• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2014 | Nintendo Digital Event

Swarming101

Nintendo pretty much nailed it in my opinion.

• Zelda U looks incredible. Beautiful graphics and art style and the idea of a much more open world Zelda sounds really exciting
  • The Toad spinoff game looks fun, looks sort of isometric/puzzle solving
  • The Kirby and Yoshi games looked unbelievably adorable and happy and they just make me smile
  • Mario Maker looks like it'll be a lot of fun - surprised Nintendo didn't think about this idea before to be honest!
  • Xenoblade X looked as great as I expected, and now we know it's coming next year - if it's anywhere near Xenoblade Chronicles' quality then we're in for a treat.
  • Bayonetta 2 comes with the original game as well - I'm not a fan of these sorts of action games but it looks cool anyway and the bundle is a fantastic idea for those who never played the original
  • Splatoon looked way more fun than I think it would have done if I'd just read it on paper.
  • Hyrule Warriors looked pretty cool - never played Dynasty Warriors but I'll wait for the reviews and see how the game shapes up
  • They also announced Mario Party 10, Mario vs Donkey Kong, Fantasy Life on 3DS, as well as trailers for Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate and FF Theatrythm
Sure, a lot of those games are coming out next year but now we know they're coming out next year. And if you're like me and don't already have a Wii U there's already plenty of stuff to play. I'm ordering a Wii U/Mario Kart 8 bundle as well as Wind Waker HD and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, and I find it hard to believe that won't tide me over until November when all these AAA releases are out on PS4. Plus there's now GBA and older games on the Wii U Store like Mother 3 and Golden Sun. There's plenty to play, so to be honest if the current lineup, Smash Bros later this year, and the prospects for 2015 including the new Zelda and Xenoblade Chronicles aren't enough for you to put down $299 on the console, then nothing will ever convince you. They're not even charging you for the online services.

Woffls

That event destroyed my expectations. Got about as much as expected for Zelda, and now I'm suitably optimistic about life in general. Thanks, Nintendo.

Red

Is the event up anywhere except youtube yet? For some reason the youtube stream isn't working for me. Keep getting an error trying to start it up.

Nintendo is doing E3 brilliantly this year. Reggie said it on the stream but E3 is a 4 day marathon. Why announce all your content, games, and platforms at once? Spread out the content between multiple days that way you retain mindshare and still have people talking for 3-4 straight days.

They will breaking more news, all day today, and all day tomorrow.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Are you guys shitting me with the metroid teases? Star Fox confirmed today - Metroid perhaps tomorrow?

That's... What we've been begging for forever around here

Mistle

it's 3:40am in australia but by the time i cool down from excitement and sleep, it'll be close to 6:30am, when the smash tourney starts!!

The reason some expected to see something is because DKC was actually completed back in September of last year, even though it wasn't released until Feb. Many thought that with the time given, and the fact that they have a second team means that they would have something to show.
They said many times that Retro was only working on Donkey Kong. Was there a confirmation that the game was completed in September?

lt519

I have to say regardless of games and release dates, this was the most fun conference to watch of all three. I laughed several times at the claymation, the mario jokes, and the fighting scene. I really enjoyed the talk about the Yarn Yoshi game and developer insight into Splatoon. So much better than an overblown press conference. Keep doing your thing Nintendo.

What about it is more innovative than anything Nintendo showed? First person mode shooting with colors?

A fully-procedurally generated universe of effectively infinite size that is only created as you explore it? There is more to it than that, but it really doesn't take more for it to be more innovative than what we saw out of Nintendo when the big highlights included things like a near-LBP clone and a Mario level editor.

It's not like free-roaming space shooters are a dime a dozen these days either.

wiiu_zelda_scrn02_e3y4uj9.png

Low poly and bad textures saved by a toon shader... meh.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Sooooo... Miyamoto is working on FUCKING STARFOX!

Hope it really gets released on WiiU and doesn't end up as a case of Pikmin 3

I'm disappointed in the lack of Sonic Boom and casual titles. Too much core Nintendo focus / 10

...said no one ever?

lol.

Anyways, it was nice hearing from the regginator that E3 is a marathon, not a sprint, and they will be releasing new info a little bit at a time throughout the show.

Shaii

Speechless, this was simply too amazing.. Zelda looks absolutely unbelievable and Splattoon was such a fresh take on the genre

lt519

A fully-procedurally generated universe of effectively infinite size that is only created as you explore it? There is more to it than that, but it really doesn't take more for it to be more innovative than what we saw out of Nintendo when the big highlights included things like a near-LBP clone and a Mario level editor.

If you are referring to Yoshi that is no where near a LBP clone. That is Yoshi's Island gameplay through and through. Just because it has a knitted asthetic doesn't make it a clone.

xBladeM6x

Dammit Nintendo. I didn't want to spend money on a Wii U. Now you're forcing my hand with this Zelda game. It's so awesome looking. :eek:

Ansatz

It's not like free-roaming space shooters are a dime a dozen these days either.

Innovating in the wrong way for me, generated means it will have garbage level design from a mechanical perpsective.

MS: C
EA: D
Ubi: B
Sony: B-
Nintendo: B

Didnt see the ubi one but for me is exactly this.
BTW C for microsoft woudnt be bad in my eyes, it was good, it had a better pace than sony's one for example.

Probably would change to a B+ for nintendo, apart from Yoshi taking too much time, the pace was phenomenal, and the humour was great.

What I think on Nintendo's E3 show.
Pros
  • Legend of Zelda
  • Kirby :D
  • Mario Party
  • That Captian Toad game
  • New Smash Bros Characters (Dark Pit?)
  • STARFOXXXXXXXXXX YEAH! BARREL ROLLS FOR ALL
Cons
  • Short- i wanted it to be longer
  • Devil's Third(im gonna put this on my ehhhhhh list)
  • No Metroid :(
  • No Pokken Fighters :(
  • Those Robot Chicken Sketches(it's not fucking 2007 anymore and none of them were funny, stop giving Seth Green money.
  • No Mention on SMT X Fire Emblem
Honestly it was an okay Press conference no megatons, but the Wii U doesn't look bare anymore which is great.

Overall-B+,

Ya did good Nintendo. Honestly i think Sony's 1st half and Nintendo's E3 Combined were the best part of E3.

So, to Recap

MS- a Soft B (wink)
EA- F-
Ubi-C+
Sony- B+
Nintendo- B+

Sheroking

Totally cool with Nintendo maintaining this style of presentation. Funny, charming, nicely paced, not filled with total PR horseshit at every turn.

My favorite Nintendo conference since 2010 easily.

So only Bayonetta and Smash for Christmas 2014? Along with everyone else delaying games, 2015 is looking to be 1998-tier.

Well, the Captain Toad game and Hyrule Warriors in September.

I'm not giving their press conference a grade. Nintendo has too much to announce throughout E3 to grade them on one 45 minute event. As far as we know they have 5 other games to announce.

Top Bottom