• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2011 EA Conference Thread [Over]

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Mr. Snrub said:
Destruction
Next gen lighting and animation = more realistic visuals
64 players (on PC :D)
Emphasis on teamwork
Ambitious, massive engagements/battles

Seriously, have none of you played Battlefield since Bad Company 1? Destruction in the game is a total gamechanger for rounds and Call of Duty has been fucking boring because it hasn't caught up.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: DESTRUCTION. NEEDS. TO. BE. IN. FPS. (and other games) it makes for changing tactics on the fly.

Mr. Snrub said:
Destruction
Next gen lighting and animation = more realistic visuals
64 players (on PC :D)
Emphasis on teamwork
Ambitious, massive engagements/battles
Nice bulletpoints, but outside of the technology the gameplay so far looks like MW on a next gen level. No real innovation in gameplay.

Like I said, I'm fucking HYPED for it, but some people seem to be shitting on MW3 when BF3 is doing a lot of the same things.

Linconan

Man, that just shitted all over Microsofts prez.
Thank goodness E3 is picking up.
And boy!, Battlefield3 looks killer.

Can't wait. But sadly, it looks like it should only be played on Pc since it'll outpace consoles graphically.
But unfortunately i'm a console player, so i'll take whatever EA brings me in regards to this after seeing that Demo and Vids on Battlefield3.

I did have giggles at the stabs towards COD though i must admit. That series started going down hill since they went after Halo3s title with MW.

Battlefield3 Day1

Whats next on the presentation list. hmmm

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Lovechild said:
xsNbm.jpg
What exactly are you trying to prove? You know where E3 is held right? You know EA is a western developer right? You know Madden makes them a shit load of money every year right? Oh well, I don't mind, I'm happy anytime a pic of Clay holding the Lombardi trophy is posted.

xbhaskarx

I think EA will almost certainly win E3 for me if I divide their games into Interested and Not Interested piles...

Interested
Battlefield 3
Mass Effect 3
The Old Republic
SSX
Reckoning
Overstrike
FIFA 12
Madden 12

Not Interested
Need for Speed: The Run
The Sims Social

4 to 1 ratio is pretty impressive...

Keikaku

Foliorum Viridum said:
Nice bulletpoints, but outside of the technology the gameplay so far looks like MW on a next gen level. No real innovation in gameplay.

Like I said, I'm fucking HYPED for it, but some people seem to be shitting on MW3 when BF3 is doing a lot of the same things.

The destructible environment makes a huge difference in the gameplay. BC2 was a big change from MW2 and, for me at least, a better one too.

I own CoD MW 1 & 2 and BC2 and I can safely say that the gameplay between them is not the same.

Oreoleo

JWong said:
Destructibility is not a BF series feature. Did they have buildings blowing up in 1942? Nope.

It's all about scale and vehicles.

There have been SIX main Battlefield games since 1942. Just because one from a decade ago doesn't have destructibility doesn't mean it isn't a feature of the franchise.

Rapstah

WinoMcCougarstein said:
What exactly are you trying to prove? You know where E3 is held right? You know EA is a western developer right? You know Madden makes them a shit load of money every year right?
So? They showed FIFA the game before and I don't really think he's trying to offend you.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Rapstah said:
So? They showed FIFA the game before and I don't really think he's trying to offend you.

I'm not offended, I'm just curious why anyone would go through the trouble of posting something like that. Is it meant to be funny?

Keikaku said:
The destructible environment makes a huge difference in the gameplay. BC2 was a big change from MW2 and, for me at least, a better one too.

I own CoD MW 1 & 2 and BC2 and I can safely say that the gameplay between them is not the same.
I'm talking about BF3, not BC2. The destructibility didn't make that much difference in BC2, IMO. It was a cool addition, but nothing that absolutely blew my mind.

So far everything BF3 has shown, other than the open tank battles, looks like MW3 gameplay in a much better engine. That's all I'm saying.

xXJonoXx

I don't think Need for Speed: The Run is getting enough credit for trying to be different. You guys just want another sequel? I like studios taking chances, and if it's anything like Most Wanted I'll love.

JWong

Banned
Orellio said:
There have been SIX main Battlefield games since 1942. Just because one from a decade ago doesn't have destructibility doesn't mean it isn't a feature of the franchise.
Destructibility was a main feature in Bad Company. That wasn't even half of the series.

