• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2009 Nintendo Conference Thread

Cosmozone

Iron_Scimitar said:
Why so serious Carrie?
Haha, I thought so, too. As if she wanted to imitate Reggie. :lol

Good output from the show although the show itself was really boring. And... co-op and user generated content, two of the most unimportant things in gaming for me, argh. Well, co-op is okay but the other thing is just unnecessary, along with facebook. But I guess others dig it. Why must they go this way, sob. And that pulse reading thing, WTF. Too bad my Wii is nowhere near my bed so it can't help me falling asleep (I'd actually need it), or what was the purpose again?

They should've shown Silent Hill, it's more promising than Dead Space, RE and Conduit together. And I've got a distant feeling that the story of the new Metroid game will be crap. Will play it anyway.

Neo C.

ViperVisor said:
Nintendo has more bases to cover.

They did a solid job.

Pacing was good other than Mario Bros. Wii
Basically this. They have done a good job, giving every kind of gamers new games (even the girlie girls). It's a very diverse presentation for two platforms, not as narrow as other companies.

Zachack

d+pad said:
I hate to agree with NOA's PR whores, but they're right when they say the hardcore crowd can't be pleased, no matter what.
The "hardcore crowd" (whatever that is) seemed pretty pleased by MS' conference. Do you know why?

Because they showed "hardcore" games coming out in 2009. The two "megaton" games (I'm not sure how an Itagaki-less Team Ninja is supposed to get me excited) aren't coming until 2010 and neither is S&P2. Which means that Fall 2009 is going to be pretty barren, again, although I'm sure the Lowered Standards fans (see: The Conduit thread) will make big lists and laugh amongst themselves with whatever new halfwit meme they think is clever.

Zachack said:
The "hardcore crowd" (whatever that is) seemed pretty pleased by MS' conference. Do you know why?

Because they showed "hardcore" games coming out in 2009. The two "megaton" games (I'm not sure how an Itagaki-less Team Ninja is supposed to get me excited) aren't coming until 2010 and neither is S&P2. Which means that Fall 2009 is going to be pretty barren, again, although I'm sure the Lowered Standards fans (see: The Conduit thread) will make big lists and laugh amongst themselves with whatever new halfwit meme they think is clever.

man you sound bitter

LM4sure

Banned
Well, it's confirmed. Nintendo's conference CRUSHED Microsoft's conference. Can Sony top them both? Not looking good thus far. They're talking about the PS2! Today's PS2 buyers are tomorrow's PS3 buyers?!!? LOL, really?!!:lol

Zachack

DevelopmentArrested said:
Like Alan Wake and Halo Reach.
Do you realize how silly this makes you look?

I don't think you do.
man you sound bitter
The only thing that I'm bitter about is that the threads for the games I do want will yet again be overflowing with hyperventilating Nintendo fans who can't tolerate any critical discussion of their precious few games. If a lot of varied games had been announced then they'd be like almost any other thread where you get a couple morons but everything else is pretty normal (I say almost because there's always things like the KZ2 thread or GT fans).

Eteric Rice

The pulse thing was stupid. I really don't know why it's there.

The only thing I could think of as a game developer wannabe (lol) is a horror game that attempts to scare the shit out of you when the thing detects that you're not afraid.

Has someone put up the Metroid trailer up.

I just want to se Adam in full 3D again.

I think that Nintendo has done the story in this one. And it seems canon. The intros they showed are fully connected to the Metroid Zero Mission manga (and that one is canon), and the story of that was done by the director of Fusion and Zero. Characters (the black bounty hunter for example) and desings for Metroid: The Other M are extracted from the mangas.

Im as excited as a little girl seeing the city in the capital planets, its inhabitants at maybe some bounty hunter Samus work.

And two Samus at the end, holy fuck!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Better than last year. Maybe a B. Horrible presentation it sounds like, but it is the games that matter and I think they did a pretty good job there. Hope we get more stuff from the Japanese side later in the week.

Microsoft's was better and will probably have more buzz from the media, but I don't see how people can call this horrible, worst conference ever, etc. Much better than the past 2 years.

chase

At least they showed some games I want, even if nothing at the conference really excited me. Though I've complained about both, I'll be getting Samey Mario Galaxy 2 on day 1, and I'll probably get NSMB Wii even though I don't care about multiplayer and I didn't really like NSMB...yeah, I'm a sucker.

