• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2014 | Nintendo Digital Event

tkscz

So the main criticisms of Sony and MS were;

1.) Too much 2015
2.) Too much non-gameplay trailers
3.) Too long spent talking about certain things

Are people fine with those things from Nintendo all of a sudden?

1) Everyone is complaining about that in this thread.
2) Only 3 games had CG trailers, but again, no one was happy that the Zelda trailer was just CG.
3) They really didn't and in this case, that might have been an issue. Nintendo's was too short IMO.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Erik serving for the stars.

oBbDMRL.jpg

i'm literally so jealous of her rn, the guy on the right serving adam levine's gay brother realness is so fine

meanspartan

Great show, but they needed to announce a price cut to $250. If more of those awesome announced titles were coming this year, then they could have gotten away with no price cut. But 2014 is still pretty light. Wii U will continue to limp along.

At least they confirmed their status as a childrens company.

is there something wrong with that? people enjoy Pixar movies.. Nintendo is the same thing. They appeal to a broad audience. there is nothing wrong with that. If you don't like it that's fine.

I was at the E3 theater thing for Sony last night and hearing the entire crowd cheer and laugh at the violence on screen is a different kind of entertainment not better or worse.

Kriken

No its actually pretty sad. Nintendo has absolutely nothing. Star fox is a demo that will be included in the other robot games. 4 seconds of zelda nothing to show. Nintendo is dead.

It's over, period. Nintendo lost their last ace, and that's the end of their Wii U hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for Wii U. Nintendo has nothing left, nothing they can reveal tomorrow would fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for any one, hardcore or casual, to substantively invest in a Wii U. Except if they want to play Zelda U. Which will come to PS4 at some point.

The age of Nintendo is done.

Am I doing this right?

People actually thought Nintendo did a bad job? What, really? WTF did ya'll want from them?

For me:

Sony: B+
Microsoft: A
Nintendo: A+
EA: F
Ubisoft: C+

Do note. I'm never ever going to buy an Xbox One. But Scalebound really impressed me, and Project Spark looks better than LBP3. I don't like Microsoft, so I guess I watched their conference expecting nothing and was pleasantly surprised. While I've been a fan of Sony since the PS1 and was kinda let down by the games they showed off and the lack of interesting surprises. (No love for Bloodborne.)

Nintendo's conference was just...nice. More of that "games only" philosophy we've seen this E3.

Less chatting, less Smash, in fact less Mario-verse in general, and more new stuff. Any other company would get laughed out of the room if they spent several minutes in a half-hour show announcing a new character in a fighting game.

Tenck

1.) Too much 2015

1: You mind directly linking people who said Nintendo won with 2015 announcements and criticized MS and Sony?

2: There was very little non-gameplay from Nintendo.

3: At least we're not getting numbers discussions for a while like Sony.

Koren

No Animal Crossing Wii U news, right? That was going to be how I convinced my wife we needed to get a Wii U.
Actually, I prefer they support AC 3DS a bit more and try to create a game on Wii U that feels better than an iteration than publishing a AC U* just 18 months after the 3DS one.

* damn AC U is already used :D

Nintendo really impressed me with that.

Bayonetta 1 included with 2 and Nintendo costumes was a nice surprise.

Zelda looks amazing, Splatoon looks interesting.

Yoshi game looks jaw droppingly gorgeous.

X delay is unbelievably lame.

mreddie

Nintendo: A
Sony: A-
Microsoft: B+
Ubisoft: B
EA: Zzzzzzzzz I mean, D.

E3 this year was well done, problem is a lot 2015 stuff. There was some games coming this year but it seems October is now Broketober.

BajiBoxer

Banned

1.) Too much 2015

1. I agree, but not really unexpected considering Nintendo's early troubles with HD and third party relationships.
2. Nintendo showed gameplay for just about everything so I don't know what you're talking about.
3. Nintendo didn't spend ages talking about non-game related content, so again... don't know what you're talking about.

Gabe3208

Banned
Nintendo gets an E- from me. They're completely disconnected from the market, totally niche and uninspired.

IMHO, there's literally no reason for a seperate Nintendo console at this point. You shouldn't have to buy an extra console to play just one special sort of content.

That's like Marvel only shipping all of their content on a Marvel disk, that can only be played exclusively using the Marvel Player.

^
gladiator-thumbs-down.gif

So I shouldn't own a Wii U and therfore never be able to play all the different varieties of Mario games available (Mario Party, NSMBU, SM3DW, etc.), Bayonetta 2(Bayo 1 included in the disc as well, AWESOME!!!), Devil's Third, TLoZ Wii U, SSB Wii U, Hyrule Warriors, Xenoblade Chronicles Wii U, SMTxFE, Yoshi's Wooly World, Splatoon, Kirby's Rainbow Curse, Captain Toad???

All exclusives to Wii U and so I should pass? I don't think so.

That's what I was thinking, I came away thinking "lot of cool stuff, for NEXT YEAR"

See, this is why I give the edge to Sony. All conferences had the same 2014 schedule (2 big exclusive games). People moan about CG Uncharted when we got CG Zelda. I liked what we got out of the conference, but Yarn Yoshi went on for way too long and we knew about most of the games coming. Overall, 2014 was pretty week. That being said, E3 2015 is going to be awesome!