Rapstah

xXJonoXx said:
I don't think Need for Speed: The Run is getting enough credit for trying to be different. You guys just want another sequel? I like studios taking chances, and if it's anything like Most Wanted I'll love.
It's like they're doing walled-in scripted races of the free roaming experience of Most Wanted with scripted Bourne-style QTEs now and then.

X26

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm talking about BF3, not BC2. The destructibility didn't make that much difference in BC2, IMO. It was a cool addition, but nothing that absolutely blew my mind.

So far everything BF3 has shown, other than the open tank battles, looks like MW3 gameplay in a much better engine. That's all I'm saying.

never played MP I guess

Oreoleo

WinoMcCougarstein said:
I'm not offended, I'm just curious why anyone would go through the trouble of posting something like that. Is it meant to be funny?

Did you keep up with the thread during the live stream? For every US GAFer shouting "HILLIS!" or "MURDERER ON STAGE" there was a non-US GAFer going "da fuck are these people?" The pic isn't without merit, I found it amusing.

JWong said:
Destructibility was a main feature in Bad Company. That wasn't even half of the series.

1943 as well. I haven't played the older games so I can't comment, but to suggest destructibility isn't an expected franchise feature at this point is ignorant.

Foliorum Viridum said:

Seriously? Destruction makes every round slightly different, at the very least. It's not a huge game changer, but I'd expect it in every FPS in the future, because every game played without it feels like it's missing something now. 64 players is not a gameplay feature? Huge battles/scope? May not be new but it's different from the COD model that a lot of shooters want to copy.

arab

Foliorum Viridum said:

you've never had the satisfaction of blowing a camper away by shooting an explosive at the window he's hiding behind? you've never had the satisfaction of destroying the building that the M-COM station was located in because your team was getting ambushed from the other side of the map? you've never taken down half the enemy time in said building destruction?

SHAME

Jburton

Banned
A far better conference by miles than the MS travesty.

Not sure about Need for Speed on foot sections although the driving, premise and online look excellent.

Battlefield looks ready to surplant and surpass COD as the premier FPS franchise.

FIFA and Madden look excellent.

It seems that EA will be all over the Sony conference, PS3 seems to be lead sku for most games.

Battlefield 3 to premier on console at Sony conference would be my prediction.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I didn't, actually. I'm not going to comment on that.

I'm just talking about the single player footage we've seen so far.

Oh wow.

I don't think anyone said the SP is gonna bring too much new to the table--I'm just expecting something solid. MP is where all of BF's innovation is.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Destructibility should be in every FPS from this point forward. It adds a ton to realism and there is no reason it shouldn't be there.

Mr. Snrub said:
Oh wow.

I don't think anyone said the SP is gonna bring too much new to the table--I'm just expecting something solid. MP is where all of BF's innovation is.
Lots of people, have, actually. Check other MW3 threads where people complain it's the same old shit and can't wait for BF3, but here we are and the campaign for BF3 has most of those elements too.

I totally agree that MP is going to be a completely different animal :)

Rainier

xXJonoXx said:
Ya, I agree. The visuals looked great, the idea of racing across the US sounds fun, and if I have to press 'X' to trigger a cutscene... hell, that's something I can live with.

JWong

Banned
Orellio said:
1943 as well. I haven't played the older games so I can't comment, but to suggest destructibility isn't an expected franchise feature at this point is ignorant.
It's also ignorant to say that destructibility happened throughout the series when it's not.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Lots of people, have, actually. Check other MW3 threads where people complain it's the same old shit and can't wait for BF3, but here we are and the campaign for BF3 has most of those elements too.

I totally agree that MP is going to be a completely different animal :)
Ah, well. I'd be inclined to agree with you. SP is beautiful but nothing shown looks too different. The press release even says you'll be playing multiple characters in SP.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
I wish they would've gone into Overstrike in more detail. Oh well. EA had a solid conference. Microsoft should take notes.

Mr. Snrub said:
Ah, well. I'd be inclined to agree with you. SP is beautiful but nothing shown looks too different. The press release even says you'll be playing multiple characters in SP.
Haha, yeah, the similarities keep getting more apparent. :)

I should've made it more clear I was just talking about SP, I guess. The engine alone makes it more exciting than MW3 at the moment, though, even if I'm not convinced it will do all that much different!

