text in Shikigami no Shiro was stored in image format. Every single line of text had to be extracted, edited with image modification software, and reinserted into the game. This is every bit as fun as it sounds.

The game had 82 lines of dialogue.

Imagine doing that for an RPG or even a standard dialogue-heavy action game.

oBu60.jpg

There problem solved. What's the next excuse?

Drago

Redo... The art?

Huh?

Like, a font or something?
I think it means that the art has the text drawn on it, and it would have to be redrawn to replace the Japanese with English

Shame this has no chance of coming over. Looked really nice, maybe I'll import it for PS3 if it ever drops below $20, despite knowing nothing of Japanese.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Redo... The art?

Huh?

Like, a font or something?

The cutscenes have the actual text as part of the art. it's hardcoded. They can't just replace the text in the code to translate. They'd have to edit the art itself for EVERY LINE OF TEXT. That's insanity.

Considering how time consuming translation is in the first place, this roadblock makes it not even worth it.

thetrin

Btw, anyone who does have the game and wants to play, post in the OT. I'm happy to play through any mission with new players. I'm already max level, but at this point, I'm farming mats to max out all my weapons.

geebee

Banned
Import this game! You can easily play through it without the ability to read or understand Japanese. Some menus(mainly for online) you'll need to figure out through trial and error, but other than that, the game flow is pretty straight forward.

I got my copy last week and have been enjoying it a bit. If anyone plans on getting this or already has their copy add me on PSN..

PSN: BlueNocturne

Eusis

Ask yourself, does designing a game just to spite a country make any sense?
What's more likely is they take the opposite approach many of us would probably go for if we developed a game: I think everyone in this thread, if we were put in charge of creating a game especially at a bigger company like Capcom, would want it programmed so text can easily be swapped for localization needs so long as there was ANY chance of international release being a good idea. These guys (and maybe most Japanese developers?) seem to approach it from the other end, if localization is actually a very probable possibility, and if it isn't then they'll just code in whatever way they want, even if it turns out there actually is demand or may look like a good idea later on for whatever reason.

EDIT: Just some rewording and clarification.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
"hard coding" the text into the art is the dumbest fucking thing ever. Far too much effort for the artists to do that than it is just getting the coders to write it in code, even taking into account whatever filters, distortions, and finnicky AA issues the art gibbons wanted to address themselves. Any normal game artist who did that would be laughed out of their studios.

I can't imagine what it must've been like to actually address spelling mistakes reported back to them from QA.

geebee

Banned
"hard coding" the text into the art is the dumbest fucking thing ever. Far too much effort for the artists to do that than it is just getting the coders to write it in code, even taking into account whatever filters, distortions, and finnicky AA issues the art gibbons wanted to address themselves. Any normal game artist who did that would be laughed out of their studios.

I can't imagine what it must've been like to actually address spelling mistakes reported back to them from QA.
I can understand it after seeing the style of the cutscenes.. it's almost like manga panels that are slightly animated with all kinds of zooming, panning, and distortion effects even with the text.

Pikma

Banned
I won't even get mad over this, I'm actually glad the game sold like shit.

I can't believe Capcpom sabotaged themselves, it's hilarious.

Metal B

It's just funny, the idea of someone actually loving their games is unthinkable to you guys.
Wait, don't turn this around. You were asking, why people have instantly a bad opinion over Capcom. I simply gave you a lot of reasons, which answer your question, even so, you already had some good answers yourself. The question is more, how you can still like Capcom as a company after all the crap they did this generation. You can like there games, but the company all in all built up a bad reputation.

And DMC was changed because the DMC team is working on Dragon's Dogma. So instead of getting no DMC game, they tried something new.
Here is some idea: Don't develop a new DMC and wait after your team is finished with the new game. Instead of complete changing it and confusing your fans. People would be totally happy, to have the original team back at the series with a fresh mind.

The cutscenes have the actual text as part of the art. it's hardcoded. They can't just replace the text in the code to translate. They'd have to edit the art itself for EVERY LINE OF TEXT. That's insanity.

Considering how time consuming translation is in the first place, this roadblock makes it not even worth it.

Yeah it would take a considerable effort. Seems like the game was destined to be import only from the get-go. It's unfortunate, a western release could have been rad.

Well, looks like I'll be grabbing a Region 2 copy sooner rather than later. :p

Btw, anyone who does have the game and wants to play, post in the OT. I'm happy to play through any mission with new players. I'm already max level, but at this point, I'm farming mats to max out all my weapons.

Now that is a resounding endorsement! I'll try and hit you up for a game or two down the road. ;)

thetrin

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=500542

Hehe, the title I gave the OT is still appropriate.

Fun game so far. It's pretty simplistic, but I'm enjoying it.

I think its simplicity is part of its addiction. I think the SP campaign pales in comparison to the multiplayer, imo.

Now that is a resounding endorsement! I'll try and hit you up for a game or two down the road. ;)

my ID is thetrin.

Feel free to add me. I'm always up to play. Things are bit in flux at the moment as I move for a new job, so my schedule isn't totally reliable, but when I'm on, I promise I'm down to play!

Dwayne

After terrible first week sales in Japan, i'm hoping it bombs soon so I can get a pair cheap to do co-op with a friend.

edit: already down to 3,680 yen on amazon.jp

Disappointing but we already knew this. I say this every thread but I still can't believe that this is the same company that was CAPGOD as recently as the beginning of this gen.

I guess I'll just import the PS3 version once my backlog clears a little, it will probably be cheaper then anyway.

Top Bottom