• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2009 Microsoft Conference Thread

RSLAEV

Damnit I'm on page 68 of this monster thread and I'm gonna read every page. But I gotta post in it for posterity.

Overall It sounded like a great presentation-takes me back to the good ol' days *sniff*

Can't wait to go troll the Sony and Nintendo threads.

Speaking of which I guess I should give a shout out to all the haters that just had to post how bored an unimpressed they were-stay classy guys ;)

LCfiner

Phoenix Fang said:
Meh

Conference was boring. Nothing really worth getting excited for. I was hoping to see good surprises not another boring Movie Gear Solid game.

I gotta ask, what would have gotten you excited?

Shurs

gofreak said:
I thought LP2 was 09, no..?

I'm guessing APB isn't 2009 given the lack of release info at EA's presser, but last we heard it was 360/PC.

I must be missing some games though, or otherwise it'd be nice if MS beefed things up a bit, preferably within E3. No way MS can exit E3 with half as many exclusives for the rest of the year as Sony has going into E3.

I could be confusing it with Mass Effect 2, but I thought it was a fiscal 2009 release date. I do find it odd that this was not at the Microsoft press conference. Mass Effect 2, as well.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I was just browsing the fact sheet for the Xbox Live announcements, and it says that music games will have their own stores coming soon (RB, GH and Lips).

Also:

3586512929_8ca6bcb00b.jpg

AFreak

Banned
lawblob said:
Amazing. To be clear, we're both talking about the system with ZERO Square Enix games and TWO good FPS in its library? That is some hard core shit right there...

By the time PS3 gets a single Square game, 360 will have like 15 of them. By the time PS3 gets its third good FPS (MAG), 360 will have like 20 of them. By the time PS3 finally gets inFamous, 360 gets Crackdown 2, etc.....
Infamous is already out.

LCfiner said:
I gotta ask, what would have gotten you excited?
This is GAF. They could have announced a new $99 Xbox 720 with a fleshlight attachment that fellates you while the console beams ultra-high def gaming nirvana directly into the pleasure centers of your brain while simultaneously printing $100 bills and certain people here would still have declared it to be "meh/lame/retarded/gay"

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Shurs said:
I could be confusing it with Mass Effect 2, but I thought it was a fiscal 2009 release date. I do find it odd that this was not at the Microsoft press conference. Mass Effect 2, as well.

It showed up at EA quite prominently, I think they just wanted to show it themselves. But ME2 is confirmed for next year.

Retrofluxed

RSLAEV said:
Can't wait to go troll the Sony and Nintendo threads.

Speaking of which I guess I should give a shout out to all the haters that just had to post how bored an unimpressed they were-stay classy guys ;)

Pot, meet kettle.

Shurs

Gary Whitta said:
This is GAF. They could have announced a new $99 Xbox 720 with a fleshlight attachment that fellates you while the console beams ultra-high def gaming nirvana directly into the pleasure centers of your brain while simultaneously printing $100 bills and certain people here would still have declared it to be "meh/lame/retarded/gay"

Or we could do the opposite.

Gary Whitta said:
Molyneux just called it a landmark in computer entertainment... and he's not exaggerating.

This is some serious game-changing shit... I don't know how Sony or Nintendo can follow this. Microsoft didn't just win E3, they just won this generation.

Barrett2

TheFatOne said:
That's why I'm enjoying your meltdown :lol

If its any consolation, i'll probably be going froth-at-the-mouth crazy over how awesome I think PSPGO! is during Sony's conference, declaring i'll buy ten, etc.. E3 + life changing exam coming up in a few weeks is quite a combustible tandem. I even woke up at 4:45 this morning to play inFamous before school to relieve some stress... im' pretty sure I will be deranged this entire summer until this damn test is over, for better or worse. :lol

BruceLeeRoy said:
Edge has a really good write up of their impressions of the conference.
Here
EDGE said:
At an event widely expected to resume the pre-2007 razzle dazzle, Xbox didn’t just come to steal the show; it stole the living room as well. Then, just for good measure, it stole Metal Gear Solid, Steven Spielberg, and gestural control along with it. There were so many broadsides that even the most innocuous image – an elephant in Africa, for instance (or should that be Afrika?) – seemed aimed at someone. The message, then: completeness – and then some.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Well I could have, but I'm too lazy.

snack said:
Microsoft literally fired on every cylinder. Good luck to Sony and Nintendo, hard act to follow.

Not every cylinder, Where was the zune? I think it is funny that now my 360 will work with last.fm but my zune still can't..... :(

.GqueB.

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
I honestly wouldnt like that at all...

snack said:
Microsoft literally fired on every cylinder. Good luck to Sony and Nintendo, hard act to follow.

Ha I don't think Nintendo has ever followed up any act successfully but then again they don't really care.
Your right about Sony though. I don't think its really possible for them to top what was shown today but we shall see.

harSon

Banned
outunderthestars said:
Not every cylinder, Where was the zune? I think it is funny that now my 360 will work with last.fm but my zune still can't..... :(

I'm pretty sure I saw a zune section on the dashboard when Kudo was demonstrating the Natal control of it.

FrankT

Gary Whitta said:
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Indeed

cjelly said:
I was just browsing the fact sheet for the Xbox Live announcements, and it says that music games will have their own stores coming soon (RB, GH and Lips).

Also:

3586512929_8ca6bcb00b.jpg

Is this just a new general store style that is coming for specific games/content?

outunderthestars said:
Not every cylinder, Where was the zune?
That particular cylinder has been misfiring from the start.

Actually Zune HD does look kinda nice and I was expecting to hear about some kind of integration especially with the Zune rebranding of the video store.

Gary Whitta said:
That particular cylinder has been misfiring from the start.