Oreoleo

JWong said:
It's also ignorant to say that destructibility happened throughout the series when it's not.

Except I never said that. You mentioned 1942 specifically and I replied in kind, pointing to the age of the game and suggesting that the franchise has added features over time. In the post you quoted I even said I couldn't comment on the older games and their level of destructibility. Nice try though.

DMczaf

Now I'm just imagining Need for Speed The Run 2 with NFS racing + Mirror's Edge on-foot chases between races.

...make it happen.

They didn't show Shadows of the Damned. It's like two weeks away from release. You'd think they'd want to get the game some PR by bringing Suda and Mikami out on stage together.

Truespeed

Getting a moistened Ray Lewis and Clay Mathews on stage together to announce the unexpected Madden 12 was a surprise. I thought the Battlefield 3 demo was a bit underwhelming. Sure, the FB2 engine may be superior, but the demo went on far too long and wasn't as exciting as the MW3 demo. I had my thumbs crossed they would blow the doors off the MW3 demo to put the game in the best possible light, but I just wasn't impressed. Also, aren't the console versions still 30 FPS?

J-Rzez

Definitely annoyed that all we saw was such a short snippet of MP footage like that for BF3. I mean, that's it's main point, and that's what I (we?) wanted to see, not some by the numbers SP stuff. The game looks incredible though, the visuals are so so nice. It's nice to see there's an "Open Beta" in Sept was it? But what about those that bought BC2 to get the early beta access thing?

Nice to see the launch date was given as well, Oct 25.

Insomniac's game looks just like what you'd expect from them with the weapons and humor, definitely color me interested in it.

Zero footage of SWTOR, but I guess there's an event for that later. Their "CG" ceratinly looks better than Blizzards though lol.

Can't say I'm digging that new Fast 5 game though. TBH, my gut isn't liking where N4S is going with this on foot stuff, I wish it stayed in a purest sense.

Much better conference than the MS one though.

JWong

Banned
Orellio said:
Except I never said that. You mentioned 1942 specifically and I replied in kind, pointing to the age of the game and suggesting that the franchise has added features over time. In the post you quoted I even said I couldn't comment on the older games and their level of destructibility. Nice try though.
No, you said destructibility is a feature of the Battlefield series.

Battlefield Series

Series.

So wrong. You haven't played BF back in the 1942 days. It's all about vehicles and scale, which that demo appropriately shown.

Oreoleo

JWong said:
No, you said destructibility is a feature of the Battlefield series.

Battlefield Series

Series.

So wrong. You haven't played BF back in the 1942 days. It's all about vehicles and scale, which that demo appropriately shown.

Battlefield: Bad Company
Battlefield: 1943
Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Yes, vehicles and scale are part of what makes Battlefield what it is. I don't see how what I said is wrong or is mutually exclusive to the large scale and vehicular combat.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Nfs to me went like this.

Ea: it's a new nfs, the goal is to travel from one side of the country to the other, breaking times online to be the best and quickest racer.
Me: oh sweet it's cannonball run, awesome.
EA: there will be on foot segments as well, a first time for the series.
ME: oh sweet, maybe I can and need to steal another car or my car breaks down. Hopefully the game would point out fancy cars on the map so I'm not stuck with a olds mobile and depending on which cars are available in the area It could be a risk traveling a further distance for a better car.
EA: *crash* running through some building up stairs, triangle, triangle, triangle!
ME: what the fuck is this?
EA: more triangles! Attack a cop with more triangles, steal his car.
ME: what
EA: drive away time but get shot at by a chopper 1000 times and continue to drive without issues.
ME: this cop car sure is durable.
EA: get shot at some more, on no a tanker has exploded, drive off the side and crash. Triangles are back baby!
ME: god dammit what the fuck did I just watch.

That was the only real disappointment of the show for me. I wanted another nfs to be awesome but what they showed looked really iffy.

JWong

Banned
So if the QTE sequences were shorter, would it be better?

It seems like the foot running was a way to continue racing without being a game over, but I guess it's scripted. It'd be cool if those sequences were all over the track, and if you crash, you'd be slowed down by doing that QTE bit to another car so you can get back in the race.

Top Bottom