Nintendo really impressed me with that.

Bayonetta 1 included with 2 and Nintendo costumes was a nice surprise.

Zelda looks amazing, Splatoon looks interesting.

Yoshi game looks jaw droppingly gorgeous.

X delay is unbelievably lame

Not if they use the time to clean up those faces. Ugh.

Great show, but they needed to announce a price cut to $250. If more of those awesome announced titles were coming this year, then they could have gotten away with no price cut. But 2014 is still pretty light. Wii U will continue to limp along.

The standard Wii U is $250. The Refurb is deluxe is $200.

I wonder if the 3DS roundtable really is going to be Majora's Mask 3D. I can't see them spending all of that time on Pokemon remakes, and they didn't exactly show any significant 1st party 3DS games.

I'm surprised ppl are rating Sony's E3 so high, it was downright depressing imo.

Sure Bloodborne looks fantastic, however FROM will be making similar games for other platforms

Cheech

I find that more kids play asscreed and halo than mario games :O

Everybody of all ages play more "asscreed" and Halo than Mario games. That's the problem. By continuing to offer them on a system nobody wants, Nintendo's IPs are depreciating. Simply put, people are going to forget about Mario and Zelda if Nintendo keeps them walled off and not on hardware people actually own.

Duxxy3

So no matter if you're a Sony fan, Microsoft Fan or a Nintendo fan we can all agree on one simple truth - EA's conference sucked.

SegaShack

No its actually pretty sad. Nintendo has absolutely nothing. Star fox is a demo that will be included in the other robot games. 4 seconds of zelda nothing to show. Nintendo is dead.
I agree with you bud. You speak the truth. This event just gave a small tease of Zelda with no gameplay. They addressed no criticism and are continually making themselves irrelevant. They always seem oblivious to what people want.

They have millions of 3DS owners who are now abandoned.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Nintendo had way more Day 1's for me than the other 2

Day 1 Nintendo:
Kirby Rainbow Curse
Yoshi's Wooly Whatever
Zelda U
Splatoon
Captain Toad
Bayonetta 2

Day 1 Sony:
Uncharted
No Man's Sky
Bloodborne

Day 1 MS:
Masterchief Collection
Inside
Ori

See, this is why I give the edge to Sony. All conferences had the same 2014 schedule (2 big exclusive games). People moan about CG Uncharted when we got CG Zelda. I liked what we got out of the conference, but Yarn Yoshi went on for way too long and we knew about most of the games coming. Overall, 2014 was pretty week. That being said, E3 2015 is going to be awesome!

I agree with everything besides the bolded. Has zelda ever had a cg trailer?

Dysun

Zelda U, Xenoblade, and Pokemon remakes looked great. Will pick those up

Meh to everything else, still way better than the EA shitshow

a916

Microsoft - 9 games, games, games, Halo 5 gameplay would've really raised the bar, Unity looked amazing as did Division
Sony - 8.5 would've been 9 if they didn't waste that half hour, Arkham Knight, UC looked unreal
Nintendo - 6 almost nothing in that video appealed to me... Zelda art style was interesting, open world sounds amazing though

Ubisoft - 7.5 - Two real big low points but Rainbow 6 was beyond ridiculous and Division/Far Cry/AC Unity looked great
EA - 4 - What was that? Save for the sports games and the Sims, they had nothing ready

elty

Nintendo pulled out big first party guns and the salvo mostly hit the target. It makes me wonder wtf is Sony doing with their studios. Other than Bloodborne (which is not even first party) nothing interesting came out.

Nintendo - A-
Microsoft - B+
Sony - B
Ubisoft - C+
EA - D-

I thought the big 3 all had great games and which you prefer is just down to your preferred franchises. Based on games alone (and realistic expectations), I'd rate them pretty much equally, but adjust ratings slightly based on the pacing and quality of the presentations. Aside from EA, which seemed to be a work in progress for their E3 2015 presentation.

stilgar

The jokes at the journalist at the beginning were fun

The general style with claypuppets was awesome

All in all, I like pre-recorded Nintendo E3 more than awkward silence & fake applause live conferences.

I agree with you bud. You speak the truth. This event just gave a small tease of Zelda with no gameplay. They addressed no criticism and are continually making themselves irrelevant. They always seem oblivious to what people want.

They have millions of 3DS owners who are now abandoned.

8/10. Had me right up until you said the 3DS is abandoned.

spliced

I had low expectations so I'm not super disappointed or anything, last year was my year.

Captain toad was a nice surprise, I hope it has a retail release.

The Zelda reveal was weird, they hardly showed anything although it looks graphically quite similar to SS. I'll have to hear more as the show goes on to form an opinion,

So refreshing to see so much unscripted gameplay. Watching all the scripted stuff at the other press conferences was just awful. They're like light gun games with a controller.

I really liked that show.

1) Everyone is complaining about that in this thread.
2) Only 3 games had CG trailers, but again, no one was happy that the Zelda trailer was just CG.
3) They really didn't and in this case, that might have been an issue. Nintendo's was too short IMO.

I don't think any of these are strong enough arguments for his complaints.

Spineker

Banned
I was convinced my second console would be Xbone but Wii U has it sown up now, which shocks me.

Zelda is just too irresistible.

Top Bottom