Actually Zune HD does look kinda nice and I was expecting to hear about some kind of integration especially with the Zune rebranding of the video store.

Yeah I was planning on getting the HD one. I hope they announce or clarify some of the integration over the next couple of days.

jedimike

Best conference I have ever seen by MS. Rock fuckin solid with a great blend of games, gadgets, and show. My only dissapointment was the lack of a Hulu unveiling. Everything else was gravy. It feels good to be excited about Splinter Cell again. Great Netflix improvements, the gesture control is awesome, and the exclusives make me a happy 360 owner.

BruceLeeRoy said:
Ha I don't think Nintendo has ever followed up any act successfully but then again they don't really care.
Your right about Sony though. I don't think its really possible for them to top what was shown today but we shall see.

Personally, I they show TRICO in all its glory, for me they might...but I seriously doubt they will reveal anything...

I am impressed MS even got a demo fo FFXIII up there

RobbieNick

jedimike said:
Best conference I have ever seen by MS. Rock fuckin solid with a great blend of games, gadgets, and show. My only dissapointment was the lack of a Hulu unveiling. Everything else was gravy. It feels good to be excited about Splinter Cell again. Great Netflix improvements, the gesture control is awesome, and the exclusives make me a happy 360 owner.

QFT! My sentiments exactly.:D

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Gary Whitta said:
Couldn't have said it better myself. Well I could have, but I'm too lazy.
Pretty much. Let's face it, everything your average gamer could want is on Xbox.

BruceLeeRoy said:

Epic announces Gears 3 for PS3 tomorrow.

Fuck I want SC and Alan Wake. Those games blew me away (for different reasons). How freaking atmospheric was Alan Wake, eh? God damn all over my hair.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
nelsonroyale said:
Personally, I they show TRICO in all its glory, for me they might...but I seriously doubt they will reveal anything...

Sony would have a hard time beating this conference on the showmanship front, but on the content front I think MS left the door wide open here, at least wrt 2009.

Even if Sony didn't show up tomorrow, their exclusives lineup through the rest of the year is substantially larger than what MS has publicised, unless I'm very much mistaken (got very little input on that the last couple of pages, so..). Sony needs to do very little on that front, content exposition, for this year, they've pretty much laid out this year already and it looks very competitive to say the least.

And a 2010 group of GoWIII/GT5/Trico would be more than a match for the '10 offerings shown here IMO.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Epic announces Gears 3 for PS3 tomorrow.
I think it would take something of that magnitude to get the ball back over the net and into Microsoft's court again tomorrow.

Or a new PlayStation 4 that you wear like underpants (with Dual Shock, natch - one for each gonad).

And it's free.

Then we might have a ball game again.

JimiNutz

Banned
The two big misses for me were the absence of Rare and Zune HD, particularly Rare.
Overall the conference was very solid but I was so disappointed that Rare wasn’t there. I really want Perfect Dark XBLA, or PD2 :(
I mean how hard can it be to port PD to XBLA?

It's a shame they didn't have a killer game to showcase the camera tech as well. The tech demos were fine, but a fully fledged game would have been more convincing IMO.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
NutJobJim said:
The two big misses for me were the absence of Rare and Zune HD, particularly Rare.
Overall the conference was very solid but I was so disappointed that Rare wasn’t there. I really want Perfect Dark XBLA, or PD2 :(
I mean how hard can it be to port PD to XBLA?

It's a shame they didn't have a killer game to showcase the camera tech as well. The tech demos were fine, but a fully fledged game would have been more convincing IMO.
We still have GC this year, right?

Chin up. :(

Lion Heart said:
Fuck I want SC and Alan Wake. Those games blew me away (for different reasons). How freaking atmospheric was Alan Wake, eh? God damn all over my hair.

Yeah they both looks so excellent. I love the new direction of SC and Alan Wake is the game I have wanted to see a developer make since the first Silent Hill.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
jedimike said:
Best conference I have ever seen by MS.
That's what I thought too.

They came absolutely loaded. Game after game after game. New feature after new feature. Sure, not everything worked, but at least they tried. :lol

And while Milo doesn't seem like he'll have any immediate use or payoff for games now, it was a pretty cool tech demo in and of itself.

FrankT

On a side note Shane Kim stated earlier on G4 they simply did not have enough room to showcase all their 2009 titles in the show. So maybe we'll see something from Rare this week (talk of them spreading them throughout the week). Although they may need to say something for whatever the Leipzig conference is now.

spwolf

MGS news were pretty darn good for 360 fans... everything else is kind of cool i guess. I expected them to move a lot faster with that camera thing, it seems like 2 years away.

A friend of mine who contracts very closely with Sony on the gaming side just refused to confirm OR deny the existence of the new underpants configuration PS4 when I put it to him just now... I think I may have inadvertently stumbled onto something here...

I haven't had the opportunity to judge the reaction on GAF due to the crashing, but the IRC was all over the place. Generally regarded as above averaged to mixed, there was a lot of content shown, but most of it expected, not mindblowing but not disappointing, either. The several low points lasted a little too long, but it didn't ruin everything. Overall, a lot better than last year's so-so conference. That about cover it on GAF, too?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Jtyettis said:
On a side note Shane Kim stated earlier on G4 they simply did not have enough room to showcase all their 2009 titles in the show. So maybe we'll see something from Rare this week (talk of them spreading them throughout the week). Although they may need to say something for whatever the Leipzig conference is now.

They should, the conference left a short fall there IMO, by the numbers at least. Some more visibility coming out of E3 would alleviate any 'wait for' syndrome which Microsoft was supposed to kind of take care of at this E3.

Like I'm surprised 99 Nights 2 wasn't there..yes, it seems like a TGS candidate, but I'm sure they're lining it up for NA this year too.

Top Bottom