As for Metroid, well that's an initially cool announcement, but...Team Ninja? They're terrible at story and art (just see the FMV). I mean...sigh. I'm reserving judgement, especially since I need to watch the trailer again to really make sense of it.

People keep saying, "2 marios! sequel to 2007 goty! new metroid!" but for me there are significant issues for each of these.

laserbeam said:
Its either 6 pm PST or 6:30 PST. Estimated length is 1hr 30 minutes so longer than their conference

Interesting. It would be odd to have Miyamoto appear after a conspicuous absence from the actual conference and not show anything new, but I'm not getting my hopes up. On the whole, I'm reasonably satisfied with what was shown, despite the absence of Retro/Pikmin/Zelda.

chase said:
At least they showed some games I want, even if nothing at the conference really excited me. Though I've complained about both, I'll be getting Samey Mario Galaxy 2 on day 1, and I'll probably get NSMB Wii even though I don't care about multiplayer and I didn't really like NSMB...yeah, I'm a sucker.

As for Metroid, well that's an initially cool announcement, but...Team Ninja? [n]They're terrible at story[/n] and art (just see the FMV). I mean...sigh. I'm reserving judgement, especially since I need to watch the trailer again to really make sense of it.

People keep saying, "2 marios! sequel to 2007 goty! new metroid!" but for me there are significant issues for each of these.

Im certain the stroy part is from Nintendo.
Toatlly cannon with the Zero Mission mangas from what they showed. And that were done by the fusion and zero mission director.

Chumly

Ok so the conference went from pretty decent to start out with (New Super Mario Bros Wii) to complete fucking fail (everything up until the end) to complete awesome (Galaxy 2 Metroid etc) to fucking fail again with the release schedule......

Fuzzy said:
Nintendo

Wii

Wii Sports Resort™ July 26, 2009
New Super Mario Bros. Wii™ Holiday 2009
Wii Fit™ Plus Fall 2009
Endless Ocean™ 2 Q1 2010
Sin and Punishment™ 2 Q1 2010
Metroid™: Other M 2010
Super Mario Galaxy™ 2 2010
Monado: Beginning of the World™ TBD
Span Smasher™ TBD
Line Attack Heroes™ TBD

DS

The Legendary Starfy™ June 7, 2009
Fossil Fighters™ Aug. 10, 2009
Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box™ Aug. 24, 2009
Mario & Luigi™: Bowser’s Inside Story Fall 2009
Pokémon™ Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky Fall 2009
Style Savvy™ Holiday 2009
The Legend of Zelda™: Spirit Tracks Holiday 2009
Glory of Heracles™ 2010
Golden Sun™ DS 2010
WarioWare D.I.Y.™ TBD
Picross 3D™ TBD

FUCK THAT this is all we are getting in 2009?

Wii Fit™ Plus Fall 2009

WHAT THE FUCK......

BikoBiko

Pretty good conference, but after looking around on their press site, why the hell didn't they show off Layton 2? That's a pretty huge deal right there.

Pretty good showing from Cammie though, last year she spoke to us like we were little kids, the serious tone was much more fitting.

MisterHero

Chumly said:
FUCK THAT this is all we are getting in 2009?

Wii Fit™ Plus Fall 2009

WHAT THE FUCK......
Even if it was realized just recently, 2009's a good year for 3rd-Party games.

Cygnus X-1

Anyway, right now that I re-saw everything, Nintendo actually made a great showing. Not the conference: the conference was BORING. But for what concern number of games and number of surprises, I'm pleased.

And Metroid rocks.

Some nice games coming next year, but I'm feeling pretty crushed that there was no Trace Memory R. It was the game I was looking forward to most, and to see it ignored is pretty depressing.

I really don't see what's holding NoA back on this game, they are already translating it into English for the PAL market and it would be a great game to help fill their currently non-existant fall "line-up".

RagnarokX

20zqj9i.gif

boiled goose

good with gravy
Basileus777 said:
Nintendo's problem this year isn't that they lacked games, they just put together a shitty conference.

i agree.

this year they had games to show and announcements.
they just failed at garnering excitement. i think they had to be more aggressive about the awesomeness of their platforms, maybe highlighting the increase in quality releases the wii will have this year and some of the great stuff already out. i am a a fun of short montages of actual games.

