E3 2009 Sony Conference Thread

May 26, 2007
863
0
845
Gary Whitta said:
That was, as stated, a prediction based on what was rumored/known to be in the briefing (almost everything). And I stand by the prediction although I think I'd upgrade it to a flat C or maybe a B- because Uncharted 2 looked fantastic and the motion controller was slightly less of a Wii Motion Plus clone than I expected it to be.

EDIT: Downgrading it back to a flat C because the PSP Go price point is a joke.
yeh, I'm sure all of SONY is CRUSHED that you gave it a C.
 
Aug 14, 2006
11,638
0
0
Donos said:
oh god. the moment when tretton said "FF 14" was so priceless. Some ppl in the crowd thought that he ment 13Versus - like me. Than the trailer kicking in. good shocker.
That was me and I was ultra hyped right up to the end.

Then the logo appeared (IGN Happy)

Then the word "online" appeared underneeth (IGN sad)
 
Aselith said:
I could see it working. A person using some sort of prop like a fake gun would probably do fairly well. Granted nobody would be using that for competitive play but it could definitely work on singleplayer as long as it has reasonably fast tracking.
I don't think so. First, the tracking accuracy of the current Natal is too poor for most FPS to work effectively. Second, there is NO effective "pointing" in the current Natal as far as I can see (unless they support some kind of additional and definite "tracker" besides just using your body). Third, how do they track some very small actions like firing the gun?
 

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Jun 10, 2004
59,901
0
0
Windsor, UK
good conference by Sony. They covered the bases well. Focus on lots of games for PSP to 'relaunch' with PSP GO make sense.
Glad they didn't announce ps3 slim or a price cut here. The games should give them a boost, as will the PSP go, and then a price cut/new model/both will help them come the fall.

And then a tease of future motion control stuff with that wacky glowstick thing. I don't get how that milo demo is anythign special - the camera is just passing video to the 360 which is doing all the facial expression recognition etc - surely eyetoy could do that if desired?

the key for me between the two is how accurate Natal is in a real home - you know, with bad lighting, in front of nasty wallpaper that matches your shirt. And also how it handles depth - anything in the same plane as the camera should be doable by eyetoy, so I'd be interested to see how well they handle depth perception on natal.
 
Dec 14, 2008
6,396
0
0
Paco said:
Haven't followed God of War 3 very closely, but it seems like the previous iterations with shinier graphics. Is it doing anything innovative? Not saying it needs to, just wondering.
I think God of War 2 was too good to be tampered with but I'm sure they will add things here and there that will improve the gameplay not necessary innovative but gives a better experience, anyway it's the end of the story and that's all that matters to me.

The only thing I noticed is the graping of enemies and riding them.
 
AnimeTheme said:
I don't think so. First, the tracking accuracy of the current Natal is too poor for most FPS to work effectively. Second, there is NO effective "pointing" in the current Natal as far as I can see (unless they support some kind of additional and definite "tracker" besides just using your body). Third, how do they track some very small actions like firing the gun?
how do you know this? have you used natal and can vouch for it's accuracy?
 
Giganticus said:
how do you know this? have you used natal and can vouch for it's accuracy?
It's pretty safe to assume that this early generation of "tracker-less" motion sensing technology can't be accurate, especially when you compare it with stuff like Wiimote and the PS3 wands. Even if you watch the E3 demos, you can easily tell that the accuracy is kinda poor. And I can't imagine how Natal can effectively implement a "pointer" function without a tracker.
 
AnimeTheme said:
It's pretty safe to assume that this early generation of "tracker-less" motion sensing technology can't be accurate, especially when you compare it with stuff like Wiimote and the PS3 wands. Even if you watch the E3 demos, you can easily tell that the accuracy is kinda poor.
"it just can't work, I'm sure of it, what with my qualifications in fuck-all and years of experience in E3 youtubes"
 
Dec 20, 2006
30,601
0
0
Columbus, OH
Giganticus said:
"it just can't work, I'm sure of it, what with my qualifications in fuck-all and years of experience in E3 youtubes"
And you're assuming that some tech demos that were thrown together in a few months, when we've heard that Milo is coming in Fall 2010 at the earliest, prove that it's uber-accurate and teh best thing evar. Both of you guys need to chill the heck out and sit back and enjoy the show. Natal looks nice, but it's obvious that Milo was heavily scripted and while promising, has a long way to go if they're promising full interactivity with humans.

