• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E.X. Troopers (PS3/3DS) still not planned for the west

goldenpp72

Does this game have a high budget of any sort? I'm trying to understand how they would think turning MML3 into this and then only releasing it in Japan would make the most financial sense -_- (Unless i'm mistaken on the origins)

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Didn't like the demo much. The game is surprisingly cheap already for an import. Still sucks though.

CorySchmitz

Btw, anyone who does have the game and wants to play, post in the OT. I'm happy to play through any mission with new players. I'm already max level, but at this point, I'm farming mats to max out all my weapons.

I'm ordering it. I'd love to play! I'll post in the OT when the time comes. Are the servers in the ASIAN and JP versions the same?

Tain

Surprised that they really didn't want to bother writing some logic to work with fonts, but maybe the game has a ton of stylized text or something. I know Konami does this stuff with their music games. Even the song titles in IIDX song select screens are images, hilariously. Putting all the work on those artists!

Either way, no big. Waiting on publishers for localization is a sucker's game anyway.

No this is very lame! Hope someday they could at least throw it up on eShop with some shitty subtitles thrown on the bottom screen or somewhere to translate this "hard coded text". Stuff like this really bums me out because we would no doubt get this game back 10 or 15 years ago. I hate how Japan isn't really given a fair chance in America.

Joni

So the developers behind it are actual idiots? Anyway, how import friendly is this title? (PS3 version)

Yagharek

I would have bought the game had Capcom decided to bring it out in english language territories. Obviously they didnt want to, the game bombed and with it any chance of a wider release.

Pretty poor project management overall.

Tiktaalik

What an utterly baffling way to make a game! Even if you did have zero plans to localize the title, making the text an art asset is still the least efficient way to do things. It's so bizarre I do have to wonder if Capcom is just making this up as an excuse. If true the producer for this title should be let go for extreme incompetence.

ChryZ

They should just subtitle it, leave all the Japanese text and voice acting as it is. I'm sure that there's a market for that in the West.

Galdelico

Is the game still playable/enjoyable for those - like me - alre 100% unable to read/understand japanese?
Because, if so, at this point I may start considering to import it for the PS3.

Kyoufu

Is the game still playable/enjoyable for those - like me - alre 100% unable to read/understand japanese?
Because, if so, at this point I may start considering to import it for the PS3.

If you don't mind missing out on the cliche shounen anime story then yes, absolutely.

Galdelico

If you don't mind missing out on the cliche shounen anime story then yes, absolutely.
Yeah, I'm used to import by many generations and I don't really mind missing story tidbits: I was more concerned about more gameplay-related stuff. Thanks man.

Conan-san

Hum... let me see here. Not releasing the only game that had anything going for it, still going to release shitty Devil May Cry reboot.

SBIzQ.gif

I'm done. Capcom can do as they please, it's clear that they care not for their own survival any more.

ezekial45

Banned
Hum... let me see here. Not releasing the only game that had anything going for it, still going to release shitty Devil May Cry reboot.

http://i.imgur.com/SBIzQ.gif

I'm done. Capcom can do as they please, it's clear that they care not for their own survival any more.[/QUOTE]

Seriously, the game would've sold less here in the states than in Japan. I know you're mad that they aren't releasing it here, but it makes a lot of sense business wise.

Conan-san

Seriously, the game would've sold less here in the states than in Japan. I know you're mad that they aren't releasing it here, but it makes a lot of sense business wise.
If the business is not doing business, then sure, it's a fucking masterstroke.

Where I'm standing it's Capcom standing from the highest precipice and screaming "WE ARE CAPCOM! WE CARE NOT FOR ANYTHING BUT THE STUPIDEST SHIT EVER! HERE HAVE NEW DANTE! IT'S LIKE OLD DANTE ONLY IT'S STUPIDER AND CAN ONLY RETORT WITH THE WORD "FUCK"!"

Takao

Banned

SBIzQ.gif

I'm done. Capcom can do as they please, it's clear that they care not for their own survival any more.

What you really should be mad about is the fact that Mega Man Legends 3 was sacrificed for this game. MML3 would've outsold this game guaranteed, lol.

Conan-san

why is it so incredibly vital that Capcom localize this action game?

I dunno, anything ANYTHING to get the sour taste of DmC's rancid existance out would be nice about now.