Dragmire

Yeah, it was the presentation of the conference that was dry and underwhelming. The games they showed are pretty good. Golden Sun DS looked amazing. Wii Sports Resort actually looks like a fun game to get the M+ with. The archery surprised me, as well as the sky diving. I was mainly disappointed that there were no big new third party games announced. It's like third parties are just deciding to skip the Wii and wait for Sony and MS's motion control. It's ridiculous.

I'm more excited about Endless Ocean 2 and Wii Sports Resort than anything else they showed off. And this is coming from a huge Mario and Metroid fan.

Can someone tell me what the hell is up with Wii Fit Plus? Cammie was explaining stuff but nothing sounded like new features, rather just 15 new mini-games.

Ponn

Banned
Is there a download for the conference out yet?

And the OP sucks and I guess the mods don't give a shit enough to edit for the OP.

Johnas

I was still at work when Nintendo's conference occurred, but I haven't seen anything around here about Pikmin.

Was Pikmin 3 mentioned at all?

Amir0x

Banned
I am pretty fucking happy about Super Mario Galaxy 2. And I don't know what the hell to think about Team Ninja Metroid.

But other than that, kinda unspectacular. i mean, again they just keep shitting out games in their classic IPs with some smaller shit on the side, but i really wish they would make an original hardcore IP with the budget of a Mario or a Zelda. Or the feverish originality of the first Pikmin.

Ah well, I'll take my Endless Ocean 2 and fucking like it.

In a lot of ways we got precisely what we asked for- a new Mario (two in fact) and Metroid. But damn if it doesn't deliver upon my expectations like previous efforts (Galaxy, Prime 1-3).

Wow, I completely forgot E3 was this week. From what I've read, Nintendo had their usual ho-hum conference. I don't know what people are expecting anymore, I think 2004 (DS and Twilight Princess) spoiled them. I'm excited for a new Super Mario Galaxy, since it is (IMO) the best game on Wii.

I'm disappointed about no Zelda, maybe tonight...?

Johnas

worldrunover said:
Wow, I completely forgot E3 was this week. From what I've read, Nintendo had their usual ho-hum conference. I don't know what people are expecting anymore, I think 2004 (DS and Twilight Princess) spoiled them. I'm excited for a new Super Mario Galaxy, since it is (IMO) the best game on Wii.

I'm disappointed about no Zelda, maybe tonight...?

I wouldn't be extremely surprised to see something about the new Zelda tonight at Miyamoto's deal. It'd sort of be the SSBB of this E3.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
:lol RagnarokX

Yeah, I don't think Nintendo know how to make an entertaining conference anymore. They had lots of interesting games with info and trailers to accompany them, but other than the BIG hitters (Galaxy 2, Team Ninja Metroid, NSMB Wii) none of it was shown - they decided instead to show off either some varied but uninteresting titles (like that Woman's Murder Mystery wotsit) or that really ridiculously dumb vitality sensor, or yet again more sales charts.

If the aim of their conference is to appeal to the mass market reporters that proclaimed them the "winners" of E3 2007 with Wii Fit, then surely they would have learned from last year's disasterous conference where even the mainstream media thought they did a poor job. And this year it felt as though nobody was having fun, few jokes, no enthused audience.

I'm very happy with the Nintendo stuff for this E3 in general content terms, particularly with some third party offerings like the amazing-looking Red Steel 2. I wasn't happy with their conference. The other two had more entertaining, better thought-out shows.

d+pad

At first I was a bit ho-hum about the presser, but after looking through the media and watching the trailers, I'm fully stoked. I mean, Wii Sports Resort, NSMB Wii, SMG 2, Endless Ocean 2 and S&P 2 all look amazing - and all will be day 1 purchases for me.

Hell, I'm even curious about Wii Fit Plus, if only because it seems I'll finally be able to set up routines (without having to click through menus between each set). I'm a bit worried about the number of new strength exercizes, but I guess I'll have to wait and see about that...

starmud

2010 is looking hothothothot omg @____@

2009... either guessed it, was announced, squeal fodder... still a pretty good lineup when you consider the 3rd party games coming.

and wii health/heart rate monitor is coming D:

Well ok, this was probably the worst conference by far. The ONLY surprise being Metroid.
Golden Sun DS was sort of a surprise, but not many people care. I guess I may buy it.

Mario Galaxy 2, even though I will be all over that shit, it looks really lazy. It looks exactly the same, which is a good thing since the original is quality, but still, it looks more like DLC than anything else.

New SMB looks insanely uninspired.

Top Bottom