Sony's thing was entertaining, I'll give it that. As far as the motion wand things, the accuracy looked really good... Very much on the fence regarding whether I would get those when they come out. One of my main gripes when I had a Wii was how inaccurate the controls were and how movements didn't register a lot of the time. Some of that is developer related, some of it was related to the Wiimote. Now they're going to have motion plus so that should be a non-issue. Sony's definitely looks promising and I think they'll make a better peripheral tech-wise, whether they can make it fun and catch on like the Wii is highly suspect, IMO.

eznark said:
I didn't watch the second half of the conference but it struck me this morning...no Sly 4 talk anywhere at e3?
Nope. No Ratchet talk either. Zero talk about Killzone expansions either.
 
Aug 14, 2007
6,655
0
0
Michigan
eznark said:
Aw man, I thought for sure after the inFamous nods to Sly that they'd announce a new one. Get Sucker Punch back to work now. inFamous 2 or Sly 4, don't care which.
Depends on how Infamous sells, I'd imagine. The last Ratchet kinda bombed if I'm not mistaken, whereas Infamous is getting a lot of positive attention from all the right places. I'm looking forward to seeing how it does in the NPDs, personally I think it's the best PS3 exclusive to date.

I should clarify that I know Ratchet and Sly are different games. But, the market for that kind of thing went to the Wii, I'm thinking.
 

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Jun 10, 2004
27,928
0
0
Ghost Leviathan said:
Gary is just confused as to why you're all being ultra-positive about Sony when they got hammered by Microsoft.
Hammered huh? Both conferences showed a lot of games. One had a hardware debut, both has tech demos of products not even close to being done with applications that are dubious at best with tons to prove and both has out of nowhere announcements. Oh, and both has their down parts too. Both has live demos of games we already knew about.

Hammered how? You can argue if MS' conference (as in the show) was better, sure. Content wise? Hammered is a bit fanboyish.
 

PuMa

Member
Mar 5, 2007
4,222
0
860
CT
Kintaro said:
Hammered huh? Both conferences showed a lot of games. One had a hardware debut, both has tech demos of products not even close to being done with applications that are dubious at best with tons to prove and both has out of nowhere announcements. Oh, and both has their down parts too. Both has live demos of games we already knew about.

Hammered how? You can argue if MS' conference (as in the show) was better, sure. Content wise? Hammered is a bit fanboyish.
Finally some sense. Cheers to you.
 
Jun 7, 2004
13,817
0
0
Thought the conference was great, i've only seen parts, but the motion controller, TLG and Uncharted is where its at. Very excited with PS3's future.

Im not into handhelds, would have been nice if they focused less on PSP i guess.
 

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Apr 23, 2007
11,666
0
0
Kintaro said:
? Hammered is a bit fanboyish.
a bit? In this case, i usually use the term asstons. Cause they both showed nearly the same amount of probable high rated exclusives. So if you see one side as having the better games.

*cue jeff foxworthy*

ya just might be a fanboy.
 
Jul 30, 2007
53,089
0
0
29
Chicago

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Dec 5, 2008
4,009
0
0
United States
Totobeni said:
after reading many pages of this thread ..I guess poor mod nation Racer is the victim of Trico , Uncharted 2 , GOW3 and GT5 no one even care about it , it was one of best things of Sony Conference :(
Came in here to post this, and maybe for some laughs too but mostly for ModNation Racers.

As far as games I was unaware of it's definitely the most promising thing to come out of the conference. Can't wait to see more of it, and how they plan on setting up the community.
 
Apr 9, 2007
2,490
0
0
Ghost Leviathan said:
Gary is just confused as to why you're all being ultra-positive about Sony when they got hammered by Microsoft.

Reminds me of the Gamecube era when fans would love anything Nintendo announced just to see the platform was still alive.
So showing More exclusives as opposed to more multiplatform GAMES IS BAD? HOLY SHIT SONY BE DOOMED!!!:lol

what about 360 losing exclusives....:lol

 
Apr 9, 2007
2,490
0
0
jonabbey said:
Lost Planet came out on PS3, it just suffered tremendously in comparison to the 360 version.

Hopefully LP2 is at parity, this time.
was just making a point on the most recent announcement i didnt want to bring up

Dead rising 2, Bioshock, "exclusive dlc you will only be able to get on xboxlive", etc.....
 
Oct 7, 2008
3,674
0
0
jonabbey said:
Lost Planet came out on PS3, it just suffered tremendously in comparison to the 360 version.

Hopefully LP2 is at parity, this time.
LP1 was ported by a different team studio though and not even Capcom. If you wanna see any indication of what LP2 might be on the PS3, you should look at how DMC4 and RE5 run on the PS3.
 