And, no, some podunk little indi project that's more about SF than Megaman doesn't count.

ezekial45

Banned
I dunno, anything ANYTHING to get the sour taste of DmC's rancid existance out would be nice about now.

And, no, some podunk little indi project that's more about SF than Megaman doesn't count.

That came from a big Mega Man fan who worked on it by himself. Now you're just being a jerk.

Just import it E.X Troopers. Problem solved.

Conan-san

That came from a big Mega Man fan who worked on it by himself. Now you're just being a jerk.

Just import it E.X Troopers. Problem solved.

Well, no, capcom still gets money so that's the mathematical opposite of solving the problem.

And good on the guy doing it, still doesn't make capcom releasing it themselves a tick in their collum.

Eusis

why is it so incredibly vital that Capcom localize this action game?
Need more 3DS games is a huge part of it I think. Also that import only allure with a game that doesn't look TOO blatantly niche for the US unlike, say, Love Plus. Sure, it's anime, but it's not Moe or anything, and it's about shooting stuff.

But yeah, unless this is a sort of "going more Japanese means it's more successful!" thing that Lost Planet 2 didn't have going for it it probably wouldn't sell enough anyway. I'm just annoyed they pre-emptively screwed up localization chances.

Conan-san

Also it's a bright and colourful shooter. When was the last time that happened? Could you imagine that on a PS3 screen. Would make that huge TV totally worth it.

But no, Capcom clearly knows best and what we want is "Dante" and what is supposed to be a Succubus (hey, guys I know you played fast and loose with Saiyuki for Ensalved and all but succubi are supposed to be sexy and that thing is not going to get no man's seed) screaming "fuck you" at each other all day in military approved drab brown.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm ordering it. I'd love to play! I'll post in the OT when the time comes. Are the servers in the ASIAN and JP versions the same?

yep. They're all the same.

Surprised that they really didn't want to bother writing some logic to work with fonts, but maybe the game has a ton of stylized text or something. I know Konami does this stuff with their music games. Even the song titles in IIDX song select screens are images, hilariously. Putting all the work on those artists!

Either way, no big. Waiting on publishers for localization is a sucker's game anyway.

The text itself is a pretty straight forward font, sitting in a white speech bubble. There's nothing stylized about it.

I still cannot get into this game. Boring as hell.

Yeah, can't help you there, Lyte Edge. I think the game is fucking awesome.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
They could at least double their sales if they localized.

Hardcoded text aside, I'm pretty sure the numbers show that doubling their sales would still be a loss after localization is factored in. They wouldn't even make back the cost of localization, I imagine.

Hardcoded text aside, I'm pretty sure the numbers show that doubling their sales would still be a loss after localization is factored in. They wouldn't even make back the cost of localization, I imagine.
They could always just subtitle the voices and text.
Maybe I should download the PS demo...

Defunkled

I'm going to Japan in a few weeks so hopefully I'll pick up the PS3 version of this while I'm over there. I really enjoyed the demo!

thetrin

Yeah, but localization is more than just subbing things. They have to print discs, print box art, arrange retail space, etc. etc. Factor that all in, and the cost of localization would easily trump 20k sales, making it a net loss no matter which way you spin it.

They could cut corners on localization by offering it through certain retailers, but then you're limiting your sales further by doing that.

(and yes, you should try out the demo)

Eusis

It'd probably look too sloppy and unprofessional for a major release. Seriously, you're talking about having these text bubbles pop up, then text on the bottom of the screen translating what was in that bubble, and this happens for ALL dialogue? What the fuck?

Absolutely.

I also just want to say that the control system feels great, as it's not your typical 3rd/first person control scheme. The use of face buttons and left analog make the game feel "classic" in its design.

I wonder if that was a zone of contention for the people who didn't care for it?

I know I'm just spouting nonsense, as someone who primarily plays Japanese developed games this seems like a sad loss. I will be pissed if Layton vs AA doesn't come over... :(

Drago

I know I'm just spouting nonsense, as someone who primarily plays Japanese developed games this seems like a sad loss. I will be pissed if Layton vs AA doesn't come over... :(

I wouldn't be surprised if they treat Layton vs AA as next years traditional Layton game, and save Layton 6 for Fall 2014. Gives them a lot more time to localize number 6 and is also promotion for the AA series.

At least, I hope that's what they do! Who knows at this point though.

Top Bottom