• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E.X. Troopers (PS3/3DS) still not planned for the west

CamHostage

Sad.

Well, Capcom wasn't afraid of releasing the Mega Mans untranslated on the Import store on PSN, so maybe they could be persuaded to try this there too as a last resort? There's certainly no fear of reverse-importation hurting domestic sales going by those Japanese sales numbers...

This is horribly ironic. Sure, Capcom: ignore your Rockman fanbase, start selling a darling project that has no precedent for success outside of its shounen set-up and Lost Planet setting, and watch the figures crawl upward like molasses. I haven't played the game myself, but I do know that I'd rather be playing Legends 3 right now and knowing that it would have sold around a 100K copies or so. E.X. Troopers looks great; the tragedy here involves Capcpom and their poor business decisions.

—One of those decisions: making it exceedingly difficult to translate the game's dialogue. Good goin'! One of the major draws of playing the game, I'd imagine, is reading that snappy Dai Sato writing. I feel sorry for the man. He was all hyped-up on the game when I saw him at a convention the previous summer. Shit.

LuCkymoON

Banned
So they could added subtitles and leave the Japanese text alone?
Honestly, it seems sometimes the Japanese go through great lengths to make sure no one plays their games.

CamHostage

I believe the reasoning for the lack of localization. It's been the reason for games not coming over or having segments cut when they ARE localized. What's mind boggling is how a developer would pretty much sabotage a game's localization chances by doing something like that in 2012. It's not like Capcom doesn't know better.

I'm wondering what text he's referring to. If it's all the manga-style "POW!!" text that pops up in story panels then yes, that would be difficult to reprogram (although the game code is in-house, it's certainly doable if the game were to be a hit.) If they're talking about the text bubbles that pop up from characters, I'm not sure why they would have done that as graphics because that's a ton of storage for no good reason? I thought the text would be really stylized to fit the game, that would have made sense for what E.X. Troopers is and I would agree that it'd be a time-consuming fix, but this is just kanjii-on-background-color, no reason why the developer would burn that in. (The fix for this wouldn't be impossible though, replace all the Japanese text bubbles with blank bubbles and instruct your subtitles to fit the confines, you'd just need to get a text writer into the engine if that were not in there already.)

So maybe the general text is not what Svensson's talking about? I could live with untranslated manga panels, if I could make it worth Capcom's while to localize the game.

Gameplay Clip with text: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7nyNi_i5occ#t=370s

Conan-san

Yeah, that's what I got out of that too. But then again, this is a brave new capcom for whom the term "Good PR" has never entered thier lexicon.

Top Bottom