Jul 2, 2006
649
0
0
Game reveals and gameplay footage aside, Sony has clearly proven that they have learned nothing from pricing the PS3 at $600. Now they are going to price a remodeled PSP at $249? Really? In this economic climate?
 

yamo

Member
Dec 24, 2007
2,151
0
0
For someone who hasn't watched the whole conference, is the opening post updated or is it still only predictions?

Can't be arsed to watch it all, just want to read a quick summary somewhere.
 

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Jun 10, 2004
27,928
0
0
sinseers said:
Game reveals and gameplay footage aside, Sony has clearly proven that they have learned nothing from pricing the PS3 at $600. Now they are going to price a remodeled PSP at $249? Really? In this economic climate?
You got two choices. Buy the older model PSP for $169 (in this climate?!?) or the higher end, download only model for the higher end price. I think they will be fine. Especially with the games line up.

The price argument is getting old right now. Nothing will change their position this generation so desperately trying to collapse the price will just result in them losing much more money. Yet, they continue to give us great games across the platforms. Shouldn't that be good enough for a gaming fan? We want each company to do well, but their positions are cemented and each will focus on making profits. I understand if it's out of your price range, so just be patient and enjoy games elsewhere until it's not. The systems nor the games are going anywhere. They will be there for when/if you pick them up.
 

Raistlin

Post Count: 9999
Jun 17, 2004
44,499
0
0
mrklaw said:
the key for me between the two is how accurate Natal is in a real home - you know, with bad lighting, in front of nasty wallpaper that matches your shirt. And also how it handles depth - anything in the same plane as the camera should be doable by eyetoy, so I'd be interested to see how well they handle depth perception on natal.
I was under the impression the PS3 tech handles depth as well. I'm not sure what you mean?
 
Aug 14, 2007
6,655
0
0
Michigan
Kintaro said:
You got two choices. Buy the older model PSP for $169 (in this climate?!?) or the higher end, download only model for the higher end price. I think they will be fine. Especially with the games line up.
What I can't quite grasp is what about the Go is compelling enough to upgrade from an existing PSP. If you had an original fat, ok, makes sense. But a 2000 or 3000? It's not like going from a Lite to a DSi, where you get the cameras, SD card, online store, bigger screens, etc...

With a Go, you get 16 gigs of flash, a slightly smaller form factor, and the inability to play existing PSP games that aren't downloadable. For an $80 premium? I just don't see it.

I'm still very, very happy with my PSP slim Daxter pack. I'd have preferred black instead of silver, but at the time the black wasn't out yet.
 
Dec 7, 2007
2,592
0
0
Must say that i was positively surprised by Sony's conference. I only have a PS3 so far and judging from the E3 prehype, i thought MS would crush Sony with big name exclusives and such. And while not everything was that interesting in the Sony conference (i'm not really interested in psp, motion control and such), they had a decent line up of nice games, which is in the end, the most important aspect for a games console. It's a pity that so much of the stuff was leaked though. Imagine for example that Ico trailer without anyone seeing it before the show, it would have made an incredible impact. The whole conference would have made a bigger impact.

There's definately fun stuff for 2009 and 2010 on PS3. Lot's of nice PSN releases (trine, fat princess, pixeljunk shooter and others) and(t expansions (motorstorm, wipeout) and a good selection of exclusive and multiplatform games. I just hope that the multiplatform games will have good ports to the PS3, which hasn't always been the case in the past.
 

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Jun 10, 2004
27,928
0
0
Cheech said:
What I can't quite grasp is what about the Go is compelling enough to upgrade from an existing PSP. If you had an original fat, ok, makes sense. But a 2000 or 3000? It's not like going from a Lite to a DSi, where you get the cameras, SD card, online store, bigger screens, etc...

With a Go, you get 16 gigs of flash, a slightly smaller form factor, and the inability to play existing PSP games that aren't downloadable. For an $80 premium? I just don't see it.
The Go is for those people who whined and whined and whined and wanted a PSP without the UMD so it could be more like the iphone or whatever. On top of that, it is smaller, the screen is very nice and it's lighter. The impressions from those who have used it are generally pretty positive. Those people wanted it, now they get it. Of course, it's never good enough as you can read for yourself in this thread where people expected touch screens, cell phone service and blow jobs.

Whether you think it's worth it is up to you. Just pretend it doesn't exist and be happy with the games while those who wanted this version of the PSP will be happy with it. I promise you that month's "pick up thread" will be filled with them none the less. :lol